The vaccines | vaxxed boosted unvaxxed? New poll

How's your immunity looking? Had covid - vote twice - vax status and then again for infection status

• Vaxxed but no booster

• Boostered

• Still waiting in queue for first vaccine dose

• Won't get vaxxed (unless I have to for travel/work etc)

• Past infection with covid + I've been vaccinated

• Past infection with covid - I've not been vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If, at the end of December/start of January, with 3k admitted a day and numbers in hospital blowing through the previous peak, you were calmly thinking lockdown would sort things out on it's own by March, then you'd have been more confident than pretty much anyone else.

Also, the vaccination programme has had a clear effect on reducing hospitalisations and deaths of the highest risk groups, above and beyond the reductions in younger age groups due to lockdown.
Well I’d only need to be as confident as, for example, the Israeli health service. Or any other health service in the world that decided not to risk prescribing vaccines off-license despite dealing with a horrendous wave of new cases/hospitalisations. The UK was far from the only health service under immense stress when vaccine roll-out started. If anything, it was in a better place than most, with more plentiful/earlier supplies of vaccine available so less pressure to make each vial go as far as possible.

Any impact of the vaccine on UK cases has only been evident in the last week or two. A month or so past the peak of this wave.

Acole9

Outstanding
My dad is having his vaccine tomorrow. However my sister and her other half (Having his today I think) have both had notifications, my sister is 30 and younger than I am. My mum hasn't been messaged yet and she's in her sixties.

My sister and her boyfriend are both on the large side to put it politely which makes me wonder if they've been pushed up the list as a result of that.

Is that possible?

lynchie

My dad is having his vaccine tomorrow. However my sister and her other half (Having his today I think) have both had notifications, my sister is 30 and younger than I am. My mum hasn't been messaged yet and she's in her sixties.

My sister and her boyfriend are both on the large side to put it politely which makes me wonder if they've been pushed up the list as a result of that.

Is that possible?
Could be - in terms of age bands, down to 64 are being invited, but "Group 6" - all adults with a clinical condition fromt the list here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups are also currently being done. So, being a bit presumptious from your polite description, if they have a BMI over 40 or diabetes for example, they qualify.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Wales do seem to be doing some good catch up. This guy reckons they're only 7 weeks behind 1st doses on average.

We will have finished all our second Pfizer doses by mid-March to give us 3 weeks of doing exclusively first doses to get through P7, 8 and 9 cohorts. Next week people will be called as early as 5 weeks after first Pfizer dose - surprised it hasn’t made the main press yet given the huge fuss delaying it made.

lynchie

We will have finished all our second Pfizer doses by mid-March to give us 3 weeks of doing exclusively first doses to get through P7, 8 and 9 cohorts. Next week people will be called as early as 5 weeks after first Pfizer dose - surprised it hasn’t made the main press yet given the huge fuss delaying it made.
Good news, innit. Doesn't sell papers.

Traub

So my dad got the J&J vaccine today. He’s a healthcare worker and is 65+, so to say I’m relieved is a massive understatement. Has there been any studies on reduced transmissibility following the J&J? I can’t find any.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

Is that possible?
I saw a tweet from someone who’d been offered a vaccine due to their BMI being some ridiculous number because they had their height down as somet daft like 6cm instead of 6ft at his GP. Seemed quite a stretch to be made up - so looks like BMI is a driving factor

So my dad got the J&J vaccine today. He’s a healthcare worker and is 65+, so to say I’m relieved is a massive understatement. Has there been any studies on reduced transmissibility following the J&J? I can’t find any.
Where is that? I didn't think the J&J vaccine had been approved anywhere yet. Supposedly the US may do it today, and Europe has said possibly by 15th March.

