The Summer of *Massive Change

crossy1686

career ending

So apparently there is change afoot in whats being described as "massive summer". What do we think this is in regards to? Squad? Structure? Backroom staff? Stadium? Everything? What are we hoping for if we're to return to former glories?

We've already seen some structural changes with Matt Judge leaving at the end of the season, Woodward and two top level scouts gone also, with no plans right now for any like for like replacements. There was a pretty strong Twitter rumour that Fletcher is stepping down to pursue a coaching career at the end of the season also. Do we see more incomings and outgoings in this department?

Players leaving are:

Pogba
Lingard
Henderson (likely)
Martial (likely)
Matic
Mata
Pereria
Jones (maybe)
Greenwood (likely)
Bailly (likely)
Wan-Bissaka (maybe)
Cavani
Tuanzebe (likely)
Van De Beek (was likely, now a maybe)
Rashford (not likely but strong rumours the club and him are willing to part ways this summer for the best of all parties)

That leaves us with:

De Gea
Heaton
Dalot
Telles
Shaw
Williams
Mengi
Maguire
Lindelöf
Varane
Garner
Fernandes
McTomminay
Fred
Sancho
Van De Beek (most likely)
Pellistri
Amad
Hannibal
Garnacho
Ronaldo
Rashford (maybe)

Reports seem to suggest Murtough is the one who has been driving these changes while referring to Rangnick for advice on occasion. Huge summer needed indeed but will it happen?

Last edited:

macheda14

Laurie Whitwell and Andy Mitten alluded to it being structural changes rather than just transfers. As it came about after discussing the resignation of Matt Judge.

We have possibly 10+ players leaving. A new manager and the first window fully under our new structure (that also looks set to be further reformed into the summer as well). It's a huge summer.

Infra-red

With Ed Woodward and now Matt Judge also going/gone, the summer transfer window is going to be managed very differently. Previously, Matt Judge negotiated all transfers, new contracts for incoming players and contract renewals for existing players - he reported directly to Ed Woodward on these matters, who in turn reported directly to Joel Glazer. That's all gone now, with John Murtough taking the lead instead.

davidmichael

I keep seeing Dalot included in everyone’s lists of who to keep yet to my knowledge we haven’t offered him a new contract or even talk of one and he’s out of contract in 8 weeks, lots of talk of us trying to get Mazraoui before Bayern do and Laird coming back plus Williams so I can easily see AWB going back to Palace as BBC Sport reported and Dalot leaving on a free.

I’ve read a few times that ETH has a reported 8 core players he’s happy with which I’d guess 5 of them are De Gea, Ronaldo, Fernandes, Sancho and Varane and it’s reported in multiple places ETH wants 3 or 4 key signings which would take the core to 11 or 12.

At a guess I’d say he wants a right back, a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a right sided attacker and he’ll give VDB a final chance along with promoting Garner and Mejbri to pack out the midfield. I can see up to 13 outgoings and I think to be honest it’s needed not only from a playing perspective but also a personality perspective as there’s far too many coasters in our squad so a mental reboot to fit ETH’s desire is needed.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

So apparently there is change afoot in whats being described as "massive summer". What do we think this is in regards to? Squad? Structure? Backroom staff? Stadium? Everything? What are we hoping for if we're to return to former glories?

We've already seen some structural changes with Matt Judge leaving at the end of the season, Woodward and two top level scouts gone also, with no plans right now for any like for like replacements. There was a pretty strong Twitter rumour that Fletcher is stepping down to pursue a coaching career at the end of the season also. Do we see more incomings and outgoings in this department?

Players leaving are:

Pogba
Lingard
Henderson (likely)
Martial (likely)
Matic
Mata
Jones (maybe)
Greenwood (likely)
Bailly (likely)
Wan-Bissaka (maybe)

Cavani
Tuanzebe (likely)
Rashford (not likely but strong rumours the club and him are willing to part ways this summer for the best of all parties)

That leaves us with:

De Gea
Heaton
Dalot
Telles
Shaw
Williams
Maguire
Lindelöf
Varane
Garner
Fernandes
McTomminay
Fred
Sancho
Hannibal
Garnacho
Ronaldo
Rashford (maybe)

Reports seem to suggest Murtough is the one who has been driving these changes while referring to Rangnick for advice on occasion. Huge summer needed indeed but will it happen?
Will be amazed if we find willing permanent takers for these/receive offers the owners would be willing to consider. Greenwood will likely have to be let go.

JB7

I keep seeing Dalot included in everyone’s lists of who to keep yet to my knowledge we haven’t offered him a new contract or even talk of one and he’s out of contract in 8 weeks
As much as I've love this to be true, I'm pretty sure he's got another year left on his deal.

crossy1686

career ending
Will be amazed if we find willing permanent takers for these/receive offers the owners would be willing to consider. Greenwood will likely have to be let go.
From what we're hearing, Martial has been offered half his contract value to walk away this summer and the others might have to be loaned before eventually being sold. No CL means they make 25% less in salary so it might tempt some clubs to pay up

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We need some quality incoming personnel in all areas but I'm broadly happy with the idea of drastic changes. It's got to be done right, but bring it on.

