The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolina Red

Staff
So the GOP passed a bill without reading it to repeal Obamacare and Trump has allowed preachers the right to tell you who to vote for from the pulpit. What a day

Edit: just heard a conservative talk show host in the radio go on and on for the last 20 mins about how there must be a way to mandate that people pay their fair share and have healthcare coverage at the same time... that he's not smart enough to figure it out, but someone in this country must be. I tried calling in but didn't get on before the show ended. He wouldn't of liked who I suggested lol

Nogbadthebad

Just 2 votes away from the bill failing :mad:
It wasn't.

They had the numbers, what they did was allow those most vulnerable in 2018 to vote against it to protect them from the fallout. Just enough voted for to pass it.

That tells you that this is no accident, they know exactly what this bill does, and what the effect will be.

You can call them murderers quite happily, because that is what they are.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are we saying immigration is not a problem?
I mean we hear the nationalists moaning about it but in what way is actually bad? Seems they provide a net benefit to the economy and the security issues were well overblown as shown by the recent figures.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Being raped is now a pre existing condition?
You've got to love the GOP bible thumping Christians.

surf

I mean we hear the nationalists moaning about it but in what way is actually bad? Seems they provide a net benefit to the economy and the security issues were well overblown as shown by the recent figures.
Overpopulation? I live in a county where about 25% of the population are immigrants (i.e. not born in the USA) and about 10% of the population are illegal immigrants. At the same time there is a severe shortage of housing and a lot of homeless people. The two are connected.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This whole situation just has me feeling so weird. Falling over themselves to vote for something that they haven't even read (or costed, deliberately so).
It's not only abhorrent for what'll presumably happen as a result of it but really, really amateurish when you come to think on it.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Overpopulation? I live in a county where about 25% of the population are immigrants (i.e. not born in the USA) and about 10% of the population are illegal immigrants. At the same time there is a severe shortage of housing and a lot of homeless people. The two are connected.
Surely you mean that poverty, substance abuse and mental health are connected to homelessness and not housing shortages? That's certainly the case in the rest of the first World countries.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The problem is that you pay them cash in hand and let them work off the books. If they couldn't work, they wouldn't come.

The issue is with the American people and their attitude to cheap, unskilled, uninsured workers. Not the immigration laws, because you already have the strictest in the ENTIRE WORLD.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So the bill no one read will get dumped, re-written completely, kicked back to the House in a mutated form, and we're back to hoping it's not evil enough for the Freedom Caucus to sign off on. Basically right back to where we were a few weeks ago, except more precipitous.

Because if they do sign off on the Senate version, it's going into law.

Carolina Red

Staff
The GOP... what can ya say?
But the story is likely to be similar to that under the original bill, said Gordon Mermin, senior research associate at the Tax Policy Center. That is, the wealthy are likely to see tax savings, while the lowest income households are likely to see benefit cuts.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
He's been doing his own MAGA since Bernardi's defection. The new immigration proposals are pure red meat for the bogans.
Images of the (relatively) moderate Turnbull regurgitate Trumpisms like 'fake news' and 'elites' in a vain attempt to coddle the right wing nuts in his party while his soul slowly dies behind his eyes have taken up valuable real estate in my wank bank.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So the bill no one read will get dumped, re-written completely, kicked back to the House in a mutated form, and we're back to hoping it's not evil enough for the Freedom Caucus to sign off on. Basically right back to where we were a few weeks ago, except more precipitous.

Because if they do sign off on the Senate version, it's going into law.
Hit those Trump voters where it hurts. I hope Michigan, Winsconsin have their healthcare cost get to unaffordable levels for ruining the world.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
:lol:

I can't wait to see how his fellow Republicans take his healthcare comments. Trump just said it to butter up the Aussie PM though, he doesn't have a clue what system Australia has, nor does he understand or care what is in his bill, he just wants to seem like he's doing something and then take the credit for it. If everyone kicks off about it, I bet he will distance himself from it, he's a spineless piece of shit. It's also extremely ironic he praises a countries UHC system after he just tried to push through one of the most destructive and evil right wing plans ever, basically the complete opposite of UHC, although with Trump would you really expect anything else?

Cal?

CR7 fan
:lol:

I can't wait to see how his fellow Republicans take his healthcare comments. Trump just said it to butter up the Aussie PM though, he doesn't have a clue what system Australia has, nor does he understand or care what is in his bill, he just wants to seem like he's doing something and then take the credit for it. If everyone kicks off about it, I bet he will distance himself from it, he's a spineless piece of shit. It's also extremely ironic he praises a countries UHC system after he just tried to push through one of the most destructive and evil right wing plans ever, basically the complete opposite of UHC, although with Trump would you really expect anything else?
I hope the media keeps calling it Trumpcare. Let it be his signature legislation whilst people die on the streets.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
There's a cartoon I saw briefly on Facebook one day that illustrates one side of what I think is going on here... it's a dog world, and one dog candidate comes in saying all bones should be banned, openly admitting he's taking a crazy position solely in order to seem more radical than his counterparts. However, the moderate dogs get worried that his shtick will actually work and it ends up with the legislation banning bones being voted through and one says, "Well I guess this is the new way it is now". Or something.

It doesn't explain nutjobs like Bachmann, but I'd say it fits the bill for a good number of the tea partiers and freedom caucus.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
They aren't really any closer to passing Trumpcare than they were before. The bill will get completely stripped of its relevant parts in the Senate, who will then send it back to the House unrecognizable to what was passed today.
Let's hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.