The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It was indeed a perfect storm. Any other scenario not involving Trump/Brexit sentiment, Comey's intervention, Wikileaks, Putin, and KremlinGate, and Hillary wouldn't won comfortably imo. The events of the two weeks or so before the election clearly nudged Trump across the finish line.
Even then, with all those factors, I've still a sneaking suspicion that it could've played out differently on another day. A million little Ian Malcolmy variables aligned to give Trump the win. If the string theory hypothesis that every decision creates another reality is true, I'd wager Hillary won in most of them. We just annoyingly happen to live in the one Trump did.

I'm very aware I could be projecting in desperation, but I don't see the Dems in anyway near the same crisis state as their Labour equivlanets here. A decent, likeable, oratorically competent candidate in 2020, and they should be right back in the game. The only equivalence is the ideological naivety/apathy of the fringe left in opposing anything politically central. But while we'll likely need a crushing Tory victory to get them back onside, the utter debacle of Trump has surely already got the Sarandon-esque rebels willing to fall back behind the first semi-reasonable Democrat.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The Democratic party is not as broken as the Republican party is.

That is the tragedy. That the presidency was surrendered to a shattered party. The entire nomination process in the Republican party was hillarious. Trump was pushing the envelope as far as he could.
Personally I thought his entire goal was to ensure Bush did not get the nomination. He was really out to ridicule him which he did. In the process he got the others all attacking him which endeared him to the base.

The 'normal' Republican party would never have passed such a bill.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Even then, with all those factors, I've still a sneaking suspicion that it could've played out differently on another day. A million little Ian Malcolmy variables aligned to give Trump the win. If the string theory hypothesis that every decision creates another reality is true, I'd wager Hillary won in most of them. We just annoyingly happen to live in the one Trump did.
You mean the Many World's interpretation of QM ? :)

I'm very aware I could be projecting in desperation, but I don't see the Dems in anyway near the same crisis state as their Labour equivlanets here. A decent, likeable, oratorically competent candidate in 2020, and they should be right back in the game. The only equivalence is the ideological naivety/apathy of the fringe left in opposing anything politically central. But while we'll likely need a crushing Tory victory to get them back onside, the utter debacle of Trump has surely already got the Sarandon-esque rebels willing to fall back behind the first semi-reasonable Democrat.
I don't really follow UK politics that much, but in the US it seems the tide of popular sentiment is moving left at a time when the power structure of how people get elected (funding by wealthy donors) is moving right. So something has to give at some point.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Probably because he's a complete charlatan masquerading as a caring policy maker.
Far from impossible. Especially when he can talk shit about Obamacares way in and then go and smile as he takes health-care away from so many people.
He just seems so smug, and unless I'm wrong he went from rags to riches, and his actions looks to be preventing others to have the same chance.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

I'm very aware I could be projecting in desperation, but I don't see the Dems in anyway near the same crisis state as their Labour equivlanets here
. A decent, likeable, oratorically competent candidate in 2020, and they should be right back in the game. The only equivalence is the ideological naivety/apathy of the fringe left in opposing anything politically central. But while we'll likely need a crushing Tory victory to get them back onside, the utter debacle of Trump has surely already got the Sarandon-esque rebels willing to fall back behind the first semi-reasonable Democrat.
No, I completely agree with you there. They have some work to do, but winning in 2018 and 2020 are realistic targets. Whereas Labour could've split in half by then.

Red Dreams

Far from impossible. Especially when he can talk shit about Obamacares way in and then go and smile as he takes health-care away from so many people.
He just seems so smug, and unless I'm wrong he went from rags to riches, and his actions looks to be preventing others to have the same chance.
Ryan comes from a priviledged background.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ryan comes from a priviledged background.
He's viewed as a more policy oriented, pseudo intellectual conservative who is more in the Jack Kemp policy wonkish camp. In reality, he's just one of many GOPers who is trapped within his own ideology that the Government is bad and private industry / "the free market" always has the solutions.

RedTiger

Half mast
He was born into wealth that his grandmother and father created. The only interactions he has with working class is when he shafts small businesses on invoices.

Red Dreams

He's viewed as a more policy oriented, pseudo intellectual conservative who is more in the Jack Kemp policy wonkish camp. In reality, he's just one of many GOPers who is trapped within his own ideology that the Government is bad and private industry "the free market" always has the solutions.
I agree. But he has realised there is money to be made.

Most of these "free market" politicians are corrupt to the core. Make money while they can. Leave the crap to be cleaned up by others.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
He was born into wealth that his grandmother and father created. The only interactions he has with working class is when he shafts small businesses on invoices.
Hm... Must remember wrong then. Was there another high-profile republican who went from rags to riches that was prolific in any way during the election?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Can't find a result that's gender specific, but white voters under 30 went Trump 47-43, compared to white voters in general going 57-37.
At least in the Dem primary, gender for the 18-29 wasn't a very strong divide (race was stronger, but overall it was all down to age).
I'm assuming based off nothing that the same held true in the general. (Not the race bit, though Trump outperformed McCain and Romney with blacks and hispanics.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it was more race specific than specific to a certain age range. Trump just outperformed Hillary among whites.

