The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stactix

At the end of the day, Trump's an evil cnut, that without a doubt deserves to be rotting in prison.

Proud of the protesters in all fecking honesty, rather that than the fecking Racists cnuts, of which there are many welcoming him with open arms.
Would just secure his already impenetrable base that little more.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Meanwhile our country and our lives are up in the air because we're letting our halfwit politicians feck everything up. But that's not fashionable enough for people. Let's protest the legitimate elected leader of the States. Very good.
It's got feck all to do with fashionable at all. It's purely because Trump is here on UK soil and because not only was he invited, but that he was also granted a state visit and meeting with the Queen. One where he, as predicted, completely embarrassed himself, his country, and as with everything, showed a complete and utter disregard for everyone and anything but himself.

This protest is designed to show the exact leaders and government you mentioned, that we have had enough and will stand up for what we believe is right. Trump should never have been invited here in the first place.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Meanwhile our country and our lives are up in the air because we're letting our halfwit politicians feck everything up. But that's not fashionable enough for people. Let's protest the legitimate elected leader of the States. Very good.
Protests are inevitable with Trump, but you do make a good point.

langster

Scout
Protests are inevitable with Trump, but you do make a good point.
He really doesn't at all. As I said above, they are protesting our government as much as Trump himself. I'm in a group chat with some people who were there and are now just arriving in Scotland, and they are all as angry with our government and the invite and subsequent sycophantic sucking up to Trump, as they are with Trump himself. Many are using this to attack our government as well as Trump.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He really doesn't at all. As I said above, they are protesting our government as much as Trump himself. I'm in a group chat with some people who were there and are now just arriving in Scotland, and they are all as angry with our government and the invite and subsequent sycophantic sucking up to Trump, as they are with Trump himself. Many are using this to attack our government as well as Trump.
If they're angry with the government then why are they following Trump around on a golf course in Scotland and not protesting infront of UK politicians instead.

langster

Scout
If they're angry with the government then why are they following Trump around on a golf course in Scotland and not protesting infront of UK politicians instead.
They are. There are countless protests planned and we will use our democratic power of voting when we can. They are following Trump round because he's not here long and he ducked London like the fecking coward he is. Look through the footage and you will see hundreds of anti Brexit and anti Tory government signs and hear loads of chants against them too. They still protested in London because it's the capital and because it's sending a message to our own leaders.

It's really not rocket science.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They are. There are countless protests planned and we will use our democratic power of voting when we can. They are following Trump round because he's not here long and he ducked London like the fecking coward he is. Look through the footage and you will see hundreds of anti Brexit and anti Tory government signs and hear loads of chants against them too. They still protested in London because it's the capital and because it's sending a message to our own leaders.

It's really not rocket science.
What would be the point of protesting Trump though ? Its obviously not going to change anything in terms of policy or any other part of his visit.

Abizzz

What would be the point of protesting Trump though ? Its obviously not going to change anything in terms of policy or any other part of his visit.
If Sky News is to be trusted a good chunk of the protesters are Americans living in Britain.

kps88

It's a form of speech. The optics of America's closest ally protesting their president have made headlines all over the world. You could say it's pointless, but that's like saying expressing a political opinion is pointless.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You told me yesterday it was to let off steam! Changed your tone?
Suppose we would have to qualify “letting off some steam” into two distinct subcategories. The first would be emotionally flailing at something with no tangible expectation that it will change the target of the protest. The 2nd would be protesting something to exert a degree of pressure on someone to change their ways. The 2nd is preferable because it may actually result in some degree of change. The first not so much.

Oscie

If you were planning to protest against someone visiting surely doing it before they had already visited would be a start? Just because I dislike Trump it doesn't mean there's an obligation to agree with everything anyone says that's negative against him. I don't even agree with every criticism of Corbyn believe it or not.

The baby balloon is brilliant. The media coverage of what he's actually says is cutting and on the ball. The protest seems like an indulgence for people who just like protesting. You don't wait until the horse is already galloping in the field before you make it clear you think the stable boy should keep the door bolted shut. Of course you're perfectly entitled to do so, but I'm perfectly entitled to think it's a bit of a waste of time if you do.

Too many protests are bereft of an actual cause and are just gatherings for people who vaguely agree on something in general, often for different reasons. Protesting Trump being issued an invitation to visit after he's landed and already visiting is an example

Ady87

Bit of a ramble incoming. Massive Spanner's comment about rather going for a pint might have been throw away, but I've actually seen loads of that kind of statement recently.

My friend at work shared a semi-pro boxers comments about protesters being idiots for protesting a man that's "said and done a few stupid things". I personally think this boxer, and my mate, don't have the mental capacity, patience or inclination to learn why that doesn't begin to scratch the surface. This concerns me, because my mate really shouldn't be the demographic taking this stance.

Sadly, I think there are more of these people than we can accurately quantify, the silent majority, as I keep reading. It's painful then, that the people trying to do something about it, me included, seem to make things worse by not completely pandering to these people which we might need to do.

As a salesman that's taken many courses in persuasion and negotiating, I feel like I can get in to the heads of a Trump supporter or their equivalent in the UK and put things in whatever terms might resonate with them. My Mum, however, a staunch Labour supporter and protester, would just batter people over the heads with emotion and, whilst saying all of the right things, not actually changing to many people's minds. With that in mind, I don't know how we or America fix this on a large scale. America shouldn't need to rely on big Meuller news to avoid a Trump second term. He's done enough damage, just not enough of us care to know it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Come on mate. This is one thing it's daft to seek to be contrarian about.

manc exile

Supports
City

actually we voted for the politicians to feck everything up because we voted for brexit.
there is no way to achieve brexit without fecking everything up.

doesnt matter whether the politicians are geniuses, halfwits or complete morons, the results of brexit are the same a complete feckup.

