The Telegraph's Top 25 players to ever grace the Premier League

Not even a Ronaldo fan but he is too low. I never really pay too much attention to these lists, though.

Sigma

If we are talking about pure ability, disregarding longevity or any other criteria, then Ronaldo easily takes it

RC89

Please. We all wish it were true, but Giggs was not even close to Ronaldo or Henry at his best. And that's no slight on him. It's revisionism based on sentiment.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No Ruud. Otherwise seems solid enough at first glance.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Kompany as the 4th best CB ever in the PL is to make up for City numbers on the list. Aguero is City's best player in the PL and he's got two ahead of him.

Pretty decent list as far as list goes. Can't really think of anyone else besides Aguero over Toure and Vidic over Kompany (obvious bias).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aguero should be on there with ease.

Snow

Please. We all wish it were true, but Giggs was not even close to Ronaldo or Henry at his best. And that's no slight on him. It's revisionism based on sentiment.
Giggs was much better than Ronaldo in the PL. It's an all-time list and he amassed a crazy amount of assists in that time.

RC89

Giggs was much better than Ronaldo in the PL. It's an all-time list and he amassed a crazy amount of assists in that time.
At Giggs' best you think he was better than Ronaldo in 07/08?

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Decent list, very United friendly and satisfying to see Scholes so comfortably ahead of Gerrard and Lampard.

Seems odd David Seaman wouldn't be there. He wasn't as good as Schmeichel but for a time he was one of the very best. In my opinion, of course.

Ruud, Aguero and Vidic should all be on there.

At the expense of Kompany, Toure and Pires/Adams.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Vidic!!!!
You can't have Adams, Rio, Terry and Kompany and Gary Neville(!) without having Vidic.

jungledrums

Kompany as the 4th best CB ever in the PL is to make up for City numbers on the list. Aguero is City's best player in the PL and he's got two ahead of him.

Pretty decent list as far as list goes. Can't really think of anyone else besides Aguero over Toure and Vidic over Kompany (obvious bias).
I don't think it's bias. How Kompany gets in over Vidic is anyone's guess. Great player though Kompany is, Vidic was out of this world and is certainly one of the best CB's to ever play for United (arguably bettered only by Rio, maybe Staam).

Wittmann45

Was Gary Neville a better fullback than Denis Irwin? I know that Alan Hansen has said that if he was to pick the best Premier League XI ever, he would pick Irwin at right and left back.

Irwin seemed maybe more consistent and perhaps better all around

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Decent list, very United friendly and satisfying to see Scholes so comfortably ahead of Gerrard and Lampard.

Seems odd David Seaman wouldn't be there. He wasn't as good as Schmeichel but for a time he was one of the very best. In my opinion, of course.
Would have Seaman over Neville there.

Snow

At Giggs' best you think he was better than Ronaldo in 07/08?
Giggs was amazing in the time that Arsenal rivaled us and then Chelsea. One season Ronaldo doesn't change the fact that he delivered ~30 goals+assists season after season.

Parry Gallister

Aguero
Ruud
Vidic
Yeah. With all due respect to Gary, the goal that won City the title over us should put Aguero in instead. Keane doesn't have a number either but should, absolutely unique mentally and had so many moments, deserves it over Toure who's been good, but not on the same level. Lamps so much higher than Shearer is odd too.

Suarez is obviously brilliant, but only showed that for a full season or so over here too, not sure on what criteria they're adding people in on but arguably he isn't a league legend as a result, I'd vote in people like Zola, Di Canio, Carragher, Le Tis, Barnes, Owen or Torres even, or a few of ours in (Irwin, Ole etc.) as a result.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Toure and Kompany should be nowhere near that list.

I rate both of them but; Carrick, Vidic, Sol Campbell, Evra, Aguero, Ruud, Seaman, De Gea, Ljunberg could all go in there for starters.

RC89

Giggs was amazing in the time that Arsenal rivaled us and then Chelsea. One season Ronaldo doesn't change the fact that he delivered ~30 goals+assists season after season.
No it doesn't, but you seem to have tried to offer a half answer. I'm asking in simple terms, was Giggs at ANY point in his career as good as Ronaldo in 07/08? Please don't tell me Giggs was so good in this or that season. Being a level, or even two below Ronaldo is no slight on a player.

MounchesterUtd

I'm prepared to get a ton of slander for this but no way is Giggs Top 10. His longevity masks the fact that he never really carried his team for a sustained period at any point while he was playing. I'd argue Beckham 97-2000 was better than any point in Giggs' career.

Suarez, Pires and Cantona are all too low IMO.

Yagami

Good post resistant
At first glance it seems good but I don't think you'll ever get a list that pleases everyone.

Carrick, Vidic, Sol Campbell, Evra, Aguero, Ruud, Seaman, De Gea, Ljunberg could all go in there for starters.
You could make claims for Irwin, Sheringham, Carvalho, Cech, van der Sar and Silva, too.

Any others?

ZDwyr

I'd have Vidic over Kompany and Aguero instead of Toure. It's not a terrible list though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kompany should be nowhere close. Toure you can make an argument for but should be lower at least. Vidic should be on it probably.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
In no particular order, I'd have Bergkamp, Henry, Keane, Scholes, Ronaldo and Cantona ahead of Giggs in terms footballing ability. Giggs is only as high as he is due to his longevity.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
People pointing out Kompany's absurd inclusion & rightfully so but what the hell is Gary Neville doing there though? He should be nowhere near the list in all honesty.

Top 5 is easily Henry, Ronaldo, Lampard, Scholes & Shearer in terms of longevity & peak for me. Giggs was never at any point in his career the best player in the League so obviously shouldn't be so high.

Aguero, RVN & Cech should be somwhere in there instead of Andy Cole, Neville & Kompany.

Yagami

Good post resistant
In no particular order, I'd have Bergkamp, Henry, Keane, Scholes, Ronaldo and Cantona ahead of Giggs in terms footballing ability. Giggs is only as high as he is due to his longevity.
People make it sound like this in and of itself isn't impressive and isn't worthy of taking to account. Giggs in his prime was an incredible footballer regardless of not being the best and his longevity was something very special. Those two things together earn him that spot. If it was based purely off a players ability then it'd be different, but there's a lot of factors to take into account.

People pointing out Kompany's absurd inclusion & rightfully so but what the hell is Gary Neville doing there though? He should be nowhere near the list in all honesty.

Top 5 is easily Henry, Ronaldo, Lampard, Scholes & Shearer in terms of longevity & peak for me. Giggs was never at any point in his career the best player in the League so obviously shouldn't be so high.

Aguero, RVN & Cech should be somwhere in there instead of Andy Cole, Neville & Kompany.
Please don't bait.

Ibi Dreams

You could arguably put someone like Mahrez or Vardy in there, for how they led Leicester to the title. I don't think something like that will happen again for a very, very long time and it's an extraordinary achievement