Music The Weeknd

Iron Stove

Anyone listen to their much hyped House of Balloons mixtape?

Personally I'm not a huge RnB fan, but I find this mixtape to be absolutely brilliant. Bit like a mix between Burial and Drake. Beautifully melancholic and dark though some critics have blasted it for.. I don't know.. not being R Kelly?

A couple of tracks from the mixtape:

Can't stop listening to this ATM.

GingerPrince11

pure awesomeness, I am not a big fan of R&B either, but this mixtape is pretty good and is more than just typical R&B, but has a more modern, indie-electronica sound.

Iron Stove

pure awesomeness, I am not a big fan of R&B either, but this mixtape is pretty good and is more than just typical R&B, but has a more modern, indie-electronica sound.
Couldn't agree more. I worry a bit that when then they get big they will dump the darkness and become bland for the big audiences. If that happens I'm sure we'll see a five page Weeknd thread on here though!

Cheers for proving that there's sanity on the caf after all! :D

GingerPrince11

have you listened to Frank Ocean's "Nostalgia, ULTRA", I didn't find it as good as house of balloons, but the guy's pretty talented, and is more of a R&B album.

Iron Stove

Yeah, I think Frank Ocean is good too, a mate of mine is always going on about him, although it's perhaps not as great as this. As you say it's more traditional R&B but still with a twist.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I blatantly thought I had started a thread on this, turns out I haven't even posted in here!

Song from the second mixtape "Thursday" leaked today called The Birds Pt.1 - it's a proper tune go look for it

Iron Stove

Since there's a Frank Ocean thread, this should be bumped again.

And HoB is better than Thurday.
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed. Much more of a mainstream sound than HoB although there are still a couple of decent tunes on there.

GingerPrince11

The thing with Thursday, is that I only really appreciated it after listening to it a few times, where I liked House of Balloons from the get go.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
The thing with Thursday, is that I only really appreciated it after listening to it a few times, where I liked House of Balloons from the get go.
Same here.

Looking forward to an album. Excellent music when you're feeling relaxed.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
The Morning is one of the best tunes I've heard in a long while.

Easy V

PSA: The new mixtape is out.
Just started listening to it and that Dirty Diana cover is immense. He sounds so much like MJ it's unreal, but he puts his own style on the song. Great tribute and cover.

GE

Only listened to couple tracks so far. Pretty good.

Listening to 'Coming Down' as I type #Swag

letranger0

My early impression of Echoes of Silence is that, D.D. aside, it doesn't hit the same highs Thursday did (my favourites are The Birds Parts 1 and 2, and Thursday) but is perhaps more consistent overall.

In hindsight releasing three mixtapes in a year might have been a little too ambitious and Tesfaye might have been better off taking the strongest parts of Thursday and Echoes of Silence and releasing them as one mixtape, resulting in one exceptional mixtape and one really strong one, instead of one exceptional one and too merely good ones.

Nevertheless, The Weeknd has certainly been one of the biggest music-related positives of my year and if not for Destroyer's Kaputt, House of Balloons would be my album of they year. There are also about a half dozen, if not more, songs on these three mixtapes that have strong claims for my top 10 songs of the year list, and without thinking about it too much it's probably a coinflip between The Morning and Suicide Demo for Kara Walker by the aforementioned Destroyer to see who wins the prestigious letranger0 Song of the Year award.

Easy V

It's not as good as House of Balloons, but I don't think anybody was expectng that. It's not far off though, and I prefer it to Thursday, although I've probably not listened to that one as much as the others yet.

D.D., Montreal, XO/The Host, Initiation and The Fall are all great tunes. Can't wait to see what he gives us next year, the kid is ridiculously consistent.

Easy V

Been listening to this all day and it just gets better with every listen. Only tracks that aren't gripping me completely just yet are "Outside" and "Same Old Song", but everything else is brilliant. It's right up there with House of Balloons for me, and I'd say "D.D." and "XO/The Host" especially are as good as anything on that record. The second half of "XO/The Host", when it slows down, is probably the best thing he's done for my money.

GingerPrince11

I found e.o.s. as good as better than Thursday, Thursday was difficult to really appreciate until a few listens. Nothing will be better than house of ballons, that just blew me away.

He supposed rejected a 7 million offer, don't know from who, but could be interscope.

Iron Stove

House of Ballons was just ridiculously good and hard to ever live up to. But after listening to it a couple of times I know I prefer EOS to Thursday. DD, XO / The Host, Initiation, The Fall are all great songs.

Especially like the earlier leaked track "Initiation". Looking past just how fecking dark a tune it is, this production is simply top notch.

Which brings me to the question.. I remember reading when HOB came out that The Weeknd was a group project with Tesfaye and two other guys, but now it seems like it's his solo project. So does he produce his own music or is there some master producer in the background?

Still wish he made more tunes with that electronic HOB feel.

GE

Love the new Wiz Khalifa track he's featured on. Pity Wiz had to ruin it.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Won the Alan Slaight award last night as the Canadian rising star of the year making global impact in media. Personally, he's by a long distance my favourite artist. Its nice to see also that he has done everything his own way and is making a huge name for himself world wide. He's incredibly different and yet people are taking to it in a big way. I don't agree with everything he stands for (drugs and debauchery for example) but I think he has a huge future in the music industry.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Also he is creating the entire soundtrack for "Fifty Shades of Gray" which I couldn't care less about but its a very big project for a rising Canadian artist.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Didn't want to create a new thread because this one, albeit an old one, already exists. Starboy's out in November, two singles out, Starboy with DP and False Alarm (can be found here: http://hiphop-n-more.com/2016/09/the-weeknd-false-alarm-new-song/)

What do you guys think? Both tracks are great for me. Mind you that my interest with Abel started with BBTM so I don't know how much his style changed in comparison with his older shit but I like where this is going.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Can't stop listening to the Jim Carrey spoken word track at the end of his new album. Unreal.

Last edited: