The Third Redcafe Sheep Draft

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I'll put up a graphic of Joga's side here later. If Invictus is OK, you can set up a match thread for comments purposes.
I can do a small writeup for Joga too, if no one minds. Haven't prepared mine yet, but since I'm gonna do it, might as well do it for Joga (will keep both at roughly the same word-count/ length).

PS: I have my formation, as well as his, because I wanted to collate the teams and put up an opposition graphic. If you haven't created the graphic yet, we can use that. I'll PM the game mods if they're ok with it. And Joga's writeup will be from his perspective (or from a neutral's) I'd like to add. Wouldn't wanna be un-professional.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I can do a small writeup for Joga too, if no one minds. Haven't prepared mine yet, but since I'm gonna do it, might as well do it for Joga (will keep both at roughly the same word-count/ length).

PS: I have my formation, as well as his, because I wanted to collate the teams and put up an opposition graphic. If you haven't created the graphic yet, we can use that. I'll PM the game mods if they're ok with it. And Joga's writeup will be from his perspective (or from a neutral's) I'd like to add. Wouldn't wanna be un-professional.
Put it up.

Any other views on when to do the reinforcement round?
Earlier the better. I'll not be there for 2 weeks from 7th Jan. Hopefully this gets over or I get knocked out by then.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Team Joga Bonito

DEFENSE

Jörg Daniel, a reliable keeper with good shot stopping skills and aerial ability, which would come handy in nullifying the Vieri-Gento header from cross combo.

Lilian Thuram, one of the greatest defenders of not just the modern era but all time, Is flanked on the right by AC Milan legend Francesco Zagatti, who was an exceptional defender in Italian football.

On the left hand side of the defense, there is Míchael Umaña, a very underrated defender who was not just the backbone of Costa Rica, but a stalwart for LA Galaxy. He is flanked by the legendary Bob Holmes, the "last of the Invincibles" of Preston North End's famous, unbeaten team.

MIDFIELD

Ahead of them is the double pivot of two of the greatest central midfielders to ever grace the sport - Johan Neeskens and Ballon D'Or winner Masopust. Neeskens is arguably the most hardworking midfielder of all time, and a GOAT level box to box midfielder with his surging runs, defensive nous and monstrous workrate.

And Josef Maspost was no slouch defensively either. Though here will be tasked with pulling the strings from midfield whilst also being an active participant of the 'midfield battle' and aiding the defense whenever necessary. His trademark dribbling ability, long range shots, industry, pin point passes and link up play with both Neeskens and Schuster would prove key here.

Bernd Schuster has full license to roam and contribute to both phases of the game. He'll be the ubiquitous tornado here, pressing, probing, going on powerful mazy runs, pinging balls, scoring screamers and getting on the end of things

FORWARDS

One of the greatest and most versatile German forwards ever, Jürgen Grabowski will be a deadly creator and secondary scorer in this setup.

At his peak of his game, there was no better lead striker in European football than the legendary Mighty Magyar Sándor Kocsis, who is a GOAT tier #9 and the greatest header of the ball in football history. Just to sample what he is capable of - His 1.103 goals/game average is ranked No.1 for players past 43 caps FIFA in class-A competition, closely followed by Gerd Müller with 1.097 goals/game (68 scores in 62 games), and are the only two players in history above a +1.0 goals/game average encompassing more than 43 internationals. Ferenc Puskás with .99 goals/game (84 goals in 85 matches) is currently ranked 3rd. The perfect spearhead to complete and facilitate the attack.

To complete the trio, we have Real Madrid legend Michel on the left - who was 4th on the Ballon D'Or at his peak, and one of the top scorers of both 1990 World Cup, as well as the top scorer of the 1988 European Cup.

Defensive Line : Normal

1) With outrageous creative talents such as Schuster, Masopust, Grabowski, Michel and to a certain extent Neeskens, it would be hard for any defense to keep them quiet.