DevilRed

Its almost been ten fecking years.

Are people still buying into this narrative? The only major change will be outgoings.

I don't expect much in terms of incoming. We'd be lucky to get 3 in.

We probably will be relying on alot of promoted youth players to fill the gaps.

Journalists just talking out of their arses, so they can prepare for the doomsday articles when we inevitably dont sign a new first eleven.

kundalini

Players leaving are:

Pogba
Lingard
Henderson (likely)
Martial (likely)
Matic
Mata
Jones (maybe)
Greenwood (likely)
Bailly (likely)
Wan-Bissaka (maybe)
Cavani
Tuanzebe (likely)

That leaves us with:

De Gea
Heaton
Dalot
Telles
Shaw
Williams
Maguire
Lindelöf
Varane
Garner
Fernandes
McTomminay
Fred
Sancho
Hannibal
Garnacho
Ronaldo
Rashford (maybe)

What about Amad, Pellistri, Van de Beek ? Then there are young centre backs (Mengi, Bernard) on loan that might be options for 5th choice centre back in a Europa League season. I suspect Ethan Laird isn't quite ready to be a right-back in the PL but he's another player that could be a back-up used in domestic Cup competitions and Europa League.

United have a huge number of players. What we have been lacking is a balanced team.

I'd be amazed if Erik Ten Hag has a good idea of which players will be able to adapt to his system. Or to what extent his system will need to be adjusted to the PL.

Out of contract players will leave and some of those desperately fed up with their lack of playing time, assuming they can find a club willing to pay an amount United are prepared to accept. The rest will give it a season to see how it goes.

I could go on and on about United's financial situation and the cost of buying players. We spent more than we should last summer and the previous summer too, given the extent to which Covid hit our revenues. We increased our wage bill by an insane amount by bringing in Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane, while selling relatively low earner Dan James.

Last edited:

stevoc

I keep seeing Dalot included in everyone’s lists of who to keep yet to my knowledge we haven’t offered him a new contract or even talk of one and he’s out of contract in 8 weeks, lots of talk of us trying to get Mazraoui before Bayern do and Laird coming back plus Williams so I can easily see AWB going back to Palace as BBC Sport reported and Dalot leaving on a free.

I’ve read a few times that ETH has a reported 8 core players he’s happy with which I’d guess 5 of them are De Gea, Ronaldo, Fernandes, Sancho and Varane and it’s reported in multiple places ETH wants 3 or 4 key signings which would take the core to 11 or 12.

At a guess I’d say he wants a right back, a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a right sided attacker and he’ll give VDB a final chance along with promoting Garner and Mejbri to pack out the midfield. I can see up to 13 outgoings and I think to be honest it’s needed not only from a playing perspective but also a personality perspective as there’s far too many coasters in our squad so a mental reboot to fit ETH’s desire is needed.
His contract runs until 2023 with an option for another year.

crossy1686

career ending
What about Amad, Pellistri, Van de Beek ? Then there are young centre backs (Mengi, Bernard) on loan that might be options for 5th choice centre back in a Europa League season. I suspect Ethan Laird isn't quite ready to be a right-back in the PL but he's another player that could be a back-up used in domestic Cup competitions and Europa League.

United have a huge number of players. What we have been lacking is a balanced team.
Forgot about them but I'll add them to the list

Kaos

Its almost been ten fecking years.

Are people still buying into this narrative? The only major change will be outgoings.

I don't expect much in terms of incoming. We'd be lucky to get 3 in.

We probably will be relying on alot of promoted youth players to fill the gaps.

Journalists just talking out of their arses, so they can prepare for the doomsday articles when we inevitably dont sign a new first eleven.
Normally I'm inclined to agree, but I don't think we've ever had a summer where we had up to 10 players fecking off. We simply can't afford to dither in the transfer market, not unless we plan to plug most the gaps left with academy players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Players leaving and 3, maybe 4 coming in. Won't be much more than that.

crossy1686

career ending
Normally I'm inclined to agree, but I don't think we've ever had a summer where we had up to 10 players fecking off. We simply can't afford to dither in the transfer market, not unless we plan to plug most the gaps left with academy players.
And huge change in the structure also. I would have agreed with the poster if Woodward and Judge were still here

Westerkerk

I expect we'll see numerous players leaving, which in itself isn't unusual, but the number will be bigger than what would be described as normal outgoings in the summer - and arguably players leaving is more important than players arriving, though clearly we need, and will get, new blood coming in.

I really don't expect us to sign many players in ETH's first transfer window.

I have a feeling next season is going to be really tough, but I hope we see some progress on the pitch and off the pitch.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I can't see us buying 10 new players within a single summer transfer window, so the most of those replacements will be academy grads as a short term fix, maybe 6 or 7?. I'd be fine with that, as ETH has a proven track record working with the youngsters, plus we have an excellent crop to choose from right now by all accounts.

More than anything I'd be happy to see the mass-clearout that's been promised for months now, but I have to be honest, I'm skeptical it's going to happen.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
I hope he doesn’t come in and need 4-8 weeks to assess his squad before making additions.

