Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
A nice dive into civil posting manners...

All for the use of the term "skint".

Oh, you did, and that's why I expressed my doubts due to you being ski...financially constrained
[

Several times actually, I won't start quoting my posting from the last 2 pages.

So not only you're complaining about a lack of civil behaviour while hurling insults along the way as you see fit, you're also not shy of twisting narratives.

[
I'm under no obligation to stay polite towards someone who imo can't do the same for me, mate. And if you question my intentions, just look at how reasonable my first reply to you was. You reap what you sow.

Suedesi

A injury free Thiago is the closest player to Iniesta.

Its funny how arrogant people are and say Scholes and Pirlo are 100% better players and clearly better. I am not saying Thiago is necessarily better, but he is definitely, or at least close to their level.

What can those 2 players do siginificantly better than Thiago ? I watched all 3 players in their prime and I can´t really think of anything.

Thiago became a defence beast over the years under coaches like Heynckes, Guardiola and Flick. His speed and ability to pass players from his position and creating space by himself is second to none out of any midfielders right now.

Like Scholes and Pirlo he is insanely good and calm in tight spaces. The pressing many teams nowadays plays is ware more agressive and intensive, so his flawless pressing resistency is even more impressive.

I believe Scholes, Pirlo and Alonso were slightly better in long range passing though.

But overall I am not convinced that Pirlo and Scholes were miles ahead of Thiago like some here depict.

Whenever he plays he does the job of a 6,8 and 10 at the same time every game. Thiago is a nobrainer , no matter how many CM`s you have.
WTF?

:houllier:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I dont disagree with your logic. Xavi said pretty much the same himself in an interview recently. The tiki-taka midfield model of death by a thousand passes has now been shelved for a more athletic, powerful and dynamic midfielders. Problem is that it takes planning from sporting director downwards and Barcelona keep sacking theirs at board level its a mess. Thiago at a minimum though similar to players at Barcelona already is home grown La Masia product and can play the new midfield game as he demonstrated at Bayern Munich. He buys the board some time as he would be a coming home. Though as people have said he probably wants to play in PL. There probably is an ideal player to take the 3rd midfield slot alongside De Jong and Puig in the long run, i just dont know who that would be.
Barca paid a lot of money for De Jong, who really is utilized best as a single pivot. While being an upgrade, Thiago wouldn't exactly close a gap there. Bringing in an energetic water carrier makes more sense for them, as they do not have that type of player in their midfield. So, from that point of view, it's not hard to see why Koeman would want a player like Wijnaldum.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I'm under no obligation to stay polite towards someone who imo can't do the same for me, mate. And if you question my intentions, just look at how reasonable my first reply to you was. You reap what you sow.
Just stop trying to brazenly claim the moral highground while doing all that, mkay?

Suedesi

A nice dive into civil posting manners...

All for the use of the term "skint".

Oh, you did, and that's why I expressed my doubts due to you being ski...financially constrained
[

Several times actually, I won't start quoting my posting from the last 2 pages.

So not only you're complaining about a lack of civil behaviour while hurling insults along the way as you see fit, you're also not shy of twisting narratives.

[
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/bild-accuse-thiago-alcantara-of-lies-major-liverpool-transfer-update

Interesting article in Bild (via Teamtalk).... is it me or quite a number of Liverpool transfers happen this way even before Covid? Where they agree a transfer with a player to an extent that player only wants to go to them but then they to drag it out and try to pay the lowest amount possible? Is that what happened with VVD also?
Ironically, that's actually what Bayern likes to do.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What was your take on it, as a Lfc fan?
Nothing much to have a take on since it's just facts and insight? And not for this thread probably. But we depend too much on player sales to remain profitable. Our revenue is increasing but since the quality of our players have improved tremendously since Klopp has taken over, our costs have also increased a lot because of higher wages. Financially, we were run horribly before FSG and it's quite amazing that we've made such a transformation in such a relatively short period of time. But seems like there isn't enough money to go crazy in the market now - I'm not for taking out external loans for that, and FSG seem unwilling to inject more money into the club because they want us to be self-sustainable).

Long story short we had to play a lot of catch-up with teams like yourself, City and Chelsea but I think we've done well and right now have to adapt to our new financial position (higher wages being the main thing). That sucks because we can't invest in our team while we're on top, but it is what it is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I dont disagree with your logic. Xavi said pretty much the same himself in an interview recently. The tiki-taka midfield model of death by a thousand passes has now been shelved for a more athletic, powerful and dynamic midfielders. Problem is that it takes planning from sporting director downwards and Barcelona keep sacking theirs at board level its a mess. Thiago at a minimum though similar to players at Barcelona already is home grown La Masia product and can play the new midfield game as he demonstrated at Bayern Munich. He buys the board some time as he would be a coming home. Though as people have said he probably wants to play in PL. There probably is an ideal player to take the 3rd midfield slot alongside De Jong and Puig in the long run, i just dont know who that would be.
You literary just mentioned the tiki-taka midfield model has now been shelved and yet you expect Barcelona to sign a player like Thiago to move forward when they already have Pjanic & De Jong in the squad. If anything, they don't need another player that plays in deep playmaker role like Thiago when they already have De Jong & Pjanic.

