The "value in the market" thread - (CDM, ST, Backup RB)

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Ramos/ Varane
Trippier
Sancho
a DM

We will never pull it off but if we did that and signed Pogba to a new contract, that would go a long way to getting me of the Glazers back at least

crossy1686

career ending
Feels like there's zero value in the market now more than ever.

Clubs have all lost money over the last 2 years and players like Ben White are touted for more than £50m. There might be value in the market somewhere but it's not in English players and it's not in the PL either.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I’d say Shaw has come good after a bad couple of years. He started well until the leg break too.
I'd say he's fulfilling his expectations ( being a solid left back) rather than exceeding it if we take his whole tenure with us into consideration.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Clubs have all lost money over the last 2 years and players like Ben White are touted for more than £50m. There might be value in the market somewhere but it's not in English players and it's not in the PL either.
Exactly this as the great posts by jesperjaap have also tried to show.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Can't see Ramos joining. De Gea on his way out, Mata retiring, Ander gone. The Spanish armada is sinking.
De Gea is staying, Mata extends for a final year, Bruno is cool, CR7 makes a surprise comeback and asks his buddy Ramos to come hang in Manchester.

It'll happen. Plan the Parade!

mu4c_20le

There probably is, we just aren't willing to take a chance, and when we do it's underwhelming. We're not gonna find these value signings if we keep going for the big names, or at least fairly known prospects like Ben White. When I think of value , Robertson for 7m comes to mind. There is a kid called Aaron Hickey who is a Scottish left back currently at Bologna. He has decent potential and won't cost more than 10m. Too bad we already have Telles otherwise he might be worth a punt, especially if he turns out anywhere close to Robertson or Tierney.

TheLord

The "unwanted" CB Fikayo Tomori is sold to Milan for nearly €30m. The rates are incredibly steep, even in pandemic times.

TheGame

If clubs like us and City continue to pay ridiculous transfer fees then clubs will feel they can rip us off and hold out for as much as they can get. Ultimately we need to be scouting better so we are picking up promising players first from clubs rather than paying massive fees afterwards.

Mark Pawelek

If clubs like us and City continue to pay ridiculous transfer fees then clubs will feel they can rip us off and hold out for as much as they can get. Ultimately we need to be scouting better so we are picking up promising players first from clubs rather than paying massive fees afterwards.
City don't pay ridiculous transfer fees. Their club record is £61m. But they do buy a lot of players.

NoPace

I feel like all the 3 at the back being played should make finding a cheap RB to compete with Wan-Bissaka easier because we basically want a wingback there anyways who is great going forward even if they mostly play in games where we're attacking a lot.

youmeletsfly

City don't pay ridiculous transfer fees. Their club record is £61m. But they do buy a lot of players.
40 mil for Ake and 50 something mil for that useless Mendy guys, hard to say they aren't paying ridiculous fees.
They're not paying 100 mil on a single player, but since oil money came in they're basically throwing the 50 mil left, right and center.

Devil81

This Denzel Dumfries looks a player.

How much is he available for?

dinostar77

ESPN reporting that Utd are finding other clubs are jacking up their prices as a few english clubs have funds to make moves in this market. Also there is so little financial liquidity across europe. ESPN were saying to expect Utd transfers towards the end of the window when clubs will get more desperate to get money on the books to sort out their own squads and will reduce prices.

JohnnyLaw

This Denzel Dumfries looks a player.

How much is he available for?
Apparently has a release clause set at €15m. Based on his EC performances this looks like a no brainer if we’re looking to add some competition for AWB.

jesperjaap

They paid £41m for Ake, £40m for Mangala, £51m for Mendy, £58m for Cancelo and like to say they have brought loads of players. Here is a list:

Manchester City - Record arrivals | Transfermarkt
I agree, though they never break the bank on players with uge signings, they have over paid for a lot of players and of coruse also bought a huge amount of players. Obviosuly a fair few players who have proved to be great signings even at relatively big fees but many more the opposite. Very few players on there list you could say were really good value signings. Zinchenko is the only bargain they have picked up and Gundogan probably the only value signing, which is very small when you see just how many players they ahve signed....effectively playing football manager when you look at the turnaround of players

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Gotta say watching the Euros that it serves as a reminder that there isn't that big a difference between huge, known stars and better value out there.

