The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

fergosaurus

Had my booster yesterday morning (Moderna) and feel pretty rough. My Fitbit says my skin level temp was 2.4C above baseline, my sleep quality was 35/100 and daily readiness score is 10/100. Sounds about right. In the middle of the night my head felt like it was getting squeezed in a vice but it's a bit better this morning. Relieved to have it done and out of the way as next week I'm flying for the first time in 2.5 years.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Do we have any idea when the NHS website will allow the under 40's to book their booster? After that press conference the other day, I thought it would have happened for the 30-39 age group, by now.
Not sure if still relevant, but worth checking with walk-in vaccine centres. I'm in the 30s age group but was able to get my booster at a hospital in London who are boosting anyone over 18. They were even administering to those with less than 6 months between jabs.

Bit conflicted getting it early, but as it was Pfizer (early expiry), and they were encouraging people to queue for one, I thought why not!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Pretty shocking that only 62.6% of people have been vaccinated, 1322 people is a reasonable large sample.

The United Forum is testament to the number of idiots on here, but, come on, nearly 40% not vaccinated yet?

Can people update their vote, if they have not already done so?

Balljy

Pretty shocking that only 62.6% of people have been vaccinated, 1322 people is a reasonable large sample.

The United Forum is testament to the number of idiots on here, but, come on, nearly 40% not vaccinated yet?

Can people update their vote, if they have not already done so?
People haven't updated for sure. Add the "When it's approved/available for my age/risk group" as they would have had a vaccine by now and it's up to 84% (unless most of them are under 12....).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The booster got me well and truly. Slept for what feels like 24 hours straight.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Got my booster appointment through today for Dec 30th.

I don't go out New Years Eve any more anyway if I get a reaction.

Results of the "intentions" vaccination poll

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've updated the poll, essentially to reflect the fact that the old one want getting updated much and the fact that things have moved on.

In the end the votes were:

I suspect we don't have that number still waiting. Most people have by now I guess either moved into the vaxxed category or chosen not to.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who isn't yet able to get the vaccine though - whether because of shortages in their country or another issue (like needing to wait for a particular vaccine due to allergy risks with the existing ones).

Bosws87

Not sure if i'll take up the booster option, think i've reached the point where ill take my chances.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Not sure if i'll take up the booster option, think i've reached the point where ill take my chances.
Genuinely, can I ask why?

I mean it, I've a (totally irrational) fear of needles, which, based on it being only 2 shots, I managed to push down, to get vaccinated, thinking that'll be it done. I had to, embarrassingly, explain my phobia to the nurses and, to be fair, they were great about it.

The prospect of another one sends me back to square one, but feck it, I'll suffer it again, at least it's only one more (til the next one :nervous:).

But I'll do it, what's the downside? For me, apart from the palpations and lose of control of my bowels beforehand, it's a mild inconvenience.

I'm intrigued to know why anyone, who's already on the train, wouldn't just continue.

Oo0AahCantona

I mean it, I've a (totally irrational) fear of needles, which, based on it being only 2 shots, I managed to push down, to get vaccinated, thinking that'll be it done. I had to, embarrassingly, explain my phobia to the nurses and, to be fair, they were great about it.

The prospect of another one sends me back to square one, but feck it, I'll suffer it again, at least it's only one more (til the next one :nervous:).

But I'll do it, what's the downside? For me, apart from the palpations and lose of control of my bowels beforehand, it's a mild inconvenience.

I'm intrigued to know why anyone, who's already on the train, wouldn't just continue.
I Would echo this Query, Im waiting for my booster as im under 30 but ill grab anything and everything thats given to increase my chances of not dying, suffering long term effects or being a risk to others.

Perhaps what he meant, as its a stage im at now, is that im going to live my life as normally as possible from now on. (obviously wear masks and continue being sensible) but I'm done with sitting around being a martyr watching life go by.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.

Add the fear of side effects - my second Moderna was pretty bad though not as bad as Covid.

Another reason could be to wait a few weeks for confirmed data about the variant, maybe there will be a modified vaccine roll out by March/April.

peridigm

Getting the boost tomorrow. Had zero side affects from first two Moderna. Know a few people that experienced the same and said the booster kicked their ass for a couple days. Might take Monday off.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Getting my booster on Wednesday, the appointment's been booked for months. Once again it's a long trek to a vaccination centre, but that's the reality of not living in a town. There's no other option.

