g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The T20 Auction Draft | The Final | Crappy vs Varun/Akshay

Who would win more matches with the conditions in mind?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Varun

Staff
I think you answered your point yourself. This is neither a green pitch, nor is it a spinner's heaven. In general, you can always get away with an all pace attack as opposed to all spinner's one That's pretty basic cricket stuff. Pacers in general can be attuned to different conditions and situations owing to the variations in line and length that are possible for a pace bowler, but are not for a spinner. For example, on a batsman friendly pitch, if there is some bounce a bowler can get away with bowling short but even with some spin, a spinner can't.

All of my top 6 have done well against spinner on different occasions. If Gayle's kryptonite was as simple as spinner in front 6, then he would not be T20's best or second best player. AB's proven against all kinds of bowling and Maxwell's fearless against any, seen him hit sixes with reverse sweeps against spinners.
Why do you keep ignoring my point about how different these 4 spinners are Crappy? Yeah, I get it, similar bowlers aren't a good idea. They aren't, each of the 4 is very different to the other. What's the problem then? As for the similar pace, we want the pace to be slow, it's not a problem.

I'm not saying your batsmen suck against spin and will get bundled out for 100 runs but yes, they would rather face pace. Spinners of this quality isn't the kind of attack they want to be up against. Gayle has found it tough vs spin btw, especially Ashwin vs CSK.
He remodeled his action for the last IPL I believe and was not so effective.

He was reported twice -- came back few days ago after the 2nd reporting, but already remodeled awhile ago.

Would be interested in stats from the last 1 year or so -- and opinions from folks who've watched more cricket than I have in the last 12 months.

If he's still as good, think I will vote for your team.
He hasn't played much over the past year tbh.
He is vastly overrated due to his variations. Commentators just parrot the line that he is a good bowler, yet most of the times he is going for runs. He ends up picking a few wickets due to batmen slogging against him at the death.

He would be fine as a 5/6th bowler but as a sole pace-man in a 5 man attack is an odd role for him.
His role is pretty much the same, couple of overs in the middle and couple towards the end. He isn't our pace spearhead or anything of that sort because we are opening with spin at both ends.

Varun

Staff
I don't understand the love for 4 spinners on a track that is still primarily batting friendly. Makes no sense to me that you will have all spin all the time against this kind of batting line up. Even if they do well initially, any 2 set batsmen out of these lot can score bundles later on. There is a reason why so many captains are hesitant to use spin in death overs.
Narine and Bravo both bowl the last overs for their sides.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Pitches play a feck all part in the T20. There's a reason why bowlers like Badree have a excellent record in T20's in Australia. Both him and Narine transcends pitches in this format.

Skills

Snitch
I would love to see this match in reality. Would be a cracker. Think crappy just about edges it though, but Varun/Akshay have done some job here.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Those spinners will kill Gayle, and I rate all of them especially Harbhajan in T20s, but the issue is that Gayle is followed by Kohli and AB. I mean, statistically, one of those 3 has got to fire. Malinga does well on these kinds of tracks too, and that should be that.

But it should definitely not be 7-2! McCullum is amazing, Smith, Peitersen, Sangakkara and Symonds are all very capable. So for balance I'm going for Varun.

Varun

Staff
Just to clear it up, we aren't claiming this is a flat turner and our spinners will bowl Crappy out for 100, no, the pitch and his batting is too good for that. What we mean is, our quality attack and the bit of support for spin means we can restrict him by 20% or so. So he'd get 160 where he would normally get 200 or 145 where he would normally get 180.

Our batting line up is absolutely class and should get us more runs than we concede on a track like this.

prath92

I'm confused. My love for Virat is probably matched only by Mccullum.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Why do you keep ignoring my point about how different these 4 spinners are Crappy? Yeah, I get it, similar bowlers aren't a good idea. They aren't, each of the 4 is very different to the other. What's the problem then? As for the similar pace, we want the pace to be slow, it's not a problem.

I'm not saying your batsmen suck against spin and will get bundled out for 100 runs but yes, they would rather face pace. Spinners of this quality isn't the kind of attack they want to be up against. Gayle has found it tough vs spin btw, especially Ashwin vs CSK.

He hasn't played much over the past year tbh.

His role is pretty much the same, couple of overs in the middle and couple towards the end. He isn't our pace spearhead or anything of that sort because we are opening with spin at both ends.
I have not ignored that at all. But it is not relevant to the point I am making. It is simply unprecedented to have virtually an all spin attack, heck you are selling even your sole pace bowler as someone who can take the pace off the ball, on anything other than rank turners. It would never work in reality regardless of the type of spinners you may have.

Ashwin is not actually playing in this match. In any case, Gayle will be gayle.. he will either fire or he won't. If he does not, I still have Kohli, AB, Watson and Maxwell to follow.

Varun

Staff
I have not ignored that at all. But it is not relevant to the point I am making. It is simply unprecedented to have virtually an all spin attack, heck you are selling even your sole pace bowler as someone who can take the pace off the ball, on anything other than rank turners. It would never work in reality regardless of the type of spinners you may have.

Ashwin is not actually playing in this match. In any case, Gayle will be gayle.. he will either fire or he won't. If he does not, I still have Kohli, AB, Watson and Maxwell to follow.
It is unprecedented because no team/country can ever have 4 spinners of such quality. It can only happen in a draft. Heck, even 2 spinners like this is golden for most teams.

That is what bravo does and excels at which is why he is in the team ahead of bond and Mitch Johnson. There's nothing to sell here either, everyone here has sent plenty of bravo to know what he brings to the table.

Yep, never tried to downplay the quality of your batting line up. Lots of quality there. I simply responded to you bringing up Gayle as someone who will destroy spinners because facing spinners of the quality of Narine and Badree right off the bat isn't what he fancies.

The plan/thinking is this:
Just to clear it up, we aren't claiming this is a flat turner and our spinners will bowl Crappy out for 100, no, the pitch and his batting is too good for that. What we mean is, our quality attack and the bit of support for spin means we can restrict him by 20% or so. So he'd get 160 where he would normally get 200 or 145 where he would normally get 180.

Our batting line up is absolutely class and should get us more runs than we concede on a track like this.

Norris

Ok, I might be tempted to vote for Varun/Aks now. :p

He has 4 of those players in that RCB team.

Varun

Staff
Quite a huge win for Crappy. Sort of expect it with his top 3 but if this game was played for real, think it would be very close.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Quite a huge win for Crappy. Sort of expect it with his top 3 but if this game was played for real, think it would be very close.
Drawing equivalence between vote count and supposed match scorecard if false. I used to do that as well and realized it was wrong way to vote in draft games.

Varun

Staff
Drawing equivalence between vote count and supposed match scorecard if false. I used to do that as well and realized it was wrong way to vote in draft games.
Yeah ofcourse, I get that. 10 people believing you'd win a close game by say 10 runs still gives you a 10-0 win on votes and whoever thinks so should vote you. I was referring to more people not seeing it the way we put it and believing we'd win a close game.

Mani

Crappy has the better team but that voting is too harsh.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Best team won really. Well done!