The Summer of *Massive Change

Valencia Shin Crosses

Has this ever worked? sign a player to be a substitute for another player until they leave? People always say it, but does it ever work?
Normally what happens is either they are good enough to replace them off the bat, or they become a squad player, the lack of regular football hurts their progression and they eventually drift into obscurity and leave the club.
They'd be closer to splitting time than the signing being just a sub, because Ronaldo can't play every game like we had him do this year. And to answer your original question, yes and his name is Luis Diaz (along with a million other examples but this is just the most recent one)

Ahmer Baig

I bet no one knows how many players will be sold and how many will be incoming. All pure speculations.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
That much is true, however, it's worth remembering that we've also never had a potential summer in which so much internal restructuring is happening, which will provide an idealogue like Ten Hag with a lot of the organisational support that his predecessors didn't have.
I just don't want to get my hopes up too much and given how little we're going to make on sales with so many leaving for free, I'm struggling to see us getting more than four -five at a push- new faces in.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't think it will be as many leaving as you think.
  • Jones - won't go anywhere as no one will buy him and he has 1 more year on contract
  • Henderson, is one of the best-paid goalkeepers in world football - if he goes it will only be a loan, and if he does go on loan we won't replace him.
  • Bailey - again could only leave on loan due to wages and injury record
  • Martial - No chance of getting a buyer for him after Servilla will probably struggle to find even a loan move with his wages
  • Wan-Bissaka - Isn't going anywhere
  • Tuanzebe - I think after the awful loan spell he has had there is a good chance he will just sit tight and try his look under a new manager
  • Van De Beek - Will definitely stay with Ten Hag coming in and Pogba leaving
  • Rashford - Unless we get a crazy offer for him I can't see him leaving
We will probably bring in 3 signings- a maximum of 4 and that will be it. It's not going to be a massive change, slightly bigger than an average summer but that's about it.
They're all making 25% less next season due to not qualifying for the CL, that could be enough for some clubs to be interested in paying their wages.

- Jones almost left in January (on loan) to Nice I think, but he turned it down last minute because they couldn't guarantee him first team football. Safe to say he's off, maybe on loan, maybe permanent if he get's promised football.
- Henderson will be on £75k a week next season. It's a lot for a GK but Chelsea, Newcastle etc were interested last summer. He'll leave on loan or otherwise.
- Bailly was supposed to go on loan to AC Milan in January but got injured. He's off.
- Martial has been offered £12.4m to tear his contract up this summer. You would imagine he'll take that if we can't sell him.
- Wan-Bisska is in deep negotiations to go on loan back to Palace next season.
- Tuanzebe hasn't made it in the first team or played regular football for years, he will probably take a Championship move in the summer
- Van De Beek will probably stay another year.
- Rashford will go if we get a big offer but it's highly unlikely.

crossy1686

career ending
I just don't want to get my hopes up too much and given how little we're going to make on sales with so many leaving for free, I'm struggling to see us getting more than four -five at a push- new faces in.
Four or five quality signings would be a dream to be honest. Some of the names we're being linked with now sound way better than the Cavani's/Pogba's/Lukaku's we've been linked with in the past

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Four or five quality signings would be a dream to be honest. Some of the names we're being linked with now sound way better than the Cavani's/Pogba's/Lukaku's we've been linked with in the past
True and top CB, FB, CMx2 and ST would be amazing, but seems a big ask. We live in hope and our scouting and youth dev will hopefully start improving markedly too.

Hoof the ball

Yeah, with the given amount we're set to spend you don't want to overemphasise numerical replacement in place of quality improvement. By my estimations we had too large a squad, so the idea of replacing number-for-number is improbable anyway, so, I hope that this summer is one of surgical precision

Revaulx

They're all making 25% less next season due to not qualifying for the CL, that could be enough for some clubs to be interested in paying their wages.

- Jones almost left in January (on loan) to Nice I think, but he turned it down last minute because they couldn't guarantee him first team football. Safe to say he's off, maybe on loan, maybe permanent if he get's promised football.
- Henderson will be on £75k a week next season. It's a lot for a GK but Chelsea, Newcastle etc were interested last summer. He'll leave on loan or otherwise.
- Bailly was supposed to go on loan to AC Milan in January but got injured. He's off.
- Martial has been offered £12.4m to tear his contract up this summer. You would imagine he'll take that if we can't sell him.
- Wan-Bisska is in deep negotiations to go on loan back to Palace next season.
- Tuanzebe hasn't made it in the first team or played regular football for years, he will probably take a Championship move in the summer
- Van De Beek will probably stay another year.
- Rashford will go if we get a big offer but it's highly unlikely.
That sounds pretty reasonable.