Eventually they'll send the vaccine minibus here for a half-day, but I'm not waiting for that!

ManchesterYoda

An additional question for you all - at what point will you stop getting the vaccine?

a) I never started
b) I stopped after first dose
c) I stopped after second dose
d) I will stop after third dose
e) I will stop eventually
f) I will never stop

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
An additional question for you all - at what point will you stop getting the vaccine?

a) I never started
f) I will never stop
If it becomes endemic but remains serious for some groups - like flu is - then I'll keep getting boosted, probably at the same time as getting a flu jab. If I can reduce the danger to me and to those around me, why wouldn't I?

If it becomes endemic but just turns into a common cold type virus for those with some immunity, then it won't be necessary. That kind of endemic with widespread immunity might take several years and several iterations of the virus and the booster though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

a) I never started
f) I will never stop
F - it’s not just about me. I have to think about others around me including my kids. I’ll stop IF the medical world say “ok this is us done”

Bosws87

I'm relatively young, not over weight and don't fall in any other of the high risk situations.

The booster just reads like a short term solution where they are just relying on the 4-8 weeks where you have a lot of active antibodies which after 12 weeks you are gonna be back in the same situation again (more then likely) so do we go number 4 after that.

I've been following the new variant as much as i can and i've been holding on to the less severe mild outcome since first reported can't 100% confirm this but all the data from the epicentre of the omicron is still holding up along these lines currently.

At some point you are gonna have to accept you are gonna get this as its here forever.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm relatively young, not over weight and don't fall in any other of the high risk situations.

The booster just reads like a short term solution where they are just relying on the 4-8 weeks where you have a lot of active antibodies which after 12 weeks you are gonna be back in the same situation again (more then likely) so do we go number 4 after that.

I've been following the new variant as much as i can and i've been holding on to the less severe mild outcome since first reported can't 100% confirm this but all the data from the epicentre of the omicron is still holding up along these lines currently.

At some point you are gonna have to accept you are gonna get this as its here forever.

I’m with you that the personal benefit of taking the booster was never that strong, and there’s good reason to think it’s weakened with Omicron. But what’s the downside of taking it? Even if the positive sentiment drops from 1 to 0.00001, if the negative sentiment is consistently 0, why choose the negative?

If some people do decide to get dose number 4 at some point in the future, why should that have any impact on why you take dose 3? If you take one you’re not forced to take the next, every decision exists in isolation. This is given to us for free, it’s made very accessible, and there’s no strings attached. The way you’re describing it is like a ball and chain that you’re ready to get rid of.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

We as individuals may not be able to avoid it - no vaccine is 100% and these aren't either. As individuals we might not even need to be concerned if we do catch it - though that's what quite a lot of the dead and the covid injured thought. But as a community, as it's an infectious disease, we have some control over the timing and proportion of people who catch it in a given period.

Right now, we could do without additional needless cases adding to the hospitalisations or passing it on to other people. The booster is more or less certain to stop you catching Delta and passing it on. It will also improve your odds of not catching and not passing on Omicron.

Will there be a better one next year sometime? Probably. But why would that mean that there's no point trying to avoid catching it and spreading it right now?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

But so what if this ends up being a seasonal thing, like the flu jab?

It's not like it's some massive inconvenience, or that we have a maximum number of vaccinations we can get in our life time.

I totally agree with you, I think we're all going to get it at some point, so surely the sensible thing to do is stay up to date with vaccinations so that, when you get it, you limit the symptoms.

Balljy

Why would Mercedes stay out? That puts Max at a worrying advantage for me. Newer tyres, cars going slow so won't lose too much time.

stw2022

a) I never started
f) I will never stop

I’ll continue to take what’s prescribed for as long as the doctors prescribing it feel it necessary for it to be prescribed. For the avoidance of any doubt this also applies to future medical treatments related or not to the coronavirus

fergosaurus

a) I never started
f) I will never stop
Option F as well as a yearly flu jab.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think I'll squat down for xmas period and book my booster for early Jan.

I can see what that poster above is saying. I mean he's had two doses so not like he's some raving anti vaxer. I mentioned a few weeks back my 72 year old Dad had his booster as soon as possible but he's getting worn down from vaccine fatigue and having to get one every 3 months as opposed to every 12 months as is case with the flu.

