Television The Wire

Alex

what episode are you on alex? I have 4 and 5 on my laptop and will probably watch them tonight.
Episodes 50-55 so far(they come out a week early on HBO OnDemand so I usually stay up past midnight on Sunday night and watch them then because I can't wait), so six the tensions keeps building

zain

Believe
Dear god, I just went on the IMDB comments for The Wire..
and ALL I could hear from everyone was "It is the best tv Series ever.."

Seriously guys, I'm huge on TV, but not seen a single episode of this, but can't stop hearing about the hype?

My question, is it really THAT good?
Just to give you an idea about my taste in TV...

I love 24, Boston Legal, Entourage, House, Grey's Anatomy, Californication, Shark, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office (UK AND US), Ed, E.R, Extras, Rules of Engagement.. (BAsically seen every single episode ever aired of the above shows and then some)

Now from what I hear The Wire is just still on another level compared to any other TV Shows...
Before I begin watching it though...
I need to ask, AM i setting myself up for a major dissapointment? Cause from the comments I'm really excited about the way this one's being talked about.

And yes..I am willing to sit through a few couple of dry/slow episodes initially if it means I'm going to be throughouly entertained?

Alex

The Dickensian Aspect is another great episode.

"Tell Marlow he ain't got the heart to face me" -Omar

And Zain it is a must watch, this season(5) and three have been my favorites, but all of them are excellent.

5(if it can deliver the last half of the season)>3>1>4>2

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
S5 is building up nicely. Though they are going a bit too heroish with Omar.

So far my preference list is 3>4>=1>>>2

crappycraperson

Scout
Dear god, I just went on the IMDB comments for The Wire..
and ALL I could hear from everyone was "It is the best tv Series ever.."

Seriously guys, I'm huge on TV, but not seen a single episode of this, but can't stop hearing about the hype?

My question, is it really THAT good?
Just to give you an idea about my taste in TV...

I love 24, Boston Legal, Entourage, House, Grey's Anatomy, Californication, Shark, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office (UK AND US), Ed, E.R, Extras, Rules of Engagement.. (BAsically seen every single episode ever aired of the above shows and then some)

Now from what I hear The Wire is just still on another level compared to any other TV Shows...
Before I begin watching it though...
I need to ask, AM i setting myself up for a major dissapointment? Cause from the comments I'm really excited about the way this one's being talked about.

And yes..I am willing to sit through a few couple of dry/slow episodes initially if it means I'm going to be throughouly entertained?
It's not for everyone actually.

For starters it is not a quick fix. You won't get the same level of satisfaction after every episode like after House. Though the dialogues are brilliant. S1 to start with and S2 throughout are very slow. Till you develop some sort of connection with characters, a lot of episodes could feel dull to you.

It is best described as a visual novel. Any information, any character you see in any episode plays his role somewhere down the line. It's easily the best written show ever.

Sam Atherton

"They rested their balls on our chins and bru
It's not for everyone actually.

For starters it is not a quick fix. You won't get the same level of satisfaction after every episode like after House. Though the dialogues are brilliant. S1 to start with and S2 throughout are very slow. Till you develop some sort of connection with characters, a lot of episodes could feel dull to you.

It is best described as a visual novel. Any information, any character you see in any episode plays his role somewhere down the line. It's easily the best written show ever.
Sopranos

Alex

S5 is building up nicely. Though they are going a bit too heroish with Omar.

So far my preference list is 3>4>=1>>>2
I do agree, season was the worst by far still brought in a couple of huge characters, and really just showed what a shit hole Baltimore from the working white man's perspective(which really isn't touched on in other seasons(save through the cops). I liked it still thouhg

Alex

The Sopranos had better characters than the Wire imo, but the Wire probably better written(very very debatable). You have to pay attention to every minute of every episode or you will miss a major plot line, this usually didn t happen with The Sopranos. Although if I had to pick one I would go with the Sopranos, thank feck I get to choose both!

zain

Believe
well...just to let you guys know my opinion of the show....

Since you guys suggested it to me..

I started watching season 1, went through the first 2/3 episodes and was thinking " what the feck is wrong with these fellas at the cafe, this is the most boring pile of shit i've seen in ages, and I'm struggling to find a way to keep myself up.."

Then I watched a little more, and a little more just to still see what the fuss is about and if it really is worth all the hype..

Now i'm on the 4th episode of Season 3...
feckING LOVE IT..One of the best shows I've seen I've got to admit..
Have to say this, it's written brilliantly..Best part about it..It's clever and really real. It doesn't treat the viewer like a dumb feck..
Love how they've portrayed Baltimore..

Characters of Omar, and Bubbles are awesome.. And the duo of Greggs and Carver so far has been well done..

Omar testifying in the court in the 2nd season has to be one of the funniest moments I've seen....

I thought this show would be too mature, boring, and non-superficial for me..
I was well wrong...

crappycraperson

Scout
well...just to let you guys know my opinion of the show....

Since you guys suggested it to me..

I started watching season 1, went through the first 2/3 episodes and was thinking " what the feck is wrong with these fellas at the cafe, this is the most boring pile of shit i've seen in ages, and I'm struggling to find a way to keep myself up.."

Then I watched a little more, and a little more just to still see what the fuss is about and if it really is worth all the hype..

Now i'm on the 4th episode of Season 3...
feckING LOVE IT..One of the best shows I've seen I've got to admit..
Have to say this, it's written brilliantly..Best part about it..It's clever and really real. It doesn't treat the viewer like a dumb feck..
Love how they've portrayed Baltimore..

