g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

This is just a distraction from the Sancho saga. We need to channel all our efforts over there.

There is nothing to see here. He is most certainly going to Liverpool.

Thread locked.
Was a nice distraction for a bit

croadyman

I think this’ll happen once Wijnaldum leaves, which is sounding extremely likely now.
Yeah pretty much nailed on and expect Romano to jump on Wijnaldum stuff pretty shortly

Think we would have reacted quicker if we genuinely believed he was actually open to joining us.

Last edited:

SmallCaine

Depends which way you look at it.

1986-87 He came in half way through and took Utd out of a relegation battle to finish mid table.

1987-88. His first Full season Utd were runner up in the league. (Klopp didn't come no where near that in his first 4 seasons.)

1988-89
Was his bad season

1989-90.
FA Cup winners. Klopp didn't win anything in his first 4 seasons.
Again it doesn't matter what way you look at it, unless you're just refusing to look at what liverpool did in klopp's first 4 seasons and only seeing what fergie did which given your posts seems likely.

They won the CL, made 2 CL finals and they also finished 2nd and klopp came a lot closer given they were just 1 point behind city who had to get 98 points to win the league.

mav_9me

I think this’ll happen once Wijnaldum leaves, which is sounding extremely likely now.
If he doesn't get injured, he will be key for you to retain the title. Just see the difference between him and Wijnaldum. What an improvement for you guys.

dasty

How good is Thiago. Even here you could see the difference between Rodri and him.
So true. Thiago had to run to receive most of the balls from Rodri but Rodri barely had to move from those pin point pings from Thiago. Even the first touches and controls of Rodri are clearly inferior, even though his are already great. Just shows how ridiculously good Thiago is.

SATA

Rodri is no slouch himself there but Thiago’s technique is absolutely ridiculous. Taking those balls on the chest high up from the sky and then the touch to kill it. Now i know many footballers can probably do that but that’s just immaculate control. Not sure many in our squad can do that bar maybe Pogba

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We've just bought a midfielder... We're not buying two in the same window.

Nothing to see here at all.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Insane technique, first touch, control, left or right volley, precision... Rodri is fine, but struggling to keep up a bit. Anyway, not doing this to myself again, just can't see this happening at all.

meamth

Like I said previously, his wage will be so high, warranting first team place.

We have to sacrifice either Pogba or Bruno if we want him here.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Like I said previously, his wage will be so high, warranting first team place.

We have to sacrifice either Pogba or Bruno if we want him here.
You can actually play Thiago, Pogba and Bruno, VDB in a midfield.

VDB, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho and Martial all move around freely in attack with Thiago an Pogba sitting back spraying passes round.

In big big games, talking against the big teams you could play a 3-5-1-1 which seem strange but you could literally just swarm the opposition, keep the ball all game.

(If all targets were obtained, Upamecano / Sancho / Thiago)

Otherwise Shaw for Upamecano.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

VDB, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho and Martial all move around freely in attack with Thiago an Pogba sitting back spraying passes round.

In big big games, talking against the big teams you could play a 3-5-1-1 which seem strange but you could literally just swarm the opposition, keep the ball all game.

Stick to the PlayStation mate.

meamth

Playing without wing backs are suicidal if you want to play this 11. Chasing game, maybe? but always with wing backs.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Stick to the PlayStation mate.
I don't play consoles or video games in general, my point is you can easily play a 4 midfielders in big games and have one striker, Van De Beek, Thiago, Pogba and Bruno can all play in the same midfield, especially if Greenwood and Rashford were tracking back.

We're hardly in an era of football where it's a classic 4-4-2 every game and 2 strikers.

We know Ole prefers a 4-2-3-1 but even then you're talking about 3 midfielders which only misses out on one of those players.

Tel074

Play that team in any big game and you will lose 9-6 . That's Ossie Ardiles tactics

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So true. Thiago had to run to receive most of the balls from Rodri but Rodri barely had to move from those pin point pings from Thiago. Even the first touches and controls of Rodri are clearly inferior, even though his are already great. Just shows how ridiculously good Thiago is.
Is there a bit overrating of Thiago happening? I mean, he was clearly excellent in the knockout rounds of the CL but has he been consistently brilliant year in year out to put him up with the best of the generation? Or has he completely fulfilled his potential only the last year or so, and before that injuries etc held him back. As I know he has always been very talented but Barca did let him go and this is the first time you can say that Bayern have had the best midfield in Europe. Can't remember anyone thinking their midfield was better than that of Madrid for example, before this.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Playing without wing backs are suicidal if you want to play this 11. Chasing game, maybe? but always with wing backs.
Agreed in some cases, but currently from an attacking perspective AWB and Shaw are ineffective anyway, having Rashford and Sancho/Greenwood attack would obviously result in more goals.