Bayern has Goretzka or Kimmich who offers the dynamic or the energy playing next to Thiago. It's about the balance and at the moment Barcelona midfield doesn't have the balance to compliment De Jong and Pjanic. Thiago is too similar player to play with those two, offer similar strength and weaknesses.

red thru&thru

Nothing much to have a take on since it's just facts and insight? And not for this thread probably. But we depend too much on player sales to remain profitable. Our revenue is increasing but since the quality of our players have improved tremendously since Klopp has taken over, our costs have also increased a lot because of higher wages. Financially, we were run horribly before FSG and it's quite amazing that we've made such a transformation in such a relatively short period of time. But seems like there isn't enough money to go crazy in the market now - I'm not for taking out external loans for that, and FSG seem unwilling to inject more money into the club because they want us to be self-sustainable).

Long story short we had to play a lot of catch-up with teams like yourself, City and Chelsea but I think we've done well and right now have to adapt to our new financial position (higher wages being the main thing). That sucks because we can't invest in our team while we're on top, but it is what it is.
Thanks for this. Yea, may not be exactly for this thread but still interesting to see why the potential delays in this deal.

Just crazy to see how a club like Newcastle, who furloughed their staff, are spending so much more, especially when their owner doesn't even want them.

Suedesi

That was actually a very interesting read into our finances.
Indeed. So, on the balance of probabilities do you think you get Thiago or does he stay at Bayern?

I'm not even considering Man Utd as a legitimate possibility at this point.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Indeed. So, on the balance of probabilities do you think you get Thiago or does he stay at Bayern?

I'm not even considering Man Utd as a legitimate possibility at this point.
I don't have a clue. I think if he's still at Bayern when the Bundesliga starts that it probably won't happen anymore (hence my "I think we will get clarity one way or another by next weekend" comment on the last page).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I like it much better when we're the ones doing it though
Only thing missing is Liverpool fans claiming that Thiago isn't good enough anyway when it all goes down the drain ;)

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
This is the downside to having hedge fund managers as owners. However we still need to get at least Thiago in.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I think you guys are going to have a lot of frustration over the next few years.

I suspect complaints of "I just can't believe we stood still after winning the league and let the squad age and decline and then failed to replace Klopp with a quality manager when he left at the end of his contract"

At least that's what I'm hoping for :D

Giggsy13

I think you guys are going to have a lot of frustration over the next few years.

I suspect complaints of "I just can't believe we stood still after winning the league and let the squad age and decline and then failed to replace Klopp with a quality manager when he left at the end of his contract"

The only way for the dippers to rebuild is selling one of Mane, Salah or Firmino (possibly two) to fund purchases of younger players in the same positions. Not that I want them to do that but seems like the prudent strategy while letting them continue to boast about being the net spend champions.

Skeezix

I was curious as to why liverpool are so skint this season. Then found this video. Don't know to what extent it is true, but I trust it.
Mainly says that the owner John Henry invested around 100 million US dollars when he purchased it. He doesn't extract money from the club, but rather spends it on rebuilding and renovating Anfield.
Also, they have a very high wage bill (among top 3 in the EPL, next to Man City) - and their recent buys - VVD, Allison, Keita, Mane, Salah has finally caught them up on transfer payments and wage bill; while at the same time the PL prize money is not more than 30-40 million pounds from finishing 2nd or 3rd in the table. Even then, their owners(FSG) have been very good at managing the club I'd say.

In short, it truly seems that they cannot purchase (Thiago) without selling one of their star players first.

croadyman

I was curious as to why liverpool are so skint this season. Then found this video. Don't know to what extent it is true, but I trust it.
Mainly says that the owner John Henry invested around 100 million US dollars when he purchased it. He doesn't extract money from the club, but rather spends it on rebuilding and renovating Anfield.
Also, they have a very high wage bill (among top 3 in the EPL, next to Man City) - and their recent buys - VVD, Allison, Keita, Mane, Salah has finally caught them up on transfer payments and wage bill; while at the same time the PL prize money is not more than 30-40 million pounds from finishing 2nd or 3rd in the table. Even then, their owners(FSG) have been very good at managing the club I'd say.

In short, it truly seems that they cannot purchase (Thiago) without selling one of their star players first.
Well they are selling Wijnaldum by the looks of it so that will solve that problem easily enough in this window

Skeezix

Well they are selling Wijnaldum by the looks of it so that will solve that problem easily enough in this window
Selling Wijnaldum could actually destabilise that midfield. Thiago is terrific, but his injury record is known to us all.
Ideally, they should have been in a position to sign Thiago without selling Wijnaldum. But yeah.. I'm liking it that they are skint at this point in time. :lol:

croadyman

Seen some talk on social media that we have walked away from this deal which guts me but I can understand why.