Revaulx

I have a feeling whatever it is won’t be enough to satisfy the masses
Maybe too much for the “things were better before all these new-fangled changes” brigade; mostly people whose first experience of United fandom was the comfortable stability of the SAF years.

Moreover, the masses are by no means a homogeneous group. There’s a still a large minority of Jose loyalists, bizarrely. The only thing that the disparate factions have in common is the incessant moaning.

Oh, and a Fletcher obsession ;)

kundalini

Dalot has a contract until summer 2023 + 1 year option. https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/manchester-united-announces-the-signing-of-diogo-dalot

Lynty

It'll be backroom and 'director' staff.

3 maybe 4 signings at a push. Any more would be a disaster in the making. We've got a anticpate a 50% hit rate on transfers, so not's let get ahead of ourselves and end up with more deadwood on bloated contracts.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whatever happens I don't think it's going to be 1 summer while everything is fixed. Patience is needed now more than ever.

It'll take a while to clear the deadwood and mould the squad to a way he sees fit. Lets see just how much the Glazers will back him with ins/outs.

Xaviboy

I'm going 5 new players in summer window and another 5 in summer 23. Can't see much going on in winter window with World Cup and all.

That be 10 new players in over 2 summer windows.

Needs to be done to have any chance of competing

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
“Huge amount of change” is what you need to have in order to beat Sinistar. I think our summer will be have a maximum of 5 inbound players at most.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Considering how painful it has been to get rid of players, let alone sign them. I don’t expect much

lex talionis

The outgoings will be massive, but the incomings not so much. 3-4 transfers in, several youth/reserve in such as Hannibal and Garner.

We’ll see who we land, but a massive decision has to be made about Maguire. Do we bring in a CB to replace or cover for Maguire? Obviously a top CDM, regardless of how Garner looks in summer training. A 9 to develop under and succeed Ronaldo.

Hoof the ball

Same and feels like we've been set for a huge clearout for the last umpteen summers and it never happens.
I feel like I've read the same thread in countless forms over the last few years too.
That much is true, however, it's worth remembering that we've also never had a potential summer in which so much internal restructuring is happening, which will provide an idealogue like Ten Hag with a lot of the organisational support that his predecessors didn't have.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

Players leaving are:

Pogba
Lingard
Henderson (likely)
Martial (likely)
Matic
Mata
Jones (maybe)
Greenwood (likely)
Bailly (likely)
Wan-Bissaka (maybe)
Cavani
Tuanzebe (likely)

That leaves us with:

De Gea
Heaton
Dalot
Telles
Shaw
Williams
Mengi
Maguire
Lindelöf
Varane
Garner
Fernandes
McTomminay
Fred
Sancho
Pellistri
Amad
Hannibal
Garnacho
Ronaldo
Rashford (maybe)

I don't think it will be as many leaving as you think.
  • Jones - won't go anywhere as no one will buy him and he has 1 more year on contract
  • Henderson, is one of the best-paid goalkeepers in world football - if he goes it will only be a loan, and if he does go on loan we won't replace him.
  • Bailey - again could only leave on loan due to wages and injury record
  • Martial - No chance of getting a buyer for him after Servilla will probably struggle to find even a loan move with his wages
  • Wan-Bissaka - Isn't going anywhere
  • Tuanzebe - I think after the awful loan spell he has had there is a good chance he will just sit tight and try his look under a new manager
  • Van De Beek - Will definitely stay with Ten Hag coming in and Pogba leaving
  • Rashford - Unless we get a crazy offer for him I can't see him leaving
We will probably bring in 3 signings- a maximum of 4 and that will be it. It's not going to be a massive change, slightly bigger than an average summer but that's about it.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The outgoings will be massive, but the incomings not so much. 3-4 transfers in, several youth/reserve in such as Hannibal and Garner.

We’ll see who we land, but a massive decision has to be made about Maguire. Do we bring in a CB to replace or cover for Maguire? Obviously a top CDM, regardless of how Garner looks in summer training. A 9 to develop under and succeed Ronaldo.
Has this ever worked? sign a player to be a substitute for another player until they leave? People always say it, but does it ever work?
Normally what happens is either they are good enough to replace them off the bat, or they become a squad player, the lack of regular football hurts their progression and they eventually drift into obscurity and leave the club.

TheReligion

Abusive

Players leaving are:

Pogba
Lingard
Henderson (likely)
Martial (likely)
Matic
Mata
Jones (maybe)
Greenwood (likely)
Bailly (likely)
Wan-Bissaka (maybe)
Cavani
Tuanzebe (likely)

That leaves us with:

De Gea
Heaton
Dalot
Telles
Shaw
Williams
Mengi
Maguire
Lindelöf
Varane
Garner
Fernandes
McTomminay
Fred
Sancho
Pellistri
Amad
Hannibal
Garnacho
Ronaldo
Rashford (maybe)

Sorry but I’m not sure what you’re asking as you’ve literally posted all the changes that are going ahead? Unless I’m missing the point..

Hughes35

The most obvious article of all time.

We have:

New manager
New assistant / backroom staff
at least 10 players leaving
incomings

Of course it's a summer of huge change!!!!