If we manage to pay off Martial, sell one of the deadwood defenders and loan AWB, that would be a significant statement of intent.

Given it's highly unlikely we'll be signing a keeper, IF Henderson is happy to stay on I could see ETH wanting to give him a chance to impress. I won't be bothered either way, unless it's true that he's a Leak Rat, in which case he needs to go.

lex talionis

Has this ever worked? sign a player to be a substitute for another player until they leave? People always say it, but does it ever work?
Normally what happens is either they are good enough to replace them off the bat, or they become a squad player, the lack of regular football hurts their progression and they eventually drift into obscurity and leave the club.
It's a reasonable question, but I don't see any other prudent course to take than to bring in a proven or promising 9 while we still have Ronaldo.

No news here, but Martial is done, Cavani is leaving, Rashford never was a 9 and Elanga looks more a wide forward than a 9. We're likely keeping Ronaldo but we can't go into the next season without a backup for Ronaldo, who surely will only be here one more season at most.

It's a predicament, but unless Ronaldo does leave we have to bring in a 9 and if he doesn't leave we can't put all our scoring eggs in the Ronaldo basket.

Jacob

Has any club ever had a massive overhaul over one summer?

lilcurt

I could bet my mortgage that outside of those leaving in a free we will only manage to sell one or two players.

Combination of fat contracts and the club being unwilling to accept losses will hold us back.

My main issue is that in my opinion the players who need to be shipped are also the expensive ones or posters boys the club won't want to lose face on.

AWB
Maguire
Rashford
Telles

These four should be sold as they aren't good enough and doubt they ever can be. How Rashford has downed tools this last month or so I find unforgivable, along with his camp leaking frustrations to the media.

Let's see what happens. But we struggle to bring one or two in within a reasonable window so the thought of shipping and bringing in a large number of playing staff I am very skeptical we have the capability of doing.

lilcurt

Has any club ever had a massive overhaul over one summer?
Chelsea made a lot of changes in one summer under Lampard didn't they?

Newcastle made quite a few changes in January and I imagine will go again in the summer.

pascell

Players leaving are:

Pogba
Lingard
Henderson (likely)
Martial (likely)
Matic
Mata
Jones (maybe)
Greenwood (likely)
Bailly (likely)
Wan-Bissaka (maybe)
Cavani
Tuanzebe (likely)
Van De Beek (was likely, now a maybe)
Rashford (not likely but strong rumours the club and him are willing to part ways this summer for the best of all parties)
Out of all these that have been listed, how many have positively contributed this season?

I'd say Matic and at a push, Pogba at the beginning of the season. The rest haven't done anything of note, even Rashford has been very poor. So losing them won't effect us much, as they haven't contributed.

Red00012

People are going to be very disappointed when 10 players don’t leave the club. It’ll be 6/7 max

wolvored

I'm going 5 new players in summer window and another 5 in summer 23. Can't see much going on in winter window with World Cup and all.

That be 10 new players in over 2 summer windows.

Needs to be done to have any chance of competing
Yes i agree i think 5 this season and 4-5 next. Maybe 3 or 4 good established players and 1 or 2 around age18-21 good youth players come in. Depends how much transfer money will be made available. I think 3-4:will also be promoted from the youth to get regular game time

Giggsy13

People are going to be very disappointed when 10 players don’t leave the club. It’ll be 6/7 max
No club can undergo that type of overhaul in one summer. Apart from the expiring contracts, I can only see Bailly, Jones and Martial leaving. The club will want to see whether Ten Hag's management could get players like AWB, Maguire, Rashford and Shaw playing at a higher level.

Kag

I don’t think there’ll be all that much at all. Halfwits like Pereira will still be hanging around come September and the likelihood is that we’ll be several players short having proven incapable of managing the turnover needed in order to really see change. Some of you lot are pie in the sky.

Irwin99

Think it will genuinely happen this time and there'll be a proper clear out and 4 or 5 incoming. Whether or not it makes some of the fans happy is another matter.

Zlatattack

I'm glad we've got so many moving out.

Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Cavani.

Reports the Bailly and Jones are leaving too.

A big clear out is exactly what we need.

Blindpew

I do wonder which players who we have all probably given up on, actually turn it around under Ten Hag and start performing?

Will he get a tune out of Martial for example?

