The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fener1907

Apologies if this has been posted already. Good stuff!

Does that family train them from a very early age or something? After listening to Trump slur his words and ramble on about a plethora of bullshit so many times, it's refreshing to see a speech that is concise and to the point.

As for him being a potential candidate, he's pretty young, isn't he. Not that I wouldn't take any candidate who can cut through the bullshit and bring some semblance of normality back to America.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Yeah Gavin is the real deal. Reminds me a bit of Bill Clinton circa 1992. He needs to seal the deal and get his Gov election taken care of then start the ball rolling immediately for 2020.

He seems a genuine guy.
Talks from his heart.

So long as he remembers the millions who have been left behind for far too long and fights for them, he will find his voice.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah Gavin is the real deal. Reminds me a bit of Bill Clinton circa 1992. He needs to seal the deal and get his Gov election taken care of then start the ball rolling immediately for 2020.

He's very good, got a natural confidence to him. Reminds me of McConaughey's in True Detective though. Maher is starting to remind me of a Blob Fish.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I have had the same conversations many times too, it's just now I can actually speak from experience of the NHS literally saving my life. I've had a few comments from some American friends who really don't believe I haven't paid a penny, or then accuse me of going private, but most I have told just get quite bewildered by it followed by a moment of silence before changing the subject quickly :lol:

I'm glad you and your family wont be affected badly, but it really does suck that you are literally one event from losing everything. As above really, I know how quickly and completely unexpectedly something can happen and to think the system of a supposed civilised country, and one that prides itself and tries to tell the world how it is the best, can literally be so cruel to its citizens and how it can punish even the most honest and hard working of them. Good luck with the insurance, and I hope you never ever need it. $1m sounds an awful lot, but again, from experience it really isn't at all when talking in healthcare costs.
Mortgage, healthcare bills and loss of potentially two jobs. Nowhere near enough!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He seems a genuine guy.
Talks from his heart.

So long as he remembers the millions who have been left behind for far too long and fights for them, he will find his voice.
He's knowledgeable and speaks extemporaneously and tends to drown people in facts and details - sort like Bill Clinton used to do in the early 90s. If you asked me 8 years ago, I would've said Gavin is far too young and a bit too far to the left to win (despite Obama's success that year). Now the country has gone signficantly more to the left (healthcare/LGBT/medical weed etc), so I think Gavin is the guy who can galvanize all the sentiment into one candidacy by uniting the Bernie/Liz and Hillary factions into one cohesive voter base.

Red Dreams

He's knowledgeable and speaks extemporaneously and tends to drown people in facts and details - sort like Bill Clinton used to do in the early 90s. If you asked me 8 years ago, I would've said Gavin is far too young and a bit too far to the left to win (despite Obama's success that year). Now the country has gone signficantly more to the left (healthcare/LGBT/medical weed etc), so I think Gavin is the guy who can galvanize all the sentiment into one candidacy by uniting the Bernie/Liz and Hillary factions into one cohesive voter base.
Yes. The country is moving left and Trump is helping it move further left with his comedy shows.
Gavin or Joe Jennedy III as someone mentioned above will unite the Democrats and Independents.

2018 will be big indication of where the country is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes. The country is moving left and Trump is helping it move further left with his comedy shows.
Gavin or Joe Jennedy III as someone mentioned above will unite the Democrats and Independents.

2018 will be big indication of where the country is.
Yep, agreed. I think we are going to see a massive wave of younger millenial candidates get involved and run for Congress as the ageing baby boomers get run out of Congress. Definitely good for the Dems

Carolina Red

Staff
How about a Newsome & Kennedy ticket in 2020?

Former governor (if 2018 goes right) and former congressman

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How about a Newsome & Kennedy ticket in 2020?

Former governor (if 2018 goes right) and former congressman
Two younger candidates would do well agains Drumpf imo. He will be 74 in 2020 and if he hasn't been impeached yet, you can bet the entire country, including half the independents who voted for him last year, will have serious Trump fatigue and will be mobilized to get rid of him.

Red Dreams

Two younger candidates would do well agains Drumpf imo. He will be 74 in 2020 and if he hasn't been impeached yet, you can bet the entire country, including half the independents who voted for him last year, will have serious Trump fatigue and will be mobilized to get rid of him.
I honestly think Trump wont even seek the nomination....he would have lined his pockets full...and may be in Turkey or Moscow by 2020.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Good speech, but its cringe worthy seeing people calling for him to run for president in 2020 because of this speech.
A charismatic leader counts for a lot more than it should. A strong leader with a weak policy is always more likely to win than a weak leader with a strong one. It's sad, but has always been the case. And something the Corbynista side of the Labour Party have stubbornly refused to acknowledge, to their peril.

