The Virgin League Draft | Winner: GodShaveTheQueen

Indnyc

ManagerRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Time (min)
1. harmsG. NetzerM. BelodediciH. KranklR. PavoniH. WimmerP. SousaI. ChislenkoM. ReusW. Samuel323
2. Enigma_87RivellinoM. TrésorJ. PirriMaiconCarecaA. VidalS. ManeT. MüllerV. Kompany385
3. Joga & TheonB.VogtsA.PicchiA.SpencerD. ZoffD. MackayB.WrightJ. VerónT. HaßlerA. Giresse394
4. Zlatan 7C. SeedorfAldairJ. KlinsmannS. BusquetsR. DonadoniM. ReizigerD. AlbertiniS. PearceD. Ginola638
5. PhysiocratB. SchusterF. AlbertJ. SantamariaJ. CeulemansH. CrespoM. ZagalloV. BessonovM. CarrickE. Hughes107
6. Šjor Bepo & GioA. PirloHidegkutiK. MbappéP. GascoigneN. KantéC. MozerW.SagnolW. ZengaB. Dietz373
7. Michaelf7777777R. BochiniN. GoncalvesLeandroJ. CharlesM. SalahC. GamarraT. GemmellM. KhurtsilavaG. Bulgarelli2938
8. Edgar Allan PillowD. BeckhamD. IrwinT. AdamsG. SilvaB. MurdochR. PiresA. ColeD. YorkeB. McNeill367
9. King KendrickSócratesV. Van DijkM. BallackS. RamosE. CantonaE. HazardR. SterlingJuanfranW. Jansen102
10. SirScholesS. AgueroTostaoJ. TerryF. CollovatiM. TassotiL. BradyG. HoddleCasemiroA. Ortega1316
11. BIG DUNKD. BergkampJ. HeynckesF. BeneL. YashinG. BuchwaldR. PerfumoJorginhoR. BenettiR. Gordillo382
12. IndnycR. LewandowskiF. LampardRui CostaG. GattusoS. BruceR. AyalaC. PanucciV. AndersonY. Toure300
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. KubalaE. FrancescoliE. CambiassoI. CasillasO. BergmarkT. Alexander - Arnold506
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. CerezoA. HaanU. HoenessD. StojkovićR. VaraneG. HanappiJ. Altafini780
15. HimannvK. KeeganK. DalglishB. HulshoffH. SzymaniakJ. ArmfieldJ. RepJ. LitmanenH. Blankenburg179
16. GodShaveTheQueenK. HamrinO. SivoriD. BlanchflowerB. BremnerJ. FontaineP. LittbarskiR. BratsethA. Benarrivo32

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
ManagerRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Time (min)
1. harmsG. NetzerM. BelodediciH. KranklR. PavoniH. WimmerP. SousaI. ChislenkoM. ReusW. Samuel323
2. Enigma_87RivellinoM. TrésorJ. PirriMaiconCarecaA. VidalS. ManeT. MüllerV. Kompany385
3. Joga & TheonB.VogtsA.PicchiA.SpencerD. ZoffD. MackayB.WrightJ. VerónT. HaßlerA. Giresse394
4. Zlatan 7C. SeedorfAldairJ. KlinsmannS. BusquetsR. DonadoniM. ReizigerD. AlbertiniS. PearceD. Ginola638
5. PhysiocratB. SchusterF. AlbertJ. SantamariaJ. CeulemansH. CrespoM. ZagalloV. BessonovM. CarrickE. Hughes107
6. Šjor Bepo & GioA. PirloHidegkutiK. MbappéP. GascoigneN. KantéC. MozerW.SagnolW. ZengaB. Dietz373
7. Michaelf7777777R. BochiniN. GoncalvesLeandroJ. CharlesM. SalahC. GamarraT. GemmellM. KhurtsilavaG. Bulgarelli2938
8. Edgar Allan PillowD. BeckhamD. IrwinT. AdamsG. SilvaB. MurdochR. PiresA. ColeD. YorkeB. McNeill367
9. King KendrickSócratesV. Van DijkM. BallackS. RamosE. CantonaE. HazardR. SterlingJuanfranW. Jansen102
10. SirScholesS. AgueroTostaoJ. TerryF. CollovatiM. TassotiL. BradyG. HoddleCasemiroA. Ortega1316
11. BIG DUNKD. BergkampJ. HeynckesF. BeneL. YashinG. BuchwaldR. PerfumoJorginhoR. BenettiR. Gordillo382
12. IndnycR. LewandowskiF. LampardRui CostaG. GattusoS. BruceR. AyalaC. PanucciV. AndersonY. Toure300
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. KubalaE. FrancescoliE. CambiassoI. CasillasO. BergmarkT. Alexander - ArnoldN. Liedholm512
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. CerezoA. HaanU. HoenessD. StojkovićR. VaraneG. HanappiJ. Altafini780
15. HimannvK. KeeganK. DalglishB. HulshoffH. SzymaniakJ. ArmfieldJ. RepJ. LitmanenH. Blankenburg179
16. GodShaveTheQueenK. HamrinO. SivoriD. BlanchflowerB. BremnerJ. FontaineP. LittbarskiR. BratsethA. Benarrivo32