Given our extensive scouting network, and the fact that one hopes we have access to the internet, we really should be considering the vast wide world of players rather than just the latest England call up.

kthanksbye

Value in the market is dependent on how well we scout and the fact that we're looking to buy finished products (also our inability to considerably improve players once they join us).

Players like AwB, Maguire, Bruno are obviously going to cost us more because they were rated before moving, even now Rice is nominated for the POTY awards, so he's not going to be cheap, same with Grealish, he's a known commodity now.
Value in the transfer market would be when players like James work out for us and can become important players for the club.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Where’s the value DM coming from then? If we even go for one?

Hammondo

City pay rediculous fees? Can you give a few examples?

sparx99

Players whose contracts are running down or have release clauses are the value in the market.

Out of interest Mbappe with a year left on his contract. Do we think £100m plus Martial gets that deal done? Obviously Mbappe would have to want to come but Madrid can’t afford him this year.

I did read that the Scottish lad playing for the Dutch, Dumfries has a release clause of £15m. Could be an alternative to Trippier.

Tallis

I’d say Shaw has come good after a bad couple of years. He started well until the leg break too.
Mou destroyed his confidence otherwise he would come good sooner. He still has some room for improvement on the defensive side. With his pace and build, he can be the second coming of Ashley Cole (someone I disliked strongly but acknowledge his quality).

jesperjaap

Milenkovic, Romagnoli, Romero, Zakaria, Dieng, De La Cruz, Sulemeena are all players we have been linked with to some degree this summer with prices from under £10m being quoted and none over £40m.

Dont tell me there isnt potential value in the market. I havent seen a lot of these players play much and not even heard of the alst three until recently. So I cant say they are the answer. But football does exist outside of the premiership where fees are crazy. Also dont have to spend over £50m for decent but not special young defenders in Spain or big names.

It is really a job for the scouts. We have signed a few exciting talents the last year or so, all teenagers though. Of coruse it is a gamble with other cultures or smaller leagues but what about players 21 or so or South American players. The world is a differnt place to 15-20 years ago, I dont think it is as big a thing to settle.

Add to that we have several players £25m+ there are godo reasons to sell. There is no excuse for me for us not to make four quality signings this summer as a minimum.

jesperjaap

Where’s the value DM coming from then? If we even go for one?
Kamara, Zakaria, Gravenburch are all very good young players around £30m that would suit the pivot and then there are lots more between that and £50m though wouldnt class those as value signings. Then there is that De La Cruz mentioned for £15m from Uruguay I had never heard of (obligatory looks good on youtube though haha)

Scottynaldinho

In:
1)Sancho
2)Varane
3)Matic like deal for an ageing but fine CDM that can sort us for a couple of seasons.
3.5)Pogba new contract

150-175m

Out:
1)Phil Jones
2)Romero
3)Mata
4)Matic
5)Williams(loan)
6)Martial

50m

Excellent summer with a decent net spend.

jesperjaap

I did read that the Scottish lad playing for the Dutch, Dumfries has a release clause of £15m. Could be an alternative to Trippier.
Personally dont think we even need to sign a back up right back....but if we were, yes there are plenty of alternatives to Trippier for value. Knew nothing of DUmfries before this tournament in all honesty so is he a good club player or a tournament wonder?

I know he failed at Newcastle, almost forget he was even there but I have always liked Mbabu and Maehle has looked really good too. If we are talking about good attacking full backs as back ups, they are both valued at under £15m it appears and both much younger than Trippier too.

I do however think we need to add genuine quality to the first eleven rather than squad, especially at cb, cm and rw. I also think that RW is obviously Sancho and so it should be, we already have talented youngsters coming through, the only other viable option for me is Coman and he wouldnt be a value player either. In CM I think the majority of options are over £40m and for me if possible it has always been Camavinga, again not a value signing. Thats £130-140m right there so even selling players unless a couple of high profile ones, doesnt leave much. Personally the only value signings potentially are a second central midfielder which I dont see us doing (Zakaria would be my choice) or a centre back, where I feel we are all after a high profile one when Romagnoli and ROmero are two that would be far cheaper than the names we are linked with and in my opinion anyway, are better than nearly all of them too.