Characters of Omar, and Bubbles are awesome.. And the duo of Greggs and Carver so far has been well done..

Omar testifying in the court in the 2nd season has to be one of the funniest moments I've seen....

I thought this show would be too mature, boring, and non-superficial for me..
I was well wrong...
Same with everyone. You just have to persist with this show.

Sam Atherton

"They rested their balls on our chins and bru
The Sopranos had better characters than the Wire imo, but the Wire probably better written(very very debatable). You have to pay attention to every minute of every episode or you will miss a major plot line, this usually didn t happen with The Sopranos. Although if I had to pick one I would go with the Sopranos, thank feck I get to choose both!
Indeed

crappycraperson

Scout
Exactly. He seems to have become larger than life, the very thing the show was avoiding in the first place. I liked it when he was simply an unlikely anti-hero.
I think they may just be building him up like because he is going to be killed soon.

Series finale is supposed to 90 mins long, I am going to jizz myself while watching it.

68-99-08

Lent the first series of one of my mates cause he raved bout it. On epsidoe 5 atm. Good TV but its not something I want to stay glued to and watch the next episode like I did when I started watchin Prison Break. When will the show hit its peak and I will love it during the 1st series?

crappycraperson

Scout
Lent the first series of one of my mates cause he raved bout it. On epsidoe 5 atm. Good TV but its not something I want to stay glued to and watch the next episode like I did when I started watchin Prison Break. When will the show hit its peak and I will love it during the 1st series?
First series will hits its peak at episode 10 I think and will remain strong till the end of the series.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
Sheer lunacy.

I watched and enjoyed both but the wire is superior by some distance. Especially if you want to categorise by character quality. the level of depth within each of the main characters within the wire is never reached by the sopranos save toni.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
People who bang on about The Wire are fecking boring.

Nearly as bad as muppets who post in threads they are not interested in.

Duh! :houllier:

68-99-08

I like the way theres no bad guy or good guy in the wire because you get an insight into both camps views etc. When Keema got shot in series one I was like 'Oh feck' but I wasnt saying to myself 'they better kill those bastards whoever shot her'. You kinda want them to get away with it but at the same time you're following the case and how McNulty etc are trying to get them.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
the wire is obviously a different kind of show than these joke shows like prison break and 24, where every end of the episode you're left on a cliffhanger, keeping you on the edge of your seat wanting to know what happens next.

the wire is slower in plot progression, like someone said it's a visual novel, not a 6 season long action movie like 24. i felt the same way when i started watching it, but after watching a season to the end, you can appreciate all the stuff that happens in the preceding episodes and say "ohh, no wonder this happened, etc."

francobaresi

My bird bought me Series 1 and 2 on DVD for Valentines Day gift.

I've never seen it and can't wait to get stuck in (the dvds I mean)

Suresh

Successfully neg-repped Bury Red and all I got was
I probably made it sound that way. It's actually about the lives of four young boys amidst a backdrop of the usual drugs, violence and corrupt politics. Elaborating further would definitely spoil your viewing pleasure. You'll just have to trust your judgement that "It is the wire".

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I didn't get into The Wire the first time round but gave it another go and due to a Wire fest, have got caught up & just finished watching season 4.

I've got the first 6 episodes of season 5 downloaded and IMO it's a great series!

Alex

Going up skiing and watching episode 8 when I get back, Omar is Robin Hood

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Him and the guy who plays Bubbles are fantastic actors, just fantastic

Very true.

Andre Royo plays Bubbles to perfection and is in a new film due out later this year called The Mercy Man which I have heard good things about.

Alex

The funny thing about Omar is that he is gay, but goes against all the stereotypes and along with Avon Barksdale is probably the biggest bad ass on the show

"I ain't about the money. It's about me messing with Marlow's world" -Omar, what a fecking line, and scene but I am not gonna spoil it for ya

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
The showdown in episode 11 of season 3 between Omar and Brother Mouzone is fantastic.

That said, I don't rate Brother Mouzone as a character, don't believe him at all.
Very true, whereas I do believe Omar, gayness and all. I love the whistling too, reckon it's a nod to the Charles Bronson character in Once Upon A Time In The West.

Andre Royo plays Bubbles to perfection and is in a new film due out later this year called The Mercy Man which I have heard good things about.
Cheers Marching, will check that out

D J Dog Toffee

The showdown in episode 11 of season 3 between Omar and Brother Mouzone is fantastic.

That said, I don't rate Brother Mouzone as a character, don't believe him at all.
Very true, whereas I do believe Omar, gayness and all. I love the whistling too, reckon it's a nod to the Charles Bronson character in Once Upon A Time In The West.

Cheers Marching, will check that out
Quite possibly, as I also thought that the scene in which these two square off in the alley, was shot and presented as a western style standoff.

Like the wild-west updated..

crappycraperson

Scout
You are the peak right now Plech, I remember watching the whole of S3 in 2 days. Does not mean it would go downhill. S4 holds up till mid way and then slips off a bit in the end.

Plechazunga

Quite possibly, as I also thought that the scene in which these two square off in the alley, was shot and presented as a western style standoff.

Like the wild-west updated..
Yeah absolutely

You are the peak right now Plech, I remember watching the whole of S3 in 2 days. Does not mean it would go downhill. S4 holds up till mid way and then slips off a bit in the end.
I did season 3 in about a week, which is a lot of telly for me

VP

Right I'm downloading the first season. This better be good cnutos.

Plechazunga

It's brilliant. Stick with it after ep 1, which is much more formulaic cop-show style than most. I wasn't at all convinced, but now all I really want to do with my life is watch, or at least talk about, the Wire.