The Summer of *Massive Change

Revaulx

Hard to tell whether it's a good or bad thing that our transfer business seems a bit more mysterious this summer.
I think it’s rather nice that we haven’t been hearing about a warchest or being able to do things other clubs can only dream of, actually.

mu4c_20le

I think it’s rather nice that we haven’t been hearing about a warchest or being able to do things other clubs can only dream of, actually.
Those briefs were so stupid that you have to wonder if it was a rival trying to sabotage us and make our lives harder.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I hope he doesn’t come in and need 4-8 weeks to assess his squad before making additions.
You're gonna have a meltdown when you find out he's having a month's holiday, and starting work in late July.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A casual Liverpool fan I knew said it'd be his nightmare if this guy took us over.
Did they say why?

I mean, practically anyone is an upgrade on the Glazers. I don't believe the rumours as I just can't see a reason they'd want to sell at this point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did they say why?

I mean, practically anyone is an upgrade on the Glazers. I don't believe the rumours as I just can't see a reason they'd want to sell at this point.
He thinks Radcliffe would get us ship shape asap.

jesperjaap

This is seriously a make or break transfer window in my opinion, if we hestitate like most summers and screw this up by not backing wholesale changes to the team and we will be drifting further away from Liverpool and man City, then struggling to get 4th spot against spurs and arsenal for another season and come next summer we may find it even harder even getting 4th spot as it will probably be the summer when Newcastle will step it up with progressing the rebuild to be serious top contenders.
Disagree, we have had make or break summers for a few years now and failed, even last year,w e signed 3 quality players but didnt sign a central midfielder when we needed two and failed to ship out a fair few players who should have been. Failed every window I feel bar Mourinhos first an deven that wa sa player or two short.

That is why we ARE now broken, failure ot move players on, failure to sign the right players on the whole and over paying for them as well and certainly not signing enough players any single window bar maybe LVG who made poor signings.

We will really struggle to MAKE a team this summer even with 7 astute signings, we can only repair what is broken and make serious progression

L1nk

Another one bites the dust
This dude is definitely moving on of his own accord, camera at the Youth FA Cup match caught him and Richard Arnold chatting and laughing in the stands

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Paul, Ringord, Nemanjohn, Haralfson... almost feels like the Beatles breaking up. Almost.

diarm

Has Cavani been confirmed?

Also have we got a buyer for Matic?
Both Cavani and Matic themselves have confirmed that they're leaving.

I think this is the list so far:

Staff
Woodward
Tseayo
Judge
Lawlor
Bout
Wood
Rangnick
Armas

Players
Grant
Matic
Pogba
Lingard
Cavani

crossy1686

career ending
Both Cavani and Matic themselves have confirmed that they're leaving.

I think this is the list so far:

Staff
Woodward
Tseayo
Judge
Lawlor
Bout
Wood
Rangnick
Armas

Players
Grant
Matic
Pogba
Lingard
Cavani
Potentially Martial, Bailly, Wan-Bissaka, Mata, Henderson, Telles, Tuanzebe and Mengi to go also

diarm

Potentially Martial, Bailly, Wan-Bissaka, Mata, Henderson, Telles, Tuanzebe and Mengi to go also
I'd add Phelan, Jones and Williams to that list, but take Martial off. It will take a miracle to get rid of him this summer.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd add Phelan, Jones and Williams to that list, but take Martial off. It will take a miracle to get rid of him this summer.
Yep, forgot about them. I think Williams will get the pre season to prove himself, but I do think Martial will be sent out on loan again

diarm

Yep, forgot about them. I think Williams will get the pre season to prove himself, but I do think Martial will be sent out on loan again
I guess another loan is feasible. After what happened at Sevilla we are going to be paying 90% of his wages though.

TheRedHearted

So apparently there is change afoot in whats being described as "massive summer". What do we think this is in regards to? Squad? Structure? Backroom staff? Stadium? Everything? What are we hoping for if we're to return to former glories?

We've already seen some structural changes with Matt Judge leaving at the end of the season, Woodward and two top level scouts gone also, with no plans right now for any like for like replacements. There was a pretty strong Twitter rumour that Fletcher is stepping down to pursue a coaching career at the end of the season also. Do we see more incomings and outgoings in this department?

Players leaving are:

Pogba
Lingard
Henderson (likely)
Martial (likely)
Matic
Mata
Pereria
Jones (maybe)
Greenwood (likely)
Bailly (likely)
Wan-Bissaka (maybe)
Cavani
Tuanzebe (likely)
Van De Beek (was likely, now a maybe)
Rashford (not likely but strong rumours the club and him are willing to part ways this summer for the best of all parties)

That leaves us with:

De Gea
Heaton
Dalot
Telles
Shaw
Williams
Mengi
Maguire
Lindelöf
Varane
Garner
Fernandes
McTomminay
Fred
Sancho
Van De Beek (most likely)
Pellistri
Amad
Hannibal
Garnacho
Ronaldo
Rashford (maybe)

Reports seem to suggest Murtough is the one who has been driving these changes while referring to Rangnick for advice on occasion. Huge summer needed indeed but will it happen?
Ten Hag hasn’t been linked with any under the radar cheap young talent, so is he the opposite of Ralf? Does he want big signings all around the Squad?

diarm

That's still better than paying 100% of his wages and having him hanging around the training ground
I totally agree.

Honestly, I wouldn't complain if we paid someone to take him away.

UnitedFire

Cavani and Matic both confirmed they’re leaving, both contracts are up.