The EMA is also considering removing the age restrictions on the AZ vaccine. They're waiting for the US trial results to see if it agrees with the other data they have seen.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I saw a tweet from someone who’d been offered a vaccine due to their BMI being some ridiculous number because they had their height down as somet daft like 6cm instead of 6ft at his GP. Seemed quite a stretch to be made up - so looks like BMI is a driving factor
My local medical center have said that some patient records (not just theirs - nationally) contain a weight measurement taken a few years ago but no height measurement or just one from when people were kids. Not surprisingly it has created some anomalies.

When they reran their database search it knocked about 800 (roughly 15%) out of their Group 6 list.

I'm sure there are other similar quirks - and probably more people getting their invite early in group 6, than being left out of it. Some of those missing data things are mostly likely to affect people who hardly ever visit the doctor, which will make it even more quirky.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Where is that? I didn't think the J&J vaccine had been approved anywhere yet. Supposedly the US may do it today, and Europe has said possibly by 15th March.

The EMA is also considering removing the age restrictions on the AZ vaccine. They're waiting for the US trial results to see if it agrees with the other data they have seen.
It’s the first vaccine rolled out in South Africa because it has the best efficacy against their variant.

Wolverine

Level of covid-related Qanonery is getting out of control
Anybody care to accompany me to get some infinity stones?

Level of covid-related Qanonery is getting out of control
Anybody care to accompany me to get some infinity stones?

That's all quite believable at first. After all a nanoparticle is just a very small particle, and the pace of medical technology advancement is unreal. As one example it's hard to believe some of the things Elon Musk's Neuralink company is already doing let alone developing.

Then she goes on to the time travel bit :lol:

Traub

65+ and still working in healthcare?
Ya, private healthcare.

Thank you! This is extremely positive!

As pogue said, it's in South Africa.
I read through the terms my dad agreed to. Basically, anyone who takes the J&J in South Africa is effectively part of the final phase of trials.

Rajma

People in Lithuania are refusing AZ vaccine on a large scale now as side effects seem to be really frequent and severe which normally last up to a week. Everyone prefers to be given a Pfizer shot here.

redshaw

People in Lithuania are refusing AZ vaccine on a large scale now as side effects seem to be really frequent and severe which normally last up to a week. Everyone prefers to be given a Pfizer shot here.
I've read so many accounts of the Pfizer one hitting people hard and them being put out of action for a week. People speculating the effects are more severe than the AZ one. One of the reasons suggested is the Pfizer one is more harsh as it brings about a better response from the immune system. Ultimately I think people want the higher number vaccine. Plenty of nurses across Europe refuse the AZ and want Pfizer.

Wicked_Badger

My Sister-in-law is a nurse and had both doses now. Pfizer. She didn’t have any side effects after jab 1, felt horrible for a day after jab 2.

Other sister-in-law had her first dose last week. A. Felt shit for a day.

I just think it’s your luck/circumstance. Pretty sure people react differently to the flu jab too.

Wish they wouldn’t tell people which one they’re getting and it wouldn’t be a story to potentially put people off getting the jag.

The UK rollout seems to be going surprisingly well so far. I didn’t have any faith in the government to handle this appropriately. Maybe the benefit of having an NHS?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
For the people that's had one/been invited? Can you choose your own date/time or do you get a take it or leave it slot?

If the former what type of window do you get? Week? Month? Something in between? I ask because I'm provisionally planning travels and family meets from May all going well so would be ideal to know how much wriggle room I've got when my time comes.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...ency-use-authorization-third-covid-19-vaccine

FDA approves the single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine for immediate, emergency use.

Manufacturing volumes are still being ramped up, but they've got 4m doses available in the US now and are expecting to have 100m available in the US before July. The EU are expecting 200m to be delivered by the end of the year.

Hopefully some J&J production will be heading to South Africa and other countries as well - but I've not seen a timeline for those high volume shipments to SA.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For the people that's had one/been invited? Can you choose your own date/time or do you get a take it or leave it slot?

