The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggs86

And why, exactly, do these wealthy Republican clowns think that Chinese folks eat such stuff? Here's a clue: it's because of poverty, and having to eat anything you can to stay alive...an experience unknown to people like Senator Cornyn.
Is it though? I remember reading quite the opposite, that those exotic animals that brought SARS and Covid (Pangolins, Civic cats, Snakes etc.) are pretty expensive for the ordinary Chinese folk and therefore those who consume them are mostly rich people. So this is not a result of poverty but of some disgusting and sick behavior.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Is it though? I remember reading quite the opposite, that those exotic animals that brought SARS and Covid (Pangolins, Civic cats, Snakes etc.) are pretty expensive for the ordinary Chinese folk and therefore those who consume them are mostly rich people. So this is not a result of poverty but of some disgusting and sick behavior.
It started off because of poverty. Blame capitalism and contemporary culture for making it expensive. But you want to start painting 1.4billion people all like that, dont be surprised if you are accused of racism.

Many people have bought into this schtick. Quite a few Asians including non-Chinese have already been beaten up ''for bringing the virus to their country.''

Yeah. Words dont matter.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Japanese Encephalitis, German measles, Spanish Flu, all named after countries, what is the issue here?
Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain. Most likely Kansas, USA (depending on who you believe). The only reason why it was called Spanish Flu was because Spain was the only country to accurately report the carnage. The other countries (including the USA) where it most likely originated from were too busy engaging in war propaganda to accurately report the real origins and death tolls.

Ask yourself this: Do you think the US would be fine with calling a deadly virus that originated form the US the "American Virus"?

I really wish people would fall for obvious state-sponsored xenophobia.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm not. And the point is? Is MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus) also racist towards people from the middle east?

Chinese virus. Virus originated in China. End of. People who think it's racist need to get a grip. I'm shocked this is even news.
So you are you in favor of changing the name of the Spanish Flu to the American Flu?

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
More Chinese racism from Trump's government.

Xenophobia perhaps, but I don't think he's said anything racist?
And why, exactly, do these wealthy Republican clowns think that Chinese folks eat such stuff? Here's a clue: it's because of poverty, and having to eat anything you can to stay alive...an experience unknown to people like Senator Cornyn.
Actually, those wild 'wet markets' are the preserve of China's rich and elite. That's why they continue to operate.

After SARS, the Chinese government temporarily shut down such markets, then reopened them again after pressure from the wealthy wild meat lobby.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain. Most likely Kansas, USA (depending on who you believe). The only reason why it was called Spanish Flu was because Spain was the only country to accurately report the carnage. The other countries (including the USA) where it most likely originated from were too busy engaging in war propaganda to accurately report the real origins and death tolls.

Ask yourself this: Do you think the US would be fine with calling a deadly virus that originated form the US the "American Virus"?

I see you haven't addressed Japanese Encephalitis or German measles, what about MERS, West Nile Virus, Zika, Ebola?

Personally I think it should be called Wuhan virus, likes SARS should have been the Guangzhou virus.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not true. It started like that, but wet markets are not because of poverty. It is essentially a farming industry nowadays, nothing to do with the poverty.

Revan

Assumptionman

The main theory for the Spanish flu is that it originated in China, followed by originating in Kansas City.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I read a bunch of scientific papers, where actual scientists are discussing the origin of COVID-19. Nobody suggested, anywhere that the source was somebody eating bats. All we know is that bats (which generally carry ton of viruses of all kinds) carry some viruses of corona type that are very close to COVID-19. They also said that very likely humans didn't get this from bats directly but via some other species. Say, a bat attacking a dog or a camel and the latter spitting on a human may be all that happened. But those things are also very speculative.

The only connection to food is that first patients, in China, all had attended Wuhan market. But that really means nothing. It could be total correlation – it's a popular market. Or it could be that the patient zero went to that market (not necessarily having contracted the virus at the market) and then infected a bunch of people there because it is a busy market. Duh!

