Thiago Motta - Bologna

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
McKenna is not doing ‘ok’ at Ipswich, such ridiculous assessment calls credibility of your point into question. Ge brought them straight from League One to the top of the league again. He’s doing an incredible job.
Against the budgets or Leeds, Leicester and Southampton too. Remarkable.

SER19

How did McKenna and Carrick go from being nepo hires under Solskjær to being hot shot managerial options for the club in the span of two seasons? McKenna is doing ok with Ipswich and might get them promoted but it’s not like they’ve been the utterly dominant stand out team in that league and achieving promotion itself is no guarantee of suitability for a club with champions league ambitions. Lampard did as much with derby and he’s been shockingly shit since his first season at Chelsea. Daniel Farke keeps getting Norwich promoted and subsequently getting them relegated every other season.
I dont think mckenna should be considered for United now, but this is a crazy understatement. Do you know what condition ipswich were in when he took over? It hasnt happened yet, but if he got promotion this season what he has done at ipswich will be one of the best lower league achievements of all time, and even if it doesnt happen, the fact its so close means that to say he's doing 'ok' is a really terrible assessment

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Against the budgets or Leeds, Leicester and Southampton too. Remarkable.
I know the connection is lazily made in just about every context these days but, a job well done at Nice would be a perfect stepping stone for McKenna to United.

The-Mezzala

Heard he gas agreed a deal with Juventus to take over from Alegri. Out of all the managers linked with United to take over if ETH is sacked. He was the most interesting option. But not sure we have the players that would suit his philosophy

Last edited:

atkar83

Heard he gas agreed a deal with Juventus to take over from Alegri. Out of all the managers linked with United to take over if ETH is sacked. He was the most interesting option. But not sure we have the players that would suit his philosophy
These players would not fit any winning philosophy. I think thats why Ineos said they'd build a team and hire a manager to manage that team, not build a team around a boss that may not be there next season. If they can assemble the right type of players, then there will be a base there for any good coach to work with

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
His Bologna team play some lovely football. They just scored a decent goal against Roma. Leading 1-0

DJ_21

Yep. Looks to be heading to Juve this summer.
Be a decent move for him. Moving to a bigger Italian team. If I was him though I’d of done what alonso has and stayed with the current team for another year if he gets them CL.

DJ_21

When I watch teams like this play so good in possession makes me jealous. They pass between the lines and take risks. Where as we forever pass back and lose the ball all the time.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
They pass between the lines and take risks.
This clip went viral couple years back.

Bologna have some tricky fixtures remaining, the one which sticks out to me is Genoa given it was one of Inter's toughest games of the season. I hope they've qualified for UCL by then.

The-Mezzala

I wish we were getting him.
I am the same, him and Alonso are the best young managers in Europe. I am bit surprised he is going to Juventus. Going to be a big change in philosophy from having Allegri. I was thinking he would replace Xavi at Barcelona.

didz

I am the same, him and Alonso are the best young managers in Europe. I am bit surprised he is going to Juventus. Going to be a big change in philosophy from having Allegri. I was thinking he would replace Xavi at Barcelona.
I thought Motta to Barca was a banker too and I'm not sure Juve is a good move for him at all.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I thought Motta to Barca was a banker too and I'm not sure Juve is a good move for him at all.
It's a good move for both Juve and him: expectations are low, they are desperate for a manager to lead their squad reconstruction. He won't have the pressure to win, but still has to reach a top 4 position though.

didz

It's a good move for both Juve and him: expectations are low, they are desperate for a manager to lead their squad reconstruction. He won't have the pressure to win, but still has to reach a top 4 position though.
But Juve never seem to get on with these newfangled fancy fresh coaches do they? And looking at their squad, I can see maybe 3 players who fit the playing style Motta has earned plaudits with at Bologna. It's not like they've got the finances to buy him a new team either.

didz

When have they ever tried one in the last 15 years or so?

Unless you are talking about Pirlo who wasn't even a manager.
That's kind of my point - they have a proud tradition of being defensive and practical. It's just weird thinking about a positive, possession-focused coach being at the helm there. I seem to remember them not liking Sarri at all despite him winning them the league. Think they sacked him straight after.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
But Juve never seem to get on with these newfangled fancy fresh coaches do they? And looking at their squad, I can see maybe 3 players who fit the playing style Motta has earned plaudits with at Bologna. It's not like they've got the finances to buy him a new team either.
You might be surprised by what a good coach can get out of their players. Allegri is the most negative manager I've ever seen, it doesn't surprise me that nobody really shines under him these days.

didz

You might be surprised by what a good coach can get out of their players. Allegri is the most negative manager I've ever seen, it doesn't surprise me that nobody really shines under him these days.
I hope so. I get a bit of a nostalgia hit watching Juventus since I grew up watching them quite a lot, but they've made it bloody hard work lately.

DJ_21

That's kind of my point - they have a proud tradition of being defensive and practical. It's just weird thinking about a positive, possession-focused coach being at the helm there. I seem to remember them not liking Sarri at all despite him winning them the league. Think they sacked him straight after.
Ye someone like Mourinho probably fits there philosophy a lot better and they wouldn’t have to change most of there team for him.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
His Bologna team play some lovely football. They just scored a decent goal against Roma. Leading 1-0
Must admit I haven't watched Bologna this season but they've only scored 48 goals in 33 games (and conceded 26). So I assumed he was another stereotypical, low-risk Italian manager. What am I missing?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ye someone like Mourinho probably fits there philosophy a lot better and they wouldn’t have to change most of there team for him.
They need to change Allegri for someone like Motta because their team isn't made for Allegri and needs a guy like Motta

DJ_21

They need to change Allegri for someone like Motta because their team isn't made for Allegri and needs a guy like Motta
But they’ve been trained to play how Allegri wants them to so it will take a long time to retrain them Mottas way.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But they’ve been trained to play how Allegri wants them to so it will take a long time to retrain them Mottas way.
Not really. Allegri isn't some tactical fanatic teaching them to play a certain way or anything. There's not much to "unlearn" there. They also haven't won with Allegri, so they don't have the proof of his ideas and methods equating success ingrained in their minds. And watching them play, as much as Allegri tried, he never could get them to fully buy in and execute to a high enough level

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Yes and their board have really, really wanted Guardiola for years. Someone like Motta can either give them the success and type of football they demand or bridge the gap until a window opens up for them to get Pep

DJ_21

Must admit I haven't watched Bologna this season but they've only scored 48 goals in 33 games (and conceded 26). So I assumed he was another stereotypical, low-risk Italian manager. What am I missing?
Maybe that’s down to a lack of clinical players? They certainly create tons of chances. Before beating Roma 3-1 they drew there previous 2 games 0-0 but having dominated the other teams. They pass the ball nicely and keep hold of the possession the 2nd best in there league only behind Napoli.

DJ_21

Yes and their board have really, really wanted Guardiola for years. Someone like Motta can either give them the success and type of football they demand or bridge the gap until a window opens up for them to get Pep
Do we really think pep will join them? They don’t have enough money for him.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fantastic result again last night and seriously hope they get over the line. Also agree I thought he would end up at Barca.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Pirlo was different: he was a personal choice from the CEO, simply because they saw Pirlo as a symbol of the club, he also promised that modern brand of football and everybody wants to find the next Guardiola.
The end result was that having a lot of knowledge of the game is quite different from knowing how to apply your knowledge, and Juve actually still had a solid squad when Pirlo was in charge.

Now I really doubt someone is expecting Juve to win the title if you take a look at both Milan clubs squads. And with all the financial restrictions they are having at the moment everyone will expect to be a roller-coaster in the first season.