Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can some top clubs not start a bidding war so the scouse don't pick him up on the cheap.

croadyman

Damn you Moyes if he had come here in 2013 there is no way he could have ever joined them afterwards

cptkeane1993

He’s a bargain, we should absolutely go for him so long as he’s not asking for insane wages.
He will be a great addition to the squad and being the winner that he is, will rub off that mentality on this young squad. Pogba might learn to be more press-resistant from him.

Can he only cover for Pogba, Fernandes or can he play the holding midfield role too?

eltigreFalcao

As much as dreamy signing this could be theres no way a potential treble winner will fancy coming to MU just on the back of half a good season

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
i love for us to sign him, just to hear the same excited people bitch and moan in January about how he was a giant waste of money and a has been on massive wages. You guys never learn.
The only player of such caliber that we've signed in a similar situation was Di Maria on the back of his CL final MotM performance. Falcao, Sanchez & Schweinsteiger were all on a decline and/or coming back from serious injuries. And Thiago doesn't have the same attitude issues as Di Maria.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How on Earth does a manager see his profile and say to himself — nah he’s not a united player. :houllier:

The fecking mind boggles.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I’m not convinced we’ll get him, he is absolutely outstanding though, even in this climate that fee is a bargain for a player of his quality.

RooneyLegend

Would be shocked if he does leave Bayern. If he does though, Woody has to be first in line.

RooneyLegend

He’s a bargain, we should absolutely go for him so long as he’s not asking for insane wages.
He will be a great addition to the squad and being the winner that he is, will rub off that mentality on this young squad. Pogba might learn to be more press-resistant from him.

Can he only cover for Pogba, Fernandes or can he play the holding midfield role too?
Pretty much played as a holding mid last night.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich

He turned down an offer in excess of 20m Euros per year before tax.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
How in the hell does this man go for 30 million? Has he got 1 month left on his contract or something?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
When he stays fit, he is the best midfielder in the world.
Let’s not get the hype overboard. He’s absolutely amazing no doubt but I don’t think he’s performed better than KDB the last few years.

jem

It actually occurred to me that Barca could do worse than luring back the academy product they should never have let go in the first place.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Let’s not get the hype overboard. He’s absolutely amazing no doubt but I don’t think he’s performed better than KDB the last few years.
He doesn't play the KdB role for us currently and hasn't for years, even before Müller found his killer form as CAM again. He has dropped back to a deeper Alonso/Schweinsteiger kind of position.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He doesn't play the KdB role for us currently and hasn't for years, even before Müller found his killer form as CAM again. He has dropped back to a deeper Alonso/Schweinsteiger kind of position.
Yeah I know. I replied to someone calling him "the best midfielder in the world". KDB is also a midfielder even though he plays a different position. If you're going by positions in midfield, I agree there aren't many, if at all, better players than Thiago in his role for you guys.

NK86

Sarcasm is for the weak. The next few years is going to be crucial for our young charges and they need to grow together, even if they are not that great. No point buying an excellent 30 year old, who meets all our needs if he is to halt their development like Sanchez did.
The massive difference there is that Scott is nowhere near the level of Rashford or Martial in his position to warrant not getting a world class player who will give us 3 years at the top of his game. Thiago ran rings around the Barca midfield, while McTominay struggled against Lask. The difference in quality is absolutely enormous.

We aren't getting him, by the looks of it. Of all the feck ups Moyes did, this one has to be right up there. The moron didn't give the go ahead for Thiago and we got stuck with bloody Fellaini.

Davie Moyes

He turned down an offer in excess of 20m Euros per year before tax.
I wonder if he's willing to accept less when going to Liverpool? Is turning down such a contract indicative of he definitely wants to leave or he wants even higher wages?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Are PSG interested in him? They could do with a midfielder like him. Really hope he doesn't sign for Liverpool (or City) as I think he'd be a brilliant signing for them.
Vague links :

I agree it would make sense for us.

GlasgowCeltic

Who are Bayern linked with to replace him?

Surely better to let him play out the end of his contract, doesn't seem worthwhile losing that level of player for a such a modest fee

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Surely better to let him play out the end of his contract, doesn't seem worthwhile losing that level of player for a such a modest fee
The idea is to play Kimmich and Goretzka in midfield together, I think.

E-mal

If we(United) could get him, Dayot and Sancho we will comfortably finish in top four and we had easily mount a title challenge only falling because of the inexperience of our attack.

We need to get these players if we can.

Revan

Assumptionman
If we(United) could get him, Dayot and Sancho we will comfortably finish in top four and we had easily mount a title challenge only falling because of the inexperience of our attack.

We need to get these players if we can.
Him and Sancho is a title-winning team. It would have by far the best midfield in the league, and likely the best attack.

Would be a dream!

E-mal

Him and Sancho is a title-winning team. It would have by far the best midfield in the league, and likely the best attack.

Would be a dream!
Problem is, I can't see us investing in a 29yr old after the Sanchez debacle.

Gerald G

We could sign Thiago and Partey for the price of Grealish... just saying.

I doubt we'd be Thiago's first choice but we should definitely be in for him. He seems too good to be on the bench and against lesser sides I would go with a midfield of:

Thiago
Pogba--Fernandes

We sometimes play a 3-4-1-2 against stronger sides. We could go with:

Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
AWB--Thiago--Pogba--Williams
Fernandes

or could even change formation to a midfield diamond:

Matic
Thiago--Pogba
Fernandes
(two up top)​

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Because he seems decided on leaving and will be a free agent next season. Getting a transfer fee this season is the best we can do under those circumstances.
Who have you got taking his place? Kind of irreplaceable right? Given how good your team is now, and that the only needed improvements are at centre back, I'd be tempted to keep him for this season and try and convince him to stay on.

29m for a player of his quality is a bit of a slap in the face.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich

Bayern prefers to get money for him now , rather than keep him one more year and let him leave for free because Thiago is actually not a set starter recently ( was injured and Kimmich + Goretzka has been amazing ) . Goretzka + Kimmich is Bayerns CM duo. Since Pavard is injured Kimmich plays RB again an made space for Thiago. Tolisso + 1 new CM as back up then I guess. Bayern could force him to say, but Bayern never did it to deserved players like Thiago who has been great personality on and off the pitch. When Thiago says he wants to leave ( and he did ) Bayern will let him go and find a fair solution for both sides.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Who have you got taking his place? Kind of irreplaceable right? Given how good your team is now, and that the only needed improvements are at centre back, I'd be tempted to keep him for this season and try and convince him to stay on.

29m for a player of his quality is a bit of a slap in the face.
His talent is rather irreplaceable, but not his function within the team. With Pavard fit and playing at RB, we would start Kimmich and Goretzka in DM, and the team as a unit will work almost the same. We'd obviously need someone new for the position, since Tolisso hasn't really made it here and is probably leaving too, so it would be smarter to take the transfer fee now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Seems to be the perfect player for us. Don't think he would want to come here so really hope he doesn't go to Liverpool.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His talent is rather irreplaceable, but not his function within the team. With Pavard fit and playing at RB, we would start Kimmich and Goretzka in DM, and the team as a unit will work almost the same. We'd obviously need someone new for the position, since Tolisso hasn't really made it here and is probably leaving too, so it would be smarter to take the transfer fee now.
Forgot about Kimmich returning to midfield, but won't you still lack a midfielder who dictates the game?

If he's off, I hope we at the very least register our interest and try to smooth talk him as much as possible. Both because I'd love him here and because I'd really hate to see him at Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.