But Fox News put "Wuhan market" and "bats" together and manufactured the story about how "Chinese eating bats" caused the outbreak. It's bullshit. Nobody serious is saying anything remotely that kind.

NewGlory

Japanese Encephalitis, German measles, Spanish Flu, all named after countries, what is the issue here?
"Spanish Flu" was a propaganda name. Countries that were part of the World War One (Britain, Germany, France) didn't want to cause panic in their armies so manufactured news that most people sick from the flu were in Spain (which was not part of the war). They emphasized this theory by covering every case in Spain and not reporting about their own cases.

You know, kinda like "Chinese Flu" is currently used for propaganda? The whole point of using this name is to deflect blame and make public feel like "Chinese gave it to us, so everything that happens is all their fault".

Global pandemics do not have "nationality". This virus is no more Chinese than Swine Flu is "American". Do you know that Swine Flu started in the United States? Should we have called it "American Virus"? :)

Last edited:

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He invoked the Defense Production Act but doesn't plan to use it right now. We're already two months behind responding to this disaster, and he's going to dawdle some more? The CDC is publishing information on how to improvise facemasks because there aren't enough, and he's not going to order companies to make them. There will be a shortage of ventilators, and he's telling the states to fend for themselves. The military could be helping to build makeshift hospitals, but they have no orders to do anything. He sent a hospital ship to New York that won't be ready to depart for weeks.

What the feck is he doing?

Giggs86

So you are you in favor of changing the name of the Spanish Flu to the American Flu?
Wouldn't have bothered me at all if it was named the American Flu (although those are only speculations, nothing as blatant as originating in a Chinese wet market). Viruses were always named after their geographic place of origin, there are many examples for that.

With that being said, let's not ignore China's role in this mess. From letting those disease ridden markets exist even after SARS to silencing doctors and hiding facts at the beginning of the outbreak.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm thankful for my American passport but ashamed to share a nationality with so many low-intelligence, bible-thumping, sheep who voted in a charlatan to be president.

Cal?

CR7 fan
"Spanish Flu" was a propaganda name. Countries that were part of the World War One (Britain, Germany, France) didn't want to cause panic in their armies so manufactured news that most people sick from the flu were in Spain (which was not part of the war). They emphasized this theory by covering every case in Spain and not reporting about their own cases.

You know, kinda like "Chinese Flu" is currently used for propaganda? The whole point of using this name is to deflect blame and make public feel like "Chinese gave it to us, so everything that happens is all their fault".

Global pandemics do not have "nationality". This virus is no more Chinese than Swine Flu is "American". Do you know that Swine Flu started in the United States? Should we have called it "American Virus"? :)
As posted above
I see you haven't addressed Japanese Encephalitis or German measles, what about MERS, West Nile Virus, Zika, Ebola?

Personally I think it should be called Wuhan virus, likes SARS should have been the Guangzhou virus.
It's not deflecting blame, China caused it, China tried to cover it, China failed to control it, now it's a pandemic.

NewGlory

As posted above

It's not deflecting blame, China caused it, China tried to cover it, China failed to control it, now it's a pandemic.
"caused it"?! Really? Like we (the US) "caused" Swine Flu, just because it started here?

1. There is no "caused it" with viruses, unless you have facts showing that Chinese manufactured the virus and intentionally spread it.
2. Their initial reaction to the spread was inadequate... much like our government's was. One could even argue that they came to their senses faster than US government
3. They didn't fail to control it. It's been only a very short time and they have already contained it and the number of cases are going down. You may criticize the methods they used, but if anything - they did a remarkable job controlling it. Do you even realize how bad things could have become in a country of 1 billion people?

This is a new, extremely unknown and dangerous virus. Your expectations are way off and you seem to be looking for a scapegoat.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
At the end of this I sure hope there is some heavy sanctions on China.
Nah, feck it. Europe must sanction the US and cut ties if Trump is still president come November.

