Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingshe7don

Yes, but a) players like him are not going to come to us knowing they are back ups and probably won’t start if everyone is fit, and b) we finished 33 points behind Liverpool (closer to Watford and Bournemouth than the champions) - we should not be thinking about buying squad players, we should be buying players to improve the first team.
He played the No. 6 role. Why would he be a backup to Matic? He's got tremendous passing range like what Pogba possesses. He could also fill in for No. 8 whenever Pogba and Bruno need a rest. Seems like a no brainer to let him go to Pool. However, if we plan on going in for Van De Beek, I can see us not being interested.

Silas

Not even one hint of interest from us? Shame.
Great player but I'm not convinced we should sign him because of his age (not to mention his wages). Would be a short term signing which is generally not what Ole is about.

Are there younger options available?
With Garner coming through, it would make sense though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not even one hint of interest from us? Shame.
I expect we have spoken to his agent but he’s got his eyes set on a title challenge this year given his age.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Be interesting to see what happens with Wijnaldum if this goes through.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He'd be an awesome addition no doubt, but "really needs him"? That's quite an exaggeration, our team as it is doesn't really need anyone to challenge again next season, and it's not like he's an investment for the future. We have 7-8 players to challenge for 3 midfield spots, that's enough barring a serious injury crisis.

We should rather be thinking 2-3 years ahead and find some young players capable of challenging our front three for a place in our starting XI, but either i) they're way too expensive for us or ii) unwilling to sit on the bench to wait for our current front three's downfall.
I think you definitely lack a player who excels in tight spaces. The way Klopp utilized Gündogan at Dortmund also gives me high hopes for Thiago. The player is also quite a bargain and you'll benefit from him for at least 4 years I'd say. Players of his build, style and position usually last quite long, see Modric, Iniesta, Xavi, Cazorla, etc.

How about us, we dont?
You do but so far I only heard of serious interest from Liverpool and City.

Also, I don't think Thiago would fit to Pogba and Bruno. Thiago is a patient player who likes to move the ball around the pitch a lot (90.5% passing accuracy) until his team finds a hole in the opponent's defense. Pogba and Bruno on the other hand are much quicker in their transition to vertical passes (84% and 76% passing accuracy). If Thiago wants to move the ball around and his two midfield partners play it up front the moment they spot a run instead, I fear he won't have many actions per game. Possession oriented players tend to thrive when you surround them with similarly minded players and the Liverpool midfield is much closer to that (Wijnaldum 91% passing accuracy, Keita 88%, Fabinho 87%).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would fecking hate it if Liverpool sign him. He'll take them up another level.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would fecking hate it if Liverpool sign him. He'll take them up another level.
They're already League and UCL holders, amassing 197(?) points over the last 2 seasons. What other level is there they can go to?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
They're already League and UCL holders, amassing 197(?) points over the last 2 seasons. What other level is there they can go to?
Their possession game is often very dull and ineffective. He'd be their best midfielder by far the moment he joins the squad.

Gopher Brown

He played the No. 6 role. Why would he be a backup to Matic? He's got tremendous passing range like what Pogba possesses. He could also fill in for No. 8 whenever Pogba and Bruno need a rest. Seems like a no brainer to let him go to Pool. However, if we plan on going in for Van De Beek, I can see us not being interested.
Okay, same question, why would he join knowing he was back-up to Pogba and/or Bruno? Same for van de Beek. If we want squad depth we either have to sign younger players, or better players than we already have so they push the current first choice down the pecking order.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Their possession game is often very dull and ineffective. He'd be their best midfielder by far the moment he joins the squad.
Right and? He's going to what turn those 2 games they lost into wins? Big deal

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The higher up you are, the smaller the margins get. Still, their midfield lacks a player of true class, and those 2 games might make the difference

Red00012

Didn’t Sky Sports say yesterday Liverpool aren’t in the market for him ?

Sigma

If you stand still you can go backwards. The signing may not increase the number of games they win, but it may allow them to win the same number of games as this season, which is likely to result in another league title.

Josep Dowling

Why are Bayern so happy to sell him cheap? €30m is nothing these days and many regard him as a top class player. Certainly very skilful.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Why are Bayern so happy to sell him cheap? €30m is nothing these days and many regard him as a top class player. Certainly very skilful.
Just an arbitrary number thrown in by our beloved "journalists".

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I’ll bet it won’t be far off of that number.
The further we make it into the tournament, the more he's gonna cost. If we win the thing and he shines, good luck getting him for 30m

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The further we make it into the tournament, the more he's gonna cost. If we win the thing and he shines, good luck getting him for 30m
:lol: Yeah okay. We'll see then.

The €30m fee that's requested for him now is quoted by every reliable journo out there so I just didn't understand why you had to be so sarcastic about it. It's certainly now just a toss in the air like you made it out to be. If he goes to Liverpool, it will be for around that much. And you won't find many teams for his liking that'll be willing to shell out €40m+ for him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: Yeah okay. We'll see then.

