Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldyson1uk

Thiago is not better than what we have. That includes Pogba, VDB and Bruno. If you want to know why ask Bayern why they don't want him and also ask Klopp why he doesn't want to spend 30 million on him. I can also tell you now, he is not better than Kevin De Bruyne. Iam glad Ole is our manager because if it was for has been Jose, who wanted to pay 50 million for Perisic , he would have paid 50 million for Thiago. We don't need him. We have Mctominay .
This has to be a wind up, posted after a night on the lash !!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I just absolutely love him as a player. Watching him play both for Spain the other day and in the Champions league final, you just have to marvel at the way he retains possession, sprays passes left and right with precision and just controls the whole tempo of the game. I think it’s still highly likely he signs for Liverpool in the end but Utd would be mad to pass on the opportunity for a genuinely world class player.

MDFC Manager

Thiago is not better than what we have. That includes Pogba, VDB and Bruno. If you want to know why ask Bayern why they don't want him and also ask Klopp why he doesn't want to spend 30 million on him. I can also tell you now, he is not better than Kevin De Bruyne. Iam glad Ole is our manager because if it was for has been Jose, who wanted to pay 50 million for Perisic , he would have paid 50 million for Thiago. We don't need him. We have Mctominay .
I was going to point out the multiple fallacies here but that's too much effort, so a simple :lol: is enough.

Stretender

This has to be a wind up, posted after a night on the lash !!
Not really a wind up . I fail to understand why this so called top midfielder, reasonably priced at 30 million is struggling to find a club. Lets take Liverpool out of this. Are you telling me Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal or even Juventus can not afford to pay 30 million for this guy? No one has also answered me why Bayern desperately want to get rid of him and most importantly why Klopp doesn't value him at 30 million? That alone tells you alot about so called top midfielder Thiago. Top coaches obviously don't think he is as important as the caf makes him out to be. I doubt Ole expressed any interest in him, Bayern have desperately tried to hurry up Liverpool to pay by bringing United's name into it, but Klopp and Liverpool have not fallen for it. It begs the question is Thiago all that ?

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's not fit to lace Thiago's boots no matter how you phrase it. If there was a ballon d'or this year he wouldn't make an appearance (barely made it last season) and Thiago would.

Yeah we have, Teddy Sheringham, Van Persie and who could forget Van der Sar.

Won't even bother with your last statement.

Let me put it like this. Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes all had huge success post the age Thiago is at. All similar players to him. You can't compare him to the transfer of players who rely on explosiveness like Sanchez.
I'm sorry, but when you start comparing Pirlo and Scholes to Thiago, then I know you are way off track.
To coin your phrase, Thiago isn't fit to lace their boots, plus they are all inherently different players.
It's obvious your a Thiago fan boy, so I suggest we leave it at this.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Maybe another reason is the player, crazy as he clearly is, only wants to go to the self pity city and if not there then nowhere. Liverpool have tight American owners who are looking to make a profit long term and currently have the effects of Covid on their finances so can't or won't match his fee and high wage demands.

If so, then these other clubs you mentioned may not be in for him as they know he's not interested in another club.

Idxomer

Are you telling me Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal or even Juventus can not afford to pay 30 million for this guy?
Spurs and Arsenal?!! Chelsea is a downgrade and had about 5 positions they needed to strengthen first. Juventus doesn't have the money to spend on him while they still have the likes of Ramsey on high wages.

The simple answer it's the player's desire to move to Liverpool.

No one has also answered me why Bayern desperately want to get rid of him
They don't. Desperately want to get rid, Where did you come up with that?

why Klopp doesn't value him at 30 million
He isn't the one who put a value on their purchases.

You remember that problem we had this season? The one where we had no competent backup for Pogba or Bruno? A midfield trio of VDB, Pogba and Bruno means that problem still exists.
Compared to last season we have 2.5 more midfielders.

We have Pogba, who is unlikely to miss the majority of the season again, Bruno for the entire season, not just half and we have DVDB.

Fred, McT and Matic are fine for depth, that’s 6 first team midfielders.

