The Unofficial Cricket Forum thread

arnie sidebottom

Giles gone after a brief England rally. 389-7 - will struggle now to make 400 as Stewart won't hold out to Adams much longer.

Still, it's a 'result' pitch so this one should go all the way. Hopefully we'll get Smith out for under 900.

Come on England !! :keano: :keano:

arnie sidebottom

2 in 2 balls for Kirtley this morning.

Smith's been moaning about the pitch. That's good..will put further doubts in the minds of SA batsmen. A lead of 150 would be handy.

arnie sidebottom

Daryl Hair is the worst umpire in World cricket.

Why do they select this umpire Darryl Hair?
Whose decisions are never really quite fair.
Our skipper the rules should beg, steal or borrow
And give to Darryl, to lessen his chagrin and sorrow.
The result should surely be: Hair today, gone tomorrow

He's a feckin' joke :mad:

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
SA 131 all out........

and with SA without Shaun Pollock for the final test England could well go on and win the series afterall. :D

Snoeker

Rams said:
SA 131 all out........

and with SA without Shaun Pollock for the final test England could well go on and win the series afterall. :D
He should be back for the last test. 5 test series.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Experimental one-day rules to be tried out in Australia

Taking a cue from their counterparts in England, ECB, which experimented with the Twenty20Cup to revitalise the domestic competition this season, Cricket Australia has decided to introduce a series of innovative one-day formats on a trial basis in the annual eight-team State Institute Challenge to be held in Queensland from Saturday.

The series, which features state and territory institute or academy teams, will also include a national Indigenous XI for the first time this year as part of Cricket Australia’s High Performance Indigenous cricket programme.

Match formats for the 2003 State Institute Challenge include 20-over matches with 11 players on each side and games featuring two 25-over innings, 40-over matches and 50-over matches.

New innovations include a “free hit” for batsman on the next ball they face if a bowler is no-balled for over-stepping, while bowlers will gain an additional over to their maximum allocation for every two wickets they take.

A new fielding rule will also be tried out whereby the ball is immediately declared “dead” if it hits the stumps during a run-out attempt.

At least one of the 50-over matches will also experiment with bowlers starting the match with a new ball at each end.

Staged in Mackay, Townsville and Cairns over eight days, the tournament will showcase various limited-overs match formats and experimental one-day playing conditions.

The move to play the series in far-north Queensland follows the successful staging of last year’s State Institute Challenge in Darwin, and reaffirms Cricket Australia’s broader commitment to take the game to new areas after the recent Australia-Bangladesh series in the Top End.

Former Test fast bowler Paul Reiffel, a member of Cricket Australia’s project umpire panel, will again officiate in several of the matches after participating in the 2002 series in Darwin.

The eight state and territory teams competing in the State Institute Challenge are: Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Indigenous XI, New South Wales Institute of Sport (NSWIS), Northern Territory Institute of Sport (NTIS), Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS), South Australia (SA), Tasmania Institute of Sport (TIS) and Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS).

Rams

so first morning of the 4th test at Headingly.

SA win the toss aand elect to bat... and this is Headingly ...... shit you think.

however, SA 10 for 2, Smith & Gibbs out :D

Nice Headingly pitch :D

Rams

71-4, SA recovering slighty. come on engurrrrland, get a couple of quick wickets after lunch :mad:

arnie sidebottom

Well played South Africa especially Kallis and Kirsten. It has to be said that the best team is winning this series. Thank God we won the toss in the last test (whoever won the toss won the game in that match), it gives us something to hang on to for the final one !

Brings me back to the subject of this thread. Should Vaughan be captain ?

Personally I'd have gone for Butcher for the Tests (Atherton's choice) not because he would have done a better job than Vaughan but because I am convinced captaincy distractions are costing England the vital runs and (time in the middle) of Vaughan.

Nobody other than Vaughan seems to have the technique to bat long periods other than on a featherbed wicket. The bowling hasn't always been up to the mark but is generally inexperienced and needs more time and (runs on the board) to be truly effective at this level.