2) Kocsis as the focal point means there is a clinical finisher at the end of the chances created and it also manages to enhance the already impressive goalscoring nature of his fellow forwards. The Kocis-Michel-Grabowski link ups ones to look out for.

3) Invictus and I have a rather similar attacking set ups. A goalscoring attacking playmaker, a Spanish wide attacker/ winger of sorts on the left, a right inside forward/ winger of sorts and a goalscoring target man who ties it all up.

However, I think my focal point Kocsis is better than Vieri and will have more joy against his defense.

4) The Schuster-Masopust-Neekens partnership has the potential to overrun any midfield let alone one sporting the sheep. Even if the game comes to fine margins, I have the right balance of creativity, workrate, defensive nous and driving ability from midfield. I think the opposition will find it hard to resolve this portion of the pitch.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Good job @Invictus . Shouldn't Michel and Grabowski switch sides though? I'm pretty sure Michel generally played on the right side and that's where he could use his great crossing ability to best effect, whereas Grabowski played on both sides IIRC from previous research.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yep, sure, we can switch sides. The writeup was easy because I basically just lifted it in totum from Joga's Sheep Draft 2 post. :lol:

Team Invictus/ KM

Advanced Gameplan:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
As we still need to play @Invictus v Joga, my initial plan to schedule reinforcements before Christmas is in the bin. Suggest we kick off on Boxing Day and aim to get the Quarter Final matches completed before New Year.
Already gave a walkover to Invictus and it wouldn't be great to try and force through a half-baked match with just one committed manager (apologies for the no-show once again) whilst everyone else waits for reinforcements, so please proceed on with the draft, with Invictus in the next round. Cheers.

RESULTS: ROUND ONE

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
feck it, I'll start the reinforcement round tonight.

ROUND ONE RESULTS

Cal? 3-2 Tuppet

Ronaldo 14.....Di Stefano 33, 78
Ibrahimovic 62
Traore OG 90

Edgar/ctp 2-1 mazhar
Sarosi 57.........Hasselbaink 80
C. Moore 89

Chesterlesteet 2-1 Marty/bleezy

Owen 6...................Fontaine 21
Larsson 77

Isotope 3-2 The Stain
Van Basten 38, 44, 61...Foulke OG 8
.................................Stoichkov 83

Enigma/RedTiger 2-1 MJJ
Signori 57....................Robson 62
Shearer 87

Stobzilla 2-1 Skizzo/Pat
Dean 56........Moreno 28
Maradona 75

Sjor/Physio 3-2 Snow
Law 47, 82..........Bale 2
Johnstone 67.......Holebas OG 24

Invictus/KM w/o Joga

FIRST REINFORCEMENT ROUND

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

FIRST REINFORCEMENT ROUND

The instructions for this round are as follows:
  1. Choose a player from the reinforcement pool you wish to pick
  2. Choose two players from the reinforcement pool you wish to block
If nobody else blocks or picks your player in that stage, he is yours.

There will be three stages in this round. You will be able to pick a maximum of two players. Therefore, if after successfully picking two players after two stages, you will have completed the reinforcement round and will have to sit out the third and final stage. Any blocked players become available again for the following stage.

The reinforcement pool is as follows:

