g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Telegraph: The Secrets of Uniteds Summer Rebuild

Kag

Will hold off getting excited until I see who we recruit and who we get rid of (or don't). All this bluster won't count for much if we ultimately get the party line about 'huge potential in squad' and we're watching McTominay starting in CM again come September.
This is where I’m at. It was only twelve months ago that similar articles were penned about cultural resets and progress both on and off the field. The arse then fell out of the club by October.

Actions will speak louder than words.

Infra-red

I‘m optimistic on the fact that Woodward is no longer around to feck our shit up from his office in Mayfair as he tries to be Florentino Perez.
Woodward, Judge and Tseayo (United's head of financial strategy) have all departed at about the same time. For years Woodward, Judge and Tseayo ran the club from adjacent offices in United's Mayfair HQ. Now they're all gone. As you say, hopefully this will all lead to a very different club from the shambles we've witnessed for the last 10 years.

Blood Mage

I'll say it again, all blowhard talk until we see evidence of actual change. The right things are being said, but we've heard this type of PR spin before.

jesperjaap

All well and good and promising, most important part is getting out and in the right players though, summer window is huge for the next 3 seasons this summer

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not buying that tweet. Murtough 'challenging the players over unacceptable standards' only to let the man brought in to change these standards go?

I bet the player WhatsApp group is bouncing this morning. Another one they've got rid of. Bunch of fecking cretins.
Ralf would only work part-time in a consultant role, 6 days per month. At that stage he will have nothing to do with players, just club structure and so on. It’s all on murtough and ETH now.
They will soon learn that ETH will take no shit
Ralf was too soft as a manager

Dante

Average bang
Who are Korn Ferry and how much football experience do they have? Sounds similar to what woodward did specifically for acouting overhaul. Brought in external consultants who helped to build a overbloated, useless scouting network.
Organisational Consultants.

The article talks about how United have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. I would assume that KF's remit will be to streamline the org structure in order to minimise inefficiencies. It'll be agnostic to the industry United operate in, and be more about figuring how many of 1200 employees are surplus to requirements considering we managed with only 600 a decade ago.

Lynty

Saying all the right things, only time will tell.

I do think Rangnick's exit is on Ten Hag. From a PR perspective, the club would've kept him around on this part time contract and just ignored his advice. Ten Hag made his feelings pretty clear.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Ralf would only work part-time in a consultant role, 6 days per month. At that stage he will have nothing to do with players, just club structure and so on. It’s all on murtough and ETH now.
They will soon learn that ETH will take no shit
Ralf was too soft as a manager
True, hoping to see plenty of this next season

Oldyella

I'll say it again, all blowhard talk until we see evidence of actual change. The right things are being said, but we've heard this type of PR spin before.
We are seeing it though. The facilities are all being upgraded/ refreshed this summer. There has been a lot of turnover in staff in these past months. The squad will look quite different next year already given the contracts that have expired before we even look at sales/new signings.

I'm not expecting instant success but it does look like the club is finally taking some serious steps rather than drifting along.

padzilla

Hipster
More talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk with no action.

I will remain sceptical - the June 27 deadline of when players report for pre-season will tell us everything we need to know.

If the deadwood is still there and we're trying to sign players in their 30s, like Kante, then nothing will have changed.

I can't believe Ten Hag would sign up for that though.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Just act now, we don't care for talk

Can start by being ruthless in the transfer window and getting in targets early
^ This is literally all the CAF thinks that “being the best” is all about. No one cares about the backroom changes that have been well documented & discussed on here. The backroom is the spine to the first team

Meh. Seen this movie a million times before. Anyone falling for this is just a naive muppet. Action speaks louder than words.
All Arnold had to do is to let football people do their job.
That is EXACTLY what Arnold is doing. What on earth have you taken from these tweets/article that he’s not?
This. We've seen the same cheap PR for years now.
Spin, spin, spin
Feels like a fluff piece, but let's see how ETH's tenure goes, cautiously optimistic.
The CAF is a funny place. Scream from the rooftops about wanting vicious, ruthless and forthright change & it happens. With hard evidence of it happening. Then articles say that MORE is coming and yet it’s still a “PR” piece. Lord give me strength.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

I will remain sceptical - the June 27 deadline of when players report for pre-season will tell us everything we need to know.

If the deadwood is still there and we're trying to sign players in their 30s, like Kante, then nothing will have changed.

Bullshite.

There’s been LOTS of change over the past few weeks but because all the CAF seems to care about is transfers. You seem to do aswell considering your “June 27th” comment here. It’s not ALWAYS about transfers.