Hillary was hugely unpopular. With even a marginally less divisive candidate, the Dems would've likely won comfortably.

The only problem with Lil' Ken is he's cut from a similar dynastic cloth. But at this point, any kind of youthful populist injection is a welcome one.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
A charismatic leader counts for a lot more than it should. A strong leader with a weak policy is always more likely to win than a weak leader with a strong one. It's sad, but has always been the case. And something the Corbynista side of the Labour Party have stubbornly refused to acknowledge, to their peril.

Hillary was hugely unpopular. With even a marginally less divisive candidate, the Dems would've likely won comfortably.

The only problem with Lil' Ken is he's cut from a similar dynastic cloth. But at this point, any kind of youthful populist injection is a welcome one.
That dinasty is largely associated with good 'ol America though, the one were things still went forward. Also, none of them have appeared on the national level for almost 3 decades. It helps he looks more like JFK than his actual grandson does.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't really see any other prominent Dem candidates around right now. I'd imagine Booker might give it a go. Gavin/Booker would make a formidable 1-2 punch.

Mockney

That dinasty is largely associated with good 'ol America though, the one were things still went forward. Also, none of them have appeared on the national level for almost 3 decades. It helps he looks more like JFK than his actual grandson does.
And that he has a similar oratory cadence to his grandad...with a bit of Obama thrown in.

Though tbh, if I was in that family, the very last thing I'd do is go into politics. it only seems to end tragically. I'd be the black sheep reprobate Kennedy who had a short and unsuccessful musical career but took a lot of good drugs and shagged my way around the northern hemisphere.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And that he has a similar oratory cadence to his grandad...with a bit of Obama thrown in.

Though tbh, if I was in that family, the very last thing I'd do is go into politics. it only seems to end tragically. I'd be the black sheep reprobate Kennedy who had a short and unsuccessful musical career but took a lot of good drugs and shagged my way around the northern hemisphere.
Why would you limit yourself to the northern hemisphere? As for his oration, I actually thought it came across as very nervous, as if his voice was about to break at any moment but he somehow kept himself on the cusp of it and never quite lost it which I guess made it a little more emotional.

Carolina Red

Staff
Why would you limit yourself to the northern hemisphere? As for his oration, I actually thought it came across as very nervous, as if his voice was about to break at any moment but he somehow kept himself on the cusp of it and never quite lost it which I guess made it a little more emotional.
I wish he still had the old Kennedy Trans-Atlantic accent

Mockney

Interesting, I thought he came across well. But then I am judging him largely against our rubbish homegrown politicians. I once read a very good article (that I've since lost all evidence of) that argued the difference in American and British oratorism was all down to our differing religious pulpit cultures. And that the Obamas, Clintons and Kennedys all came from a tradition of charismatic evangelical preaching, whilst ours were the product of bland provincial vicars, or Rowan Atkinson sketches about bumbling clerics. It definitely stands up when you think about it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Interesting, I thought he came across well. But then I am judging him largely against our rubbish homegrown politicians. I once read a very good article (that I've since lost all evidence of) that argued the difference in American and British oratorism was all down to our differing religious pulpit cultures. And that the Obamas, Clintons and Kennedys all came from a tradition of charismatic evangelical preaching, whilst ours were the product of bland provincial vicars, or Rowan Atkinson sketches about bumbling clerics. It definitely stands up when you think about it.
On the other hand, stick any of those Americans in a high-intensity Westminster back-and-forth and watch them crumble on the spot.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm now bizarrely interested in knowing who Tony Blair's local priest was.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah, the Kennedy's are very highly regarded and I could actually see there being a decent number of current older Trump voters who went for JFK back in their youthful 60s.

Plus, it's kind of hard to attack for Trump. I mean...granted, he did get away with insulting a disabled guy and the family of a dead soldier...but if he starts attacking the Kennedy family then I think a lot of people will really sour on him. Hopefully.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Think anyone except Tulsi Gabbard would be good at this point.

Mockney

On the other hand, stick any of those Americans in a high-intensity Westminster back-and-forth and watch them crumble on the spot.
I dunno, Westminster's always struck me as little more than a big public school debate forum. Any kind of lame zinger and your 'home' bench will "ooooh" and "aaaahhh" like a gaggle of wet pubescents at a disappointing playground fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.