The €30m fee that's requested for him now is quoted by every reliable journo out there so I just didn't understand why you had to be so sarcastic about it. It's certainly now just a toss in the air like you made it out to be. If he goes to Liverpool, it will be for around that much. And you won't find many teams for his liking that'll be willing to shell out €40m+ for him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I've never been really convinced by Thiago. I think Liverpool would be smart to stay away and look for the next potential quality CM in his early/mid 20s with a good injury record.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
And just about every "reliable" told us how Sancho to Utd is basically a done deal. To quote Kalle:

"Wir werden, auch das habe ich schon gesagt, keinen 'Summer Sale' veranstalten
Selling off one of the top5 midfielders on this globe for 30m is pretty much fire sale territory. So yeah, I fully expect this to be around 40-45, which would still be far from outrageous for a player like him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If you stand still you can go backwards. The signing may not increase the number of games they win, but it may allow them to win the same number of games as this season, which is likely to result in another league title.
Yep. God forbid teams strengthen while they are at the top. Seems a foreign concept to some.

Also, teams need refreshing when they win as complacency sets in or other teams catch up to them/become familiar with the style etc.

hubbuh

Well it's a pretty big deal when you only lose a handful of games a season! If he allows them to compete more competitively in the League AND in Europe then it's an absolute no brainer. They completely crapped out of all cup competitions.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Be interesting to see what happens with Wijnaldum if this goes through.
You don't think against the lesser teams you will play him with Thiago alongside Fabinho?

Thiago - Fabinho - Wijnaldum

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You don't think against the lesser teams you will play him with Thiago alongside Fabinho?

Thiago - Fabinho - Wijnaldum
Don't think so. Henderson gets ahead of gini and on more recent form, so does keita. He'll be pushed out regularly if we also sign Thiago, I reckon. He's basically the more talented version of gini.

Gini hasn't signed a new contract and he seems to be the kind of player who won't be happy on the bench too regularly. I reckon he'll be off if this goes ahead.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don't think so. Henderson gets ahead of gini and on more recent form, so does keita. He'll be pushed out regularly if we also sign Thiago, I reckon. He's basically the more talented version of gini.

Gini hasn't signed a new contract and he seems to be the kind of player who won't be happy on the bench too regularly. I reckon he'll be off if this goes ahead.
Thiago is more of CM or deep midfielder not AM which is the slot where Henderson plays. I can't really see how midfield of Henderson - Fabinho - Thiago with no AM will provide benefits and improvement in your current midfield against the lesser teams.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Thiago is more of CM or deep midfielder not AM which is the slot where Henderson plays. I can't really see how midfield of Henderson - Fabinho - Thiago with no AM will provide benefits and improvement in your current midfield against the lesser teams.
Wijnaldum isn't really an AM for us either. If he can offer more penetrative passing than Wijnaldum, then he'll add something.

But I think the main attacking responsibility in midfield will fall on Keita whatever happens with Thiago and Wijnaldum. Especially given how poor Oxlaide Chamberlain looks after his year-long injury.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Wijnaldum isn't really an AM for us either. If he can offer more penetrative passing than Wijnaldum, then he'll add something.

But I think the main attacking responsibility in midfield will fall on Keita whatever happens with Thiago and Wijnaldum. Especially given how poor Oxlaide Chamberlain looks after his year-long injury.
But Wijnaldum is the one who often arrive late in the box or play more advanced in your midfield three, right? Neither Thiago & Henderson are the type of midfielder.

Josh 76

N

Not sure why Klopp is trying to fix something that isn't broken.
Thiago isn't comming to sit on the bench. This maybe their Veron signing.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
But Wijnaldum is the one who often arrive late in the box or play more advanced in your midfield three, right? Neither Thiago & Henderson are the type of midfielder.
That's the guy I've seen play for Netherlands, but it is more of an occasional thing in a red shirt (Barcelona).

Our Wijnaldum carries water. In a very classy and superbly press resistant way, it has to be said. But his midfield game for us is all about facilitating the transition from defense to attack moreso than actually supporting our attackers.

Henderson does a better job of supporting the front three with forward runs than gini. And he does a good job of it for the position he plays. We could do with someone next to him who can actually mix it up with the front three in tight spaces though.

Keita is that guy if he can stay injury free.

I think Klopp sees in Thiago an opportunity to upgrade wijnaldum and also change the midfield dynamic a little bit as well. I reckon he'll be asked to play more on the front foot than he's been used to at bayern.

poleglass red

to those that watch him, does he offer enough defensive cover in a mid along with Pogba and Fernandes. That's an issue we have even when Matic plays, teams who break from mid, we've no runners to track them. We rely on Matic's positioning which is very good but good teams will still pass that, when they do we don't have that runner in mid to get back and make a tackle. Does this lad offer that, I know from previous posts he's very good on the ball and that but I'm, just wondering what his defensive coverage is like.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
to those that watch him, does he offer enough defensive cover in a mid along with Pogba and Fernandes. That's an issue we have even when Matic plays, teams who break from mid, we've no runners to track them. We rely on Matic's positioning which is very good but good teams will still pass that, when they do we don't have that runner in mid to get back and make a tackle. Does this lad offer that, I know from previous posts he's very good on the ball and that but I'm, just wondering what his defensive coverage is like.
Thiagos defensive contribution is vastly underrated in my opinion. Going by the statistics (amount of tacklings and percentage won, interceptions, etc.) he is our best midfielder regarding the defense for several years now. He was also the best in those statistics when Vidal was still with us and Martinez was in better shape.

I love Thiago, for me he is probably the most complete (not the best!) midfielder around. He can do everything, win the ball, long passes, short passes, dribble past opponents, score goals...

If it wasn't for injuries I think he would be rated as equal to Xavi and Iniesta by now.

He is a terrific player on his day and just beautiful to watch at.
Additionally he is also a very likeable guy.

I will miss him a lot, even though we have his (probably already superior successor) in our squad with Kimmich.

Status
Not open for further replies.