Conte at Inter and at Chelsea played 3-5-2 frequently and they won the league under him.

With those players in midfield I'm assuming VDB, Thiago and Fernandes would press a lot anyway, obviously I'm not a coach just a fan like everybody else.

There's a reason coaches like Conte just a 3-5-2 though with the right players it can work.

How Chelsea played under Conte

amolbhatia50k

You could get away with it against weaker teams that sit back at OT. However, it's all a bit one-paced. To utilise the creativity of Pogba and Fernandes, it's better to have that burst of pace and skill of Martial, Greenwood and Rashford. A bunch of CMs playing together just seems a tad boring to me.

Lemansky

Thiago should not be a priority at all, especially if he demand huge wages and use us as a back up for a potential dead Liverpool transfer.

With Van Beek incoming our midfield is very strong. We should concentrate on getting Sancho over the line and getting a CB. We also need to strengthen LB before buying another midfielder.

Thiago is a truly wonderful footballer but he ain’t the right fit for us now.

amolbhatia50k

Thiago should not be a priority at all, especially if he demand huge wages and use us as a back up for a potential dead Liverpool transfer.

With Van Beek incoming our midfield is very strong. We should concentrate on getting Sancho over the line and getting a CB. We also need to strengthen LB before buying another midfielder.

Thiago is a truly wonderful footballer but he ain’t the right fit for us now.
Actually a playmaker in midfield is exactly what we need. Much moreso IMO than a tackler like Ndidi or an attacking midfielder like VDB. With Thiago, his fitness record worries given the enormous wages he would come here on, and given the other CMs we have are pretty attack minded. But in terms of role, we do lack that CM who can run the game.

SirScholes

Agreed in some cases, but currently from an attacking perspective AWB and Shaw are ineffective anyway, having Rashford and Sancho/Greenwood attack would obviously result in more goals.

Conte at Inter and at Chelsea played 3-5-2 frequently and they won the league under him.

With those players in midfield I'm assuming VDB, Thiago and Fernandes would press a lot anyway, obviously I'm not a coach just a fan like everybody else.

There's a reason coaches like Conte just a 3-5-2 though with the right players it can work.

Surely you can see the difference in midfield
Kante was a beast and could cover the whole pitch, it was also definitely 5-3-2

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

That is a completely different team makeup You wouldn’t have to drop both fullbacks to fit Thiago into our team you crazy philosopher.

Not that it matters, as he probably isn’t coming.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Rashford and Sancho/Greenwood cant play as wingback.

Also Conte didn't win league with 3-5-2, it was 3-4-3 with Matic instead of Bakayoko and also Pedro instead of Fabregas.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Wingbacks.

No wingbacks.

Stretender

Is there a bit overrating of Thiago happening? I mean, he was clearly excellent in the knockout rounds of the CL but has he been consistently brilliant year in year out to put him up with the best of the generation? Or has he completely fulfilled his potential only the last year or so, and before that injuries etc held him back. As I know he has always been very talented but Barca did let him go and this is the first time you can say that Bayern have had the best midfield in Europe. Can't remember anyone thinking their midfield was better than that of Madrid for example, before this.
Hear hear. I don't know where this greatest midfielder in the world has been in the past 4 years. Bayern are a good team, most players will look good in their side. Am yet to see a midfielder in Europe better than the Kevin De Bruyne of the past three years. Very decisive player and the precision in his passing is top notch. Shame he plays for City. If Thiago was this best midfielder at the moment, Liverpool would have paid the 30 million already. Its not alot of money, but even Klopp thinks that's not justified.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Seems obvious he'll go to Liverpool if Wijnaldum moves on. We won't be signing another midfielder now with far bigger holes elsewhere.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Hear hear. I don't know where this greatest midfielder in the world has been in the past 4 years. Bayern are a good team, most players will look good in their side. Am yet to see a midfielder in Europe better than the Kevin De Bruyne of the past three years. Very decisive player and the precision in his passing is top notch. Shame he plays for City. If Thiago was this best midfielder at the moment, Liverpool would have paid the 30 million already. Its not alot of money, but even Klopp thinks that's not justified.
It's the wages, agents fees and the transfer fee that's the issue, it'll total around £50M which Liverpool just can't do currently, as some have pointed out perhaps Wijnaldum leaving will fix that.