(1) Stoichkov (2) De Gea (3) Xavi (4) R. Carlos (5) Cohen (6) A. Borges (7) Jara (8) Townsend (9) Gillespie (10) Iniesta (11) Eurico Gomes (12) Rossi
(1) Kocsis (2) Schuster (3) Thuram (4) Michel (5) Grabowski (6) B. Holmes (7) M. Holland (8) Umana (9) Masopust (10) Zagatti (11) Neeskens (12) Daniel
(1) Boniek (2) Djemba-Djemba (3) M. Laudrup (4) Arce (5) Bale (6) Mario Coluna (7) Mensah (8) Dezotti (9) Schmeichel (10) Larrazábal (11) Bonini (12) António Sousa
(1) Yashin (2) A. Hansen (3) Völler (4) R. Gomez (5) McGrath (6) Souness (7) Romario (8) Petrescu (9) Gullit (10) Mazzola (11) Robson (12) Ferrer
(1) Baros (2) Fontaine (3) Kahn (4) Srna (5) Spearing (6) Cerezo (7) Ballack (8) Cambiasso (9) Koeman (10) Joan Segarra (11) Winterburn (12) Zola
(1) Dasayev (2) Pedernera (3) N. Santos (4) Nelinho (5) Antognoni (6) José Manuel Moreno (7) Trezeguet (8) Jorge Rodriguez (9) Rensenbrink (10) Gonçalves (11) Rosato (12) Horst
(1) Netto (2) Schiaffino (3) Matthews (4) Genghini (5) Hasselbaink (6) Stielike (7) Quirarte (8) Rotariu (9) Charles (10) Armando Castellazzi (11) Seaman (12) Bennarivo
(1) Olisadebe (2) V. Mazzola (3) Balint (4) Wynalda (5) Djimi Traore (6) Breitner (7) Bergkamp (8) Brnović (9) Di Stefano (10) Plánička (11) Roth (12) Jardine

You have until 23:59 GMT on 24 December 2015.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good question. In theory yes. It could be changed if folk want to complicate matters, but I'm happy with it as it is.
Would all reinforcements be the same way?

If so better to change and prohibit repeat blocks. In Semi's and finals it can be used negatively. Make it like you can block a player once per reinforcement round. Would make things more interesting imo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

If so better to change and prohibit repeat blocks. In Semi's and finals it can be used negatively. Make it like you can block a player once per reinforcement round. Would make things more interesting imo.
In the interests of variety and fecking you all over, different criteria will be in place for different reinforcement rounds.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I'm open to changing it so that you can only block a player once in the three stages (out of 6 potential blocks). But I'd want at least 3 managers to say that's their preference before acting on it - and quickly before any sheep-shagger submits their selections.

Enigma_87

You know who
This makes it quite complicated especially now to get a player in a position that you need, especially full backs and wingers as with 3 picks you can block/pick all better players in the position you need, and most teams have problem with width. I too was hoping for something easier...

I'm open to changing it so that you can only block a player once in the three stages (out of 6 potential blocks). But I'd want at least 3 managers to say that's their preference before acting on it - and quickly before any sheep-shagger submits their selections.
maybe 2 picks - 2 blocks is probably better for each round, so that you have a better chance to at least get one player in the position you need. But that's just my opinion.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'll give you boys an hour for any feedback on the round proposal. Any consensus emerging in that time and we can look to make a change. If not, we go ahead as planned.

ctp

I don't think it should be 2 picks per round, keep it at one. For blocks, I'd prefer either two per round limited to one block per player overall or just one, but it remains for the whole of the reinforcement round, so the player can't be picked at all.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't think it should be 2 picks per round, keep it at one. For blocks, I'd prefer either two per round limited to one block per player overall or just one, but it remains for the whole of the reinforcement round, so the player can't be picked at all.
That gives advantage to managers that have their wide positions filled in full backs and wingers, as the pool for those players is really tight. 2 and 2 I've suggested as in this case you have an equal chance to getting/filling at least one position as to blocking. It is also interesting as some manager may insure themselves picking 2 players in the same positions, which essentially makes it a tad tougher than to have 1 pick and 1 block.

btw, will the players that have successfully passed be announced as signed as in previous drafts? @Gio

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
maybe 2 picks - 2 blocks is probably better for each round, so that you have a better chance to at least get one player in the position you need. But that's just my opinion.
Keep it simple and similar to draft rounds. 2 rounds with 3 attempts per round.

Every attempt you can pick 1 and block 1. Consecutive blocking prohibited (that means you can block the same player in attempts 1 & 3)
If after 3 attempts a manager is unable to get a reinforcement, he forfeits that round with no reinforcement.

Rinse and repeat for round 2.

@Gio

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
sorry guys we were out celebrating our first win....ever.