GiddyUp

It was indeed a perfect storm. Any other scenario not involving Trump/Brexit sentiment, Comey's intervention, Wikileaks, Putin, and KremlinGate, and Hillary wouldn't won comfortably imo. The events of the two weeks or so before the election clearly nudged Trump across the finish line.
Don't forget the media orgasm. They gave an empty podium waiting for trump at a rally more air time than Hillary talking policy at her rallies.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

Kennedy is your answer. He will run, he will win

ghagua

I don't really see any way forward without a single payer universal healthcare system. Now that the public have access to a crude version of it, they will simply demand more until its simplified into a single payer format.
I would love that, but I am afraid it's a long, long way off. That is the easiest way to resolve this sham with the healthcare system in this country. People saying these changes will not affect them for now are in for a very, very rude surprise.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wonder what happened to Conway. Guess she spontaneously disintegrated to dust after God decided he had one too many alternate facts.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Didn't know Trump will meet with Pope Francis later in may. It's gonna be so awkward.
"... you see, Mr. Pope (good friend of mine, a lot of people don't know that), they said it was impossible for a Republican to win. Here, have an Electoral College map. No really, I have more in the car. Now where's that great guy Pavorotti at, you seen him around Frank?"

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
"... you see, Mr. Pope (good friend of mine, a lot of people don't know that), they said it was impossible for a Republican to win. Here, have an Electoral College map. No really, I have more in the car. Now where's that great guy Pavorotti at, you seen him around Frank?"
:lol::lol::lol: I guess Pope Francis will be so embarassed. Can't wait to see his face :lol:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Hey Popey, how's the wife n' kids?"

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wonder what happened to Conway. Guess she spontaneously disintegrated to dust after God decided he had one too many alternate facts.
She became a massive hindrance and was asked to curtail her TV appearances apparently. I think she still appears on Fox and Friends and other "safe" shows from time to time.

Ubik

2020 primaries - Chelsea Clinton vs Michelle Obama vs Joe Kennedy. Ivanka Trump vs Jeb! Bush (part 2). You all know you want it. Dynasty war!

GiddyUp

SNL taking the piss out of Morning Joe

Kate McKinnon is a fecking genius, she has Mika down. I wonder if MSNBC will make a change. I can't really see a husband and wife team being taken seriously in such an important slot. Would love to see Joy Reid given a shot, she already lives in that studio.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Kate McKinnon is a fecking genius, she has Mika down. I wonder if MSNBC will make a change. I can't really see a husband and wife team being taken seriously in such an important slot. Would love to see Joy Reid given a shot, she already lives in that studio.
Yeah she's incredible. Had Mika's sucked in face gestures, continues interrupting, and starbucks drinks down perfectly. They both really captured the weird energy between the two for what is pretty much the worst kept secret in the industry.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The Dems should write Trump and the GOP a thank you letter for what they are doing with health-care.

The ACA was never a long-term solution, because it is not really sustainable. Even the people who wrote the law already acknowledged this. So sooner or later another reform was necessary anyway. The current GOP health-care reform is keeping key aspects in place (e.g. community rating) while skewing it in favor of high income earner. It also makes the health-care system even less sustainable. Yet everything they change could be easily reversed once the Dems get in power. The GOP talked about nothing but the repeal of the ACA for almost 8 years, but they only changed secondary issues. They don’t actually change the course of the system. So despite not actually saying it, they accepted the core principles of the ACA and there is no way of ever going back on that.

The ACA had beneficiaries, while hiding all the costs. This reform has almost no beneficiaries, while the costs will be very visible. Additionally, any future problem can now be pinned on the GOP. This legislation is going to motivate democratic voters and alienate GOP voters in the next two elections. The Dems will end up with a clear mandate to expand healthcare and push for a universal system.

In the short run this reform creates pain for some people, but that’s far less than what one might have expected; after all the GOP talked about nothing but “repeal and replace” for 8 years. The media is going way over the top, because they sensationalize an issue that most of their journalists don’t understand. In the mid/long run, it’s going to be the seed for some form of universal coverage.

The GOP is disqualifying itself as serious party with all of these shenanigans. Hopefully the Dems take full advantage of the situation.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Wow!

Been away from the net for a day or so and come back to 4 pages to read and like usual I wondered what had happened and what had I missed? What I came back to was a massive surprise, nothing has happened much at all, but the pages were filled with some thoroughly decent, intelligent and articulate chat, a few jokes and even better that it was mainly all extremely positive stuff being discussed too. If all that wasn't enough it even had Billy Blaggs posting sensibly and pictures of Donald Trump's chin being turned in to a frog! I mean what is there not to like? :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
2020 primaries - Chelsea Clinton vs Michelle Obama vs Joe Kennedy. Ivanka Trump vs Jeb! Bush (part 2). You all know you want it. Dynasty war!
Bourgeois politics becoming hereditary monarchy - even Marx wouldn't have thought the rot was this deep.

Ubik

She's actually the weak link for an attack ad - she did some suspicious stuff when running a failed college.
So, definitely not :D
Larry is actually going for a seat where the Greens did okay in 2012 over here, actually quite interested to see if he has a boost compared the Greens nationally!

Cal?

CR7 fan
:lol: Chelsea is even worse at public speaking than Hillary. Maybe she'll go for it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.