These drink breaks...

PoTMS

Bit fecking stupid, ain't it? We lost all momentum after building up a bit of steam after both drink breaks midway through the half. I understand it is a fitness thing but both teams are permitted 5 substitutions which is half the team and it's not exactly like it's 30 degrees out. Ridiculous. Why is it mandatory?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Absolutely pointless.

If it's boiling hot fair enough, but yeah, ridiculous.

Also if they are going to insist on doing it, the watch should be stopped.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Bit fecking stupid, ain't it? We lost all momentum after building up a bit of steam after both drink breaks midway through the half. I understand it is a fitness thing but we have 5 substitutions allowed which is half the team and it's not exactly like it's 30 degrees out.
Hopefully these will be phased out after another round or two of matches.

MDFC Manager

The first half break completely killed our momentum for sure. I'm not saying we'd have definitely scored, but it took a long time to regain the momentum after it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think it’s a fairly reasonable concern that after such a long time of not playing games that muscle injuries will be more likely and hydration will help with that.

ShinjiNinja26

Yep, pointless. Understandable in really hot weather but it’s the fecking UK hardy Qatar. All it does is kill momentum for whichever team is unlucky enough to have the ball at the time.

pascell

We were controlling the game before the first drinks break and just didn't switch on after it. Unless it's humid and 20+ degrees, there shouldn't be a drinks break.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Loved how this thing, extra subs, 2 pen incidents and var checks added up to 1 more minute added time than usual, as well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Players haven't played in three months. Think about their health.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I don't like it but I can understand it's not like the start of a fresh season when they have had a pre season. I don't think they really need it but at least stop the clock.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I doubt we concede that first goal if there's no break. Both came at bad times for us really.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Extended break with no warm up matches. The drink breaks are vital.

forevrared

Makes some sense in MLS as we play through the summer and there are games where its 100°F and it's just dangerously hot. The high in London today was 65°F and the game started at 8pm anyway. :houllier:

Red00012

Water breaks in Manchester next Wednesday night. Badly needed

OldTrevil

They're are awful and only understandable in extreme heat conditions

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Is no need for them unless we get a heatwave, they had 3 weeks of training to get up to speed.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Just let them carry these in their pockets and have them eat it. No need to stop the match.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
I don't see the problem with it. They're just trying to protect the players as much as they can during this period. Games are coming thick and fast after a long lay off from football so it's understandable.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Probably happening now so we don't act surprised when it happens in Qatar?

I hope that's it, and not some kind of shifting into the US sports system where they have a break every 5 minutes to give more space to ads.

Annoying as feck.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Literally have all come whilst we’re building momentum.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
fecking everywhere and any time they’re using them now. I keep turning over to other games to keep the action flowing and now in the wolves/Bournemouth game there’s two players down injured for Bournemouth and both teams having drinks at 40mins, I presume they had one before at the 25min mark aswell.

RUCK4444

They have to stop! It’s killing our momentum and giving oppo managers the chance to coach their side.
To limit its impact I would have them drink on the opposite side of the dugout so at least they can’t have a feckin team talk every 15 minutes!

neverdie

I hope that's it, and not some kind of shifting into the US sports system where they have a break every 5 minutes to give more space to ads.
They've been trying their best to ruin the sport by getting it as close to this as they possibly can. Between this, the empty stadiums, VAR, and twenty substitutes a piece, I think they may have succeeded.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I don't see a problem with it when it's the first day of the year. My issue is that it's standard. Why not adjust based on weather conditions.

The fact that we've lost momentum in both matches shouldn't be used as criticism. That's on us not the drinks break.

Based Adnan

I don't see a problem with it when it's the first day of the year. My issue is that it's standard. Why not adjust based on weather conditions.

The fact that we've lost momentum in both matches shouldn't be used as criticism. That's on us not the drinks break.
This. It's clearly needed today as it's baking but the fact there was a drinks break on a dark rainy night at 10pm vs Spurs was a joke.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm more triggered that officials arent adding on enough time for them.

How hard is it to stop the clock like in rugby then extra time can be used as it is normally for Injuries, subs.

ROFLUTION

Gateway for NFL like commercialbreaks next season.

It might be okay for the first couple of games, but a team should be near the same form a normal season starts with after 2-4 games.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Needs to be adjusted to stop managers and their staff holding additional team-talks IMHO; if they are drink breaks then that should be all the players' do - drink.

Staff can have their say at half-time or from the sideline during play as normal; everything else takes too long.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Gateway for NFL like commercialbreaks next season.

It might be okay for the first couple of games, but a team should be near the same form a normal season starts with after 2-4 games.
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see this happening. They couldn't justify having drinks breaks after 20 minutes in November/December. Also, I think once fans area able to attend games, they're going to want it to feel as normal as possible.

United Hobbit

I could possibly understand yesterday as it was hot but its making the game very stop start

I've not watched many games bar ours but it seems to cause us especially to lose momentum. I'd like to think they wont keep doing it but presumably we play short practice matches in training if I was coaching I'd start adding in a pause in each "half" to try and get the players better at regaining the momentum

ROFLUTION

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see this happening. They couldn't justify having drinks breaks after 20 minutes in November/December. Also, I think once fans area able to attend games, they're going to want it to feel as normal as possible.
Well if it happens permanently, I Hope fans boo the shit out of their lungs before and after the waterbreak, to get it removed again.