How many years do we realistically have to wait before covid massively lessens in its lethal nature? It's always going to be in circulation now but you'd think with the numerous waves already it will start to significantly decrease in risk before too long....surely?! And so then you can just go to yearly shots, a nasal spray developed would also massively help at some point, no idea if that's possible in next 12 months.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Think I'll squat down for xmas period and book my booster for early Jan.

I can see what that poster above is saying. I mean he's had two doses so not like he's some raving anti vaxer. I mentioned a few weeks back my 72 year old Dad had his booster as soon as possible but he's getting worn down from vaccine fatigue and having to get one every 3 months as opposed to every 12 months as is case with the flu.

How many years do we realistically have to wait before covid massively lessens in its lethal nature? It's always going to be in circulation now but you'd think with the numerous waves already it will start to significantly decrease in risk before too long....surely?! And so then you can just go to yearly shots, a nasal spray developed would also massively help at some point, no idea if that's possible in next 12 months.
I'm inclined to agree, unless 4 doses a year staves off certain death are people going to keep doing it?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm inclined to agree, unless 4 doses a year staves off certain death are people going to keep doing it?
I forgot to add in my post aswell....majority (given imo 90% of population having at least one jab is a decent majority for UK) obeying with guidelines, getting the jabs when required and told its the path to freedom.........AND still significant restrictions imposed on daily life.

I mean not so bad currently as it is winter and in next 7 days I'm going to a gig and football match so not comparable to 12 months back but feck basically any social element being shut down for significant periods again as could well happen from January.

I think if that happens and about 30m already had 3 jabs by then you will get significant unrest and demands for long term strategy as really 90% compliance is higher than what was forecasted at start of pandemic (think it was about 80-85% needed in middle part of 2020).

Just a few questions to consider that's all. Probably annoyed as I'm going to have a go at attempting to write a book next year which will require me trying to interview some people in the same room so can see that being fecked off unless I wait to about August. :lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We as individuals may not be able to avoid it - no vaccine is 100% and these aren't either. As individuals we might not even need to be concerned if we do catch it - though that's what quite a lot of the dead and the covid injured thought. But as a community, as it's an infectious disease, we have some control over the timing and proportion of people who catch it in a given period.

Right now, we could do without additional needless cases adding to the hospitalisations or passing it on to other people. The booster is more or less certain to stop you catching Delta and passing it on. It will also improve your odds of not catching and not passing on Omicron.

Will there be a better one next year sometime? Probably. But why would that mean that there's no point trying to avoid catching it and spreading it right now?
Before I start my reply, I've just had my booster.

I think the concern with regular vaccination is we don't know what it's doing to our body in the long term. Scientists can 'predict' the impact but not tell you as fact. Why can't they? Because we have not lived 5, 10, 15, 20 years since having booster upon booster. Only then do these predictions become actual facts.

Of course we don't have a time machine but currently we do have a virus crisis that we need to do something about. So does the risk of (potential) future health problem outweigh the current requirement to keep boosting our immunity now, variant by variant? There has to be analysis done as to the crunch point. Until that analysis is done, or even considered valid, then people will start making up their own minds. That may or may not be a good idea.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think the concern with regular vaccination is we don't know what it's doing to our body in the long term. Scientists can 'predict' the impact but not tell you as fact. Why can't they? Because we have not lived 5, 10, 15, 20 years since having booster upon booster. Only then do these predictions become actual facts.
It's a fair comment. We already have numerous vaccines that need three or more doses to get to full efficacy - it may simply be that covid is another one for that list. Equally it might be more like flu where (at least some) people need a booster every year, particularly if it mutates the way this has shown us it can. We don't know where we'll be in ten years - we know where we are right now - one year after the vaccine rollout started, 18 months or so after the trials began.

That said, we don't have longterm data on covid either. We know it can kill millions a few days after they catch it. We know that the ones who caught it last year and recovered have since then had more strokes, more heart problems and more incidents of renal failure than the (age matched) ones who didn't. It's not a great glimpse into the future of what catching covid unprepared can mean.

Balljy

I was chatting to my brother in law earlier. He's over 40 and tried to book his booster on Friday, but couldn't get anything nearby until January. He'll be pretty much at 6 months when he gets it so it's not too bad, but I wonder if they should have held slots based on age groupings for a bit longer. Of course the argument will be he should have booked a couple of weeks ago....

I got mine today, but booked on the first day I could due to being 6 months since the last one.