Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Peril

They've won the club their first title in 30 years and won the Champions League. They also made terrific transfers and brought in one of the best if not the best manager in the world. I think they're doing just fine mate.
They struck gold with Klopp and that’s that. They did a really good job as opposed to Woodward’s Disneyworld-crap. If he refused them, Liverpool would now find themselves in 4th - 6th as usual with some knucklehead manager and shit players like Lovren still there.

GoldanoGraham

I'm not making this up myself as in a would-be scenario, this is based off of reports from Romano and other reliable journalists that he's dead set on joining Liverpool. Fine if you don't believe them but don't take it out on me if I do.

You're obviously not a second rate club but at the moment you are quite some distance away from challenging on all fronts like Liverpool should next season, so it's not hard to see (or believe) why he'd much prefer our project that's currently in full fruition compared to yours where he'd maybe have to wait until he's 31 before you might be challenging for the PL or CL again.

It's the same as with any employee. If I wanna join A but B is interested and I know they usually give better pay, I'm sure as hell gonna ask for a lot more if they want to really have me there.
Think you Liverpool fans in for a shock next season.....don’t think you will finish in top 2 places......start of last season and up to Feb they were outstanding - since then they’ve been very average - they definitely need Thiago - their midfield will not cut it next season - it definitely needs freshening up - that’s what Fergie always did - added new players to winning teams.

can’t wait to hear all the scouse excuses next season.....

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If we sign Thiago, Upamecano and Sancho this window (in addition to VDB), we may win the title this year already.
Yeah sure.

If we sign Messi Mbappe and Thiago, we may win it again next year too.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They struck gold with Klopp and that’s that. They did a really good job as opposed to Woodward’s Disneyworld-crap. If he refused them, Liverpool would now find themselves in 4th - 6th as usual with some knucklehead manager and shit players like Lovren still there.
They did more than just "striking gold" with Klopp. They knew their transfer committee was a bit shite and decided to create a sporting director role, organically promoting Michael Edwards which obviously had a big positive impact on future transfers. We have done feck all in that regard and will likely continue in this way.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Weird seeing this guy’s name at the top of the Caf again. This will end in tears same as last time.

cyberman

Think you Liverpool fans in for a shock next season.....don’t think you will finish in top 2 places......start of last season and up to Feb they were outstanding - since then they’ve been very average - they definitely need Thiago - their midfield will not cut it next season - it definitely needs freshening up - that’s what Fergie always did - added new players to winning teams.

I agree. The fact they already won the title covers a lot of flaws. They were creaking under the heavy schedule before the break and did not adapt well to it after. All of that is swept under the rug since you can put it down to completency but they had the title won since December and kept going so i dont buy it.
Next season is an outlier, teams with big squads will come out on top due to the insane schedule and Liverpool do not have that depth imo

red thru&thru

They hit the lottery with appointing Klopp, so give them credit for that if for nothing else. Apart from that they are definitely not anything special. They consider us as an investment, nothing more, they're more interested in the Red Sox than in Liverpool it seems, and if they're not giving the green light for signing one of the best midfielders in the world right now for a meager €30m then that's a big feck you to Klopp imo. It's not like they're short on cash because of Covid right now.
And this is almost opposite to us, where our owners have spent a decent wack but just been useless in hiring the correct people to do the footballing job.

Scholsey2004

City were streets ahead of Liverpool on goal difference and somehow ended up miles behind on points. I don't want to say Liverpool were lucky but it doesn't normally pan out that way.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I would take out the LCB for Sancho or Rashford and go for 3-4-3 diamond
Hendo/ DDG
AWB Maguire Shaw
Thiago
VDB Pogba
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial
That's a good suggestion. It's bold and it's attack minded which is good to see. It's a good way to fit four good midfieldes on the pitch and still have some width up front.

RUCK4444

Hendo/ DDG
AWB Maguire Shaw
Thiago
VDB Pogba
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial
Yeah I like that a lot. I would like to see us try that formation as it would get our best players on the pitch together.

Also think the midfield would have more options to link with each other and maintain a high press.

Crustanoid

Lets get some of these transfers in the bag before bigging up our chances. We have years of experience of our board cocking these things up. Would be awesome though if this trend changes now....

