The Virgin League Draft | Winner: GodShaveTheQueen

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
ManagerRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Time (min)
1. harmsG. NetzerM. BelodediciH. Krankl120
2. Enigma_87RivellinoM. TrésorJ. Pirri342
3. Joga & TheonB.VogtsA.PicchiA.Spencer370
4. Zlatan 7C. SeedorfAldairJ. Klinsmann223
5. PhysiocratB. SchusterF. AlbertJ. Santamaria45
6. Šjor Bepo & GioA. PirloHidegkutiK. Mbappe99
7. Michaelf7777777R. BochiniN. GoncalvesLeandro800
8. Edgar Allan PillowD. BeckhamD. IrwinT. Adams239
9. King KendrickSócratesV. Van DijkM. Ballack35
10. SirScholesS. AgueroTostaoJ. Terry424
11. BIG DUNKD. BergkampJ. Heynckes168
12. IndnycR. LewandowskiF. Lampard68
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. Koeman96
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. Cerezo183
15. HimannvK. KeeganK. Dalglish58
16. GodShaveTheQueenK. HamrinO. Sivori18

@BIG DUNK

BIG DUNK

Tank
Ferenc Bene

A technically brilliant forward, Ferenc Bene was deadly on the right wing or centrally. A skilled dribbler who was just as likely to bamboozle a fullback with his feints, agile turns and tricks or lose his marker in the box with a perfectly timed run. A prolific goalscorer who was undoubtedly one of the most feared forwards/outside rights in the mid to late 60s and early 70s. I feel Bergkamp’s vision and passing will maximise both Heycknes’ and Bene’s relentless workrate, link up play, intelligent movement and clinical finishing in the last third.

@Indnyc

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
ManagerRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7Round 8Round 9Round 10Round 11Round 12Time (min)
11. BIG DUNKD. BergkampJ. HeynckesF. Bene251
12. IndnycR. LewandowskiF. LampardRui Costa188
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. Koeman96

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. Kubala111

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I wondered when Kubala would go. He was like 3rd or 4th on my list for the first round itself.
It's the hope that kills: literally a pick away. Didn't go for him initially because he doesn't seem rated on here at all relative to his status. Him going at the end of the third round being further testament to that.

Had planned to use that lack of regard to my benefit, and was just a pick away from it working out. Damn you, two!

Krankl, Kubala, Finney was my initial front 3. Not because I should be able to land them all, but because they're players I expected to slip the net (particularly Kubala), irony being they should all be first round picks in a draft like this, well, perhaps not Krankl as he's much more unknown than the other two.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Heart sank when i hit refresh. Like grasping a handful of refined salt. Just slipped away in the night
You'll never get used to the feeling no matter how many draft games you play :lol: .

And I still can't get my head around how Vogts is in this draft! :lol:
Yup me neither. I'd assumed that he'd won a couple of drafts by now, let alone one but nope.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Mr. Blanchflower and Mr. Bremner

Thanks for picking Kubala or I would have been forced to go WM.

@Himannv

Edit: Well done on picking Hulshoff so early. Certainly a tier 1 player as far as this draft is concerned

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You'll never get used to the feeling no matter how many draft games you play :lol: .

Yup me neither. I'd assumed that he'd won a couple of drafts by now, let alone one but nope.
Tis fair enough if he gets crossed off early enough for you not to get it into your head he's actually coming your way, but just a pick away!

re. Vogts. I got here late (was actually my turn to pick in the first round) so scanning through what had gone on and who the block list included, I did 3 checks to make sure there hadn't been some kind of collective brain fart that somehow nobody but me could see. :lol:

Bonkers to think in the eleventy billion drafts there's been, he's never won one! O.o

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol: Just to rub it in, we hadn't even discussed him until yesterday as we were prioritising other positions for our previous picks and I just assumed he'd be long gone by this stage.
:lol: i fell asleep waiting for my pick and woke up and pretty much hit refresh straight away, so was too tired and sleepy-eyed to curse you two out loud, but so close!

