There’s a feeling of inevitability about Ole losing his job

Number32

In January 2016, Leicester's fans said: "We just accomplish 40 points to avoid relegation." They set the standard so low, and never thought to win the league. 80% of these players struggled to stay in the Premier League in pervious season, so that's how you should set your standard.

We're 3rd last season, but we all knew we were miles behind City and Liverpool. Adding quality to the squad is the only way to close the gap, but the boards didn't deliver to fund the quality players that we need.

The player's quality carries your standard and expectation. It's weird when you set your standard so high just because "We're a Man United, We have to challenge for the title" things, that's so arrogant and deluded.

Micky Targaryen

I think Ole was always bought in to steady the ship, get rid of the deadwood and bring in 'United' players. The unexpected thing for the board was that he did pretty well, got us back in the champions league and his record in big games has been pretty decent. So they had to keep him

But I think that results have started to plateau and combined been with the number off the field incidents our players seem to be getting in to, it's made a hard job even harder when you aren't winning regualrly or playing a consistently pleasing brand of football. He's not been able to put a full strength squad out until the last couple weeks and maybe he will get it together now he has everyone available for selection and go on one of his trademark runs. However, if he doesnt and we arent in contention for top 4 by Christmas, I think he will be gone.
You literally just mentioned the 3 things on the Caf that gives me the hardest cringe. Include in "Rebuild", and I'll be logging our of the Caf for a month. :houllier:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How to keep your job 101

Ask for some absurd thing. Cry you're not given tool if you fail.

Saf didnt always get what he wanted, never used that as an excuse.
Did you pluck that from "Jose book of excuses"?

I'm sure Ole never complained about not signing a player, if anything he is too timid and doesn't talk about missed targets, always praising his squad.

It's hilarious how the roles are reversed, just couple of years ago it was Jose fans with "He didn't get the player x y z" "players are midtable and that's the best we can expect from this team". Now it's Ole fans who comes up with same excuses but it's Jose fans who talks about actual coaching and tactics.

Last edited:

Water Melon

SAF was literally the one who run the club. He had a big saying in all matters, probably apart from the transfer budget. Now it's Ed.

I don't defend Ole here but it's not fair comparing SAF to other managers after him. SAF, due to his successes had a very unique role at the club in his time. Now the manager is actually just a head coach. Agreed it's probably still the biggest role but imo comparing that to SAF's role is totally irrelevant.
I am talking about the mentality to win things and the drive to make impossible possible. Also, if Ole shows that he can be relied on winning big things regularly, he will have much more control imo. He needs to earn that trust first, and prove that he can improve both who he has and who he buys.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In January 2016, Leicester's fans said: "We just accomplish 40 points to avoid relegation." They set the standard so low, and never thought to win the league. 80% of these players struggled to stay in the Premier League in pervious season, so that's how you should set your standard.

We're 3rd last season, but we all knew we were miles behind City and Liverpool. Adding quality to the squad is the only way to close the gap, but the boards didn't deliver to fund the quality players that we need.

The player's quality carries your standard and expectation. It's weird when you set your standard so high just because "We're a Man United, We have to challenge for the title" things, that's so arrogant and deluded.
But we have quality players. Lots of quality players. It's not because "we're Manchester United", but because the likes of Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, VDB, Bruno, Maguire, AWB and Telles are all Manchester United players.

And no one is out there demanding the title this season. We're just saying that there is little excuse for wild inconsistency in form. Sure we can point to the current environment affecting things and this certainly is a factor - however when the likes of say, Villa/Spurs/Leicester are coping much better than we are, it's only fair to ponder what the feck is going on with us.

Strelok

I am talking about the mentality to win things and the drive to make impossible possible. Also, if Ole shows that he can be relied on winning big things regularly, he will have much more control imo. He needs to earn that trust first, and prove that he can improve both who he has and who he buys.
I see your point but that's a bit too much to ask imo.

As in any other job, when you're expected to make impossible things possible and the safety of your job is judged on that, well basically you're in trouble. As any other job, you should be judged only on making possible things possible. Anymore than that should be considered as a bonus I think.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Nothing to do with being entitled little brats just because we don't win every game.