Wingbacks.

No wingbacks.
I'm first to admit that I'm just a casual fan these days, just playing around with the idea that it doesn't always mean everyone will be benched with only playing 2 or 3 midfielders, although as people have aptly responded it could be suicide in some/most games

Lemansky

Actually a playmaker in midfield is exactly what we need. Much moreso IMO than a tackler like Ndidi or an attacking midfielder like VDB. With Thiago, his fitness record worries given the enormous wages he would come here on, and given the other CMs we have are pretty attack minded. But in terms of role, we do lack that CM who can run the game.
It’s all about priorities tough. If we could be certain of shifting Fred, Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Mata etc I would be all for bringing him in. But in midfield we have to many players already. Someone has to go.

Right now, with the squad as it is, and RW, CB and LB is more vital positions to strengthen imo. Thiago will be a ridiculous signing for the team that gets him, but we should have other priorities.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It’s all about priorities tough. If we could be certain of shifting Fred, Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Mata etc I would be all for bringing him in. But in midfield we have to many players already. Someone has to go.

Right now, with the squad as it is, and RW, CB and LB is more vital positions to strengthen imo. Thiago will be a ridiculous signing for the team that gets him, but we should have other priorities.
I agree on RW and CB, but LB I think Williams will be given time to develop.

Lingard and Pereira should be shown the door regardless of if someone is brought in or not, Rojo and Jones too.

If a player comes in then Mata should also be moved on.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So you are very much in the Thiago camp then as well I take it
Under the right circumstances yes, if we can get him without making him our highest paid player then absolutely do it as I'm one who believes him, Pogba and Bruno could 100% be our first choice midfield against any opposition

I'm probably 60/40 on this happening, I can see someone swooping in while Liverpool dither like what happened with Werner but that being said I can see us walking away like we did last summer with Dybala and Eriksen if we're not convinced he really wants to be here. I can also see this being a deadline day thing with Wijnaldum moving to Barca and Liverpool finally paying up

Agree with this post 100%. We will be lucky to get rid of two of the players that you have listed.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Probably a bit as he is so brilliant to watch. But for example, in the 2017/18 season and after Heynckes took over, aside from one period where he was out with the injury I thought he was outstanding, especially in CL. His performance that season in Madrid in the semi-final is still one of the best midfield performances I saw at that stage in recent years. He completely took control of the game and dominated Madrid midfield. The thing is Lewa couldn't hit the barn door in that game and they went out, but they were the best team in Europe that season imo and he was a big part of that.

Overall, though, your point stands. He never truly did it on a consistent basis (like having 2 or 3 seasons where you can say he really dominated) and his injury record is a worry, but it is also a huge reason for the first issue.

Marcus

He is almost 30 and it's Bayern selling. I have nightmares about the injury-riddled duo of Bastian and Owen still.

meamth

Thiago Alcantara is a player with a long history of injuries. According to Transfermarkt, the Spanish international has suffered close to 25 injuries and missed over 100 games in his career. Moreover, in seven seasons, the midfielder has just once played 30 or more Bundesliga matches in a season.

No fecking way. Liverpool can have him.

Josh 76

Again it doesn't matter what way you look at it, unless you're just refusing to look at what liverpool did in klopp's first 4 seasons and only seeing what fergie did which given your posts seems likely.

They won the CL, made 2 CL finals and they also finished 2nd and klopp came a lot closer given they were just 1 point behind city who had to get 98 points to win the league.
This debate is getting out of hand and is probably for another thread.
If you look at my first post, I was just saying Fergies first 4 seasons were better than Klopps. 2nd in League and wining a Trophy. Klopp did neither. He also was creating a youth system which has and will never been seem again. After that Klopp has gone onto to great things and Fergie became the greatest manager ever.
Now let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.