Like many others, we’re unlikely to sell him and there aren’t many clubs willing to pay his wages on a loan…

RkkMan

I don't think it will be as many leaving as you think.
  • Jones - won't go anywhere as no one will buy him and he has 1 more year on contract
  • Henderson, is one of the best-paid goalkeepers in world football - if he goes it will only be a loan, and if he does go on loan we won't replace him.
  • Bailey - again could only leave on loan due to wages and injury record
  • Martial - No chance of getting a buyer for him after Servilla will probably struggle to find even a loan move with his wages
  • Wan-Bissaka - Isn't going anywhere
  • Tuanzebe - I think after the awful loan spell he has had there is a good chance he will just sit tight and try his look under a new manager
  • Van De Beek - Will definitely stay with Ten Hag coming in and Pogba leaving
  • Rashford - Unless we get a crazy offer for him I can't see him leaving
We will probably bring in 3 signings- a maximum of 4 and that will be it. It's not going to be a massive change, slightly bigger than an average summer but that's about it.
Jones- Inclined to agree but he almost joined Bordeaux in January on loan so maybe he leaves on loan
Bailly- Almost joined AC Milan permanently in January. Despite his injury record he has stock that can generate a permanent transfer albeit for a small fee
Martial- Agreed it won't be easy to find a club even on loan
Wan Bissaka- Don't rule out Palace. They've spent close to £60m combined on bums like Sakho and Benteke pretty sure they can afford at least £20m for a former academy player that's still 24
Tuanzebe- One year left on his contract. The wise thing to do is to sell while he still has value. He's just on 20k a week so he's affordable to many clubs
Rashford- His contract situation may force us to sell if him and Ten Hag can't come to an agreement on playing time. He still has enough stock to get a fee of £50-60m even from Newcastle

macheda14

Liverpool are doing this right now. Jota and Diaz are both able to take over for Mane and Firmino when they move on.

LoneStar

Summers seem to be far more exciting than the actual season for us United fans these days. Hopefully, that won’t be the case next season!

Maticmaker

How 'massive' is massive? Feeling very pessimistic right now!

Player wise cannot see many (young) top names coming given the state of the club, maybe a few top names in the higher age range, looking for a 'soft place to fall', and we make absolutely ridiculous salary offers, they might be tempted.

Where will ETH start his tenure? If its not with signing a proper DM, I will be even more despondent (loved to have seen Garner spend a year playing alongside Matic.)

Get the feeling that Oscar Wilde's observation that "I would not want to join any club that would accept me as a member" will be in the minds of a lot of players deliberating about signing for United this close season!

UpWithRivers

Surely the number one priority is sorting out the dressing room. Who is fighting with who and who is downing tools. No point doing anything else until this is sorted. If its Rashford, Maguire and Ronaldo for example or De Gea and Sancho. It doesnt matter who, they need to go. This all seems to be forgotten

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The big change i want to see is the type of player we sign.
We've been signing big names or expensive talent, to please the fans and to sell shirts.

SAF and Klopp (unfortunately)were buying players with the right mentality and who would fit into the system they play.
I remember when we were linked with Mane under LvG, i saw many posters on here said we should aim to sign better players. Same with Salah, he was called Chelsea reject.
Look how that turned out :lol:

Just get players who fit the manager's and club's system, with the right mentality, no matter what club they played for and how unfancy their names are.
Not players who have great skills and fancy name, that cost much more than they're worth, just for the sake of it.
Look at Pogba, one of the best midfielders of his generation, looked mediocre at best here because he doesn't fit the system, or the system and players around him doesn't fit him.

RoyH1

I can see some contracts being almost impossible to offload to be honest. I hope they are willing to swallow some bad sales and save on wages in the long term

crossy1686

career ending
I can see some contracts being almost impossible to offload to be honest. I hope they are willing to swallow some bad sales and save on wages in the long term
From what reports are saying the football side under Murtough is trying to set up an environment that supports the manager better, that includes getting rid of players the manager doesn’t want to work with. Woodward and Judge were the ones handing out contracts and keeping players on regardless and since Murtough took over in January we saw a bunch of players leave on loan and more would have left if they hadn’t been injured, we received a better fee or they got better guarantees at prospective clubs.

All the players just got a 25% pay cut thanks to no CL and players like Martial have been told they can tear their contract up if they’re willing to accept half the value of said contract and walk away as a free agent today.

Safe to say, something has changed.

gajender

From what reports are saying the football side under Murtough is trying to set up an environment that supports the manager better, that includes getting rid of players the manager doesn’t want to work with. Woodward and Judge were the ones handing out contracts and keeping players on regardless and since Murtough took over in January we saw a bunch of players leave on loan and more would have left if they hadn’t been injured, we received a better fee or they got better guarantees at prospective clubs.

All the players just got a 25% pay cut thanks to no CL and players like Martial have been told they can tear their contract up if they’re willing to accept half the value of said contract and walk away as a free agent today.

Safe to say, something has changed.
That is nonsense and won't be happening has anyone even remotely credible reported this or you are clinging on to some obscure source .