Television The Thick Of It

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I reckon I've made a thread on this before. Sitting here on my lunch break, it's easily one of the best programs to come out of the BBC. Time Trumpet was one of my other favourites, but the depth in TTOI really is astonishing and the characters are hysterical.

Still can't get over Hugh Abbot....Pretty much every single thing he says is genius. I struggle to think of comedies that have such high-caliber consistency, perhaps Arrested Development and Trailer Park Boys, but even then I sometimes find myself undecided between what is actually better!

If you want to laugh, and you are bored of shit television shows and rubbish comedy, give The Thick Of It a look-in, in fact, watch the first episode and if you don't find that hilarious, you probably won't like the rest.

Wish it was longer then the three series and extra episodes. Please tell me I'm not alone!

Brophs

The One and Only
Trailer Park Boys is utter cock.

The Thick Of It isn't.

Brophs

The One and Only
I have indeed.

Absolute rubbish, you just haven't seen enough of it! Look at it's rating and reviews, it can't be that wrong!
True. I like to have to work to like a tv show. Really makes me feel I've earned it.

Leg-End

Can't wait for it to return, so many great characters and lines. Jamie is great too.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
True. I like to have to work to like a tv show. Really makes me feel I've earned it.
:lol:

Wanker! Seriously though, over 8 years it's maintained a rating of 9.3, I remember when I first saw it, it was 9.6, which is immense.

I watched the first episode and thought, this is the worst thing I've ever seen. I forced myself to watch a few more, and even then I couldn't see how this would get better. I watched the remaining season, then another 5 seasons and three films plus two specials, in the space of around three weeks.

The Office (UK), Peep Show, The Thick of It, Time Trumpet, Arrested Development, Modern Family, Community....Trailer Park Boys.

If it was shit, it couldn't be placed near any of those programs! As it is, it's as good as all of them.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Difficult difficult...lemon difficult.

Sir A1ex

Time Trumpet was good, but I don't think it matched The Day Today or Brass Eye.

TDT stands out as miles ahead of it for me, if only for how fresh and original it was at the time.

TTOI it is about the best thing since then. Never did get why they basically gave the same characters new names for In the Loop though...

alastair

ignorant
It's the funniest show on television by an absolute mile. Malcolm Tucker is arguably the funniest comedy character I've ever seen, and every single character makes me laugh to at least some extent.

I can't find fault with it - there is just no-one who annoys me in it. The opposition who turn up from time to time are hysterical as well - the hilariously PC spin doctor and Olly's ex-girfriend who is just unbelievably bitchy. I can't wait for series 4, Armando Ianucci is an absolute genius.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I reckon I've made a thread on this before. Sitting here on my lunch break, it's easily one of the best programs to come out of the BBC. Time Trumpet was one of my other favourites, but the depth in TTOI really is astonishing and the characters are hysterical.

Still can't get over Hugh Abbot....Pretty much every single thing he says is genius. I struggle to think of comedies that have such high-caliber consistency, perhaps Arrested Development and Trailer Park Boys, but even then I sometimes find myself undecided between what is actually better!

If you want to laugh, and you are bored of shit television shows and rubbish comedy, give The Thick Of It a look-in, in fact, watch the first episode and if you don't find that hilarious, you probably won't like the rest.

Wish it was longer then the three series and extra episodes. Please tell me I'm not alone!
What American comedy shows do you like hectic? I dont usually like British shows so wanted to see your general choice before checking your recommendation.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Trailer Park Boys, Community, Modern Family, Arrested Development, The Office (US), It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Kenny vs Spenny

That's what I can think of right now.

Zen

It's Always Sunny is the greatest thing ever.....Thick of It comes in a nice second.

Sir A1ex

I watched the first episode and thought, this is the worst thing I've ever seen. I forced myself to watch a few more, and even then I couldn't see how this would get better. I watched the remaining season, then another 5 seasons and three films plus two specials, in the space of around three weeks.
That actually does sound very hard work... bordering on Stockholm syndrome.

At what point in those 6 seasons did you actually decide it was any good?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I reckon the last couple episodes of Season 1 drew me in. You just need to watch it long enough to fully understand the characters, sounds patronizing, but I fecking didn't.

Once it got to that stage, I was ready for Season 2, and Season 2 is just special.....

I actually would do anything to live in the Trailer Park Boys world, it's amazing.

I've watched all the series at least 3 times over, going back again since a lot of it is hazy. Shown it to a few people, it basically took over one of those guys lives.

I can't recommend it enough, it has the same sort of constant, consistent loud out loud humour that The Thick of It boasts.

alastair

ignorant
Just an update on this - I have found out that the reserve transmission date for Series 4 is October the 13th. Therefore, it could either be broadcast then, or maybe a little bit later. What it does show, however, is that it's certainly coming back, which is reason to celebrate.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
An American version has been commissioned for HBO as well.

mr.suave

Just ploughed my way through the first 3 series of this. feck me, it's absolutely hilarious. I can't believe it's taken this long to finally get round to watching it.

All the characters are funny in their own way but Malcolm Tucker is the most quotable character on TV, some of the lines he comes out with are fecking gold. Even the basic insults he comes out with are piss funny...

eric le roi

My favourite Malcolm Tucker line has to be "What's up with you? You look like you've shat a Lego garage".

Great news on the new series.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Just an update on this - I have found out that the reserve transmission date for Series 4 is October the 13th. Therefore, it could either be broadcast then, or maybe a little bit later. What it does show, however, is that it's certainly coming back, which is reason to celebrate.
Great news!

Zen

Ianucci said on Twitter that it doesn't even start filming until next march -_-

alastair

ignorant
Ianucci said on Twitter that it doesn't even start filming until next march -_-
Um, no he didn't. Unless you have a link to the tweet. When I was working at the Beeb, I had to deal with the television transmission database, and it was definitely on a stand-by date of October the 13th for 2011.

alastair

ignorant
My favourite line has to be -

'How many are there there?'

'Eight.'

'Right. Eight constitutes a lock down. Listen up! It's a fecking lockdown, right now!'

'Oh come on Malcolm, we're not in a prison drama.'

We are in a prison drama. This is the shawshank redemption, except tunnelling through more shit, and no fecking redemption!'

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Agree with the modern family shout but never seen much of the thick of it.

But modern family

Pointing to his mouth: "Where you from originally?"
Points to his eyes: "I could defeat you in physical combat, yeah."

nemanja nemagic

In complete agreement with everything positive about the thick of it in this thread. Can find no fault with any character. Watched the entire thing in less than a week. The list of Tucker lines is endless, but my favourite moment of all has to be when Terri is apologising for the new female minister's (Nicola is it?) cock up in season 3, and whilst watching on her on television Glenn makes a throwaway comment about how half of her family are dead. One of the many moments I almost fell off my chair laughing

MJLD

New series in Autumn. I've just watched them all for the first time. Brilliant series.

Are the specials worth watching?

Zen

Well if you download it....the specials are season 2. First 6 season 1, then then 2 specials, then 8 for the third season.

So kind of integral to the overall story, though not really, since you can kind of pick it up anywhere -_-

kps88

Season one was the greatest. Nothing beats Hugh Abbot.

alastair

ignorant
There's a trailer out, I've just seen it on the BBC. Coming soon. Literally couldn't be more excited.

It appears to be a coalition, so in that case, I can't wait to see Olly working with Phil, and the spin doctors together.

I could scream.