ChaddyP

Same thing like punching a racist. Gives you that feel good feeling, I would imagine

MJJ

Yup, his visit to the capital went so well. Its silly and wrong saying it wont change anything when it already has.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yup, his visit to the capital went so well. Its silly and wrong saying it wont change anything when it already has.
He met May and the Queen. The protests merely moved the location, not the substance of his meetings.

The Firestarter

Of course protests matter. Governments pay to poll for popular opinions all the time, well this one is for free.

ChaddyP

Except there would be no element of reciprocation. Its simply harassing someone for no reason other than to feel good.

I guess the brits could say that they are somewhat affected by the POTUS. His Climate accord withdrawal, EPA changes, threatning nato and things like that. They could be unhappy about what he's done at the border, the racist things he has said in public and private or even his new friendships with dictators. Will protesting him change his mind ? Stop him? derail him? Make any sort of difference nope. Will it make them feel good. Probably. Thats why I equate the two

langster

Scout
A myriad of reasons. To piss him off. To show Americans that we don't like or tolerate his shit either and we stand with them and feel their pain. To show him that there are places around the world that will stand up to his bullying. To show May and her government that we disagree with the visit AND that any arsekissery will result in lost votes. (This is the main aspect that baffles me in the US with the Republicans, they can see how disliked he is and how toxic he is and how sticking with him brings a huge chance of losing votes and donors yet they either stick with him or stay silent like cowards knowing it could destroy their party in November, It's pathetic)

As previously said too, this is so much more than just standing against Trump. It's standing against everything he stands for such as adultery, sexism and misogyny, racism and xenophobia, the separating of children from parents, removal of transgender from the military and taking rights from the LGBTQ community. Empowering white supremacists just for their votes, pathological lying, destruction of the environment purely for greed, corruption, destruction of obamacare and the constant slagging and misrepresentation and lying about universal healthcare. The trade wars and tariffs, the gun laws and pro NRA bullshit, the disrespect to NFL athletes protesting a sincere and real problem, the constant siding with Israel and the Russia connection etc..... I could go on for hours. The people over here after being royally fecked by Brexit are standing up and saying NO! Enough is enough. We don't like this shit, you don't represent our views or wishes and like feck are we going to make a cnut like Trump feel welcome and further empower the dickheads who have either fallen for his bullshit or those who agree with it anyway because they think just like he does.

Bollocks to that. Although I'm sure he will pivot any day soon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A myriad of reasons. To piss him off. To show Americans that we don't like or tolerate his shit either and we stand with them and feel their pain. To show him that there are places around the world that will stand up to his bullying. To show May and her government that we disagree with the visit AND that any arsekissery will result in lost votes. (This is the main aspect that baffles me in the US with the Republicans, they can see how disliked he is and how toxic he is and how sticking with him brings a huge chance of losing votes and donors yet they either stick with him or stay silent like cowards knowing it could destroy their party in November, It's pathetic)

As previously said too, this is so much more than just standing against Trump. It's standing against everything he stands for such as adultery, sexism and misogyny, racism and xenophobia, the separating of children from parents, removal of transgender from the military and taking rights from the LGBTQ community. Empowering white supremacists just for their votes, pathological lying, destruction of the environment purely for greed, corruption, destruction of obamacare and the constant slagging and misrepresentation and lying about universal healthcare. The trade wars and tariffs, the gun laws and pro NRA bullshit, the disrespect to NFL athletes protesting a sincere and real problem, the constant siding with Israel and the Russia connection etc..... I could go on for hours. The people over here after being royally fecked by Brexit are standing up and saying NO! Enough is enough. We don't like this shit, you don't represent our views or wishes and like feck are we going to make a cnut like Trump feel welcome and further empower the dickheads who have either fallen for his bullshit or those who agree with it anyway because they think just like he does.

Bollocks to that. Although I'm sure he will pivot any day soon.
Good answer.

MJJ

Nothing substantive. In the end, he still did what he set out to do and meet with those he planned to meet with.
Not really, not visiting the capital is pretty embarrassing for any politician. The image being presented is more important than the substance.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not really, not visiting the capital is pretty embarrassing for any politician. The image being presented is more important than the substance.
It wasn't embarrassing for Trump, since he obviously doesn't really care about what left wing protestors who don't like him in the first place have to say. What would be embarrassing for him would be if Putin stood him up or if Melania said she hasn't slept with him in years.

RedTiger

Half mast
It wasn't embarrassing for Trump, since he obviously doesn't really care about left wing protestors who don't like him in the first place have to say. What would be embarrassing for him would be if Putin stood him up or if Melania said she hasn't slept with him in years.
We're obviously not protesting for the sole viewing benefit of your President, rather it's aimed at the political apparatus that has partnered with Trump as well as procedurally backed him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We're obviously not protesting for the sole viewing benefit of your President, rather it's aimed at the political apparatus that has partnered with Trump as well as procedurally backed him.
That actually makes a lot of sense since that affects domestic politics.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What would be embarrassing for him would be if Putin stood him up or if Melania said she hasn't slept with him in years.
I can't believe Putin did that on a first date.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I dislike spiteful and childish sycophants like Sanders almost as much as Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.