Round 10

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Hey mate, please pick Kenny Sansom and Johnny Giles if my turn comes up.

Germano and Grosics

13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. KubalaE. FrancescoliE. CambiassoI. CasillasO. BergmarkT. Alexander - ArnoldN. Liedholm512
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. CerezoA. HaanU. HoenessD. StojkovićR. VaraneG. HanappiJ. AltafiniJ. Alba785
15. HimannvK. KeeganK. DalglishB. HulshoffH. SzymaniakJ. ArmfieldJ. RepJ. LitmanenH. BlankenburgK SansomJ. Giles199
16. GodShaveTheQueenK. HamrinO. SivoriD. BlanchflowerB. BremnerJ. FontaineP. LittbarskiR. BratsethA. BenarrivoGermanoG. Grosics42

@Fortitude

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yap, thats him. Unreal he lasted so long.....
He was one from three others left I was going to have to deliberate on choosing come the 12th round.

Between he and Hanappi it was a case of picking a direction to take the team in. Thought he'd be a no-brainer for someone before the 3rd round was up, tbh.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I was thinking about another one that is not picked. Very versatile too, yet he doesn't catch much attention in drafts for some reason.
The pool is huge and there will be so many forgotten greats that will go unpicked, part of the reason id like to play the reserve thing as well

Enigma_87

You know who
The pool is huge and there will be so many forgotten greats that will go unpicked, part of the reason id like to play the reserve thing as well
yeah you can arguably create a very good side even with the players still left to be picked.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. KubalaE. FrancescoliE. CambiassoI. CasillasO. BergmarkT. Alexander - ArnoldN. LiedholmD. Pereyra524
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. CerezoA. HaanU. HoenessD. StojkovićR. VaraneG. HanappiJ. AltafiniJ. AlbaJ. Kimmich789
15. HimannvK. KeeganK. DalglishB. HulshoffH. SzymaniakJ. ArmfieldJ. RepJ. LitmanenH. BlankenburgK SansomJ. Giles199
16. GodShaveTheQueenK. HamrinO. SivoriD. BlanchflowerB. BremnerJ. FontaineP. LittbarskiR. BratsethA. BenarrivoGermanoG. Grosics42
[/QUOTE]

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I know I am tuning my own horn but Germano really deserves a better standing in drafts here. Hulshoff finally seems to have made the cut with regular appearances in drafts now and was delighted when he went in round 3. This was a draft where Germano should have gone at least in the first half of drafting. Even that is being modest, as his stature in the 60s was huge.

Enigma_87

You know who
I know I am tuning my own horn but Germano really deserves a better standing in drafts here. Hulshoff finally seems to have made the cut with regular appearances in drafts now and was delighted when he went in round 3. This was a draft where Germano should have gone at least in the first half of drafting. Even that is being modest, as his stature in the 60s was huge.
Was torn between him and Kompany in my last pick. The reason why I went with the latter is because I know him better and he would fit in the team so far. It's a shame he doesn't get much recognition in drafts - that's true, considering he was an integral part of one of the most dominant sides in the 60's that got better of Real on more than one occasion.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He was on my core list, but I don't know how he's rated round here so was never a consideration. There a few from that era who seem to curry no favour and are subsequently left on the board despite being superstars of their era. Hard to pick them when they might prove costly for you.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
He was on more core list, but I don't know how he's rated round here
I wont say he is not rated among people who are aware of him but my best guess is most are not too knowledgeable about him. Most wouldn’t be able to name more than 3-4 players from that Benfica side, so it’s understandable. Compare that to the Real, Inter, United or even the great Celtic team from that era and most would name more than half the team easily.

