Thiago Alcântara | 2016/17 Performances

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Is it safe to say he's the best midfielder in football? He's been absolutely dominant this season & has one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've ever seen.

Womp

idiot
Probably the most entertaining midfielder to watch, but I wouldn't say the best.

RooneyLegend

He is among them, wouldn't say he's the outright leader. Hard to find a better midfielder than Verratti though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Moyes you fecking idiot!! :mad:

Paxi

Be grateful, we got Fellainho!

That summer transfer window was a shambles. Remember the whole 'Woody is returning from Australia on urgent transfer business'? Ffs.. We ended up paying more for Fellaini than his release clause anyway. The less things said about that summer the better.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What is it with Moyes now? Pep came in, said he wants him, got him. Hardly got shit to do with Moyes or Woodward.

Paxi

What is it with Moyes now? Pep came in, said he wants him, got him. Hardly got shit to do with Moyes or Woodward.

No it wasn't like that. We were about to sign him them Moyes vetoed the deal. Giggs said so.

Hojoon

I'd say it's only this season where he's been among the best. The likes of Modric, Vidal, and Kroos have done it for a longer time.

Kostur

海尔的老板
No it wasn't like that. We were about to sign him them Moyes vetoed the deal. Giggs said so.
What? Pretty sure that Pep got appointed, said he wants Alcantara in some presser and shit got down.

I mean, there's plenty of other stuff to throw shit at Moyes for but I doubt failing to sign Thiago is one.

dichinero

That summer transfer window was a shambles. Remember the whole 'Woody is returning from Australia on urgent transfer business'? Ffs.. We ended up paying more for Fellaini than his release clause anyway. The less things said about that summer the better.
That summer did not exist, mate. What are you on about?

dichinero

What? Pretty sure that Pep got appointed, said he wants Alcantara in some presser and shit got down.

I mean, there's plenty of other stuff to throw shit at Moyes for but I doubt failing to sign Thiago is one.
This was weeks after we were faffing about.

dichinero

This was weeks after we were faffing about.

RooneyLegend

Love Verrati, but currently I'm not sure he is better. He is much younger though. Modric's dribbling and agility really sets him apart from most midfielders, and then he has that extra grit about him as well.
I think technically he's better than Modric and is a better passer. He's not lacking in the grit department as well. Veratti is the only player in the world that can play in the sort of spaces he can.

Paxi

Yeah no probs, something didn't click in there for me. That window was absolute shambles though indeed.

If you listen to that interview - the whole thing is a fecking joke, anyway! Phil Neville and Ryan Giggs think he's hasn't got the attitude to play for United. Jesus how arrogant could you get? The fella had few injuries, granted, but he's been ripping it up for Munich and I'm sure he'd be doing it here too.

Paxi

Yeah no probs, something didn't click in there for me. That window was absolute shambles though indeed.

Yeah I just think in general our transfer dealing were amateurish at best. Imagine thinking Thiago isn't a United player? How did Giggs and Neville come to that conclusion?

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No doubt that he's a good player, but from what i've seen he still loses some balls in dangerous positions because of risky stuff instead of playing it safe. Furthermore in my view he comes across as a bit too cocky and isn't effective enough to build your team around him. On top of that is his vulnerability to injuries. So i agree with Giggs that Thiago isn't a United type of player. I take Pogba ahead of him any day of the week.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If you listen to that interview - the whole thing is a fecking joke, anyway! Phil Neville and Ryan Giggs think he's hasn't got the attitude to play for United. Jesus how arrogant could you get? The fella had few injuries, granted, but he's been ripping it up for Munich and I'm sure he'd be doing it here too.
It's pretty much why both of them are currently where they are, as in blessing us with their wisdom on telly rather than picking up some managerial gig in the Premier League just fecking anywhere.

Paxi

No doubt that he's a good player, but from what i've seen he still loses some balls in dangerous positions because of risky stuff instead of playing it safe. Furthermore in my view he comes across as a bit too cocky and isn't effective enough to build your team around him. On top of that is his vulnerability to injuries. So i agree with Giggs that Thiago isn't a United type of player. I take Pogba ahead of him any day of the week.