China will be the new superpowerand they will have earned it. I welcome to our new chinese overlords.

sglowrider

He invoked the Defense Production Act but doesn't plan to use it right now. We're already two months behind responding to this disaster, and he's going to dawdle some more? The CDC is publishing information on how to improvise facemasks because there aren't enough, and he's not going to order companies to make them. There will be a shortage of ventilators, and he's telling the states to fend for themselves. The military could be helping to build makeshift hospitals, but they have no orders to do anything. He sent a hospital ship to New York that won't be ready to depart for weeks.

What the feck is he doing?

Call it the Granddad Trump Virus in honour of giving the world both Fred The Dick and subsequently, Donald The Cnut.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Wouldn't have bothered me at all if it was named the American Flu (although those are only speculations, nothing as blatant as originating in a Chinese wet market). Viruses were always named after their geographic place of origin, there are many examples for that.
I wonder why he doesn't just call it Wuhan....

Was West Nile, Zika, and Ebola called African Virus? Don't be obtuse. He purposely enticing xenophobia.

And for the record, "Chinese" is NOT a geographical region.

VP

Exactly. I'm quite amazed so few people are calling out the Chinese for both their negligence and disgusting food habits.

sglowrider

Exactly. I'm quite amazed so few people are calling out the Chinese for both their negligence and disgusting food habits.
You dont think Muslims think eating bacon is disgusting? Eels, cockles? Cow's tongue? Culinary habits are relative.

And people need to stop highlighting their innate prejudice or their parochialism. NOt a good look.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Whoever wins the election in November is pretty much fecked.
Another 1.5trn in tax cuts. This is with record level deficits, a fecked economy and a fed with little instruments left.

sglowrider

Another 1.5trn in tax cuts. This is with record level deficits, a fecked economy and a fed with little instruments left.
Never mind looking at Nate Silver or whoever; its in the stars that the Republicans blow up the budget, the Democrats will be going in to do the austerity measures and then get the blame for the hardship to follow --- only for another Republican to shout Big (spending) Government, Democrats, at the electorate some four years after that.. rinse and wash.

This has been going on for 40 years now.

VP

Every country has disgusting food habits.
But not every country's food habits cripple the world's economy and destroy lives.

You dont think Muslims think eating bacon is disgusting? Eels, cockles? Cow's tongue? Culinary habits are relative.

And people need to stop highlighting their innate prejudice or their parochialism. NOt a good look.
As a vegetarian, I actually do think that's disgusting (but less so than bats) - but that's another debate.

FFS, it's not parochialism to believe killing wild animals (for pleasure) and thereby endangering the planet is unacceptable - it should be common sense.

NewGlory

Not necessarily. Economy was doing fine before this and if the 1.5Trn works out as a stimulus it should boost the economy, restarting it onto a healthy cycle again.

Increased deficit/national debt is obviously bad but this is United States - we literally print dollars :)

According to Modern Monetary Theory economists (which Bernie's chief economic advisor is one of, by the way) when we need money we just print it https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...s-the-government-should-just-print-more-money

And they are dead serious too

Cal?

CR7 fan
"caused it"?! Really? Like we (the US) "caused" Swine Flu, just because it started here?

1. There is no "caused it" with viruses, unless you have facts showing that Chinese manufactured the virus and intentionally spread it.
2. Their initial reaction to the spread was inadequate... much like our government's was. One could even argue that they came to their senses faster than US government
3. They didn't fail to control it. It's been only a very short time and they have already contained it and the number of cases are going down. You may criticize the methods they used, but if anything - they did a remarkable job controlling it. Do you even realize how bad things could have become in a country of 1 billion people?

This is a new, extremely unknown and dangerous virus. Your expectations are way off and you seem to be looking for a scapegoat.
1 - there’s a reason why SARS, COVID all came from China.

2 - their coverup failed and then they tried to contain it, I’m far from convinced by the numbers they’re posting right now

3 - if they acted in Dec instead of late Jan, it would have made all the difference

The CCP has a history of coverups and blaming everyone but themselves, one of their spokesperson accused the US of spreading the virus?

