There’s a feeling of inevitability about Ole losing his job

romufc

I understand, it's logical.

But don't tell me that's a winner mentality, it's not.
Ofcourse not, we do not have the winning mentality, you cannot win 2 lose 2 and say you have the winning mentality.

Winning mentality only comes from winning titles or winning game after game, we have only ever won 4 PL games in a row under Ole. Winning mentality would be winning 10 on the bounce.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ofcourse not, we do not have the winning mentality, you cannot win 2 lose 2 and say you have the winning mentality.

Winning mentality only comes from winning titles or winning game after game, we have only ever won 4 PL games in a row under Ole. Winning mentality would be winning 10 on the bounce.
Can't be right surely?!

GazTheLegend

Threads like these are kind of embarassing.

Imagine if Ole or anyone associated with Manchester United football club came on Redcafe and this was the first thing they saw.

romufc

Threads like these are kind of embarassing.

Imagine if Ole or anyone associated with Manchester United football club came on Redcafe and this was the first thing they saw.
Imagine thinking Manutd is a big club and spend millions on players and managers wages and see the fans not 100% confident that we will beat WBA at home.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
You have zero idea of what happens behind closed doors, why bother making things up and focus on the fact what we see is often utter crap.
Absolutely! This should be one of the first rules of RedCafe . So much conjecture and guesswork going on. Fans seem to pick up bad habits from lazy journalists - it's difficult to have effective discussion when people are inventing their own reality in the absence of facts.

youngrell

We're Man Utd and supposedly the biggest club in England, we should be challenging for the title at least in any managers 2nd year. If we had proper owners then they should be expecting the manager to be challenging for the top after 2 years in charge, not flirting with maybe we will make top 4. Ole hasnt improved us one bit position wise from where we were this time last season. I would give him until December and if we are no closer to the top then we should be looking at another manager.
So no matter the current state of the playing squad, or what part of their development the players are at, we should be challenging for the title on name alone?

If this is the bar, then pretty much any manager we get in is doomed to fail.

wolvored

So no matter the current state of the playing squad, or what part of their development the players are at, we should be challenging for the title on name alone?

If this is the bar, then pretty much any manager we get in is doomed to fail.
No I mean we shouldnt have been this far away anyway, and to say were supposed to be the biggest club it a disgrace. If we had have had Abromovich or the City lot buy us instead of the Glazers for example we would never have been in this position in the first placewhere hoping we can get into the top 4 is deemed as acceptable.

youngrell

No I mean we shouldnt have been this far away anyway, and to say were supposed to be the biggest club it a disgrace. If we had have had Abromovich or the City lot buy us instead of the Glazers for example we would never have been in this position in the first placewhere hoping we can get into the top 4 is deemed as acceptable.
That's fair enough.

I think part of the problem is the expectancy, though. It's clear we are around the 3rd/4th best team in the league at the moment, so to expect much more than that is silly. We are all super frustrated at how the club has been run over the past decade or so, but for the first time in a long time the club seems to be moving forward with a cohesive plan and hopefully Ole can deliver the correct results so we do not stray away from that plan too much and start over again and again and again. Otherwise we are in for an even longer wait for success.

shabz

I think Ole was always bought in to steady the ship, get rid of the deadwood and bring in 'United' players. The unexpected thing for the board was that he did pretty well, got us back in the champions league and his record in big games has been pretty decent. So they had to keep him

But I think that results have started to plateau and combined been with the number off the field incidents our players seem to be getting in to, it's made a hard job even harder when you aren't winning regualrly or playing a consistently pleasing brand of football. He's not been able to put a full strength squad out until the last couple weeks and maybe he will get it together now he has everyone available for selection and go on one of his trademark runs. However, if he doesnt and we arent in contention for top 4 by Christmas, I think he will be gone.

Gasolin

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...De Gea has said,the Premier League's top four.

Rashford said that during that winning streak, he has felt something special, that only Ole was able to explain. Why? Because he also was a successful player who has won winning streaks.

Gasolin

Why not focus on how low the team was with Jose, and how we are setting up the direction? Ole is 3rd best on pts in the league since he took over, only Klopp and Pep are above. It says a real story, the real big picture. We are still in contention and we can still close the gap seriously if we focus on improving the little individual errors that cost us that much. But structurally, we are very well set up. There is progress, there is clear indication on what each player is supposed to do in our system. This is a credit for Ole. And throwing all of that away for whoever comes in is not the right answer if we have decided to change and focus on getting back to the top. It doesn't happen overnight. It happens, once you've been focusing on the underlying matters.

Dr. StrangeHate

No he will still be at least £108mill and maybe even more. That ship has sailed as that kid Traore will be here for the RW.
That ship has sailed like you say. But Dortmund overplayed their hand and got burnt. They will be lucky to get the 90 mill we offered. He will likely go for 70-80 mill next year. Hopefully we won't go in for him again in Jan for 90 mill. Will be a worse waste of money than Maguire.