If we had a settled squad, and weren’t in transition, then perhaps Thiago would be a focus. But the improvement we can make as a team by buying an actual right sided player and a better CB than Lindelof far outweighs the improvement Thiago would make to our midfield.

OrcaFat

I like him but on balance I would be fine if we don’t sign him.

His quality and experience would be welcome but assuming our transfer pot is not infinite, I would rather we spend whatever it takes on Sancho and then look to a CB.

If there’s any money left after that (which I doubt) I’d still like to get Grealish.

If there’s any money left after that (surely not!) then a proper no.6 would be my choice. Thiago is not really what I’d have in mind but would be in the conversation I s’pose.

He’s very good, of course, but when you look at the holes in the squad and the money we need to spend, I can’t see us buying him.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not really a wind up . I fail to understand why this so called top midfielder, reasonably priced at 30 million is struggling to find a club. Lets take Liverpool out of this. Are you telling me Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal or even Juventus can not afford to pay 30 million for this guy? No one has also answered me why Bayern desperately want to get rid of him and most importantly why Klopp doesn't value him at 30 million? That alone tells you alot about so called top midfielder Thiago. Top coaches obviously don't think he is as important as the caf makes him out to be. I doubt Ole expressed any interest in him, Bayern have desperately tried to hurry up Liverpool to pay by bringing United's name into it, but Klopp and Liverpool have not fallen for it. It begs the question is Thiago all that ?
Your way of judging a players quality is by looking at who can afford him and judging him against players who play a different position? Not at what he actually does. Sounds reasonable

dasty

Firstly, he is dead set on joining Liverpool that's why he is "struggling" to find a club. Secondly, Bayern does not want to get rid of him at all. No idea where you heard that from. He is in his last year of contract and had expressed his desire to seek a new challenge, and Bayern reluctantly agreed to it because they are not Barcelona who hold their players hostage. Thirdly, if you have no idea about the player at all, it's better to just keep quiet.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He is not "struggling" to find club. Nor is Bayern desperate to move him on. If you can't see why people would like to see Thiago sign for us then maybe you have never watched him play or don't understand football.

Baneofthegame

Bayern wanted him to sign a new contract....

Mainoldo

He’s nowhere near as good as Scholes or Pirlo. However that’s exactly his style and he’s way better at doing it than most in the world right now. So get him.

James Peril

Absolute disaster of a post. I would be as arrogant as possible by saying that if you don't see why Thiago is world-class in his role after a few games in the CL, you know nothing about football and how the dynamics work. Thiago has made it clear he wants to play for Liverpool, it's kind of obvious for all other clubs. If you join the party now, you lose out to them regardless and look like a chump standing there in the end thinking you had a chance. Bayern would love to keep him, he has said he wants a new challenge - he just won the Champions League (best player on the pitch) - he wants to experience the Premier League. His contract is expiring and he isn't 21 years old/injuries, hence the price. Why aren't Liverpool paying up? Because they have no competition and know that the player only wants to join them, it's the easiest bargaining chip in the world of commerce. At the end of the day, he will sign for them either for a few million less or the price Bayern wants.

Thiago is one of very few players that can dictate a game for 90 minutes. Did you really mention McTominay in the first post? Wow... 4th best team in England, mentions McTominay in the same sentence when comparing the winner of the Champions League. We didn't even play in it.

Coops73

The football hipsters are out in full force in here.

People should be allowed to have opinions on whether they like/dislike certain players without being called idiots of having no footballing knowledge.(whatever that means)

I personally think he’s quality but I also thought Fellaini was just what we needed at United, so what the feck do I know.