Thanks i had seen the Matic comments and assumed it would be straightforward, but we do actually have an option. In 2020 he signed a 2+1 option. With his statement I'm assuming we have mutually agreed not to exercise, but in theory we could if someone was willing to pay something for him.

I hadn't see the Cavani statement, but he was on a 1+1 I believe and that expires and clear from statement on Man Utd page that he is gone.

Red00012

This dude is definitely moving on of his own accord, camera at the Youth FA Cup match caught him and Richard Arnold chatting and laughing in the stands
He would have notified Utd well before this that he was leaving or if he was let go Utd would have done the same.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
They're all making 25% less next season due to not qualifying for the CL, that could be enough for some clubs to be interested in paying their wages.

- Jones almost left in January (on loan) to Nice I think, but he turned it down last minute because they couldn't guarantee him first team football. Safe to say he's off, maybe on loan, maybe permanent if he get's promised football.
- Henderson will be on £75k a week next season. It's a lot for a GK but Chelsea, Newcastle etc were interested last summer. He'll leave on loan or otherwise.
- Bailly was supposed to go on loan to AC Milan in January but got injured. He's off.
- Martial has been offered £12.4m to tear his contract up this summer. You would imagine he'll take that if we can't sell him.
- Wan-Bisska is in deep negotiations to go on loan back to Palace next season.
- Tuanzebe hasn't made it in the first team or played regular football for years, he will probably take a Championship move in the summer
- Van De Beek will probably stay another year.
- Rashford will go if we get a big offer but it's highly unlikely.
Agree with just about all of this apart from Rashford.

If your the UTD management do you really believe:

1. Anyone pays big money for Rashford with the form he has shown. £30 million would be an amazing result I think.
2. He is somehow going to turn it all around and become an integral part of the team going forward
3. That the £200k pw is not much better saved/spent elsewhere.
4. His continued presence will be not be an unwelcome distraction for ETH.

I cannot see a single positive to keeping him. We are getting zero if we keep him another season.
Surely they can see that.

M Bison

Supports
York City
So just quickly, Cavani, Lingard, Pogba, Mata and Matic, how much is that in wages per week? Sounds like there will be further changes on the playing side, but what do those initial outgoings equate to on a weekly basis?

obviously add Grant in to that, but presume that’s in the weeds in comparison.

Abraxas

Agree with just about all of this apart from Rashford.

If your the UTD management do you really believe:

1. Anyone pays big money for Rashford with the form he has shown. £30 million would be an amazing result I think.
2. He is somehow going to turn it all around and become an integral part of the team going forward
3. That the £200k pw is not much better saved/spent elsewhere.
4. His continued presence will be not be an unwelcome distraction for ETH.

I cannot see a single positive to keeping him. We are getting zero if we keep him another season.
Surely they can see that.
He doesn't have to completely turn it around to the extent that he is what we all hoped he would become. He just has to put up better numbers and performances than last season, which a) is difficult not to achieve and b) there is some cause for optimism due to a new manager.

If we sell him this summer we'd get bugger all. We'd be selling him at his lowest possible stock, which generally is not going to create a very active marketplace for a player. We need to start making proactive moves when players are at high or at least reasonable stock. We're constantly reactive in the sales market and then we start criticising the fees and our inability to sell, however that is a natural consequence of our strategy. The best negotiator in the world can't redeem a system where players are hoarded and "value protected" by overly optimistic contract renewals on inflated wages.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He doesn't have to completely turn it around to the extent that he is what we all hoped he would become. He just has to put up better numbers and performances than last season, which a) is difficult not to achieve and b) there is some cause for optimism due to a new manager.

If we sell him this summer we'd get bugger all. We'd be selling him at his lowest possible stock, which generally is not going to create a very active marketplace for a player. We need to start making proactive moves when players are at high or at least reasonable stock. We're constantly reactive in the sales market and then we start criticising the fees and our inability to sell, however that is a natural consequence of our strategy. Rashford has dipped so far that it actually makes little sense to sell unless we do indeed get a miraculous bid from a Newcastle.
I think with Cavani having left, Greenwood having to be assumed to remain unavailable, and Martial being Martial, it would be a risky move to sell Rashford too. But I think I’m the long term he doesn’t have a future as a starter.

Abraxas

I think with Cavani having left, Greenwood having to be assumed to remain unavailable, and Martial being Martial, it would be a risky move to sell Rashford too. But I think I’m the long term he doesn’t have a future as a starter.
Certainly not on his form over the last couple of seasons. As you allude to, we look very light across the front. He also has a Sancho problem in that neither player looks good on the right.

Wicked_Badger

So just quickly, Cavani, Lingard, Pogba, Mata and Matic, how much is that in wages per week? Sounds like there will be further changes on the playing side, but what do those initial outgoings equate to on a weekly basis?

obviously add Grant in to that, but presume that’s in the weeds in comparison.
Was just about ask the same question. Rough guesses in my head are:

Pogba - £250k
Cavani - £200k
Mata - £150k (although maybe not the past year on his extension)
Matic - £150k
Lingard - £125k

Chuck in Grant & any one/two from AWB, Bailly, Henderson, Martial etc we’d probably be clearing over £1m a week.

All guesswork on my part though :lol:

lee82gx

Consider the possibility that we replace all these "senior players" with 2nd rate "gems in the rough" from God-knows-where, ala Amad etc....we will in nett become a 4th rate team!

Sure, we beat our chest and shout lets go we got Ten Hag, its 10 more hags that you....then come mid season it looks more like Moyes the II......

lex talionis

Could there be a useful role for Carrick? He’s enjoyed the break he richly deserved, and he showed a thing or two during his short spell as manager.