Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

Matic/Thiago, Pogba/Fred, Bruno/VDB how do you fit them in a 3 man midfield, Even we sell Fred we will have SMT on books.

We might have to play diamond with 4 of these atleast but not sure if we have the wing backs to support this system

From Carrick and aged Scholes to what a midfield we are turning into.

We had Herrera, Sniederlin and Aged Sweinstiger at one point but I think current midfield is the best in last 12 years even without Thiago and if he joins I leave that to imagination
You have thiago, Pogba and Bruno as first choice.

RollieOle

Sanchez 2.0 written all over this. This is his last chance for a massive salary, he wants a pay day before it’s too late.
Sanchez was already declining in his last year with Arsenal, Thiago put in a MoM performance in the Champions League final a few weeks ago. Whoever gets him is getting an absolute bargin.

Alemar

Sanchez 2.0 written all over this. This is his last chance for a massive salary, he wants a pay day before it’s too late.
But his game has never relied upon pace or physique. He just becomes more experienced with age (and he is way younger than Matic, too)

NK86

I'm not making this up myself as in a would-be scenario, this is based off of reports from Romano and other reliable journalists that he's dead set on joining Liverpool. Fine if you don't believe them but don't take it out on me if I do.

You're obviously not a second rate club but at the moment you are quite some distance away from challenging on all fronts like Liverpool should next season, so it's not hard to see (or believe) why he'd much prefer our project that's currently in full fruition compared to yours where he'd maybe have to wait until he's 31 before you might be challenging for the PL or CL again.

It's the same as with any employee. If I wanna join A but B is interested and I know they usually give better pay, I'm sure as hell gonna ask for a lot more if they want to really have me there.
Your last point would hold water, but in this case the apt comparison to what you implied is I will join B only if they pay me more even if A isn't really offering me the job yet, which doesn't really make sense as a prospective employee.

Your team is better at this moment but things change very quickly. Klopp turned your fortunes and it can just as quickly turn for us, seeing how we finished last season. We have improved with the addition of Bruno and improvement in our front 3 players. Thiago may have an agreement with you. However if you aren't stumping up what Bayern are looking for then why can't we come in and swoop for him for the same wages as you. Why would we have to pay him so much more if you aren't even paying up to get him?

Bayern's price has been pretty well known for a while so I am not sure of the hold up if Thiago only prefers you and you can pay the asking fee.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
However if you aren't stumping up what Bayern are looking for then why can't we come in and swoop for him for the same wages as you. Why would we have to pay him so much more if you aren't even paying up to get him?
Because it doesn't add up to the story that Utd were unwilling to meet his wage demands, so it's depending on whether you believe that story or not. If Utd didn't want to meet those demands, then either i) he asked more than he did at Liverpool or ii) it contradicts ALL reports that he's set on joining Liverpool because he fully understands by now that he won't get a figure at Liverpool that Utd are unwilling to meet.

I believe (or want to believe) that he wants to join us, so it's i) for me. Fine if you don't think the same, obviously.

NK86

Because it doesn't add up to the story that Utd were unwilling to meet his wage demands, so it's depending on whether you believe that story or not. If Utd didn't want to meet those demands, then either i) he asked more than he did at Liverpool or ii) it contradicts ALL reports that he's set on joining Liverpool because he fully understands by now that he won't get a figure at Liverpool that Utd are unwilling to meet.

I believe (or want to believe) that he wants to join us, so it's i) for me. Fine if you don't think the same, obviously.
Stories come out galore. The usual narrative nowadays is United overpay for every player we get because we aren't good enough anymore. It suits the agenda and if you want to believe that, then so be it.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Matic/Thiago, Pogba/Fred, Bruno/VDB how do you fit them in a 3 man midfield, Even we sell Fred we will have SMT on books.

We might have to play diamond with 4 of these atleast but not sure if we have the wing backs to support this system

From Carrick and aged Scholes to what a midfield we are turning into.

We had Herrera, Sniederlin and Aged Sweinstiger at one point but I think current midfield is the best in last 12 years even without Thiago and if he joins I leave that to imagination
You play Thiago and Pogba when they are fit, then play the more in-form player between Bruno and VDB. Of course I would be very surprised if all of those options are available much during the season with how injuries normally go. And you could quite easily play a diamond with 4 of them as well if you wanted another body in midfield.

Chief123

This seems likely to me, yeah. In the mould of "I'd take €200k at Liverpool but I'll glady play for United too if you pay me €300k", but of course not sure if players actually think that way.
Yeah, because Liverpool are the only true club in UK! I swear some of you lot are becoming deluded like City fans. We are Manchester United, not a second rate club. The only time we need to pay extra is for the players who dream to play for Real/Barca but would come to the Prem for higher wages, which is nothing like choosing between Liverpool and United in the Prem.
I'm pretty certain if Thiago had the choice of the two options right now, he would choose Liverpool. At 29, time is not on his side. If it wasn't for the financial aspect, it would make more sense from a footballing perspective as both clubs are in different cycles of their journey at the moment.