ScarleyUtd

Why not focus on how low the team was with Jose, and how we are setting up the direction? Ole is 3rd best on pts in the league since he took over, only Klopp and Pep are above. It says a real story, the real big picture. We are still in contention and we can still close the gap seriously if we focus on improving the little individual errors that cost us that much. But structurally, we are very well set up. There is progress, there is clear indication on what each player is supposed to do in our system. This is a credit for Ole. And throwing all of that away for whoever comes in is not the right answer if we have decided to change and focus on getting back to the top. It doesn't happen overnight. It happens, once you've been focusing on the underlying matters.
Exactly, he inherited a complete mess. Not helped by all the short-termism that went on before. Despite some severe ups and downs it's clear he's having to rebuild in all sorts of areas.

Needham

It will happen. It's just a question of which reporter will inform him.

Will Singh

I find Jose actually cared about having a winning mentality, hence he pushed his players hard.

Ole on the other hand are too chitty chatty with first name basis, players like Pogba aren't giving him any respect. It won't be long before Bruno got pissed and starts to take matters into his own hand.
I have no doubt Jose had a winning mentality but on he’s quest he pushed players under the bus which caused the environmental I talk about.

I agree with you that Ole has not been shown respect but that’s he’s own fault and definitely as a manager he has treat the players like he’s the boss and not like he’s mates.

I remember Mourinho Pogba situation and can see players doing the same with Ole as it’s obvious to see some players giving it there all and others just not pulling there weight!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I have no doubt Jose had a winning mentality but on he’s quest he pushed players under the bus which caused the environmental I talk about.

I agree with you that Ole has not been shown respect but that’s he’s own fault and definitely as a manager he has treat the players like he’s the boss and not like he’s mates.

I remember Mourinho Pogba situation and can see players doing the same with Ole as it’s obvious to see some players giving it there all and others just not pulling there weight!
In my own humble opinion, sometimes you can't win all the fight. There were times and times again SAF just decided a player is beyond salvage and cut them loose (Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, Beckham)

Pogba has been a constant malaise in our team, his head isn't just in the right direction. The manager has to decide to feck him off, or bench him, or some other more escalating drastic measure because whatever we're doing it's not working. You'll either play your hearts out, or you don't play. This is my beef with Ole, he has no guts to gut Pogba, and stick by it. He should told him it's his way or the highway, and if he ended up being on the losing side then so be it.

Without Pogba you might lose some firepower (actually not, we played much better than him), but a short term pain of benching Pogba would send a long term message to every player that he's a manager that means business.

alexthelion

We're Man Utd and supposedly the biggest club in England, we should be challenging for the title at least in any managers 2nd year. If we had proper owners then they should be expecting the manager to be challenging for the top after 2 years in charge, not flirting with maybe we will make top 4. Ole hasnt improved us one bit position wise from where we were this time last season. I would give him until December and if we are no closer to the top then we should be looking at another manager.
Rubbish. Just because we're Man United doesn't give us the right to win anything, it's an unrealistic expectation.

alexthelion

Who, apart from Pogba?

Seems to me that all the others are playing for him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
In my own humble opinion, sometimes you can't win all the fight. There were times and times again SAF just decided a player is beyond salvage and cut them loose (Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, Beckham)

Pogba has been a constant malaise in our team, his head isn't just in the right direction. The manager has to decide to feck him off, or bench him, or some other more escalating drastic measure because whatever we're doing it's not working. You'll either play your hearts out, or you don't play. This is my beef with Ole, he has no guts to gut Pogba, and stick by it. He should told him it's his way or the highway, and if he ended up being on the losing side then so be it.

Without Pogba you might lose some firepower (actually not, we played much better than him), but a short term pain of benching Pogba would send a long term message to every player that he's a manager that means business.
All the myths about Pogba giving us firepower and that his defensive liability is worth the creativity/productivity have been debunked ever since Bruno joined.

It was so easy to defend Pogba when he had a beef with Jose due to Jose's personality brought so much gloom and doom that made people dislike him. But there were some truths in his actions/comments. Pogba may not be a virus but he has been a luxury in the team. I don't think the current Utd squad could afford to accomodate him. If we had 2012/2013 squad it could be a different story. Ole sees this, there is no way he doesn't.

He did the same thing with Lingard. He trusts certain players more than the other.

Last edited:

Roane

Rubbish. Just because we're Man United doesn't give us the right to win anything, it's an unrealistic expectation.
Whilst I agree with your sentiment, my issue isn't about winning the league (or even trophies tbh).

I just want to see a clear plan and decent performances, even when we lose.

I personally would accept 6-10 if our performances were better. I almost wish 3rd place hadn't happened.