UpWithRivers

To add to everyones replies
1) Bayern want to keep him but he wants a new challenge. They offered him a new contact. He probably wants more cash as well being his last contract
2) He wants to play in the Prem.
3) Everyone can pay 30 mill but the wages are the problem. If Liverpool pay him over 200 he will be the top paid player at the club. I think Salah is on 220 as the highest paid player. How do you think Henderson on 120 and Trent on 60/70 would feel after getting them a Champions League and Premiership title? They might decide to anyway but it would be a big risk. Also dont forget they passed up on Werner for 50 so something is up with their finances.
4) He does have injury concerns and is 29. That does fly in the face of a lot of clubs policies. Liverpool passed on Fekir for example due to injury concerns. They tend not to buy these kind of players.
5) Liverpool might be waiting in Wijnaldum decision. He has 1 year left and might go to Barca
6) He is set on joining Liverpool. So he will see if they want him before making a decision on where to go. But for reasons above it might take the scousers a bit longer to decide.
7) Every proffessional and his dog knows and says he is a class payer. That is without question. He is not the fancy player that scores 20 goals but toanyone that understands football he is world class for the type of footbller he is. If it wasnt for his contract he would be a 90/100 mill player
8) Just because its not reported doesnt mean nearly every club would take him. They would

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Feck him, I’m confident in our midfield after the signing of v.d Beek. All in on Sancho.

RooneyLegend

I'm sorry, but when you start comparing Pirlo and Scholes to Thiago, then I know you are way off track.
To coin your phrase, Thiago isn't fit to lace their boots, plus they are all inherently different players.
It's obvious your a Thiago fan boy, so I suggest we leave it at this.
Rubbish, did you just watch what he did in the CL?

Stretender

The football hipsters are out in full force in here.

People should be allowed to have opinions on whether they like/dislike certain players without being called idiots of having no footballing knowledge.(whatever that means)

I personally think he’s quality but I also thought Fellaini was just what we needed at United, so what the feck do I know.
Spot on my friend. Some people think they have a monopoly of wisdom and their opinion matters more than everyone else's.

Just to highlight some responses to my post:

James Peril - Disaster of a post. If you don't see why Thiago is world class, then you don't know anything about football.

Pratyush_utd - If you can't see why people want Thiago to sign for us, you don't know anything about football.

Dasty - If you have no idea about the player at all, it's better just to keep quiet.

Let me say it again, football is a game of opinions. I probably have watched more football players than some people on here but that is not something to brag about and it doesn't qualify me to be the best football fan ever.

As for Thiago, he is a good player no doubt, but I don't rate him as some of you do. Again that is my opinion having watched him enough. It seems am not alone in that sense. Ole, Jose, Arteta and Pirlo are not fighting for him as the must buy of the summer.

Iam glad that Ole has added Van De Beek to our midfield without selling anyone. That gives him more options. Who knows which academy player will grab his chance this season, the midfield is perfectly fine, no need to spend any more there when we have other areas to address.

Every one knows we need a right winger, left back, centre back and possibly striker. That is what the club should be focusing on now.

Finally just because Thiago plays well in a very well oiled Bayern Munich machine and has played in the Champions league final does not make him the best midfielder in the world. Kevin De Bruyne has never played in the Champions league final but in my opionion he is the best midfielder in the world. Some of you will disagree but that is my opinion and am not changing it.

Again saying things like you don't know anything about football doesn't make sense because everyone has their own opinion and as far as am concerned no one has a monopoly of wisdom.

Have a good day. Shirt number 7 is vacant, I hope it's a good sign that Sancho will sign. We need that kind of player.

Get young talent

Yeah, agree with Matic, Pogba does sometimes hold the ball too long, but I expect that to change with more fluidity in the team now.
More fluidity happen with new players

Exactly.

It's a no brainer
Don't ever compare this guy to the legendary Paul fecking Scholes mate. That is an insult to the ginger genius.

By the way does this guy take a yellow for every tacle he made ? That is why I thought...
[/QUOTE]

Relax, Scholes is an all time best, but in the current market, Thiago is the best

UncleBob

Spot on my friend. Some people think they have a monopoly of wisdom and their opinion matters more than everyone else's.

James Peril - Disaster of a post. If you don't see why Thiago is world class, then you don't know anything about football.

Pratyush_utd - If you can't see why people want Thiago to sign for us, you don't know anything about football.

Dasty - If you have no idea about the player at all, it's better just to keep quiet.

Let me say it again, football is a game of opinions. I probably have watched more football players than some people on here but that is not something to brag about and it doesn't qualify me to be the best football fan ever.