If the former what type of window do you get? Week? Month? Something in between? I ask because I'm provisionally planning travels and family meets from May all going well so would be ideal to know how much wriggle room I've got when my time comes.
I can only give you info from my family, but I know it depends a bit on how it gets offered. The current pattern seems to be a letter with a link inside, that link offers local sites and the site page lets you book a date up until a about a week into the future. The reason the sites are looking like that is because the vaccine deliveries have been a bit inconsistent, so they wait until delivery dates are confirmed. The GPs are phoning/sending texts as well - but again they've only got visibility a week or so ahead.

Unless you actually tell them that you don't want it (or your record hasn't been updated to show you having had it at work or something) they just seem to try again a week later with another text, and ask you to have another go at making a booking.

By May, I think things will have calmed down a lot, and a lot of sites will have AZ sitting in the fridge so they can be confident they'll have a supply for a couple of weeks ahead, and booking systems to match. In other words I don't think there will be a problem for you (* this comment comes with no warranties, or guarantees)

Kaos

From what ive been told by friends and family members who got the first dose there doesnt seem to be any strong side effects from the Pfizer vacc but the Astra Zeneca makes you feel sore, stiff and fluish for a day or so
I was pretty poorly for about a day after taking the Pfizer vaccine - I had a high temperature, shivering and soreness. I think it varies per person regardless of vaccine, especially if they'd had prior exposure to the virus.

Traub

Quick question for those more knowledgeable. I know the CDC says you shouldn’t have any other vaccines two weeks before or after the covid vaccine. However, does this actually make a difference?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Well, that’s me got Bill Gates microchips in me now(AZ). Feel a bit meh, slight headache, but nothing horrible. Hopefully that’s all I have to deal with and a lot of worrying over nothing. Stupid brain.

lynchie

Well, that’s me got Bill Gates microchips in me now(AZ). Feel a bit meh, slight headache, but nothing horrible. Hopefully that’s all I have to deal with and a lot of worrying over nothing. Stupid brain.
Good man. Hope you ticked the box to refuse automatic updates.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can only give you info from my family, but I know it depends a bit on how it gets offered. The current pattern seems to be a letter with a link inside, that link offers local sites and the site page lets you book a date up until a about a week into the future. The reason the sites are looking like that is because the vaccine deliveries have been a bit inconsistent, so they wait until delivery dates are confirmed. The GPs are phoning/sending texts as well - but again they've only got visibility a week or so ahead.

Unless you actually tell them that you don't want it (or your record hasn't been updated to show you having had it at work or something) they just seem to try again a week later with another text, and ask you to have another go at making a booking.

By May, I think things will have calmed down a lot, and a lot of sites will have AZ sitting in the fridge so they can be confident they'll have a supply for a couple of weeks ahead, and booking systems to match. In other words I don't think there will be a problem for you (* this comment comes with no warranties, or guarantees)
Ideal, thanks for the reply.

I'll probably make sure I don't have anything booked beyond two weeks (ive saved up and plan to quit my job and travel once the world opens up again) in that case and that will hopefully be sufficient enough to work around the first dose, then once I've got set dates i can start making longer plans.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Glad to hear it you made the right decision for yourself and others. You’ll be fine.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Got a call from my GP this morning and been booked in for my jab this afternoon. Slightly surprised as I am young and have no underlying health conditions, I am from a minority ethnic group however so I wonder if that's getting a push from this phase of the rollout or if it's based purely on the patient assessments of my GP.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Got a call from my GP this morning and been booked in for my jab this afternoon. Slightly surprised as I am young and have no underlying health conditions, I am from a minority ethnic group however so I wonder if that's getting a push from this phase of the rollout or if it's based purely on the patient assessments of my GP.
You’ve probably got a serious underlying condition that your GP hasn’t plucked up the courage to tell you about. This is his way of breaking it to you gently.

Classical Mechanic

Now go and treat yourself to a top of the range Microsoft Surface, you know you want to. You’re probably starting to realise by now that Edge is actually the best search engine about.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Got the Pfizer about 30 mins ago, arm feels a bit heavy but that's it so far.