It was clearly a rebuild appointing Ole and a lower league finish with a clearer plan and maybe signings if we hadn't got top 4 and better performances and I would have been happy enough.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Ole has dropped Pogba and I think that's a gut to drop your 290k p/w player.

The issue is that any manager who hasn't work with Pogba for more than 1 full year will think he is a world class player. In my opinion if there is a manager who will move him on next summer it'll be Ole. New manager will think Pogba is world class and try to find a way to make it work with him until he realises it won't work in here just like Ole and Mourinho. And I don't want that to happen again. I'm saying this because I think Pogba's issue is not the manager but his mentality which what prevent him to perform consistent enough and I don't see him improving his mentality as footballer as he's no longer at the age to develop that mentality.

romufc

Weird how these fans who say we need to be challenging for the league, we are Manutd are showing so much energy towards the manager.

If you really mean the "we are Manutd, we should challenge for the title" why are they so against the manager? Wasn't it the board who hired Ole? Did the board not know he hasn't won a major trophy in a top league?

Did the board back the manager to win the title? No CDM, No CB, no RW.

I understand criticising the manager for poor performances but saying we are manutd we should never aim for top 4? Maybe direct your energy towards the right people.

Chairman Steve

Said at least a half a dozen times elsewhere but whatever....

He’s not the guy who’ll win the trophies. He’s potentially the guy who cleared the way for a more talented guy to come in and get the glory. I really cannot see a man who spent a decade in Norwegian football and failed massively in his one venture outside of Norway, is suddenly going to win major honours at the highest level. I don’t think theres ever been a manager who’s made that significant of a leap and been successful.

What hes doing currently has the potential to be lauded in the future a while after he leaves.

I‘ll say that under him (and maybe the clubs convoluted hierarchy have a big part in this too) the club is fading out the marquee figures that are too disruptive like Sanchez and Lukaku, as well as names that just don’t belong here like Fellaini, Young and Jones (not even eligible to play league games now). Phase Pogba from the squad and I think we’re left with a squad that most of the good managers we want, would like to manage as there’s no massive figures in there who hold sufficient clout to rock the boat. A lot of these transfers that have happened under him seem safe, obvious and low risk like Maguire, AWB and James (price was low for James), and then you get Bruno who they probably should have signed last summer but ended up getting him in January (god knows if that meant reduced price in January compared to summer or they weren’t sure in the summer), then DVDB and Telles coming in for lowish prices (especially Telles). Pellistri and Diallo making up as kids who could potentially be awesome or at worst can sell them later for some money back. Cavani whilst a marquee name, on a year contract only with an option for a second year. They’re all players who you can’t really see causing trouble for a potential new manager.

I get the feeling OGS’ ultimate goal as manager is buy all the obvious good players and just brute force through everyone with individual magic, especially when Grealish and Sancho seemed to be his only focus. Problem is that approach is REALLY expensive plus there’s no guarantee they’d live up to the price tag anyway like Veron, Berbatov and looking more likely now, a certain Paul Pogba.

Beaucoup

Weird how these fans who say we need to be challenging for the league, we are Manutd are showing so much energy towards the manager.

If you really mean the "we are Manutd, we should challenge for the title" why are they so against the manager? Wasn't it the board who hired Ole? Did the board not know he hasn't won a major trophy in a top league?

Did the board back the manager to win the title? No CDM, No CB, no RW.

I understand criticising the manager for poor performances but saying we are manutd we should never aim for top 4? Maybe direct your energy towards the right people.
You could give Ole a CDM, CB, and a RW and he still wouldn't be close to winning the league. He's simply not good enough.

romufc

You could give Ole a CDM, CB, and a RW and he still wouldn't be close to winning the league. He's simply not good enough.
You don't really know that though. No one gave him top 4 chance and he got it.

I am not saying he will win the league but why are we showing so much energy at a manager that we all knew when he got the job after Paris, will not win us the league.

As a manager, you do not say no to the manutd job, lets be serious now. You have the self belief and confidence you can change things and win stuff, otherwise you dont get the job.

The failure is not Ole's its the people giving him the job.

For example, if you hire a building contractor who has never done a job, why complain if he does not build you something that you need?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It would have improved our performances.

Even if its players by themselves who have to self manage themselves on the pitch as many fans seem to say we do-

We can see that we dont have a CDM that enables a freedom of attacking minded CM like Bruno and Pogba to play together (Zakaria)

Our CB is not good enough and also requires a double pivot of energetic midfielders to play to provide defensive cover in front of them. (Upamecano, Pau torres)

We hardly have any creativity from our wider players are all forwards. (Grealish Sancho)

Say what you want about Ole but the progress as a squad was halted unnecessarily whether we would win the title or not.

wolvored

Read the rest of it. I said if we had proper owners. Proper owners who had have invested properley in the club from 2005 onwards we wouldnt be in this position. What other big club in their league never make the top 2-3 every year?

