The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I prefer the incredible immune system theory personally!

Obviously this is anecdotal and not worth much but neither of my parents had any response to either of their vaccines whilst both me and one of my brothers had a really strong response to it. My parents are late 60s, both with type 2 diabetes and are overweight whilst I don't think me or my brother have missed a single day of work through illness in about 20 years combined, it seems the wrong way round to me!
Those two theories aren’t actually contradictory! The younger patients who do worst with covid typically do so because of an exaggerated immune response that ends up turning against them.

Classical Mechanic

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Getting my first dose tomorrow. The two anti-vaxers I work with are convinced I'm gonna be sterile, blind and/or dead within two years.

I'm close to making a complaint about them just for the needless thoughts they put in my head. Pair of rancid cockwarts.
You should. That is bullying, insane and entirely unfair on you.

I’ve heard a few different docs speculate that response to the vaccine is a good proxy for how sick you’d get from covid. So anyone who gets flattened after their vaccine would likely end up in hospital from the virus. Conversely, if you barely notice the vaccine you’d have barely noticed covid. So you can savour those symptoms in the knowledge they’ve helped you dodge a bullet!
I theorised that in this thread ages ago :) .

I also wonder and hope if having a reaction to the vaccine means its working and you're not one of the unlucky few who develop no antibodies or anything else in response to it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I theorised that in this thread ages ago :) .

I also wonder and hope if having a reaction to the vaccine means its working and you're not one of the unlucky few who develop no antibodies or anything else in response to it.
You definitely don’t need a significant reaction for the vaccine to be effective. In the clinical trials the majority of subjects had only very minor/mild reaction and the results wouldn’t have been as good as they were if the vaccine wasn’t protecting people who didn’t get side effects.

Having said that, it’s likely that the tiny minority in whom it didn’t work at all probably did have no reaction.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Sleep/rest is the cure.
My wife and I had Moderna and 2nd jab was no joke. Shaking, shivering, extreme tiredness, headaches, unsteady on my feet etc. By day 3 we were nearly back to full health.
For me, I started feeling like shit 12 hours after the jab, but it was gone after another 24 hours.

Still, won't be fun if we end up having to have annual boosters.

Abizzz

My 2nd moderna shot was moved forwards to tomorrow (8th of August was the original date). This thread isn't filling me with confidence and due to the change I now have stuff scheduled for the following days :/. Hoping for the best though. (Was considering sticking to the original date but who knows what might change till then...)

You definitely don’t need a significant reaction for the vaccine to be effective. In the clinical trials the majority of subjects had only very minor/mild reaction and the results wouldn’t have been as good as they were if the vaccine wasn’t protecting people who didn’t get side effects.

Having said that, it’s likely that the tiny minority in whom it didn’t work at all probably did have no reaction.
Oh yes i read that plenty of people have no reaction and it still works. More wondering if having a reaction is a positive affirmation that it worked. I doubt that's been published anywhere.

Blood Mage

The Pfizer jab is the one to get. I got no side effects from either jab other than a slightly sore arm. And from what I hear it's just as effective as Moderna.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
The Pfizer jab is the one to get. I got no side effects from either jab other than a slightly sore arm. And from what I hear it's just as effective as Moderna.
Had nothing at all from my second AZ one either - I guess that one will be phased out in the future maybe.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I've had my first jab of the Pfizer, on the day I had a little bit of arm pain when I raised it high, it really hit me the next day though. Ended up in bed by 6pm feeling really warm and slept for over 12 hours.

Shinjch

Hoping someone can help explain a lack of understanding that I have around the efficacy percentages that are talked about regarding the vaccines.

When it is said that the vaccines are 95% effective against covid, does this mean that 95% of people who have the vaccine are protected and 5% are unfortunately not producing the antibodies adequately for protection? Or does it mean that if you are vaccinated then for every 100 times you come into contact with covid you will be protected 95 of them?

Thanks.

Bosws87

Hoping someone can help explain a lack of understanding that I have around the efficacy percentages that are talked about regarding the vaccines.

When it is said that the vaccines are 95% effective against covid, does this mean that 95% of people who have the vaccine are protected and 5% are unfortunately not producing the antibodies adequately for protection? Or does it mean that if you are vaccinated then for every 100 times you come into contact with covid you will be protected 95 of them?

Thanks.
Think it means 5% will end up in hospital/death.

Depending on if you are talking about symptoms or hospitalization efficiency

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
For me, I started feeling like shit 12 hours after the jab, but it was gone after another 24 hours.

Still, won't be fun if we end up having to have annual boosters.
Was about three and a half hours after my second one that the aches came on. I moaned a lot but it was fairly mild.

Only lasted 24 hours for me as well. Almost down to the minute.

Shinjch

Think it means 5% will end up in hospital/death.

Depending on if you are talking about symptoms or hospitalization efficiency
But would that then mean that the 5% who end up in hospital were unlucky with the vaccine not working fully on them to produce the antibodies required, or that it was one of the 5 times out of the 100 that covid got them?

Or am I looking at this all wrong?

Thanks.
Kind of the latter, but not really. Efficacy just means that within a controlled trial there will be a 95% reduction in cases or deaths or whatever the number is used in relation to. The method by which that comes about isn't relevant. It has nothing to do with which people have antibodies or not.

Effectiveness is the same thing but in the real world.

Shinjch

Kind of the latter, but not really. Efficacy just means that within a controlled trial there will be a 95% reduction in cases or deaths or whatever the number is used in relation to. The method by which that comes about isn't relevant. It has nothing to do with which people have antibodies or not.

Effectiveness is the same thing but in the real world.
Ah right, my starting point was all wrong then.

Thanks for that.

Blood Mage

I've had my first jab of the Pfizer, on the day I had a little bit of arm pain when I raised it high, it really hit me the next day though. Ended up in bed by 6pm feeling really warm and slept for over 12 hours.
Hmm I guess it's a case of everyone's body is different and how we react to the vaccine or the virus itself will be different.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure if this is the right thread but can some UK based people help me out here, from the gov.uk site:

If you’ve been in an amber list country (and have not been in or passed through a red list country, or France) in the 10 days before you arrive in England, and you have been fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme:

• you must book and take a COVID-19 travel test on or before day 2 after you arrive (the day you arrive is day 0)
  • you do not have to quarantine on arrival
The bolded part just means that I have to be vaccinated with a UK approved vaccine right and not that I have to be vaccinated within the boundaries or whatever of your own national scheme? Basically, I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer more than 14 days ago tomorrow, so I could enter the UK next weekend without having to quarantaine, is that correct? And if I leave on day 1 (say arrive Saturday and leave Sunday), is taking a COVID-19 travel test on arrival obligatory or not?

Bosws87

Sounds like its referring to British nationals only that, its worded badly if it isn't

My understanding from reading that is you had to be vaccinated via the NHS programme in the UK, not like that should make any difference.

steeeb

There's now an NHS app that I think will provide a 'passport' if your vaccines were outside of the UK, then I don't think this can be used - I think they base it on your NHS number.

Do you have any official proof of the vaccines from whatever country? If so, I'm sure you'll be fine.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Sounds like its referring to British nationals only that, its worded badly if it isn't

My understanding from reading that is you had to be vaccinated via the NHS programme in the UK, not like that should make any difference.
There's now an NHS app that I think will provide a 'passport' if your vaccines were outside of the UK, then I don't think this can be used - I think they base it on your NHS number.

Do you have any official proof of the vaccines from whatever country? If so, I'm sure you'll be fine.
I have the European Covid certificate app which proves I'm fully vaxxed yeah. Agree that it's somewhat badly worded because of the "under the UK vaccination program" but a bit below, they say:
What counts as ‘fully vaccinated’
Fully vaccinated means you’ve had your final dose of an approved vaccine under the UK vaccination programme at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England. The day you have your final dose of vaccine does not count as one of the 14 days.
So I'd definitely be fully vaccinated, just not under the UK vaccination program is my understanding, but I don't know why that would matter to be honest.

Bosws87

I have the European Covid certificate app which proves I'm fully vaxxed yeah. Agree that it's somewhat badly worded because of the "under the UK vaccination program" but a bit below, they say:

So I'd definitely be fully vaccinated, just not under the UK vaccination program is my understanding, but I don't know why that would matter to be honest.
Amber list rules if you are not fully UK vaccinated
These rules apply if you are not fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.

They also apply if you have been in France in the 10 days before you arrive in England, even if you are fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.
Before travel to England
Before you travel to England you must:

On arrival in England
On arrival in England you must:

• quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8
Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

Looks like these rules apply if your coming from an amber listed country.