I think we do three big signings IF we can get them and maybe a youngster again, which in all honesty if its Varane, Camavinga, Sancho and a youngster would be one of the best windows we have done for a very very long time potentially........but yeah, I still wish we could get Grealish :)

mancsarered

Sancho for under 80m... Varane up next for approximately 50m?

I'd say there's value in this market :)

jesperjaap

I think the rumours flying around at the moment just show how much potential value there is in the market:

Camavinga £25m
Renato Sanches £32m
Romagnoli £25m
Varane £40m
Pogba £50m
Locatelli £40m

I know we can argue Camavinga is young, Sanches failed in the premiership, Romagnoli has stagnated, Pogba hasnt performed.....but they are all players with lots of ability and bar Sanches/Locatelli maybe, I think the expected prices would have been nearer double for most of them going back a year.

It kind of puts the prospective premiership prices into perspective of Rice @ £80-100, Fofana £80m etc etc. Both are very good players of course and would improve our first eleven in my opinion, but looking at the prices of other players out there, I think only really Mbappe, Frenkie DeJong, Grealish and Haaland really warrant the huge fees bandied about of some players at the moment as they are so individual and above others with the skill sets they possess.

Even going a rung down and the likes of Ben WHite and Bissouma who have had good seasons and look like promising players.People weere talking of Bisssouma being a bargain around £40m a few weeks ago....good player, but really isnt a bargain and neither is Neves @ £30m.

We really could buy decent players for cb, rb, 2 x cm, rw and cf including Sancho, Camavinga and Varane for around £220-250m before selling players if we went all out and made some major sales.

I dont see any need myself for a rb or cf this summer, would like a second central midfelder though if we made sales and we dotn even need to make many at all. Of coruse we have the problem offloading players of the huge contracts they are on already in Pogba, DeGea as a couple of obvious examples but even others at a lower level like Lingard are on higher wages than clubs t the level they are at are prepared to pay really.

But f we managed to get a great trio of Varane, Sancho, Camavinga....a very good proportion of what we were to sell I feel could be available for another signing. I just dont see where it comes from though as DeGea I cant see anybody in for, Bailly I expect to stay, Jones with his injuries I would see a pretty nominal fee, Dalot doesnt seem a priority and though I dont rate him highly there are good reasons to keep him another season. VDB is staying 90% I expect, Pereira doesnt seem to be interesting anybody, Matic and Mata are old and personally for one more year I would keep Martial so we have three striking options as one is old and the other inexperienced as a striker.

Really that leaves:
Pogba
Lingard
James

And to be fair, that is surely £80m which if we secure targets at reported fees is only a £60m net spend. E40-50m on a secn cm to support Camavinga possibly/ideally.......that would leave us pretty much every possible option out there bar a Rice/DeJong/Barella price wise

Mark Pawelek

ESPN reporting that Utd are finding other clubs are jacking up their prices as a few english clubs have funds to make moves in this market. Also there is so little financial liquidity across europe. ESPN were saying to expect Utd transfers towards the end of the window when clubs will get more desperate to get money on the books to sort out their own squads and will reduce prices.
According to this 'logic', when liquidity is scarce: clubs jack up prices. In reality, clubs have fire sales when desperately short of money; they cut prices.

dinostar77

According to this 'logic', when liquidity is scarce: clubs jack up prices. In reality, clubs have fire sales when desperately short of money; they cut prices.
Your not going to cut prices at the start of the window but towards the end. Same as if your selling your car or house. You have a price in mind and if you get closer to your cutoff date for a sale and dont get the offer you want. Then you cut your prices.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's the press cycle that's doing it. Everyday huge numbers on back pages, it creates this false impression that there's loads of huge deals and money flying about.

In reality, Sancho aside only PSG - who don't operate in financial reality- are doing any real spending.

Towards the end of the window sales will start to happen. Because solvency concerns trump obstinance.

United would - frustratingly for us - be better waiting.