And those who rate him probably don’t pick him for the same reason. Won’t buy votes. Like @Enigma_87 , I was torn between Kompany and Germano too but he made the decision easy for me.

Last edited:

Indnyc

@BIG DUNK
12. IndnycR. LewandowskiF. LampardRui CostaG. GattusoS. BruceR. AyalaC. PanucciV. AndersonY. ToureN. Southhall318
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. KubalaE. FrancescoliE. CambiassoI. CasillasO. BergmarkT. Alexander - ArnoldN. LiedholmD. Pereyra524
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. CerezoA. HaanU. HoenessD. StojkovićR. VaraneG. HanappiJ. AltafiniJ. AlbaJ. Kimmich789

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I wont say he is not rated among people who are aware of him but my best guess is most are not too knowledgeable about him. Most wouldn’t be able to name more than 3-4 players from that Benfica side, so it’s understandable. Compare that too the Real, Inter, United or evening the great Celtic time from that era and most would name more than half the team easily.

And those who rate him probably don’t pick him for the same reason. Won’t buy votes. Like @Enigma_87 , I was torn between Kompany and Germano too but he made the decision easy for me.
Yes, I tend to think a glance at a side is half the battle and certain names instantly win some voters over whilst others, even if their credentials are stellar, will cause doubt and hesitation.

I'm not round these parts enough to say with certainty, but someone like Germano is an 'out there' pick, as far as I'm aware, which is why I'd be hesitant to pick him, and, as you say, a bunch of truly celebrated players from the same side he earned his stripes with.

Perhaps you will raise his profile with your amazing write up... :D

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
It would be interesting to see how many blocks you would need to have a side that is just marginally better than say the current Barca, Bayern and Pool sides
Current barca? Reckon after 73. Reserve draft we might maybe struggle a bit.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes, I tend to think a glance at a side is half the battle and certain names instantly win some voters over whilst others, even if their credentials are stellar, will cause doubt and hesitation.

I'm not round these parts enough to say with certainty, but someone like Germano is an 'out there' pick, as far as I'm aware, which is why I'd be hesitant to pick him, and, as you say, a bunch of truly celebrated players from the same side he earned his stripes with.

Perhaps you will raise his profile with your amazing write up... :D
thing is - a lot of this happens to older defenders, whilst rarely circumstances are taken into consideration.

Now I agree for guys that were playing in the 30s and 40's - or generally pre-war players, but some of the defenders from the 60's I think are getting some pretty hard deal.

For example Santamaria - 4-5 years ago he was considered as one of the best defenders historically - often picked in the opening 3-4 rounds in all time drafts, however he got rinsed a bit in couple of draft games and now makes the reserve list. A lot of this has to do with how open teams were back then and every mistake is really extrapolated.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
thing is - a lot of this happens to older defenders, whilst rarely circumstances are taken into consideration.

Now I agree for guys that were playing in the 30s and 40's - or generally pre-war players, but some of the defenders from the 60's I think are getting some pretty hard deal.

For example Santamaria - 4-5 years ago he was considered as one of the best defenders historically - often picked in the opening 3-4 rounds in all time drafts, however he got rinsed a bit in couple of draft games and now makes the reserve list. A lot of this has to do with how open teams were back then and every mistake is really extrapolated.
Yes, I read through that particular turnaround, which was surreal and has had a long-lasting taint on Santamaria with no quarter given [back]. Germano should be a first half pick in a draft like this as GSTQ said - his versatility and quality across two positions should assure that, alone - but I wonder if he didn't pick him who would've simply due to the feeling he'll be a costly selection in the grand scheme of things.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes, I read through that particular turnaround, which was surreal and has had a long-lasting taint on Santamaria with no quarter given [back]. Germano should be a first half pick in a draft like this as GSTQ said - his versatility and quality across two positions should assure that, alone - but I wonder if he didn't pick him who would've simply due to the feeling he'll be a costly selection in the grand scheme of things.
tbh, I picked Tresor and Pirri pretty early, hence not really concentrating on the second CB position up until later rounds and I had the DM covered too.. I'm not sure how would Germano be rated so you might pull a pretty good pick, or as you mentioned get targeted.