Over to you Snoeker. Vijay - what are you grinning at ? ;)

Snoeker

arnie sidebottom said:
Over to you Snoeker. Vijay - what are you grinning at ? ;)
Finally someone who agrees that the last test hinged on the toss. Old man Gazza showed that he is still the master at grinding out runs whatever the situation, the TMS commentator on Sat Aft (neil manthorp) said that kirsten said "I've got about 6000 test runs. Imagine how many I'd have if I could time it."

I have been impressed with Butcher this series. And it does seem as though Vaughan is cracking under the pressure. If he stays on, I bet he'll do a lot better in away series where the media glare's a bit less. Flintoff has been pretty good, however he seems to produce a lot of his runs in "dead" situations eg. today and the 4th innings at Lord's. Then again, his team haven't really given him a decent platform, have they?

Will you lot be playing 5 seamers again at the Oval? Could get nasty...

I think our team will be:
Smith
Gibbs
Kallis
Rudolph
Mckenzie
Boucher
Pollock
Hall
Adams
Ntini
Pretorius/ Zondeki

WTF was Stewie upset about? e nicked it.

arnie sidebottom

Atherton's point about Butcher being captain was that, of all the available candidates, he was the one who had come into the team, gone out after a bad patch and then returned. i.e. Butch has gone through the 'character forming' aspects of the game and come back a better player; all valuable experience for a captain. I'm certainly happy with him as our No 3.

Atherton and Jon Agnew both felt that England's new captain would have been better off starting away from the media glare (as you say) and Hussain's actions in hindsight seem selfish, but probably a fair reflection on the destructive nature of the English media. We're up against a better team, plain and simple. Hussain as captain, had one bad day, as many of the batsmen and bowlers did. Whatever the rseults, I don't think Hussain would have been under any pressure to step down, until perhaps the series was decided.

Although Hussain seems a better player for having shaken off the captaincy, it's been to the detriment of Vaughan (IMO) and England are net worse off as a result.

Point taken about Flintoff; he seems to do well when there's nothing to lose. He seems to be the current talisman (successor to Goughy), but worth keeping on for his tight bowling and crowd appeal. English cricket fans can only hope that he makes that step up batting-wise soon.

As for the Oval, traditionally England play at least one twirler as the pitch normally takes spin as the games wears on. Could be a return for Giles, as off the top of my head, I can't think of another England spinner on form who would challenge his position without weakening the batting.

Jimmy Anderson needs to bowl himself back into a bit of form at county level, and if Harmison is fit I'd play him & Giles for Anderson / Kabir Ali

My 10 definites

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Stewart
Flintoff
Giles
Bicknell
Harmison
Kirtley

Smith (if there's really nobody any better) or an extra bowler (Anderson / Ali) depending on the pitch prognosis.

Still...2-1 and a series to save. C'mon England !

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Actually the toss whilst it made some difference, did not account for England's piss poor pathetic effort. I watched this test match and frankly we were crap - we could have won the toss and we'd still probably have lost. Can you see England coming from 27 for 4 to post a 300 plus total? I can't.

And re the Championship - Arnold, feck off ;)

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
arnie sidebottom said:
Jimmy Anderson needs to bowl himself back into a bit of form at county level, and if Harmison is fit I'd play him & Giles for Anderson / Kabir Ali

My 10 definites

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Stewart
Flintoff
Giles
Bicknell
Harmison
Kirtley

Smith (if there's really nobody any better) or an extra bowler (Anderson / Ali) depending on the pitch prognosis.

Still...2-1 and a series to save. C'mon England !
with no Kirtley or Bicknell this time round you'd really be willing to leave out Anderson and Kabir Ali? the thing about Jimmy is he can still take a wicket or two even when playing badly and that's what we need...there's no way he'll be left out.

i have my suspicions about Ed Smith...ok a good 64 in his debut but nothing since and the fact he didn't come into the stumps from sqaure leg when we had chances to run players out shows a lack of commitment to me.