Of course, I'm pretty sure he would nevertheless still be delighted at joining Utd as well. Two different projects. For him, as long as it's a top club, that would fulfill the "looking for a new challenge". Everything is a step down from leaving the treble winning European Champions.

Okey

Respect to United if they are trying to sign him

Thiago wouldn't come to sit on the bench and Donny van de Beek isn't coming to sit on the bench. Pogba and Bruno are obvious starters. What on earth is Ole planning? :lol:

........Rashford..............Martial..........
....................B.Fernandes..................
.........Pogba...............van de Beek....
.......................Thiago.........................
That would be my line up too. Could absolutely dominate the game against most teams. Greenwood would be good back up to the front men. Matic and co. for the middle men.

Halftrack

No offense but I actually hate these kind of posts. You are just putting a line up to fit all the best players without actually knowing how it works in real time- FiFA like.

Who would cover the wings when it comes to defending? Pogba and VDB ? We will get slaughtered .
Seconded. Trying to shoehorn all the quality players into the side would mean we'd still have to rely on Mata/Lingard/Pereira for depth.

I'm thinking the interest in Grealish/purchase of VDB was specifically to add more quality in depth, not to play four in midfield and still lack quality in depth.

Quinzaine

I think it’s a lot of media hype personally. He doesn’t fit in with the profile of what ole is looking for. Couple that with the midfield we have at the moment and it’s not entirely clear how we would get the most out of him. He would arguably Work best alongside mctominey. You can’t play him in the holding role without hard working, defensively able players next to him I think. Thiago can’t cover the ground well enough on his own which means you sacrifice either pogba or Bruno.

if you played that 3 in midfield you would need better/ more offensively minded full backs too. Which we currently don’t have.

DVB would be the wrong signing if ole was really thinking about Thiago I think.

The truth is he will fit much better in at liverpool, though arguably he is the wrong age for them even (Henderson /wijnaldum are not getting younger). Be class for a season or two I’d imagine though.
A season or two? He's an elite level CM and would be the best in our team. He doesn't rely on his physical traits and instead is blessed with an extremely high level of talent technically and tactically. For comparisons sake, Scholes who was a similar type of midfielder with similar skillsets turned 29 in 2003. Carrick in 2010 and produced a world-class season for us in 2013. There is genuinely absolutely nothing suggesting he'd only be class for a season or two barring a freak injury. Him being world-class for another 4 years is far more likely.

croadyman

Seconded. Trying to shoehorn all the quality players into the side would mean we'd still have to rely on Mata/Lingard/Pereira for depth.

I'm thinking the interest in Grealish/purchase of VDB was specifically to add more quality in depth, not to play four in midfield and still lack quality in depth.
Finally someone has brought up this point at last

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm pretty certain if Thiago had the choice of the two options right now, he would choose Liverpool. At 29, time is not on his side. If it wasn't for the financial aspect, it would make more sense from a footballing perspective as both clubs are in different cycles of their journey at the moment.

Of course, I'm pretty sure he would nevertheless still be delighted at joining Utd as well. Two different projects. For him, as long as it's a top club, that would fulfill the "looking for a new challenge". Everything is a step down from leaving the treble winning European Champions.
Ofcourse he can be ambitious but he has won everything he can. There is nothing left to win except for the new league experience. We can also provide the same, better wages and CL as well.

So this grand idea that he will always chose Klopp above is not really true. He might have agreed to join them but if we offer him a good package, I am sure he would opt us.

croadyman

Ofcourse he can be ambitious but he has won everything he can. There is nothing left to win except for the new league experience. We can also provide the same, better wages and CL as well.

So this grand idea that he will always chose Klopp above is not really true. He might have agreed to join them but if we offer him a good package, I am sure he would opt us.
Yeah like you say think he would still consider us if we offered an attractive package, however rightly Utd are still trying to gauge how set he is on joining Liverpool or can his mind still be changed by hearing the right things from Utd

El Zoido

Sanchez was already declining in his last year with Arsenal, Thiago put in a MoM performance in the Champions League final a few weeks ago. Whoever gets him is getting an absolute bargin.
Depends if he treats it as a pay day or not. Nobody thought Sanchez was a bad idea at the time.

Mainoldo

I'd rather have him and Upamecano than Sancho if we had to pick.
Big call!!! I don’t know though. As much as Thiago is amazing. Sancho has the potential to be up there with your Neymar’s. Rather that than sitting on Modric and Varane (Just an example).

