The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
These hearings have generally devolved into pure theater with the opposition, who have little recourse to stop the nomination from proceeding, are using the spectacle to fire up their own base prior to elections.
That's all they ever were because the votes were already locked in. Something the Republicans understood from the start. Sen. Hirono is the only Dem so far who is making multiple points that both have depth when put under deeper analysis but can also make good sound bites. Also unlike most she doesn't let Kavanaugh get a word in that she doesn't want him to. She is playing the game better than any of the other Dems so far.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
What a farce these hearings are. There were never meant to be anything real of course as Kavanaugh's votes are already locked in. But its remarkable how under-prepared and clueless the establishment Democrats have been. Just inexcusably sloppy comments that seem to forget there is an important mid-term election coming up. Feinstein is really a joke of a Democrat and is about 6-12 years past her expiration date. Really ineffective as the ranking member of the opposition party. Republicans just play the modern politics game c.2018 much better than these past their expiration date Dems.
Feinstein is a moderate Republican. one of those corporate types. She had too much money and name recognition to beat off a real progressive.

If they do not destroy all those unseen documents first, should the Dems take control of both House and Senate a lot will come out about what is hidden.
Perhaps Kavanaugh can been impeached for perjury.

This is how crucial this election is.

ChaddyP

In this case we just have the anonymous piece so we don't have the credibility of two journalists putting their names on the line for credibility. Its a small but important difference for me.

We have the credibility of the New York Times. That's a lot of credibility. The person is anonymous to us. Not to them. The new York Times itself has put its credibility on the line over This. To me that's even more cridible and why the administration itself isn't really saying this is fake.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Feinstein is a moderate Republican. one of those corporate types. She had too much money and name recognition to beat off a real progressive.

If they do not destroy all those unseen documents first, should the Dems take control of both House and Senate a lot will come out about what is hidden.
Perhaps Kavanaugh can been impeached for perjury.

This is how crucial this election is.
Very true. I'm much happier now since Hirono began her questioning. At least there is someone who gets it, knows whats going on and is making point after factual point.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
We have the credibility of the New York Times. That's a lot of credibility. The person is anonymous to us. Not to them. The new York Times itself has put its credibility on the line over This. To me that's even more cridible and why the administration itself isn't really saying this is fake.
Problem is the same as Judith Miller who inflated her source dishonestly. Personally I'd bet on this being someone significantly below Pence or Bolton's level, more like the speechwriter as speculated earlier.

ChaddyP

Problem is the same as Judith Miller who inflated her source dishonestly. Personally I'd bet on this being someone significantly below Pence or Bolton's level, more like the speechwriter as speculated earlier.
Normally I would agree here but it's so very rare nearly unprecedented for the New York Times to post an op-Ed like this signed anonymously. It would surely have to take it being someone extremely high up for them to agree to doing this. That's my view anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Normally I would agree here but it's so very rare nearly unprecedented for the New York Times to post an op-Ed like this signed anonymously. It would surely have to take it being someone extremely high up for them to agree to doing this. That's my view anyway.
All I can say is that if its Pence it would be one of the most diabolical acts a VP has ever undertaken against his boss.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Clearly the writer is trying to move into the open while still covering his ass through anonymity in the first stage of his real coup.

TBF though if you have a cavalier president who attempts to enact necessary hardline policies that career politicians are too afraid to pursue which are then watered down by said politicians to be digestable in today's snowflake West I don't see anything wrong with it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Clearly the writer is trying to move into the open while still covering his ass through anonymity in the first stage of his real coup.

TBF though if you have a cavalier president who attempts to enact necessary hardline policies that career politicians are too afraid to pursue which are then watered down by said politicians to be digestable in today's snowflake West I don't see anything wrong with it.
One of the things that struck me as i was reading it is that the Times likely gently edited the word structure from its original draft by the author to avoid anyone figuring out the writing style. It had that oddly generic style to it.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
All I can say is that if its Pence it would be one of the most diabolical acts a VP has ever undertaken against his boss.
nah. he is toast in 2020 if it is him.

But as I speculated there will be several people close to Trump willing to put the knife in. These 'resistence' people must be aware of what is coming down.

The Dems should they flip Congress have a huge opportunity to take the whole cake.

Offer him the opportunity to resign in exchange for handing over Pence and every person who helped him. He has no loyalty whatsoever.
His children are small potatoes.

But lets remember we have traitors in the Democratic party too. Those who are only interested in an opportunity to line their pockets.

Trump is guilty of multiple crimes including Treason and numerous attempts to obstruct justice and cover up his crimes.

we are talking of a see change opportunity. For decades.

I dont trust Shumer at all.

Bernie does not seem to have that ruthlessness.

It will take someone who can look someone in the eye and put the knife in.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
One of the comments on the op ed

This is just crazy. How can you have a democracy, in which the president is functionally dysfunctional? And then, according to this 'anonymous source', we are to rest assured that the democracy is still in good hands, because it is being guided by their 'invisible hands'? That sounds like a coup d'etat, for one thing, and therefore unconstitutional. The anonymous source should immediately come forward. We the people, and our elected leaders should decide if we want our country run by a secret cabal behind an insane potentate? Announce yourself!

ChaddyP

Pence and Bolton are the only two I can think of.

Or it could've been KellyAnne who deliberately worded it as if its one of the aforementioned two.
Pence can't be fired anyway and NYT was worried about the author losing their Job. Bolton just got here he wouldn't have been in 25th amendment discussions by the time he arrived.

I do however suspect KellyAnne.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Pence can't be fired anyway and NYT was worried about the author losing their Job. Bolton just got here he wouldn't have been in 25th amendment discussions by the time he arrived.

I do however suspect KellyAnne.
Yeah....imagine if she got her husband (who hates Trump) to write it for her.

Fergies Gum

Its absurd to think that Pence wrote the article. He's waiting in the wings to become president and no way would he risk everything by writing this op-ed.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
If this is true - and there seems every reason to think it probably is - then it can't go on much longer. Next few months are going to be insane.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If this is true - and there seems every reason to think it probably is - then it can't go on much longer. Next few months are going to be insane.
A lot of events converging at the same time - Mueller making progress, SDNY making progress with Cohen, the David Pecker situation with the Inquirer, the Woodward book, the NY Times Op-Ed....Dems looking likely to win the house etc. The dam will burst at some point....and it will be spectacular.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
One of the things that struck me as i was reading it is that the Times likely gently edited the word structure from its original draft by the author to avoid anyone figuring out the writing style. It had that oddly generic style to it.
Problem is this just feeds into the "drain the swamp" and "wanker media" line that's sitting so well with his core supporters.

Could even precipitate increased presidential powers if the polls are high enough when he launches his 2020 manifesto.

Status
Not open for further replies.