As for Thiago, he is a good player no doubt, but I don't rate him as some of you do. Again that is my opinion having watched him enough. It seems am not alone in that sense. Ole, Jose, Arteta and Pirlo are not fighting for him as the must buy of the summer.

Iam glad that Ole has added Van De Beek to our midfield without selling anyone. That gives him more options. Who knows which academy player will grab his chance this season, the midfield is perfectly fine, no need to spend any more there when we have other areas to address.

Every one knows we need a right winger, left back, centre back and possibly striker. That is what the club should be focusing on now.

Finally just because Thiago plays well in a very well oiled Bayern Munich machine and has played in the Champions league final does not make him the best midfielder in the world. Kevin De Bruyne has never played in the Champions league final but in my opionion he is the best midfielder in the world. Some of you will disagree but that is my opinion and am not changing it.

Again saying things like you don't know anything about football doesn't make sense because everyone has their own opinion and as far as am concerned no one has a monopoly of wisdom.

Have a good day. Shirt number 7 is vacant, I hope it's a good sign that Sancho will sign. We need that kind of player.
:lol:

Get young talent

People are agressive, because Thiago stand out so much that it's ridiculious to not want him for such low fee.

De Bruyne is an AM, Thiago is a CDM that can play CM and AM too.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
A injury free Thiago is the closest player to Iniesta.

Its funny how arrogant people are and say Scholes and Pirlo are 100% better players and clearly better. I am not saying Thiago is necessarily better, but he is definitely, or at least close to their level.

What can those 2 players do siginificantly better than Thiago ? I watched all 3 players in their prime and I can´t really think of anything.

Thiago became a defence beast over the years under coaches like Heynckes, Guardiola and Flick. His speed and ability to pass players from his position and creating space by himself is second to none out of any midfielders right now.

Like Scholes and Pirlo he is insanely good and calm in tight spaces. The pressing many teams nowadays plays is ware more agressive and intensive, so his flawless pressing resistency is even more impressive.

I believe Scholes, Pirlo and Alonso were slightly better in long range passing though.

But overall I am not convinced that Pirlo and Scholes were miles ahead of Thiago like some here depict.

Whenever he plays he does the job of a 6,8 and 10 at the same time every game. Thiago is a nobrainer , no matter how many CM`s you have.

Last edited:

croadyman

I will hold my hands up and admit I think far too much with my heart and not enough with head when it comes to this guy. I want the club to offer him the chance to be third best paid player behind Pogba even though I know that is utterly mad.

I presume that Ole has already asked DDG and Mata about his character both on and off the pitch.

Interesting to see his brother is now linked with another of our old enemies as well.

Last edited:

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

I could forgive your first post as you were uninformed, but this one is just pathetic. Every single one of the people you mentioned explained why your post was wrong, yet you turn it into an opinion thing. Firstly, Bayern don't want to sell, but won't stop Thiago from leaving when he expressed his desire to do so. Thiago has served Bayern well, and won't hold him hostage. Secondly, Liverpool are taking their time because they know Thiago has chosen them, and are waiting for the developments regarding Wijnaldum. These were the arguments you used and they have been rebutted.

These are not opinions, that is the way the situation is right now. Regarding Thiago's skill, that can be a matter of opinion. And I think pretty much everyone who watched him a few times would agree Thiago is genuine world class, hence the questioning whether you have even watched him if you doubt his quality.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Alonso, Torres, Suarez were all signed for reasonable prices and people on here hashed out the same arguments back then.

Lots of top class players transfer for reasonable prices with little competition for their signature.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I could forgive your first post as you were uninformed, but this one is just pathetic. Every single one of the people you mentioned explained why your post was wrong, yet you turn it into an opinion thing. Firstly, Bayern don't want to sell, but won't stop Thiago from leaving when he expressed his desire to do so. Thiago has served Bayern well, and won't hold him hostage. Secondly, Liverpool are taking their time because they know Thiago has chosen them, and are waiting for the developments regarding Wijnaldum. These were the arguments you used and they have been rebutted.

