The USA Thread

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Have you?
Let me tell ye a story ol boy, come gather round. Once upon a time, Florida Man was a devout Christian who’s spent his Sundays at Baptist, Catholic, and Methodist churches when he was growing up in the Florida panhandle, which is redneck riviera as far you’re concerned. Florida Man has also been to church in Georgia and has seen programs of other churches from elsewhere in the South. The Methodist Church, the most chilled out one of the group, tried to convince Florida Man that evolution wasn’t real by showing him a picture of a beetle. The end.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Let me tell ye a story ol boy, come gather round. Once upon a time, Florida Man was a devout Christian who’s spent his Sundays at Baptist, Catholic, and Methodist churches when he was growing up in the Florida panhandle, which is redneck riviera as far you’re concerned. Florida Man has also been to church in Georgia and has seen programs of other churches from elsewhere in the South. The Methodist Church, the most chilled out one of the group, tried to convince Florida Man that evolution wasn’t real by showing him a picture of a beetle. The end.
Now this is a story all about how
Florida Man's life got flipped turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, just let me say
I'll tell you how he became the prince of a place called RedCafé

In the Florida panhandle, born and raised
In the churches is where he spent most of his days
Chilling out, praying, judging all cool
And all handing out some bibles outside of the school
When a couple of methodists thought evolution was no good
Started making trouble in the neighborhood
He got in one little debate, and his mom got scared
And said "You're moving with Raoul and Eboue in RedCafé"

Someone else can finish my masterpiece, I have to go back to work.

Carolina Red

Staff
Now this is a story all about how
Florida Man's life got flipped turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, just let me say
I'll tell you how he became the prince of a place called RedCafé

In the Florida panhandle, born and raised
In the churches is where he spent most of his days
Chilling out, praying, judging all cool
And all handing out some bibles outside of the school
When a couple of methodists thought evolution was no good
Started making trouble in the neighborhood
He got in one little debate, and his mom got scared
And said "You're moving with Raoul and Eboue in RedCafé"

Someone else can finish my masterpiece, I have to go back to work.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
So you lost your faith.
Not relevant to our discussion.

Dr. King spoke from the pulpit.
If he were alive today, he would embrace Bernie Sanders policies.
Nina Turner invokes Dr. King when she speaks so passionately about Berand Sanders as she calls him.

Bernie has already reached out to preachers, local politicians and community workers in SC and they were impressed with what he had to say.

Red Dreams

The heart of Christian teaching is Love and Mercy.
If the political message blends in with those core teachings, there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Unfortunately other agendas creep in. I ignore the bleating on about Abortion and Anti gay stuff.
It can be worse as FM pointed about about teaching crazy science in other churches.

That does not mean I don't go to church.

Florida Man

The heart of Christian teaching is Love and Mercy.
If the political message blends in with those core teachings, there is absolutely nothing wrong.

Unfortunately other agendas creep in. I ignore the bleating on about Abortion and Anti gay stuff.
It can be worse as FM pointed about about teaching crazy science in other churches.

That does not mean I don't go to church.
:lol:

Red Dreams

Was Fred Phelps wrong about using the pulpit?
Ridiculous response.

Throw out the baby with the bath water.

You know Dr. King was right in what he did.
He changed the course of history in this country.

Yes. Enslavement and murders have been committed in the name of religion.
That is not the fault of the faith in itself.

In as far as the Democratic primaries are concerned, The Southern Black vote is needed to ensure the nominee gets the delegates.
The Bidens of the party wont do anything for those people.

That is what this discussion is about.

Carolina Red

Staff
Ridiculous response.

Throw out the baby with the bath water.

You know Dr. King was right in what he did.
He changed the course of history in this country.

Yes. Enslavement and murders have been committed in the name of religion.
That is not the fault of the faith in itself.

In as far as the Democratic primaries are concerned, The Southern Black vote is needed to ensure the nominee gets the delegates.
The Bidens of the party wont do anything for those people.

That is what this discussion is about.
You offered an appeal to emotion. So did I. If you think it was ridiculous, then good. I’ve made my point.

I don’t know what’s so hard for you to understand when I say no preacher should preach any politics from the pulpit.

Red Dreams

You offered an appeal to emotion. So did I. If you think it was ridiculous, then good. I’ve made my point.

I don’t know what’s so hard for you to understand when I say no preacher should preach any politics from the pulpit.
You missed the point.

Its a fact that the pulpit has been used for doing so much good.
It is also a fact that the pulpit has been used for spreading hate.
We know the history.

Lets leave at that eh?

Florida Man

You missed the point.

Its a fact that the pulpit has been used for doing so much good.
It is also a fact that the pulpit has been used for spreading hate.
We know the history.

Lets leave at that eh?
Separation of church and state exists for a reason.

Florida Man

Thanks for answering my question.

Do give it a try.
Quit your bullshit moving goalposts because you’re getting called out for advocating religion to get more involved in politics. What the feck does me reading the Bible have to do with shit? What the feck do you know about my belief system? You act like your religious beliefs are universally agreed upon and you don’t even realize how many goddamn denominations of Christianity exist in this country, let alone the world. Like how is it that a “progressive” has to have it explained a him a simple concept of why involving religion into politics is a bad idea? You like to invoke MLK. Congratulations. One example. Now explain the thousands of other examples since the dawn of time to today of where it goes wrong.

MTF

It's like that old Simpsons caption of Bart writing something 100 times or however many: keep religion out of government.

Red Dreams

Quit your bullshit moving goalposts because you’re getting called out for advocating religion to get more involved in politics. What the feck does me reading the Bible have to do with shit? What the feck do you know about my belief system? You act like your religious beliefs are universally agreed upon and you don’t even realize how many goddamn denominations of Christianity exist in this country, let alone the world. Like how is it that a “progressive” has to have it explained a him a simple concept of why involving religion into politics is a bad idea? You like to invoke MLK. Congratulations. One example. Now explain the thousands of other examples since the dawn of time to today of where it goes wrong.

Dr. King using the pulpit to use the scriptures to advance civil rights is a fact. All I was saying is it can be done again for the right reasons.
CR's point about having been used for the wrong reasons is valid.

To say religion has been used to commit terrible acts is fact.
To blame the scriptures without having even read or understood what it says and worse, equating what people do or have done, to the scriptures itself is an infantile argument.