Really? I don't watch Thiago every week, but anytime I've seen him, he's been largely superb. Also, what's wrong with that, nothing wrong with a flair player. I thought Man Utd liked their swashbuckling players?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seeing as it's a hot topic in the Kante/Herrera debates, Thiago's interceptions stat is crazy. Bayern fans, is there any reason why they're so high?

League only;
Kante: 61
Herrera: 67
Thiago: 94 :D

Paxi

Does anyone see similarities between Thiago and our Pereira?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Sorry! It wasn't Moyes. It was Giggs apparently who didn't want Thiago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zd7w3
There's nothing in there that makes that sound remotely credible. There's no corroborating evidence that we ever got that far along with Thiago, it seems incredibly unlikely that Moyes would decide against Thiago purely on Giggs' say-so, and as he's relaying this story from an unknown source it sounds like he's making it up on the spot filled with clichés.

I don't think we were in with a chance when Guardiola came along. Could've been a huge signing for us as he's undoubtedly a world class talent but it's possible he would've had a miserable, injury-hit couple of seasons and then move onwards after. Bayern were in a much more stable position and that no doubt helped get through a difficult settling in period.

Paxi

There's nothing in there that makes that sound remotely credible. There's no corroborating evidence that we ever got that far along with Thiago, it seems incredibly unlikely that Moyes would decide against Thiago purely on Giggs' say-so, and as he's relaying this story from an unknown source it sounds like he's making it up on the spot filled with clichés.

From what I remember Graham Hunter was heavily insistent that Thiago was on his way. He was reporting that he agreed wages, so you could say the deal was there in principle, if you choose to believe to Hunter. Something must have happened for us not to sign him as Odna Cero reported that Bayern were going to come in for him one evening and a day later he was pretty much a Bayern player. I would say we were definitely in for him but something went wrong along the lines. Whether it was Giggs, Moyes or Woodward I don't think we will know.

Edit: Completely agree we had no chance once Pep came in for him. Considering their relationship at Barca, but we did have a window of opportunity to sign him, nevertheless.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Seeing as it's a hot topic in the Kante/Herrera debates, Thiago's interceptions stat is crazy. Bayern fans, is there any reason why they're so high?

League only;
Kante: 61
Herrera: 67
Thiago: 94 :D
He's just very good at reading and anticipating the game. Definitely the most pleasant surprise of the season. I was very skeptical whether he could finally live up to his promise before the start of this season, but there's no doubt he's been delivering the goods and then some.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Most naturally talented footballer since Messi.

Revan

Assumptionman
I've predicted him being the best midfielder in the world when he was just a kid at Barca, and was fuming when we didn't sign him. Saying that, he had 3 relatively difficult years at Bayern, struggling with injuries and form. He is playing the best football of his career this season, and is arguably the best performing midfielder in the world now. I think that he is going to be even better.

Barca made a terrible choice when they chose Cesc instead of him. Alcantara was already the better player back then too.

Revan

Assumptionman
I love Pogba and think that he is great and will become fantastic, but bar being stronger and having a slightly better shoot, Thiago is better than Pogba in pretty much everything. Passing, dribbling, reading the game, defensive contribution are all categories when Thiago is better than Pogba.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Furthermore in my view he comes across as a bit too cocky and isn't effective enough to build your team around him.
FWIW, our current team is completely built around him. There are 3 players we cannot afford to lose without suffering an immediate drop in quality: Neuer, Thiago and Lewandowski.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No. There isn't a clear standout at the moment - Modric and Kroos from Madrid, Verratti, Kante (maybe, although a completely different specimen), Thiago are all around the same level. Even Pogba is not that far behind
Pleased for him though. He was my most sacred muppet dream, Xavi's dominance with Ronaldinho's flair :drool: Or at least he seemed that way earlier :lol: Fecking Moyes/Giggs if we believe the rumors

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
No. There isn't a clear standout at the moment - Modric and Kroos from Madrid, Verratti, Kante, Thiago are all around the same level.
Eh, what's that woodcutter doing in the same line as the artists you named there?:lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Eh, what's that woodcutter doing in the same line as the artists you named there?:lol:
You quoted me before I had the chance to edit. He is a strange one and a completely different player to them, of course, but he also assures his authority over the game, just using different tools.

Maybe it's too early for him to be included as he haven't been tested outside the premier league yet