The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Anyone else been listening to this?

Really really liking this album. Still have to figure out what the singer is on about and the meaning of it all, but the sound is excellent.

Cina

Yeah, constantly, it's one of the best albums I've heard in years. Under the Pressure is a glorious track.

amolbhatia50k

Suffering is brilliant.

There are some similarities in their sound to Kurt Vile. Unsurprising given he was part of the band. But their sound is "happier" I guess.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Only just seen this thread, love this album.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I was digging it right away, but got distracted by some shiny object.

I'll have to get back into it...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've had trouble exploring the album as I tend to put one of the first two tracks on repeat for extensive periods.

Finally starting to make it as far as Eyes to the Wind regularly, and pleased with the results.

amolbhatia50k

I've had trouble exploring the album as I tend to put one of the first two tracks on repeat for extensive periods.

Finally starting to make it as far as Eyes to the Wind regularly, and pleased with the results.
To be fair, the first four songs are on a completely different level to the rest of the album. It's a steep downhill slop from there IMO.

Still, a brilliant album all the same. First I used to listen to Red Eyes and Suffering repeatedly, now I'm preferring Under the Pressure and especially Ocean Between the Waves.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Superb album. Great sound, original and unique. Red Eyes is my favourite song from it.

Nickosaur

Love it. Check out kurt viles 'wakin on a pretty daze' from 2013 if you haven't already, another great album.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
To be fair, the first four songs are on a completely different level to the rest of the album. It's a steep downhill slop from there IMO.

Still, a brilliant album all the same. First I used to listen to Red Eyes and Suffering repeatedly, now I'm preferring Under the Pressure and especially Ocean Between the Waves.
Agree with all of that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Love it. Check out kurt viles 'wakin on a pretty daze' from 2013 if you haven't already, another great album.
Yep, though I think I prefer the album before that, Smoke Ring For My Halo.

amolbhatia50k

We have similar taste. Love both those albums. Probably my favorite albums of 2013 and 2014 respectively. Oddly enough vile was part of this band earlier.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Just been giving this album a listen, at first thoughts it's excellent. Best of 2014? Probably. My personal favourite is Red Eyes, great sound.
I'm not meaning to offend you or anything, but how can you decide that it's the best of 2014 after one listen? Just curious.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
I'm not meaning to offend you or anything, but how can you decide that it's the best of 2014 after one listen? Just curious.
I've heard most of the songs a few times but it was the first time I'd listened to the whole album. I'll obviously have to listen more before I conclusively say it's my favourite of last year.

nemanja nemagic

Love Kurt Vile but couldn't get into this. Think I'm having the same problem that some posters have described above, enjoy the first one or two songs very much but can't get past them. Will give it another crack tomorrow

amolbhatia50k

L
Love Kurt Vile but couldn't get into this. Think I'm having the same problem that some posters have described above, enjoy the first one or two songs very much but can't get past them. Will give it another crack tomorrow
You didn't like the other songs or didnt hear them?

amolbhatia50k

Just on first listen they're not as engaging as the first couple. But as with Kurt Vile's albums if I persevere I'll probably be rewarded
I personally found "Wakin on a Pretty Daze" more consistent than this one, and probably a better album overall. This one's peaks are higher I reckon (other than the title track of Vile's which I just frickin' love).

odinnh

Album of the year, saw them at Iceland Airwaves in November, last show on the tour, live performance is amazing, Adam Granduciel managed to put what he thinks into this album, Kurt Vile and Adam Granduciel are best friends and Kurt vile plays guitar on some of the tracks.

Also Comin through on there album Future Weather and Baby Missiles on Slave Ambient are also great tracks, think Kurt Vile plays on both of the electric guitar!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
New album out, liking what I've listened to so far.

RedRoach

Incredible album. In some ways better than Lost in a Dream. They really are one of the best bands around at the moment

Kearnkoff69

New album is incredible. I was a little lukewarm on "Pain" as a single, and at first "Up All Night" was a weird song to hear at the start of the album (in my mind I guess I was expecting something like "Under Pressure" or "Red Eyes"). Having given it a few listens now, the album does feel very cohesive and even the songs that I wasn't sold on upon first listen have opened up and really revealed so many little details that has pushed the album up into contention with Lost in a Dream as their best yet.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
it's so damn good, I think maybe a better overall album than LITD despite not having standout tracks like Red Eyes or Under the Pressure.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
New album is out next month! The title track was released a few days ago and it doesn't disappoint:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Probably my favourite band of the last decade. Last two albums were amazing so looking forward to this. Planning to go see them in Dublin next year too.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Lost in the dream is in my top 3 favourite albums to listen through