Really hard to find a clear definition of UK Vaccination program.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Not sure if this is the right thread but can some UK based people help me out here, from the gov.uk site:

The bolded part just means that I have to be vaccinated with a UK approved vaccine right and not that I have to be vaccinated within the boundaries or whatever of your own national scheme? Basically, I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer more than 14 days ago tomorrow, so I could enter the UK next weekend without having to quarantaine, is that correct? And if I leave on day 1 (say arrive Saturday and leave Sunday), is taking a COVID-19 travel test on arrival obligatory or not?
No, it means that you have to have been vaccinated by the NHS in the UK. This has been a bone of contention for Brits living abroad who've been vaccinated with the same stuff being used in the UK, but who are still having to quarantine.

There is a proposal at the moment that if you still have registration with a GP in the UK, from next month you can ask them to enter your details on the NHS database after you've provided proof of your vaccination abroad. This will allow you to enter without quarantine.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Amber list rules if you are not fully UK vaccinated
These rules apply if you are not fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.

They also apply if you have been in France in the 10 days before you arrive in England, even if you are fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.
Before travel to England
Before you travel to England you must:

On arrival in England
On arrival in England you must:

• quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8
Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

Looks like these rules apply if your coming from an amber listed country.

Really hard to find a clear definition of UK Vaccination program.
No, it means that you have to have been vaccinated by the NHS in the UK. This has been a bone of contention for Brits living abroad who've been vaccinated with the same stuff being used in the UK, but who are still having to quarantine.

There is a proposal at the moment that if you still have registration with a GP in the UK, from next month you can ask them to enter your details on the NHS database after you've provided proof of your vaccination abroad. This will allow you to enter without quarantine.
Cheers, thanks for that! I guess there's no news on when the quarantaine rules will be abandoned? I have to register for Liverpool home games by Friday and I'm not gonna be quarantaining for 10 days to watch a single game :lol:

Hard to justify the difference between being vaccinated with the same vaccine under the NHS program or under a foreign one though, isn't it? Must be annoying for you guys living abroad at the moment. Hopefully it's resolved soon.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There's no general recognition agreement yet between the EU and UK on vaccine documents or on accepting each others apps. Partly that's because both systems are very new, part that they would need to be able to validate each others QR codes and haven't got the data sharing agreement.

There's supposed to be a deal in the pipeline but how many weeks away that means is a mystery.
Some EU countries are accepting the UK printed vaccine form, but that's mostly the ones who want the tourists. I don't think they've actually got a way to validate that your form is accurate, so it seems to rely on the airlines and border guards to decide what counts as proof.

The UK currently only let in visitors from Ireland and "green list" countries without quarantine. Soon though, so they say. Whenever soon is.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Cheers, thanks for that! I guess there's no news on when the quarantaine rules will be abandoned? I have to register for Liverpool home games by Friday and I'm not gonna be quarantaining for 10 days to watch a single game :lol:

Hard to justify the difference between being vaccinated with the same vaccine under the NHS program or under a foreign one though, isn't it? Must be annoying for you guys living abroad at the moment. Hopefully it's resolved soon.
No idea about the quarantine rules, which is why it's still so hard to make plans. Yes, it's ridiculous that British people who've received the same vaccines have to quarantine when re-entering the UK. We bought a property there last summer, I can't even remember what it looks like!

This is of course another wonderful consequence of Brexit. I could understand it if we'd all had Sputnik or whatever, but we've all had Pfizer, AZ or Moderna in Italy.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

No they want only NHS issued certs. So Pfizer given by Belgium for example is not good enough. You’d have to take a test unless you have an nhs issued cert

There's no general recognition agreement yet between the EU and UK on vaccine documents or on accepting each others apps. Partly that's because both systems are very new, part that they would need to be able to validate each others QR codes and haven't got the data sharing agreement.

There's supposed to be a deal in the pipeline but how many weeks away that means is a mystery.
Some EU countries are accepting the UK printed vaccine form, but that's mostly the ones who want the tourists. I don't think they've actually got a way to validate that your form is accurate, so it seems to rely on the airlines and border guards to decide what counts as proof.

The UK currently only let in visitors from Ireland and "green list" countries without quarantine. Soon though, so they say. Whenever soon is.
I have been hearing end of July for a few weeks now to read each other's vaccine passports. I don't know if I believe it though, the EU doesn't need UK tourism this summer and the UK wants to force everybody to stay and spend domestically.