The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I'm struggling to understand why. I know women, traditionally, tended to vote more conservative. But that trend is changing and, as far as I'm aware, in recent elections more women voted for Democrats than men in the US.

How could Donald fecking Trump reverse that particular trend? What did he offer to WOMEN? Is it that it was never white women who were responsible for the trend? Or what?
The women want a real man to grab their pussy.

ZDwyr

If I had to take a guess they prefer to vote Republican whoever the nominee is. Misogyny in the way Trump did does not bother them as much as you'd think. I'll say it again, plenty will want to be in Melania's shoes.
I guess party loyalty would definitely be part of it. Not sure on the last part of your post, some might want that but don't know about 'plenty'.

Ady87

His first speech this morning was praising Hilary. I know it's what should be done, but how can someone that has been so venomous and personal so recently try and give her so much credit for service to the country? A bit of continuity at least, please.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
No, Bernie was. The polls told them he would crush both Trump & Clinton but the democrats declared him unelectable... arrogant idiots out of touch with reality.
There's surely no way Sanders would have won an election in America being that far left leaning.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I guess party loyalty would definitely be part of it. Not sure on the last part of your post, some might want that but don't know about 'plenty'.
There are plenty of women who would sell their souls to be married to a rich man, let alone the president of the USA

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I am pretty sure about 'plenty'. The idea of conquering a billionaire husband and becoming first lady is tempting to say the least.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yep. Particularly in rape cases, women are more likely to not believe the accuser than men.
Personally, I believe that it's about empathy, for most women Clinton isn't the archetype of a good wife, good mother and they can't get behind her.

ZDwyr

There are plenty of women who would sell their souls to be married to a rich man, let alone the president of the USA
I am pretty sure about 'plenty'. The idea of conquering a billionaire husband and becoming first lady is tempting to say the least.
Well we'll agree to disagree on that. But even so, is that still really a justification for voting for Trump? 'I wish I could be his wife, here's a vote'

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well we'll agree to disagree on that. But even so, is that still really a justification for voting for Trump? 'I wish I could be his wife, here's a vote'
Its not, but we don't live in a world where all people do justifiable things
EDIT: In fact we live in a world where many do the opposite.

Enigma_87

You know who
They believe he's got enough money himself so doesn't need to make deals with wall street etc.

More fool them.
They haven't put greed in the equation then. No one wants to put his own money in, doubt Trump is different. He'll service wall street interest as much as any other candidate would, given how well connected he's there.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Before her opponent was Trump, did she seem like a sure thing? I seem to remember when she put herself forward that most of America deemed her un-electable
Well no but that was before it was down to just her and Trump.

Watching some of the debate highlights, it seemed to me like Hilary let him get off lightly. Particularly following the sexist remarks that came out.

How embarrassing being the candidate that lost to Donald Trump.

Skåre Willoch

So many questions.

Will woman be able to have an abortion a year from now?

What'll happen to the Paris agreement?

And minimum wage, will that go up, or will it stay low to "make sure business owners can afford to create new jobs"?

How will he help the national debt by lowering the taxes as much as he plans?

Will the relationship with Russia improve?

Will healthcare for all be binned at first chance?

I just cross my fingers that half of what he was saying was figure of speech to create some heat and debate. And that he becomes as moderate as most other NY republicans.

jimmyb2000

The message to women and migrants is 'shut up and take it'.
It quite clearly isn't that. Are you saying this because you're hurting that Hillary lost ?

DNC would have walked this election if they had selected almost anyone else but Hillary.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Personally, I believe that it's about empathy, for most women Clinton isn't the archetype of a good wife, good mother and they can't get behind her.
Which, in my opinion, is stupid. She may not be as warm & loving as some expect women to be, but that's more of a societal issue. There isn't (or there shouldnt be) an "archetype" of a good wife or mother.
Her husband cheated on her, their whole private life was out in the open for the world to see and ridicule, and yet they've managed to make their marriage work. Raised a successful daughter, and have managed to juggle jobs that most men wouldn't be able to handle.

She's devoted her life to her family & politics, how that paints her in a negative light is beyond me. Yes she's stiff, yes she shouldn't dab, but she's a politician, none of them should. Obama was about as cool as we're going to get, and honestly even as a black guy his rhythm is suspect.

Enigma_87

You know who
Welcome to democracy. Every vote is equal and you have to win the masses, which inevitable decide who should reign. If you leave the decision to the well informed, educated and so forth - well that's no democracy :)

Classical Mechanic

I am fascinated by the number of white women who voted for Trump despite his antics. Would love to get some kind of insight behind their thinking.
I would imagine it is because he talks to the traditional American psyche on a number of levels i.e. repealing most of what Obama tried to achieve.