We have no divine right to win, period.
Its not that we want to be winning silverwares. Actually most United fans will accept some semblance of tactical consistency, a squad that is sum of larger than its individual parts and being a bit bullish at home against inferior opponents.
After that we can take it to somewhere. This stupid tactics depending on individual brilliances to win games and full on counter attack tactics with every single opponent is just not working.
I understand clearly the haalands and sancho will hardly take risks to come play for him but the man has to do better with our superior scouting system in the transfer markets too.
Dont you tell me crystal palaces and arsenal chelsea have better man to man than us.

Gabagoo

Either sack him now and get someone with a bit of steel (I feel Solskjaer is far too nice with "the lads") or let him do his job until the end of the season and reassess then.

Water Melon

I see your point but that's a bit too much to ask imo.

As in any other job, when you're expected to make impossible things possible and the safety of your job is judged on that, well basically you're in trouble. As any other job, you should be judged only on making possible things possible. Anymore than that should be considered as a bonus I think.
I do not wanna go into polemics, but basically the idea is that some people accomplish things which seem to be impossible, but they do. I doubt anybody out there thought that what SAF will do in 20 years is possible, but he did. Much like Zidane owning the CL for 3 years in a row. Long story short, we need to have the very best of the best managers out there.

Roane

Either sack him now and get someone with a bit of steel (I feel Solskjaer is far too nice with "the lads") or let him do his job until the end of the season and reassess then.
I am beginning to wonder if the problem for Ole is his love for the club.

You have mentioned Ole being far too nice and it's something I have thought about. Especially when reading or hearing things about the club.

I sometimes get the feeling that Ole gets things done to him rather than by him.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This always get brandished about yet, no one knows what goes on behind the scenes. Ole is far from being 'too nice'

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer isn't afraid to shed his baby-faced assassin image in the dressing room and tell his Manchester United players that they've not been good enough.

Ashley Young has revealed that Solskjaer has a "horrible side" that most people don't see, a trait the club captain believes is invaluable as manager of United.

The Norwegian has a reputation as a friendly face to many United fans, but those inside the changing room know differently, according to Young, comparing the steely streak inside him to that of Sir Alex Ferguson .

"A lot of people in the press still see him as the baby-faced assassin. But it was like I said before, when he arrived it was like the boss [Sir Alex Ferguson] had walked back through the door," he said.

"When he gets down the business, it's serious. At times in the dressing room, he's had to lose it, and I think that's right when things aren't going well. You need to be told that.

"He's got a nice side and a horrible side, which I feel you need. A lot is said about managers, but it's down to the players at the end of the day."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-ashley-young-solskjaer-17376795

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I do not wanna go into polemics, but basically the idea is that some people accomplish things which seem to be impossible, but they do. I doubt anybody out there thought that what SAF will do in 20 years is possible, but he did. Much like Zidane owning the CL for 3 years in a row. Long story short, we need to have the very best of the best managers out there.
That shouldn't be the expectation, "make impossible things happen". It's great if it happens, but don't lean on it. You'll exhaust all the managerial options out there then.

Strelok

I get the idea.

Still, if our fans continue to keep those unreasonable and unrealistic expectations, no manager would last a year. And you just set yourself for disappointment. That's all.

OleTheGreat

I for once think Ole will keep the job until the summer. The players will fight for him and we'll see an improvement post the international break. I like that he thinks nobody is bigger than the club itself and even our most expensive player Pogba is seated on the bench if he doesn't perform. I am a huge fan of Pogba and have been so from his Juve days because I thought Sir Alex let him go at the wrong time but he's been very bad for a long time now and I haven't seen any kind of commitment from him. I could understand under Jose because he was played alongside some ridiculous players like Fellaini in midfield but a good player will make the best out of the situation he's in. But since Ole has taken over Pogba has had better midfielders and he's yet to perform with full commitment. I think he should either get his basics right or get lost to Madrid (that's how mad I am). Ole has been good but his online tactics will improve on the job. He needs time and more quality players.