There was something on Sky earlier about them waiting until January for him in order to save money but still think they get him now.

Last edited:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

Been thinking this for a while now, our recruitment team have been brilliant at identifying targets and Werner was a great fit. Not getting both him and Thiago this summer might end up being one of those crossroads moments we look back on in a few years. Especially heading towards the end of klopps contract. I still expect us to compete this year and I guess we’ll see how it all plays out in the end.

croadyman

Been thinking this for a while now, our recruitment team have been brilliant at identifying targets and Werner was a great fit. Not getting both him and Thiago this summer might end up being one of those crossroads moments we look back on in a few years. Especially heading towards the end of klopps contract. I still expect us to compete this year and I guess we’ll see how it all plays out in the end.
You will get Thiago no problem much as it pains me to admit it

Amarsdd

Is this just a case of the owners being stingy or a case of poor commercialization to earn money from their popularity? Surely, with the fanbase you guys have and having won CL and PL in the last two years, how can you be this skint even with considering the pandemic?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Is this just a case of the owners being stingy or a case of poor commercialization to earn money from their popularity? Surely, with the fanbase you guys have and having won CL and PL in the last two years, how can you be this skint even with considering the pandemic?
Funnily enough we’ve actually done really well on the commercial side of things, and whilst we’re not quite united levels yet we’ve bridged the gap massively in the last decade.

It’s a combination of the owners being overly cautious which they always have been and the pandemic. They’re not going to take risks for circumstances they can’t foresee and risks they can’t mitigate. The highest wage bills in the league are often the ones that occupy the top positions and ours has risen considerably in the last few years. Which only lends credence to that theory, however I don’t think we yet generate enough to have that happen and spend enough on the team.

I haven’t really studied the financials at all but I think barring covid we have one of the healthiest sets of accounts around. So the issue I’m having is they’re being ultra cautious whilst we’re in a position of strength. I don’t really think the money isn’t there for Thiago Werner etc excuse really holds up. The bigger problem is when klopp isn’t around at least it’s a long while away yet in football terms.

Cloud7

The world of finances in football really is a crazy thing when you think about the fact that one of the best supported teams in the world, that won the CL last season, and the PL this season, can't really spend any substantial money.

DevilRed

So, how skint are Liverpool?

Time for a Twitter thread from the Swiss Ramble....

Very insightful.

Interesting to see that spurs have HALF the wage bill the other top 6 clubs have. No wonder they are making a profit. But it also means that their players are running down their contracts and leaving for nothing.

Owning a premier league club isn't exactly a lucrative business is it? I can only imagine how Covid will continue to impact everyones bottom line.

tombombadil

The killer for all clubs right now is that they lose tens of millions of pounds if not a hundred million pounds from the loss of match day revenue. That's not an easy loss of revenue to absorb while still spending millions on transfers.

AneRu

Funnily enough we’ve actually done really well on the commercial side of things, and whilst we’re not quite united levels yet we’ve bridged the gap massively in the last decade.

It’s a combination of the owners being overly cautious which they always have been and the pandemic. They’re not going to take risks for circumstances they can’t foresee and risks they can’t mitigate. The highest wage bills in the league are often the ones that occupy the top positions and ours has risen considerably in the last few years. Which only lends credence to that theory, however I don’t think we yet generate enough to have that happen and spend enough on the team.

I haven’t really studied the financials at all but I think barring covid we have one of the healthiest sets of accounts around. So the issue I’m having is they’re being ultra cautious whilst we’re in a position of strength. I don’t really think the money isn’t there for Thiago Werner etc excuse really holds up. The bigger problem is when klopp isn’t around at least it’s a long while away yet in football terms.
It's understandable given the pandemic but last season you didn't spend big too so you have to wonder.

I think your owners are just a nicer and more competent but just as cynical version of the Glazers so recognize that the financial benefits of winning the PL and the CL arent much different from finishing 3rd and making the semis in both competitions. They know the squad they got is good enough to achieve that and more for a couple of years.

It's a shame because adding Thiago and Werner to your squad would have made you hot favourites for two big titles.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When we were lamenting on 6th, our players demanding 200k-350k/wk. Just imagine if these pompous players are winning CL and the League. No wonder we still need to spend hundreds of millions every window just to hit the target, which is Top 4.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
These types of transfers never end up working out & no one will know that better than Klopp.

Losing engine players for technical players requires a certain balance - a balance Klopp doesnt have across the whole squad.

Davie Moyes

These types of transfers never end up working out & no one will know that better than Klopp.

Losing engine players for technical players requires a certain balance - a balance Klopp doesnt have across the whole squad.
I hope you are right and that's how it turns out if he does go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.