I think a lot of voters simply don't believe the sexual assault allegations full stop and brush off the casual misogyny he openly displays.

At the end of the day the election was a binary choice. For most voters it seemed to be a choice of the lesser of two evils.

JPRouve

Scout
As a kid I remember plenty of women saying, I'll vote for Chirac because he is handsome.

ZDwyr

Welcome to democracy. Every vote is equal and you have to win the masses, which inevitable decide who should reign. If you leave the decision to the well informed, educated and so forth - well that's no democracy :)
Of course, and I can buy that some may vote for frivolous reasons. But I am skeptical that the majority of the white female voters did so. Or maybe I am overestimating the intellectual levels/care that they had.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It quite clearly isn't that. Are you saying this because you're hurting that Hillary lost ?

DNC would have walked this election if they had selected almost anyone else but Hillary.
That is very much how it feels, right now.

I'm saying that because America has elected an openly misogynist candidate over a much more qualified female candidate.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think this is the saddest thing for me...(from the beeb)

Climate change
Mr Trump has said he would "cancel" the Paris climate change deal signed by more than 195 countries in December 2015. He has also said he will stop all US payments for United Nations global warming programmes. No individual country can scrap the Paris deal but if the US pulled out of it, or abandoned domestic measures launched by President Barack Obama, it would inflict a significant blow to the pact. Trump has called for more drilling for fossil fuels, fewer regulations and the approval of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada.
I mean what an arsehole. What a complete arsehole. In a nutshell that tells you everything about him and the people that voted for him. Selfish.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Can we not just stop white men from voting?

They're really bad at it.
I know you're joking but I think that a lot of that sort of silliness at US Universities and on social media contributed in no small part to Trump winning.

JPRouve

Scout
Which, in my opinion, is stupid. She may not be as warm & loving as some expect women to be, but that's more of a societal issue. There isn't (or there shouldnt be) an "archetype" of a good wife or mother.
Her husband cheated on her, their whole private life was out in the open for the world to see and ridicule, and yet they've managed to make their marriage work. Raised a successful daughter, and have managed to juggle jobs that most men wouldn't be able to handle.

She's devoted her life to her family & politics, how that paints her in a negative light is beyond me. Yes she's stiff, yes she shouldn't dab, but she's a politician, none of them should. Obama was about as cool as we're going to get, and honestly even as a black guy his rhythm is suspect.
:lol:

I agree but voters aren't exactly pragmatic, they have bastions and stand by them at all costs.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads

You make some fair points but there is a massive school of thought that she capitalised on her husband's infidelities to garner sympathy and to use them as collateral for her own ends. But all that pales into comparison wth her involvement in Libya and the ruminations about the Clinton Foundation, especially using her charity's money to pay for her daughter's wedding.

Enigma_87

You know who
Of course, and I can buy that some may vote for frivolous reasons. But I am skeptical that the majority of the white female voters did so. Or maybe I am overestimating the intellectual levels/care that they had.
Sometimes there's no grand reason behind it really. As others mentioned there could be thousands of reasons why one should vote for the other. Then there's voting for the party regardless of who the candidate is - which IMO is the most probable reason.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Why are they still talking about the white, black, latino etc. vote?? Should it really matter at the end of the day? I must say that Ann Coulter was vile today. I stayed up all night to watch the proceedings and am just as dumb-founded as with the Brexit outcome here in the UK. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face!

After the dust and euphoria has settled, Trump will soon get found out and there will be lot of unhappy yanks. I don't think he spouted any promises that he can actually follow through.

Still no sign of Hillary yet??

ZDwyr

Sometimes there's no grand reason behind it really. As others mentioned there could be thousands of reasons why one should vote for the other. Then there's voting for the party regardless of who the candidate is - which IMO is the most probable reason.
Yeah I accept the loyalty line of thinking, I think that is a fair assessment.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I know you're joking but I think that a lot of that sort of silliness at US Universities and on social media contributed in no small part to Trump winning.
Quite possibly but can you blame us for fearing white men in America are as horrendous as we have just found out they are?

JPRouve

Scout
Democracy :drool:
I vividly remember myself playing in the living room with my construction trucks while my parents were watching the news, when I heard it I freezed and looked at the screen with disbelief. Even for a kid it makes no sense.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I feel a bit more calm. I don't think he himself will end up being that bad.

Where it'll really hurt? The fact that Republicans hold Congress, the Presidency, and a lot of Local government. With that, and the Supreme Court justices who will be appointed, it will not be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.