OverratedOpinion

If you’ve actually seen Neves play then you’d realize this comparison is absolutely wank. Neves is the type of player that would make you wonder why your club didn’t move for him when he makes the jump elsewhere to another big club.
Most overrated player in the league.

Darlington Padgett

Big call!!! I don’t know though. As much as Thiago is amazing. Sancho has the potential to be up there with your Neymar’s. Rather that than sitting on Modric and Varane (Just an example).
You're probably right, Sancho has the potential to be one of the worlds best. Maybe I'm biased with Thiago, I've always wanted him playing for United.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Certainly not worth breaking the wage structure to bring him in, as I said many pages back what we don't want is another Sanchez on our hands we already have the issue now with DDG

Alemar

Certainly not worth breaking the wage structure to bring him in, as I said many pages back what we don't want is another Sanchez on our hands we already have the issue now with DDG
But aren’t our leaders paid handsomely? How would Thiago break the wage structure if de Gea is on 350k, with Pogba on high wages too?
we can definitely offer Pogba level wages to Thiago as he is a similar calibre player

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Fergie had a better first 4 years than Klopp and was almost sacked.
Ferguson had won an Fa Cup after his first 4.5 seasons in charge. Klopp has won the CL and the league in the amount of time.

RedorDead21

He's 29 the same age Zidane went to Real. He's a cultured CM and we've needed one of those for a long long time. A CL winner, driven (could have stayed for Barca's best years when he decided to move away), and different to anything we have at the moment in possession. 200k a week is really to be expected based just on his CV. We could lose 2 very average players off the payroll and save that if we're lucky. Sanchez was fading before he joined and was asked to pick up balls on our halfway line and run with the ball. Joke really for his skill set at Arsenal.

reddevilz007

He's 29 the same age Zidane went to Real. He's a cultured CM and we've needed one of those for a long long time. A CL winner, driven (could have stayed for Barca's best years when he decided to move away), and different to anything we have at the moment in possession. 200k a week is really to be expected based just on his CV. We could lose 2 very average players off the payroll and save that if we're lucky. Sanchez was fading before he joined and was asked to pick up balls on our halfway line and run with the ball. Joke really for his skill set at Arsenal.
sell Mata and pereira wages, and we’ve cleared enough for Thiago’s wage demands

RedorDead21

sell Mata and pereira wages, and we’ve cleared enough for Thiago’s wage demands
Yeah I mean I have reservations simply because I think we need alot of positions filled this summer and another CM for even 30m will prob impact our ability to do that. If it wont, then I'd love to see him here. We need some world-class players in the spine of our squad.....

SmallCaine

Fergie had a better first 4 years than Klopp and was almost sacked.
No he did not. Klopp finished outside top 4 only once in his first 4 years. Fergie finished in top 10 only once in his first 4 years.

86-87- 11th
87-88- 2nd
88-89- 11th
90-91- 13th

Just to put it in context atkinson never finished below 4th until the season he was sacked in. Don't make stuff up.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'd rather have him and Upamecano than Sancho if we had to pick.
Same, but only because I believe both Upamecano and Thiago are just that good and would actually be cheaper than Sancho. Sancho would be the most impactful transfer, but I don't think enough so to outweigh two players of that quality.

Chairman Steve

One of my Liverpool fan mates said he’d be gutted if they didnt get Thiago after all the smoke coming out linking him with them, and he’d be seething if Utd snatched him.

Hes an awesome player but I worry about injury record coupled with his age, his desire to come here and be committed to winning stuff here. I‘m weary about buying a central midfielder from Bayern... hopefully three times a charm. On the shortlist of Utd targets at the moment, I’d have him 3rd in priority behind Sancho and Upamecano.

Getting one of Sancho, Thiago and Upamecano is doable. Getting two of them is a challenge. Getting all of them would be frankly amazing if that’s somehow pulled off. Two out of three should be what we’re aiming for though and even that would be a job well done by the club.

Josh 76

No he did not. Klopp finished outside top 4 only once in his first 4 years. Fergie finished in top 10 only once in his first 4 years.

86-87- 11th
87-88- 2nd
88-89- 11th
90-91- 13th

Just to put it in context atkinson never finished below 4th until the season he was sacked in. Don't make stuff up.
Depends which way you look at it.

1986-87 He came in half way through and took Utd out of a relegation battle to finish mid table.

1987-88. His first Full season Utd were runner up in the league. (Klopp didn't come no where near that in his first 4 seasons.)

1988-89
Was his bad season

1989-90.
FA Cup winners. Klopp didn't win anything in his first 4 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.