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Respect to United if they are trying to sign him

Thiago wouldn't come to sit on the bench and Donny van de Beek isn't coming to sit on the bench. Pogba and Bruno are obvious starters. What on earth is Ole planning? :lol:

........Rashford..............Martial..........
....................B.Fernandes..................
.........Pogba...............van de Beek....
.......................Thiago.........................
With attacking fullbacks providing width that would be a sexy line-up :cool:

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
If Liverpool are honestly hesitating because of the fee, I sincerely hope Thiago moves to United. Even at his age, 40-50m€ would be a fair price for easily one of the best midfielder in the world. Shame he wants a new challenge, I think replacing him is going to be quite a task, even though Goretzka has been outstanding and deserved his spot alongside Kimmich during the last few months. Klopp will be disappointed if they're losing him, he'd be a clear upgrade and is actually the midfielder Keita was supposed to become.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Those 3 are not “perfectly good midfielders” - unless by “perfect” you mean “good enough for top 4”. Thiago is head and shoulders better in every component of the game and will instantly improve our starting XI, let alone depth. Then, we may immediately sell any one of McTominay or Fred And recoup the transfer fee
The general gist of Thiago being better than the other two is apt, but there are clearly some facets he is not even close to par with them on, so it's not cut and shut one in one out if you want specific jobs done against specific opponents or types of player. McTominay and Fred are our only legs in midfield, Thiago coming in or not, doesn't alter that.

The latest news is that there has been dialogue between United and Thiago but the Spaniards wage demands are too high.
Said to @RobinLFC that he's not coming to England for cheap on his last big payday in Europe. £300k is what he's got to be aiming for to make it worthwhile, imo.

Don't think the personal terms are set in stone with LFC, why would they be? Someone comes in and offers you more, you'd be remiss not to present that figure to them to match, which is what any half decent agent will be haggling.

He's just won a treble, is one of the best players in the world in his position, and is in the strongest bargaining position he will ever have in his footballing life. It all points towards the biggest payday from the best club he can get at the highest earning rate.

The footballer who moves for the same or less money on his last big contract is almost mythological.

IAmAWinner

Weird seeing this guy’s name at the top of the Caf again. This will end in tears same as last time.
Don't think it will. Most of us expect Thiago to be a Liverpool player. If he joins us, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Member 101269

Yeah sure.

If we sign Messi Mbappe and Thiago, we may win it again next year too.
nice suggestion; Liverpool have no money and the squad (according to PL) is old. it's going to be interesting to watch what happens in the next 2 year with you guys.. klip klop gone?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The general gist of Thiago being better than the other two is apt, but there are clearly some facets he is not even close to par with them on, so it's not cut and shut one in one out if you want specific jobs done against specific opponents or types of player. McTominay and Fred are our only legs in midfield, Thiago coming in or not, doesn't alter that.

Said to @RobinLFC that he's not coming to England for cheap on his last big payday in Europe. £300k is what he's got to be aiming for to make it worthwhile, imo.

Don't think the personal terms are set in stone with LFC, why would they be? Someone comes in and offers you more, you'd be remiss not to present that figure to them to match, which is what any half decent agent will be haggling.

He's just won a treble, is one of the best players in the world in his position, and is in the strongest bargaining position he will ever have in his footballing life. It all points towards the biggest payday from the best club he can get at the highest earning rate.

The footballer who moves for the same or less money on his last big contract is almost mythological.
If Thiago joins, we will have to dominate games like City and our team is not really setup to do that.

So you are right, Fred and McT is very much required in our current style of play. For that reason, our name is just being used to get more wages and fees from Liverpool

bond19821982

Hendo/ DDG
AWB Maguire Shaw
Thiago
VDB Pogba
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial
No offense but I actually hate these kind of posts. You are just putting a line up to fit all the best players without actually knowing how it works in real time- FiFA like.

Who would cover the wings when it comes to defending? Pogba and VDB ? We will get slaughtered .

SATA

We wouldn't put in an official bid if we were put off by his wages after talking to him. I think United have walked away from this to be honest

You have an all clear now to get him if you can negotiate his wages to suit all parties

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
nice suggestion; Liverpool have no money and the squad (according to PL) is old. it's going to be interesting to watch what happens in the next 2 year with you guys.. klip klop gone?
I don't get the "your window is coming to an end" as if it's a dig towards Liverpool supporters. As if it's our fault that our owners don't want to invest / we simply don't have any money left.

Let's say we sign Thiago and challenge again both domestically and in Europe next season (which we most probably will with or without him anyway). That would be a 4-year window in which we've (at the very least) played two CL finals, one won, and won the Premier League. Our top players were around 25-27 when we started our run so it's only natural that this successful period is nearing its end if we don't do a squad overhaul. Our 17/18 until 19/20 period (a three-season timeframe) has already been more successful than City's and we are looking just as likely as them to challenge again next year.

If Klopp is gone after the 21/22 season and FSG have refused to invest until then, we could slide back into the top 4 battle or worse just as quickly as Klopp brought us to the top. But I'm not gonna worry about that right now when we clearly have 1 or 2 years at the top left. It is however worrisome to say the least that FSG are unwilling to back Klopp in the transfer market after corona (and last season too).

crossy1686

career ending
They did more than just "striking gold" with Klopp. They knew their transfer committee was a bit shite and decided to create a sporting director role, organically promoting Michael Edwards which obviously had a big positive impact on future transfers. We have done feck all in that regard and will likely continue in this way.
They also gave Klopp 5 years to get it right

crossy1686

career ending
We wouldn't put in an official bid if we were put off by his wages after talking to him. I think United have walked away from this to be honest

You have an all clear now to get him if you can negotiate his wages to suit all parties
Or we just ask to be kept abreast of what’s going on, wait for Liverpool to agree a few and then we gazump it with a higher salary and fee.
There’s a reason we don’t really bother negotiating with teams because they usually whack a United tax on every transfer. It’s easier for us to sit back and come in late when negotiations are already done

Giggsy13

I’d love to have Thiago but I’d much rather wait a year and make Neves our top target instead.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If Thiago joins, we will have to dominate games like City and our team is not really setup to do that.