One thing for sure, I'd play him as CB. Tried once with Vasovic at DM (who also played there on occasion) in one draft game and got completely battered, resulting in subbing him off like 2 hrs after the start.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
tbh, I picked Tresor and Pirri pretty early, hence not really concentrating on the second CB position up until later rounds and I had the DM covered too.. I'm not sure how would Germano be rated so you might pull a pretty good pick, or as you mentioned get targeted.

One thing for sure, I'd play him as CB. Tried once with Vasovic at DM (who also played there on occasion) in one draft game and got completely battered, resulting in subbing him off like 2 hrs after the start.
:lol: Once bitten, twice shy.

Shame that.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Santamaria does seem to have been more accurately rated recently since that. If he's not in a high line and paired with a sweeper style CB he is well rated, well hopefully

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Santamaria does seem to have been more accurately rated recently since that. If he's not in a high line and paired with a sweeper style CB he is well rated, well hopefully
It's not a dice you willingly roll though, is it? You're going to procrastinate on picking him and run through a list of other CB's first, no?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Despite the emergence of video footage from the 1950s, it’s just a tricky era to compare defenders. The game was so open and attacking it’s hard to separate the individual from the team that’s conceded a barrel-load of goals. It’s not just Germano, Billy Wright was a late pick for a player of his standing and Santamaria could feasibly have gone sooner as arguably the most accomplished central defender in the pool. Sometimes it’s even tricky to assess defenders in more cautious set-ups because they’re not dealing with all the modern inconveniences of high lines, passbacks, and attacker-friendly refereeing.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It's not a dice you willingly roll though, is it? You're going to procrastinate on picking him and run through a list of other CB's first, no?
I willingly rolled it. I think he is easily one of the best CBs in the pool if you appropriately contextualise his career

BIG DUNK

Tank
LUIS FERNANDEZ

Tactically a superb defensive midfielder, while still possessing the technical skills of a playmaker, and the raw energy and bite of a box-to-box dynamo.

Luis Fernandez‘s role in the French Magic Square:

“Luis Fernandez brought a combative element to the team as well as rejuvenating a side lacking in youth. He added greater balance to the square that had looked lopsided beforehand. He bossed each game with sophisticated charm. He added steel to the back four and was also the link between the defence and the attack. His industry and bite made him a prototype, a model midfielder and a vital midfield general. He was crucial in freeing up space for the Giresse and Platini to move forward and work the space. Despite his ruggedness he was more than just a midfield destroyer, he possessed a delightful touch, accuracy and a panoramic vision in reading the game. He was the final piece of puzzle to the Magic Square.”

@SirScholes

Bunch of important updates!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Finally had the time to fine-tune the way I want to structure this draft so there are a couple of updates. Bit delayed, obviously, and I do apologize for springing this as a Round 10 surprise — but you can rest assured that the modifications won't be overly disruptive and shouldn't affect your preparations thus far in a significant way.

• You will now have to select 14 players instead of 12. Please make sure that all of these players can start a match for you if need be, and the ultimate/penultimate picks aren't absolute liabilities.

• At the end of the initial drafting phase, managers will have to rank everyone apart from themselves, in order from 1 to 15. Please make sure that you have at least a nebulous idea by the midway point of Round 14 at the latest, and are semi-ready to PM me your lists, so the whole counting/sorting process is expedited. The manager with the best ranking will receive a gift, much like the manager with the best time score (and no, the gift is not some sort of red herring or troll job). In case 2 or more managers end up with the same rank, the winner will be decided on the basis of their time scores.

• Instead of just 1 Group 1 match, some managers will have to play up to 2 matches in a league setup — the scheme will be explained in greater detail once the initial drafting phase is brought to a close and I have all of your ranking lists, so you don't have to worry right now.

That's it for the time being, good luck with the rest of your selections everyone! :)

* Another heads up — some of you will be able to figure out that the extra picks will be needed for swaps in the starting XI — you will only be required to change out-field players, so there's no need/reason to select multiple goalkeepers (unless you want to do it for your own reasons of course).

ManagerRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Round 13Round 14Time (min)
11. BIG DUNKD. BergkampJ. HeynckesF. BeneL. YashinG. BuchwaldR. PerfumoJorginhoR. BenettiR. GordilloL. Fernandez443
12. IndnycR. LewandowskiF. LampardRui CostaG. GattusoS. BruceR. AyalaC. PanucciV. AndersonY. ToureN. Southhall318