Round 4

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. KubalaE. Francescoli116
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. CerezoA. HaanU. Hoeness567
15. HimannvK. KeeganK. DalglishB. HulshoffH. Szymaniak 159
16. GodShaveTheQueenK. HamrinO. SivoriD. BlanchflowerB. Bremner22

Think this is it, but please check your time gents.

Jim Beam

Easily a first round pick. Nice.
Cheers... As opposed to Kubala we seriously considered him from the start and among the first 2 picks. My comment about pitiful choices last night was tongue in cheek as there were about half of players picked in round 3 at that point that would fit the team.

In the end, quite happy how it turned out. Although, tbf this draft reminds me of "Stars and reserves draft" without big names and where every team was really close and tough to separate

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Cheers... As opposed to Kubala we seriously considered him from the start and among the first 2 picks. My comment about pitiful choices last night was tongue in cheek as there were about half of players picked in round 3 at that point that would fit the team.

In the end, quite happy how it turned out. Although, tbf this draft reminds me of "Stars and reserves draft" without big names and where every team was really close and tough to separate
-_-

Don't make me swear at you, Jim.

You've got two great picks who shouldn't have been on the board by the 3rd round, even by the end of the 1st, you could fairly argue.

Francescoli wasn't gonna last another round, and Kubala definitely wasn't gonna. Had the Uruguayan pencilled rather than penned because his time was obviously nigh if not picked during the last go round.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

10. SirScholesS. AgueroTostaoJ. Terry688
12. IndnycR. LewandowskiF. LampardRui CostaG. Gattuso200
13. Pat_Mustard & Jim BeamMarceloR. KoemanL. KubalaE. Francescoli116
14. FortitudeT. FinneyT. CerezoA. HaanU. Hoeness567
15. HimannvK. KeeganK. DalglishB. HulshoffH. Szymaniak159
16. GodShaveTheQueenK. HamrinO. SivoriD. BlanchflowerB. Bremner22

@BIG DUNK

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fantastic pick. Seriously underrated!
Cheers. Certainly not complaining. With the brothers mischief going ahead of me, I'm kind of had my path chosen for me, in some respects. :lol:

I legitimately had him, Francescoli and an as yet unpicked player as the next pick, knowing full well whoever I go with very probably wipes the other guys off the board as I seriously doubt Mr. Unpicked comes back round to me.

Happy, nonetheless, as his ability and versatility open up possibilities.

BIG DUNK

Tank
My next all-time legend, many consider as the greatest goalkeeper of all time: LEV YASHIN.

The Ballon d’Or winner will be a vital piece in how I want my team to play. Welcome to the team.

“Yashin revolutionised the role of goalkeeper like no other before him, by always being ready to act as an extra defender and by starting dangerous counter-attacks with his positioning and quick throws.”

“Lev Yashin was first-class, a real super goalkeeper. His positional play was excellent, but everything he did was top-class. He was the model for goalkeeping for the next 10 to 15 years, without a doubt. I visualised myself doing some of the things he was doing, even though I was already playing in the top division I used to learn from him." - Gordon Banks

“Yashin was "the peerless goalkeeper of the century."” - Eusebio

“Someone once said that a team with Pele started a game with a 1-0 lead. A team with Yashin started winning 2-0.” - Pelé

“The fans always called Yashin by his first name. To them, he was one of them, like a brother or a friend. He used to walk home from matches with masses of fans – he’d let them carry his sports bag.”

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Didn't watch a lot of Germany and Bayern from 70's, but from what I watched Uli surprised me the most. All over the pitch, stamina, aggression, very good technique. Reminded me of peak Rooney in some way (which is 2006-2009 for me).

There you go @Fortitude, it was a blessing in disguise. You're welcome.

Erm... @Invictus is Yashin an oversight, as in a name that was meant to be on the list, but never got round to? Can't be right?
Nope, probably the greatest GK never won a draft.

Enigma_87

You know who
Erm... @Invictus is Yashin an oversight, as in a name that was meant to be on the list, but never got round to? Can't be right?
Not an oversight, wondered when he will go. Much alike AdS and Vogts it's really odd that they haven't won a draft considering how often they are picked.