These are not opinions, that is the way the situation is right now. Regarding Thiago's skill, that can be a matter of opinion. And I think pretty much everyone who watched him a few times would agree Thiago is genuine world class, hence the questioning whether you have even watched him if you doubt his quality.
I completely agree with you on World Class, but I'm in complete disagreement with you on the 'matter of opinion' when it comes to skill.

There's a whole field of Mathematics in Statistics that allows economists, scientists and every discipline in life to make inferences about any domain based on data.

That's exactly where passes per game comes through, through-balls, dribbles in the form of descriptive statistics, and there's a whole field that's recently emerged in football in the form of xG in terms of expected from predictive modelling.

Teams can calculate the expected cost per assist of a player, the expected pound per km run over a season and so on.

Although for fans we see players for artistry, flare we label things like footballing intelligence, that a player is a CDM and not a CAM and so on, statistics can give you an insight into how a player will perform in various positions too.

Obviously there's some variability, and scouts will look at data and also have 'hunches' and some bias when it comes to players too, but I don't think it's opinion based or subjective either.

There are of course other factors which can't be modelled, such as the personality of the player, the motivations to moving to a club (money vs trophies) which could have an impact.

When you see a player like Lewandowski have a higher xG than other players, when you can predict him to get 45 goals next season and 12 assists, it's not even an opinion anymore, Lewandowski is World Class by definition. Anyone that exceeds him is also World Class.

Thiago is world class, comparisons against Uniteds current line-up also shows he's a step up in certain roles based on his passing, scouts, it's not even debatable.

https://www.footballcritic.com/rankings/the-best-bundesliga-players-in-2019-20-statistically/854

Thiago Alcantara
While the above two players will probably grab most of the headlines, another spectacular performer this campaign for Bayern has been Thiago Alcantara in midfield.

Very much the orchestrator from deeper areas, he has developed into a midfield metronome arguably as good as anyone in Europe.

He averages 92.3 passes P90 with a completion rate of 90%, with 23.8 of these passes being sent into the final third. Due to Bayern enjoying the majority of possession in nearly every game, he is not needed as much as other players in the defensive side of things. But, he is still within the top six players who have made the most ball recoveries P90, with 9.9.
Also Sancho

No Bundesliga discussion can exist without Jadon Sancho, who has enjoyed a superstar campaign, who has made 29 contributions in the form of 14 goals and 15 assists, the highest total of anyone in Germany.

He creates 0.7 Big Chances per game, with that score given more context by the fact that nobody in the league sends more passes into the final third than him, with 28.6 per game. BVB attempt to win the ball back as quickly as possible via high pressing, with Sancho also contributing 4.2 ball recoveries and 0.7 interceptions per game.
Football is Football but it's also distilled to a science now, losing the ball too much in the midfield, not making enough tackles and not making enough chances from the midfield? try and find a player which higher interceptions and pass completion and key-passes.

Those who are saying Thiago isn't World Class clearly have some form of bias, the numbers don't lie.

At 30M he's an absolute bargain, he's the best midfielder in the Bundesliga.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean, thinking that Pogba, VDB and Bruno are better is maybe still a valid opinion, even if I don't get how anybody could argue that after watching the CL final, but the bolded part.. jesus, that has parody potential :lol:

croadyman

I completely agree with you on World Class, but I'm in complete disagreement with you on the 'matter of opinion' when it comes to skill.

There's a whole field of Mathematics in Statistics that allows economists, scientists and every discipline in life to make inferences about any domain based on data.

That's exactly where passes per game comes through, through-balls, dribbles in the form of descriptive statistics, and there's a whole field that's recently emerged in football in the form of xG in terms of expected from predictive modelling.

Teams can calculate the expected cost per assist of a player, the expected pound per km run over a season and so on.

Although for fans we see players for artistry, flare we label things like footballing intelligence, that a player is a CDM and not a CAM and so on, statistics can give you an insight into how a player will perform in various positions too.

Obviously there's some variability, and scouts will look at data and also have 'hunches' and some bias when it comes to players too, but I don't think it's opinion based or subjective either.