Cal?

CR7 fan
I wonder why he doesn't just call it Wuhan....

Was West Nile, Zika, and Ebola called African Virus? Don't be obtuse. He purposely enticing xenophobia.

And for the record, "Chinese" is NOT a geographical region.
Japanese Encephalitis and German measles say Hi

Japanese or German geographical regions?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
1 - there’s a reason why SARS, COVID all came from China.

2 - their coverup failed and then they tried to contain it, I’m far from convinced by the numbers they’re posting right now

3 - if they acted in Dec instead of late Jan, it would have made all the difference

The CCP has a history of coverups and blaming everyone but themselves, one of their spokesperson accused the US of spreading the virus?
Whereas the US has taken the threat seriously right from the start and acted swiftly.

Member 90887

Exactly this.

Every culture has a different culinary habits. And there is no "this habit is better than the other one". We do not live in the same region of the world, we do not have access to the same food or at least, did not before globalisation.

No need to be this prejudiced against a race because that do not eat the same things as you.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Open air meat markets and dogs, bears bred in cages for meat consumption don't exist anywhere else in the world other than China, Vietnam, Cambodia and other parts of Southeast Asia. Americans are fat lards but they're not remotely in the same stratosphere of animal abuse. Lets get a grip here libcafe.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Open air meat markets and dogs, bears bred in cages for meat consumption don't exist anywhere else in the world other than China, Vietnam, Cambodia and other parts of Southeast Asia. Americans are fat lards but they're not remotely in the same stratosphere of animal abuse. Lets get a grip here libcafe.
Open air meat markets exist all over the world.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I honestly don't see the difference between eating a cow a horse or a dog if they are being bred for food purposes. Nor a chicken or a bat. You either eat meat or you don't. I have limits on what meat I eat but I can't be hypocritical just because of my cultural diet.

I find all this hypocrisy a little sickening to be honest. Trump calling it The Chinese Virus is not the same as someone saying Spanish Flu. Trump full on admitted yesterday it was purely in retaliation to reports of him hearing that China had apparently been blaming the CIA and USA. It's spiteful and his comments drip with spite and xenophobia.

He knows exactly what he is doing and what his words mean and how they will be used and interpreted by his base. Anyone pretending or arguing otherwise is being a fecking idiot and being obtuse and arguing just for arguings sake.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I honestly don't see the difference between eating a cow a horse or a dog if they are being bred for food purposes. Nor a chicken or a bat. You either eat meat or you don't. I have limits on what meat I eat but I can't be hypocritical just because of my cultural diet.

I find all this hypocrisy a little sickening to be honest. Trump calling it The Chinese Virus is not the same as someone saying Spanish Flu. Trump full on admitted yesterday it was purely in retaliation to reports of him hearing that China had apparently been blaming the CIA and USA. It's spiteful and his comments drip with spite and xenophobia.

He knows exactly what he is doing and what his words mean and how they will be used and interpreted by his base. Anyone pretending or arguing otherwise is being a fecking idiot and being obtuse and arguing just for arguings sake.
The point is that most of the animals sold in those Chinese markets are NOT bred for food purposes but caught in the wild for food purposes.

Again, I don't see Japan or Germany having made a fuss about Japanese Encephalitis or German Measles, it's the way the CCP is acting making a huge deal out of it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I honestly don't see the difference between eating a cow a horse or a dog if they are being bred for food purposes. Nor a chicken or a bat. You either eat meat or you don't. I have limits on what meat I eat but I can't be hypocritical just because of my cultural diet
Yeah its not all the same. Chicken, beef, eggs etc are produced on an industrial scale with food safety guidelines and enough research into breeding programs to understand exactly all the risks of contamination and protocols to identify and remove contaminated meat before it reaches consumption.

Shady markets like dog meat trade don't have nearly the same regulations or oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.