Television The Terror

pauldyson1uk

This looks very good , based on a book that is by all accounts scary.
The crew of a Royal Naval expedition searching for the Arctic's treacherous Northwest Passage discovers instead a monstrous predator.

togg

It certainly looks like it has very good production values - which is always a plus. Also, Ciaran Hinds always delivers. A charismatic and very watchable actor.

Stemmy

Thought the name sounded familiar. Read the book years ago and enjoyed it.

Will definately be giving this a watch. Looks good.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I read this a while ago. Pretty good stuff. Thought it would make a good movie at the time, not certain about a series though.

There's a script floating around by Del Torro based on the Lovecraft story "at the mountains of madness" that should also be made.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
First five episodes out.

Anyone seen it? Getting quite good reviews.

Stemmy

First 5? From where I am watching it I can only see the first 3 episodes.

Enjoying it so far though

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Can't help but feel that the real-life story is fascinating enough for a film or tv drama without the monster stuff. The awful experiences suffered by some of Franklin's would-be rescuers alone - and their heroism - would make for compelling viewing.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Can't help but feel that the real-life story is fascinating enough for a film or tv drama without the monster stuff. The awful experiences suffered by some of Franklin's would-be rescuers alone - and their heroism - would make for compelling viewing.
Blasphemy! If you can put a monster in there, preferably several, you do it.

Dumbat12

Anyone seen the leaked episodes? The show is absolutely amazing, one of the best I have watched in recent years, on the same level as the Young Pope (recommended to anyone who hasn't watched it, as well).

Utdstar01

On the penultimate episode. Is this the only season? Its so, so good!

ZAGREB RED

Just finished this, absolutely brilliant series. Very eerie and atmospheric with some great performances, Jared Harris especially and the guy who played Hickey. Going to read the book now I think.
Thought it was a bit like The Thing (1982 sci-fi/horror classic set in the Antarctic for younger viewers) set 200 years ago during Navy expedition to chart the North West passage round the Arctic.
One of the best TV series I have seen recently. I really was struck by just how desolate the landscape was during the whole thing, nice to look at maybe, but a different story altogether if you are stuck there.
Only minus point for me was the lack of subtitles during the conversations in Inuit in the later episodes, there were captions in the first few but not the later ones, not sure if this was deliberate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldyella

Thought the whole cast was stellar, but yes @ZAGREB RED the guy who played Hickey stood out. The captain was a bad ass too.

ZAGREB RED

Thought the whole cast was stellar, but yes @ZAGREB RED the guy who played Hickey stood out. The captain was a bad ass too.
I thought Hickey's character came across as the type of guy who could be quite charming and charismatic, but under it he was a scheming manipulator.. I think the best compliment I can pay Jared Harris is that I saw a lot of his old man in his portrayal of Captain Crozier. Agreed though, the whole cast were excellent.
A few episodes in, I kept wondering when Greta Scacchi was going to appear before the penny dropped, she was virtually unrecognisable.

Last edited by a moderator: