g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This debate is getting out of hand and is probably for another thread.
If you look at my first post, I was just saying Fergies first 4 seasons were better than Klopps. 2nd in League and wining a Trophy. Klopp did neither. After that Klopp has gone onto to great things and Fergie became the greatest manager ever.
Now let's move on.
Klopp did come 2nd in the league and won the CL in his first 4 seasons.

red thru&thru

Our biggest problems last year came from when teams pressed up high. Our midfielders are just not able to receive the ball under pressure. Thiago would help cure this issue.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is there a bit overrating of Thiago happening? I mean, he was clearly excellent in the knockout rounds of the CL but has he been consistently brilliant year in year out to put him up with the best of the generation? Or has he completely fulfilled his potential only the last year or so, and before that injuries etc held him back. As I know he has always been very talented but Barca did let him go and this is the first time you can say that Bayern have had the best midfield in Europe. Can't remember anyone thinking their midfield was better than that of Madrid for example, before this.
Yes.

He hasn’t fully fulfilled his potential though, he could’ve been the next Paulo Roberto Falcão.

SmallCaine

This debate is getting out of hand and is probably for another thread.
If you look at my first post, I was just saying Fergies first 4 seasons were better than Klopps. 2nd in League and wining a Trophy. Klopp did neither. He also was creating a youth system which has and will never been seem again. After that Klopp has gone onto to great things and Fergie became the greatest manager ever.
Now let's move on.
Do you actually read posts you reply to? Klopp finished 2nd in his 4th season, he won a CL in the same season. He never finished outside of top 10 like fergie did. No one ever is going to achieve what fergie did. But no sane person can look at what they achieved in their first 4 years incharge of the respective clubs and claim fergie had a better start.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Insane technique, first touch, control, left or right volley, precision... Rodri is fine, but struggling to keep up a bit. Anyway, not doing this to myself again, just can't see this happening at all.
Indeed, indeed, indeed.

Then again, I'm 'I'll believe it when I see it' for all the big names we're supposedly in for this window.

UncleBob

Is there a bit overrating of Thiago happening? I mean, he was clearly excellent in the knockout rounds of the CL but has he been consistently brilliant year in year out to put him up with the best of the generation? Or has he completely fulfilled his potential only the last year or so, and before that injuries etc held him back. As I know he has always been very talented but Barca did let him go and this is the first time you can say that Bayern have had the best midfield in Europe. Can't remember anyone thinking their midfield was better than that of Madrid for example, before this.
They didn't have much choice.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Depends which way you look at it.

1986-87 He came in half way through and took Utd out of a relegation battle to finish mid table.

1987-88. His first Full season Utd were runner up in the league. (Klopp didn't come no where near that in his first 4 seasons.)

1988-89
Was his bad season

1989-90.
FA Cup winners. Klopp didn't win anything in his first 4 seasons.
This must be some sort of windup.

Klopp has just finished his fourth full season with us. He's won the CL and the league.

If you count the his half season as a season, then he won 'only' the CL, but his 97 point second place finish, 1 point of the top, was certainly more impressive than the 9 points Ferguson finished behind Liverpool in 88.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If Wijnaldum will be the reason that we won't have Thiago at Liverpool next season I'm gonna be mad at him for something he couldn't do anything about.

arthurka

He is almost 30 and it's Bayern selling. I have nightmares about the injury-riddled duo of Bastian and Owen still.
Difference being he doesn't want to sign a new contract that's why he is available. If there is a chance just get him in.

macheda14

I don’t know why people are so sure about Wijnaldum, Sport who are very unreliable are the only source to say he’s agreed personal terms. All the other papers are saying ‘according to Spanish paper Sport...’ and secondly, Barca are skint and only offering €16 mill. Maybe Liverpool will take that.

EwanI Ted

Thiago Alcantara is a player with a long history of injuries. According to Transfermarkt, the Spanish international has suffered close to 25 injuries and missed over 100 games in his career. Moreover, in seven seasons, the midfielder has just once played 30 or more Bundesliga matches in a season.

No fecking way. Liverpool can have him.
In a funny way its worked for Bayern because they have such a strong squad that it suits them to have a player who is fine with being rested and subbed off regularly.

Could also work for Liverpool if they use him as a squad option, like they have with Oxlaide-Chamberlain. But it makes him risky as a first teamer, so I dont think it would be a good idea to sell Wijnaldum to pay for it, even if Thiago is the better player. Especially this season, which is going to be relentless and without a winter break.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don’t know why people are so sure about Wijnaldum, Sport who are very unreliable are the only source to say he’s agreed personal terms. All the other papers are saying ‘according to Spanish paper Sport...’ and secondly, Barca are skint and only offering €16 mill. Maybe Liverpool will take that.

There is nothing to the reports that Wijnaldum to Barcelona is (close to) a done deal - yet, at least.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
In a funny way its worked for Bayern because they have such a strong squad that it suits them to have a player who is fine with being rested and subbed off regularly.

Could also work for Liverpool if they use him as a squad option, like they have with Oxlaide-Chamberlain. But it makes him risky as a first teamer, so I dont think it would be a good idea to sell Wijnaldum to pay for it, even if Thiago is the better player. Especially this season, which is going to be relentless and without a winter break.
Keita has been pushing ahead of wijnaldum as it were. I think we will be moving towards more rotation either way (even though midfield is were we rotate the most) and Gini always struck me as someone who would move on the minute it looks like he is not established first choice. He wants to play.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

There is nothing to the reports that Wijnaldum to Barcelona is (close to) a done deal - yet, at least.
I frankly don't believe a word from the Liverpool press these days. They will report whatever the club wants them to report. Which generally means deny deny deny, regardless of the situation.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Difference being he doesn't want to sign a new contract that's why he is available. If there is a chance just get him in.
I think Thiago is class but what I would say is they’ve been very different in how they’ve approached the Thiago situation than the Alaba one. They’re almost begging a team to pay the asking price with Thiago but with Alaba they’re trying to offer him a shed ton more money and seem desperate for him to stay.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I frankly don't believe a word from the Liverpool press these days. They will report whatever the club wants them to report. Which generally means deny deny deny, regardless of the situation.
Hmm fair enough yeah, they've been late to the party previous times in the last few seasons; it's usually a foreign well-informed source with the braking news then Joyce and Pearce lagging behind.

Alemar

Why can’t we just bid now, while Wijnaldum is not yet sold? It may be too late afterwards

cyberman

Why can’t we just bid now, while Wijnaldum is not yet sold? It may be too late afterwards
Because Liverpool have no intention of buying him for 30m when they can get him on a free in 4 months.
Its clear as day theyre trying to turn his head to the extent hes desperste to go, then say big bad Bayern are unreasonable and to wait for them.
The same shit they reportedly tried to pull with Werner by Klopp telling him to stay put and wait when its clear as day they cant afford him.
Liverpool arent relying on a 16m sale for a 30m purchase. Its not the case of having money to spend, its a choice of not to spend it.
No wonder his camp seems to be moving on

EwanI Ted

Keita has been pushing ahead of wijnaldum as it were. I think we will be moving towards more rotation either way (even though midfield is were we rotate the most) and Gini always struck me as someone who would move on the minute it looks like he is not established first choice. He wants to play.
I suppose you'd know better than me, and its hard to judge since Keita had a few injuries in recent times, but still, he only had 9 starts last year so it doesn't feel like he's quite there yet. On the other hand Liverpool will need to take a few risks to avoid having a team that all ages at the same time so maybe that's a risk worth taking.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
Because Liverpool have no intention of buying him for 30m when they can get him on a free in 4 months.
why is he for free in 4 month?
I guess bayern is fine with having him for another season.

lysglimt

Scout
Thiago Alcantara is a player with a long history of injuries. According to Transfermarkt, the Spanish international has suffered close to 25 injuries and missed over 100 games in his career. Moreover, in seven seasons, the midfielder has just once played 30 or more Bundesliga matches in a season.

No fecking way. Liverpool can have him.
He has lost on average about 8 matches pr season over the last 5 years. That includes being ill, being left on the bench and suspensions. Hardly a concern

Quinzaine

Wijnaldum's move to Barcelona and thus Thiago's move to Liverpool seem inevitable now but surely we're planning on going for another midfielder if Fred is on his way? First Galatasaray and now Roma it's making me think that either we've made it clear to clubs that Fred is available or Fred's agent is pushing him for a move. I don't see a situation where we'd be happy to let Fred go (especially on Loan) unless we bring another midfielder in.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
As genuinely exciting as this is, it's hard not to get reminded that Bayern don't sell players that are good enough to play for them.

I know his contract issue changes things a bit, but even so, id be cautious of any "top" payer they're willing to sell - especially when that player is moving to a stronger, faster and more gruelling league.

sp_107

You guys happy with Thiago/Upamecano/Reguilon with out any RW/CF in this window?

Smalling(20)/Jones+Rojo(10)/Dalot(20)/Fred(30)/Romero(10)/Jesse(15)/Perrera(15)/=+120M
DVB(35)/Thiago(25)/Upamecano(40)/Reguilon(20) = -120

With zero budget we can do this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You guys happy with Thiago/Upamecano/Reguilon with out any RW/CF in this window?

Smalling(20)/Jones+Rojo(10)/Dalot(20)/Fred(30)/Romero(10)/Jesse(15)/Perrera(15)/=+120M

Then might as well add Sancho to that

croadyman

Under the right circumstances yes, if we can get him without making him our highest paid player then absolutely do it as I'm one who believes him, Pogba and Bruno could 100% be our first choice midfield against any opposition

I'm probably 60/40 on this happening, I can see someone swooping in while Liverpool dither like what happened with Werner but that being said I can see us walking away like we did last summer with Dybala and Eriksen if we're not convinced he really wants to be here. I can also see this being a deadline day thing with Wijnaldum moving to Barca and Liverpool finally paying up
Personally think that he would end up being our third highest paid player behind Pogba & of course DDG,yes I know that sounds like too much to pay him but if we can get some more of the high wage earners off the bill

croadyman

Depends if we can get a loan deal for a RW somewhere which could become a real possibility if things continue to go nowhere with Jadon

spiriticon

You assume we can actually sell all those players for those prices...

We'll be lucky to move Smalling to Roma for 10m at the speed we work....

Chief123

You can actually play Thiago, Pogba and Bruno, VDB in a midfield.

VDB, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho and Martial all move around freely in attack with Thiago an Pogba sitting back spraying passes round.

In big big games, talking against the big teams you could play a 3-5-1-1 which seem strange but you could literally just swarm the opposition, keep the ball all game.

(If all targets were obtained, Upamecano / Sancho / Thiago)

Otherwise Shaw for Upamecano.

With all respect, that is an absurd lineup dude. That set up is risky when playing Fifa, never mind in real life.

croadyman

With seemingly the Upamecano & Sancho stuff dead in the water right now we should go and make this deal happen

EwanI Ted

This looked amazing until I found out it was fake. Don’t even think the best ever could do this (unless they did multiple takes and had incredible luck).
So someone else told me. Shame #iwantobelieve

Chief123

I don't play consoles or video games in general, my point is you can easily play a 4 midfielders in big games and have one striker, Van De Beek, Thiago, Pogba and Bruno can all play in the same midfield, especially if Greenwood and Rashford were tracking back.

We're hardly in an era of football where it's a classic 4-4-2 every game and 2 strikers.

We know Ole prefers a 4-2-3-1 but even then you're talking about 3 midfielders which only misses out on one of those players.
You would be crazy to play that line up against smaller teams never mind bigger teams dude. Absolutely no team in the world plays with so many attacking players like that set up.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
With seemingly the Upamecano & Sancho stuff dead in the water right now we should go and make this deal happen
Both of those players are available though. So let’s go and get them. It makes zero sense adding a 29 year old in their prime if we don’t have the other players needed to compete. What’s the point? We aren’t winning with him regardless and he’ll need replacing in 2/3 years. Now if Woody is going all out this summer then Thiago in addition to the others does make sense.

Pav1878

As genuinely exciting as this is, it's hard not to get reminded that Bayern don't sell players that are good enough to play for them.

I know his contract issue changes things a bit, but even so, id be cautious of any "top" payer they're willing to sell - especially when that player is moving to a stronger, faster and more gruelling league.
With respect, he looked more than ok in the CL final only a few weeks ago.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'd disagree with that.

From what I could look up, he got 9 starts last season while Wijnaldum started 35. I'm open to moving on Wijnaldum on if it means getting Thiago as I think the midfield could do with some new blood, but Keita hasn't shown anything yet to suggest he's ready to be a regular starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.