Slik

Ole is here and will still be here come end of the season. Channel your energy into supporting the team.

Statue of Limitations

I don't think so really.
Objectively we have played our best stuff under Ole post SAF.

We can be downright unplayable at times.

Overall it's a strange moment, Pool losing 7-2 yet favourites for a top 2 finish shows everything can happen in this league.

If we build on what we have and swat the smaller teams away like we used to do so routinely we will be well on our way to challenging.

We beat PSG away (twice) and iirc Ole has a winning record v Pep.

Our downfall is not bringing the intensity with enough frequency v the bottom 12 sides or so.

The foundations for an Ole dynasty is there but he does need to breed more consistency into the squad.

Gasolin

I don't think so really.
Objectively we have played our best stuff under Ole post SAF.

We can be downright unplayable at times.

Overall it's a strange moment, Pool losing 7-2 yet favourites for a top 2 finish shows everything can happen in this league.

If we build on what we have and swat the smaller teams away like we used to do so routinely we will be well on our way to challenging.

We beat PSG away (twice) and iirc Ole has a winning record v Pep.

Our downfall is not bringing the intensity with enough frequency v the bottom 12 sides or so.

The foundations for an Ole dynasty is there but he does need to breed more consistency into the squad.
This for me sums it up. We have a chance, we just need to stay close to the top for the 1st half. 2nd half, we will be flying.

Gasolin

It would have improved our performances.

Even if its players by themselves who have to self manage themselves on the pitch as many fans seem to say we do-

We can see that we dont have a CDM that enables a freedom of attacking minded CM like Bruno and Pogba to play together (Zakaria)

Our CB is not good enough and also requires a double pivot of energetic midfielders to play to provide defensive cover in front of them. (Upamecano, Pau torres)

We hardly have any creativity from our wider players are all forwards. (Grealish Sancho)

Say what you want about Ole but the progress as a squad was halted unnecessarily whether we would win the title or not.
Yeah I can see this point. Just a player who can combine Fred and Scott into one (as it seems to take time to improve them both into that 6 role to replace Matic long term) is going to give us the ability to put in Pogba or Vdm along with Bruno. That changes everything in term of offensive phases.

Then a RW who is naturally providing width and is not afraid to challenge his full back so that we keep the opposition stretched is going to give us space in the middle to combine. Then Pogba, Bruno, VdB, Mata, and even Rashford, Martial will all thrive into that system as we are now much more focused on combining and that's how Ole wants us to play.

A CB is less of a priority for me in that kind of system really. Because we will have so much time on the ball + we are structurally designed to counter press anyway.

Maybe this Diallo dude in Jan will be like Bruno. The whole team is currently ready to welcome him. Once he comes in, we blast every single team in the league and in Europe!!! Until then, we hang tight close to the top of the league and we try to qualify in the CL (that should be OK still).

alexthelion

Yep, let's be content with top 4 for ever and drop our standards to rock bottom.
Nothing to do with being entitled little brats just because we don't win every game.

We have no divine right to win, period.

passing-wind

Nothing to do with being entitled little brats just because we don't win every game.

That's partially true that's why there's a word called ambition. I'm not knocking Solskjaer but what ambition does he show to win anything significant ? The longer Ole is here the less he can use time as an excuse.

I think the overall panoramic view of why Solskjaer is seen as eventually being sacked is because he seems to have a managerial ceiling. Contrast it to someone like Zidane who took the Madrid situation by storm we are given some context. I know people love to downplay his achievements, but how many experienced managers took over Real and underachieved with the players.

The reality is different managers have different levels of capacity. Solskjaer will likely be outdone by a successor pending the glazers target the right attributes.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

No club has divine right to win but the biggest club in UK and one of the biggest clubs in the world with top 3 in revenue should be aiming for titles every year or at least challenge for titles.

Water Melon

No club has divine right to win but the biggest club in UK and one of the biggest clubs in the world with top 3 in revenue should be aiming for titles every year or at least challenge for titles.
Flipping this x 1000. We seem to forget what SAF's mission was and he flipping achieved it, made an extremely unrealistic dream come true. Dropping expectations is bad, we have all the resources to be successful and a manager plays the most important role in turning us back into a winning machine.

Strelok

Flipping this x 1000. We seem to forget what SAF's mission was and he flipping achieved it, made an extremely unrealistic dream come true. Dropping expectations is bad, we have all the resources to be successful and a manager plays the most important role in turning us back into a winning machine.
SAF was literally the one who run the club. He had a big saying in all matters, probably apart from the transfer budget. Now it's Ed.

I don't defend Ole here but it's not fair comparing SAF to other managers after him. SAF, due to his successes had a very unique role at the club in his time. Now the manager is actually just a head coach. Agreed it's probably still the biggest role but imo comparing that to SAF's role is totally irrelevant.