When you see a player like Lewandowski have a higher xG than other players, when you can predict him to get 45 goals next season and 12 assists, it's not even an opinion anymore, Lewandowski is World Class by definition. Anyone that exceeds him is also World Class.

Thiago is world class, comparisons against Uniteds current line-up also shows he's a step up in certain roles based on his passing, scouts, it's not even debatable.

https://www.footballcritic.com/rankings/the-best-bundesliga-players-in-2019-20-statistically/854

Thiago Alcantara

Also Sancho

Football is Football but it's also distilled to a science now, losing the ball too much in the midfield, not making enough tackles and not making enough chances from the midfield? try and find a player which higher interceptions and pass completion and key-passes.

Those who are saying Thiago isn't World Class clearly have some form of bias, the numbers don't lie.

At 30M he's an absolute bargain, he's the best midfielder in the Bundesliga.
Yeah there is no doubt about that,just a shame he is going to join our most sworn enemy probably next week,however when someone has their heart set on a move elsewhere there's nothing we can do to change it.

meamth

It's the wage package dude. Not the fee.

He is comfortably on the elite level of a player, nobody can doubt that.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The "why sign Thiago and Van de Beek when we already have Bruno and Pogba" crowd are probably the same lot who bitch about the lack of quality when McTominay, Lingard and Fred play.

I swear, some of our fan base just don't understand football other than strongest eleven for their Fifa career mode. Pogba has one big injury a season, and VDB and Thiago are both versatile. Both signings would make sense. Say Pogba and Matic are both unavailable, as they often are, which looks better

this
Bruno
Thiago VDB

or this

Bruno
Fred McTominay
I know which one I'm picking.

VDB, Thiago, a starting centre back & Sancho would be an exceptional window. I'm greedy, I want a left back too. I don't ever want to see Williams at LB ever again, but I'll take the 4 and pray Shaw can stay fit.

Josh 76

The "why sign Thiago and Van de Beek when we already have Bruno and Pogba" crowd are probably the same lot who bitch about the lack of quality when McTominay, Lingard and Fred play.

I swear, some of our fan base just don't understand football other than strongest eleven for their Fifa career mode. Pogba has one big injury a season, and VDB and Thiago are both versatile. Both signings would make sense.

VDB, Thiago, a starting centre back & Sancho would be an exceptional window. I'm greedy, I want a left back too. I don't ever want to see Williams at LB ever again, but I'll take the 4 and pray Shaw can stay fit.
Good post.

croadyman

I swear, some of our fan base just don't understand football other than strongest eleven for their Fifa career mode. Pogba has one big injury a season, and VDB and Thiago are both versatile. Both signings would make sense.

How about a window of just VDB, Sancho & LB. I only say that because it's looking more likely we are prepared to wait for Upamecano next summer,maybe even Konate if he was to outshine him.

Josh 76

Yeah there is no doubt about that,just a shame he is going to join our most sworn enemy probably next week,however when someone has their heart set on a move elsewhere there's nothing we can do to change it.
Werner had his heart set on a move to Anfield.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How about a window of just VDB, Sancho & LB. I only say that because it's looking more likely we are prepared to wait for Upamecano next summer,maybe even Konate if he was to outshine him.
I'd take it, only if we keep Smalling though. We can't go into the season with only Maguire and Lindelof. Yes, I know we have Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Mengi etc. But in terms of reliable centre backs who are going to be available, we need more than 2. Especially with everything that has happened with Maguire.

If we don't have a CB lined up, letting Smalling go would be a terrible move. We should have learned our lesson from last summer.

Reddevildans

Dont see the point in buying him if we have strengthened that area of the pitch with DVB. The gaping hole that is the right hand side needs urgent reinforcement. We now have enough defensive cover ( mctom, fred, matic) and creativity (pogba, DVB, bruno) for us to be looking elsewhere on the pitch to strengthen. Hes absolutely quality no doubt and if he was to sign for liverpool he will improve them but signing someone like sancho will win us an extra 10-12 points from last season. Would tiago have the same impact in an already congested midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.