Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpWithRivers

Im not so sure the Scousers will buy him simply for the fact he would completely fk up their pay structure. I reckon he would want what 200? Or a lot anyway. How would Henderson on 110 or Trent on like 60 or the rest feel. 'Hey we won the friggin league + champs league and you bring this guy in on 200. what abut me!' We already screwed our wage structure up. Thats how we ended up giving Mata 150 and De Gea 350

Quinzaine

As genuinely exciting as this is, it's hard not to get reminded that Bayern don't sell players that are good enough to play for them.

I know his contract issue changes things a bit, but even so, id be cautious of any "top" payer they're willing to sell - especially when that player is moving to a stronger, faster and more gruelling league.
I mean they don't have a choice. They wanted to renew his contract but he wanted a new experience - I don't think any conclusions can be made from the fact that they've been forced to let him go?

Alemar

Because Liverpool have no intention of buying him for 30m when they can get him on a free in 4 months.
Its clear as day theyre trying to turn his head to the extent hes desperste to go, then say big bad Bayern are unreasonable and to wait for them.
The same shit they reportedly tried to pull with Werner by Klopp telling him to stay put and wait when its clear as day they cant afford him.
Liverpool arent relying on a 16m sale for a 30m purchase. Its not the case of having money to spend, its a choice of not to spend it.
No wonder his camp seems to be moving on
I mean, why Man Utd doesn’t bid for him now, not Liverpool

croadyman

Im not so sure the Scousers will buy him simply for the fact he would completely fk up their pay structure. I reckon he would want what 200? Or a lot anyway. How would Henderson on 110 or Trent on like 60 or the rest feel. 'Hey we won the friggin league + champs league and you bring this guy in on 200. what abut me!' We already screwed our wage structure up. Thats how we ended up giving Mata 150 and De Gea 350
Well DDG has certainly earnt that kind of wage more than Sanchez ever did,however will agree that it probably is still far too high.

In regards to Thiago I think he has earnt the right to be our third highest earner for what he has shown over 9 years at Barca & Bayern.

Alemar

In regards to Thiago I think he has earnt the right to be our third highest earner for what he has shown over 9 years at Barca & Bayern.
he will be the best or the second best player in our team - certainly there are grounds for him to become 3rd in wage level

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thiago is quite obviously worth matching wages for. We can shift Lingard/Periera on and VDB himself has joined on good wages (120k a week). we shifted Sanchez on top and will likely push out more than 1 center back this window.

From a wages standpoint I think he should be within appetite.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Because Liverpool have no intention of buying him for 30m when they can get him on a free in 4 months.
Its clear as day theyre trying to turn his head to the extent hes desperste to go, then say big bad Bayern are unreasonable and to wait for them.
The same shit they reportedly tried to pull with Werner by Klopp telling him to stay put and wait when its clear as day they cant afford him.
Liverpool arent relying on a 16m sale for a 30m purchase. Its not the case of having money to spend, its a choice of not to spend it.
No wonder his camp seems to be moving on
It's not really four months though. It's a year before he'll actually play a competitive game for us.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'd disagree with that.

From what I could look up, he got 9 starts last season while Wijnaldum started 35. I'm open to moving on Wijnaldum on if it means getting Thiago as I think the midfield could do with some new blood, but Keita hasn't shown anything yet to suggest he's ready to be a regular starter.
End of season, Wijnaldum looked very tame and Keita was basically our best midfielder.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's not really four months though. It's a year before he'll actually play a competitive game for us.
And all our top players are a year older too by then. We need him now, next season. Not strengthening while on top will cost us in the long run, no doubt.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
And all our top players are a year older too by then. We need him now, next season. Not strengthening while on top will cost us in the long run, no doubt.
Pretty much, you should always strengthen from a position of strength and this is a deal far far far too good to pass up.

croadyman

Pretty much, you should always strengthen from a position of strength and this is a deal far far far too good to pass up.
I wouldn't worry because there is no way you are gonna pass this deal up much as I want that to happen

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You can actually play Thiago, Pogba and Bruno, VDB in a midfield.

VDB, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho and Martial all move around freely in attack with Thiago an Pogba sitting back spraying passes round.

In big big games, talking against the big teams you could play a 3-5-1-1 which seem strange but you could literally just swarm the opposition, keep the ball all game.

(If all targets were obtained, Upamecano / Sancho / Thiago)

Otherwise Shaw for Upamecano.

Makes me wonder how people don't get the basics of defending.

With that lineup, we would be slaughtered.

croadyman

Makes me wonder how people don't get the basics of defending.

With that lineup, we would be slaughtered.
Yeah we wouldn't be playing all of them at the same time that's for sure. We would then be back to having no options off the bench again

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

VDB, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho and Martial all move around freely in attack with Thiago an Pogba sitting back spraying passes round.

In big big games, talking against the big teams you could play a 3-5-1-1 which seem strange but you could literally just swarm the opposition, keep the ball all game.

Are you taking the piss here :lol: ?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Where is Messi?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
End of season, Wijnaldum looked very tame and Keita was basically our best midfielder.
Well yeah, when the league was more or less won, many of the first teamers looked a bit tame and tired, and it wouldn’t have too difficult to look better, even though I must admit I’m struggling to remember Keita playing as well as you suggest.

croadyman

Looks like his advisors have said sorry guys but he is only interested in joining Liverpool. Well at least if it all gets sorted in next couple of days we can all move on very quickly

mav_9me

Rodri is no slouch himself there but Thiago’s technique is absolutely ridiculous. Taking those balls on the chest high up from the sky and then the touch to kill it. Now i know many footballers can probably do that but that’s just immaculate control. Not sure many in our squad can do that bar maybe Pogba
As you can see, pretty sure lot of players can do what Rodri is doing. Have my doubts on how many can do it like Thiago there.

We've just bought a midfielder... We're not buying two in the same window.

Nothing to see here at all.
Couldn't agree more. VdB gives us options with Pogba and Bruno, and he will be happy to bide his time to become a starter.

As much as I would love Thiago with us, he would only be an option imo if we were to sell Pogba. Not happening.

cyberman

You can sign him on a free though? Its like waiting for Keita, just with an understanding instead of signed contracts
Its the only thing that makes sense to me. It explains why you have agreed wages and Utd thinks its too high due to Liverpool having no intention of paying 30m in the first place.
It makes more sense than Liverpool needing 16m to fund a 30m signing imo.

TsuWave

Crazy to read "his only choice is Liverpool". 5 years ago that would be laughable. Granted they've always been a big club, but Klopp's impact is something else.

cyberman

why is he for free in 4 month?
I guess bayern is fine with having him for another season.
Pre contract. Due to the longer version of this window, the end of this window isnt far off the Jan window. Liverpool can drag this out then bluff it about coming back soon so just wait for us, its only 8 odd weeks. Then get him on the pre contract and tell Bayern accept this small fee or lose him for free.
The more I write about this, the more it makes financial sense.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You can sign him on a free though? Its like waiting for Keita, just with an understanding instead of signed contracts
Its the only thing that makes sense to me. It explains why you have agreed wages and Utd thinks its too high due to Liverpool having no intention of paying 30m in the first place.
It makes zero sense, Thiago has his heart set on leaving right now, he invited his family for a goodbye tour in the Allianz Arena, has been looking into living in NW England, wants a new challenge now, ... It's the perfect time to leave Bayern after winning the treble.

We have agreed wages because we want him now. If we weren't interested in bringing him in now, we wouldn't have bothered to negotiate with Bayern anyway. We're just haggling over the €30m because we know that Thiago wants to leave and Bayern wants to sell, but Bayern also know that so that could lead to a stand-off.

As for needing €16m to fund a €30m transfer, that's confirmed nowhere and probably also not true at all. We're not short on money, our owners are just unwilling to invest it.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's more likely the case that the suits are massively overcomplicating this and think this is a game of 4D poker where they can't give anything away about anything regarding the blatantly obvious transfers of Thiago in and Gini out, lest we end up losing out on a fiver in the end.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
It makes zero sense, Thiago has his heart set on leaving right now, he invited his family for a goodbye tour in the Allianz Arena, has been looking into living in NW England, wants a new challenge now, ... It's the perfect time to leave Bayern after winning the treble.

We have agreed wages because we want him now. If we weren't interested in bringing him in now, we wouldn't have bothered to negotiate with Bayern anyway. We're just haggling over the €30m because we know that Thiago wants to leave and Bayern wants to sell, but Bayern also know that so that could lead to a stand-off.

As for needing €16m to fund a €30m transfer, that's confirmed nowhere and probably also not true at all. We're not short on money, our owners are just unwilling to invest it.
You had to make him an offer to turn his head in the first place. I'm sure Klopp wants him, and I'm just as sure your board wants him, too..next year as a free agent.

croadyman

Lets hope those discussions go longer but considering how efficient at transfers they are then think that is highly unlikely to happen

Maybe there is some truth in him being willing to take a lower wage offer from Liverpool than us

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You had to make him an offer to turn his head in the first place. I'm sure Klopp wants him, and I'm just as sure your board wants him, too..next year as a free agent.
How often does a transfer in football happen the year after if it didn't go through the first time around? I've read it countless times that "they will be back in for him next summer" and it barely ever comes to fruition. There is too much noise and confirmation by reliable journalists that there are genuine discussions ongoing right now and that we want to bring him in right now, otherwise we'd simply be hearing that we don't wanna pay a transfer fee for him at all.

And if I'm Thiago, I'm also thinking "feck Liverpool if they don't even wanna pay this meager €30m fee for me while I'm desperate for a new challenge right now, not next year."

DarkLord

How often does a transfer in football happen the year after if it didn't go through the first time around? I've read it countless times that "they will be back in for him next summer" and it barely ever comes to fruition. There is too much noise and confirmation by reliable journalists that there are genuine discussions ongoing right now and that we want to bring him in right now, otherwise we'd simply be hearing that we don't wanna pay a transfer fee for him at all.

And if I'm Thiago, I'm also thinking "feck Liverpool if they don't even wanna pay this meager €30m fee for me while I'm desperate for a new challenge right now, not next year."
Bruno Fernandes, Ander Herrera. There are many that comes to mind.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
How often does a transfer in football happen the year after if it didn't go through the first time around? I've read it countless times that "they will be back in for him next summer" and it barely ever comes to fruition.

We'll be all smarter by this weekend, when we know if Rummenigge's expected bid did come in or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.