El Jefe

Can we at least give the new regime a chance before we write them off. If Ed was still in charge and this came out, I'd be in board with the negativity but this is Arnold and Murtough's first summer running the ship.

L1nk

^ This is literally all the CAF thinks that “being the best” is all about. No one cares about the backroom changes that have been well documented & discussed on here. The backroom is the spine to the first team

That is EXACTLY what Arnold is doing. What on earth have you taken from these tweets/article that he’s not?

The CAF is a funny place. Scream from the rooftops about wanting vicious, ruthless and forthright change & it happens. With hard evidence of it happening. Then articles say that MORE is coming and yet it’s still a “PR” piece. Lord give me strength.
This is whats annoying me as well, I'm as skeptical about club briefings and fluff pieces as anyone. But we’re being informed of changes, as well as seeing them happen and yet people are still slagging them off, we just can’t win no matter what the club does

C3Pique

Exactly what I’d been saying in another thread. People think because he’d been appointed last year he must’ve been making all the decisions since then. They clearly haven’t been been paying attention to Ed Woodward the last 10 years and how egotistical the cnut was.
I still cringe thinking back to reading about Woodward making the phone calls to sign Ronaldo whilst in his back garden with Gary Lineker. Out of touch, arrogant show-off bellend with no fecking clue about running a football club.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It's really good we walked away from 4 targets but is there anybody we can walk towards yet?

SER19

I largely agree with you, but you can understand the cynicism. We've heard it all, and this is happening among some quotes that want to emphaise the potential of an existing squad and a budget of 120m which in modern football, won't go far for the type of surgery we need. Im patient myself as I think its by mid june we'll have an idea if there's actually some action going on, or if J Lingz and Martial will be rocking up to training.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Not believing anything until I see changes on the pitch. A new article every day.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

What the hell lool action has and is being taken...

Natener

Bullshite.

There’s been LOTS of change over the past few weeks but because all the CAF seems to care about is transfers. You seem to do aswell considering your “June 27th” comment here. It’s not ALWAYS about transfers.
A lot of people seem to be mistaken about results and changes. What they want to see are really results or at least signs of it before making judgement of Richard Arnold and Murtough which is fair. But what we have now ARE changes and we will see if these changes make a difference in player recruitment and ultimately if that translate to performances on the pitch. For one, I feel ETH's appointment is already a case of results. But hey, there will still be people trying to spin it as a fan favourite appointment just to appease the fan base but if they had appointed Poch then there would still be people crying over it's another poor boardroom influenced appointment. So far, I really like what's going on, but I will still wait for more concrete results to show. I'm very hopeful though.

Kaushal

Their money making business model is tanking gradually or will tank if we keep sinking every year. They too can’t be happy with our current state and gradual decline. It’s not like they will keep on making the same amounts of money and will be forever rich even if we become mid table. So, the common sense dictates that they must be doing something drastic behind the scenes to rectify that hence the news about the changes this year.

Still the question remains whether -

A) they are doing it for financial reasons to get the commercial train back on track or finally they have realised it’s about time to put footballing matters first and foremost and rest will take if itself.

B) they are competent enough and have the expertise to oversee this huge process even if their intentions are right ? Making the correct decisions by putting the right people in charge and take some ruthless decisions along the way ?

Only time will tell but I have my doubts not because I don’t want to trust them but because it’s still too corporate and still less footballing people in charge to take some crucial footballing decisions and also because i have gone through and experienced this kind of talk before and now suffer from PTSD. I hope my cynicism is wrong at least this time and I hope the future is bright and the future is orange.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
Bullshite.

The June 27th date is crucial because we've known these changes were coming for a long time and it would make a strong statement to be able to hit the ground running and have a full pre-season with something resembling the squad we want to move forward with.

My main concern is if he have most of the same personnel - especially the bad elements - then we are really going to struggle and how likely is it Ten Hag will be around next year if we finish sixth or seventh again?

talking robot

Happy to give the new people in power a chance, but my expectations are low given the last 10 years. This story doesn't change that. If we look decisive and intelligent in the transfer window, then maybe I'll update my priors slightly in the fall.

Acquire Me

This sounds promising imo. I welcome this change. It will not be done fast, but it sounds like we are giving everything we got.

phelans shorts

I largely agree with you, but you can understand the cynicism. We've heard it all, and this is happening among some quotes that want to emphaise the potential of an existing squad and a budget of 120m which in modern football, won't go far for the type of surgery we need. Im patient myself as I think its by mid june we'll have an idea if there's actually some action going on, or if J Lingz and Martial will be rocking up to training.
If you’re judging them on if Martial turns up then you’re going to be very disappointed, as we would need to find a taker.

At the end of the day the behind the scenes changes are far more important than one transfer window could ever be.