So you are right, Fred and McT is very much required in our current style of play. For that reason, our name is just being used to get more wages and fees from Liverpool
To be honest, If it's not hot air, Thiago creates all sorts of formation, tactical and personnel possibilities and combinations for us, and some of them invariably require 'runners' of which both McTominay and Fred are (and are actually good at it, too) so this rush to turf one or two of them out doesn't make much sense - more a case of Fred thinking: 'f this, I'm not some layabout sub' and wanting to leave of his own volition than us turfing them out.

You don't need two runners in one squad - or at least, not two on 1st team wages - so you'd assume the young, academy graduate is the one who'd be willing to stick it out and get games where he can. If Fred's wage is matched elsewhere, Thiago coming in, or better to say, nobody who reduces Fred's potential playing time leaving, could make the decision for him.

All of them staying would be the ideal.. for the club and Ole, as it'd make us stacked and fiercely competitive, which is far removed from what we've endured for seasons now. We'd also have a-fresh-as-possible midfield unit deep into the season.

Still, if we've that kind of money (wages) to spend on midfielders, I'd personally prefer we went for the best DM we can afford and fortify the base of midfield whilst complementing what we have. As good as Thiago is, there's no question he presents a headache in terms of fitting him, Pogba and Fernandes into the systems we currently play, where a proper DM theoretically takes the other two up another level by giving them a solid base covering them as the primary objective.

Having said that, if the DM isn't in the discussion, I'd rather have the player than not. D'uh!

BlahRules

Anyone who thinks we don't need him or won't do anything for us needs to understand a player of his ilk can elevate our game to another level. An example of this is when Pirlo joining Juventus and taking them to an undefeated season and helping them to dominate Seria A.

Davie Moyes

This gives me the impression that nothing has changed much in Thiago wants Liverpool, they want him but personal terms and fee still to be agreed. Utd may have inquired and asked to be kept updated but know Thiago prefers Liverpool or Utd's name being used to push Liverpool into hurrying up.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
From a footballing perspective obviously you’d take him every day but I don’t think the Glazers would sign off on it. You can justify going big now on Sancho/Upemecano/VDB when other clubs aren’t able to as hopefully these are top players with us for the next 5 plus years. By investing now we don’t have to in the future. We aren’t competing next year regardless of if we sign Thiago and it’s 50-50 that in two years when we should be competing he’ll need replacing due to injuries/age decline. It doesn’t make financial sense to me and I think it’s a tough sell to justify it.

Liverpool he’s perfect for though. Their cycle is now and adding him may be the difference between a CL semi and another win. For them you have to make hay while the sun shines because over the next few years Klopp may leave and many of that team will need replacing. It’s all about maximising the trophy haul this side achieves.

bond19821982

I’d love to have Thiago but I’d much rather wait a year and make Neves our top target instead.
Neves is meh. Apart from odd wonder goals, he has proved absolutely nothing till now. Honestly I would keep Fred rather than buying Neves for 50+ m.

Leonzo1

I don't get the people saying they would be thrilled over a window of VDB and Thiago if we can't get Sancho. Yes Thiago is quality and quality is always needed but personally If we can't get Sancho I'll take a different RW like Traore or Brooks over Thiago any day of the week. Fact is we are extremely lacking in depth at the attacking position. One injury and we field James, two injuries and I have no idea who we put out there. We need A RW asap, then we need a LB and CB and only when we fill all of these positions should we go after another CM, even if it's Thiago we are talking about.

croadyman

I don't get the people saying they would be thrilled over a window of VDB and Thiago if we can't get Sancho. Yes Thiago is quality and quality is always needed but personally If we can't get Sancho I'll take a different RW like Traore or Brooks over Thiago any day of the week. Fact is we are extremely lacking in depth at the attacking position. One injury and we field James, two injuries and I have no idea who we put out there. We need A RW asap, then we need a LB and CB and only when we fill all of these positions should we go after another CM, even if it's Thiago we are talking about.
Oh yeah there is absolutely no doubt that signing a RW & CB is more important than Thiago. I would see this as a cherry on the cake if we can get our top targets in the other positions

Davie Moyes

I agree with where you are coming from but Thiago is a supreme player and would allow us to control games from midfield in a way we have not done in a long time. I don't think we are getting him anyway so definitely need to fix the right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.