Thierry Henry leaves Sky Sports to concentrate on coaching career

Brophs

The One and Only
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-sky-sports-to-concentrate-on-coaching-career

Thierry Henry is leaving Sky Sports to concentrate on his coaching career.

Henry, who joined the Sky Sports team in 2015, has been Belgium's assistant manager since 2016 under Roberto Martinez, and returns from this summer's World Cup after a third-place finish in Russia.

The 40-year-old has offered his expert analysis on English football's biggest matches over the past three-and-a-half seasons, as well as interviewing the Premier League's top names in Paul Pogba, Alexis Sanchez, Harry Kane and more.

Henry said on social media: "Over the last four years I have had some extremely rewarding coaching experiences in football. These experiences have only made me more determined to fulfil my long-term ambition to become a football manager.

"It is with sadness, therefore, that I have decided that I must leave Sky Sports to enable me to spend more time on the pitch and concentrate on my journey to achieving that goal.

"I would like to thank everyone at Sky for making me feel so welcome and at ease throughout my time with them and I wish them all the best for the future. Great memories."

During his playing career, Henry lifted more than 35 major individual and team trophies including the World Cup and European Championship for France, the Champions League and La Liga with Barcelona, the Premier League and FA Cup at Arsenal, the French League at Monaco and the MLS Shield with the New York Red Bulls.

He was twice winner of the European Golden boot, four times winner of the English Premier League Golden Boot, five times winner of the French Player of the Year, three-time winner of the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year at Arsenal and twice winner of the PFA Players' Player of the Year.

Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis said: "Thierry is a true Premier League legend and we've loved having him as part of our coverage. For four years he has helped us take viewers closer to the game, getting tremendous insight in speaking to the biggest names in football and analysing matches as someone fresh from the dressing room of the biggest clubs.

"We're sorry he's leaving us but we've known he has a real passion for coaching and he has our full support in making that career every bit as successful as his playing days."
Shite pundit, tbf. At least this means no more weird, awkward interviews with players who have to listen to him tell them how brilliant they are for 15 mins.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Legend.

I will miss his round the houses punditry driving Souness mental. :drool:

Canagel

I liked Henry as a pundit. Will be missed at Carrington I guess. :lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Isn't it a bit weird for a media organisation to say he's "got their full support" rather than just wish him well when he goes to a different industry?

Shame, I quite liked him. Its always good to have a) a player who played sometime in the last century and b) was world class.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Get the feeling he'll be turning up in some big managerial roles before long.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would absolutely love it if Mourinho brought him in to continue working with Lukaku and I wouldn’t rule it out either.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Would love to have him here in a coaching capacity for say a year or two before he goes into management. If he's to go anywhere though it is pretty nailed on to be Arsenal.

Sylar

If he had done this a year or two ago like Wenger wanted, he would have been at Arsenal right? UNless he was waiting for Wenger to leave? hmm

FujiVice

Put Lukaku to one side for a minute, I think Martial would benefit greatly from Henry. He'd be perfect for him.

ti vu

Not a controversial pundit, but kinda yes man at sometimes. He wouldn't be great entertaining pundit while hes some good feedback at the coach. Very young in coach age, so I think it's great decision to concentrate on coaching. Coaching would require plenty of experience and timing. Surely he wouldn't want to miss when good position open just because he doesn't prepare himself with experience, connection, backroom staffs... He can always come back to punditry any time, evidently bunch of failed coaches are pundits.

Green_Red

Isn't it a bit weird for a media organisation to say he's "got their full support" rather than just wish him well when he goes to a different industry?
Skysports think he is retiring from their football club. Shouldnt be surprised by those bunch of twats really.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I read cooking career...
Would be alot more interesting, or atleast funny

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Henry’s heart never seemed totally into punditry, best he concentrates on coaching.

IrishRedDevil

Fair play. Let the numpties stay on tv and hide from the real world.

I hope United offer him some kind of temporary coaching role. He seems to have admiration for United and has connections with the likes of Pogba, Lukaku and Martial.

el3mel

Great decision for him, bad decision for viewers as he'll surely be replaced by a crap pundit.

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
I enjoyed him as a pundit, always good to hear from a relatively recently retired, top class player.

I expect him to make a really good manager, he's a very bright individual, with a real passion for the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

luke511

His punditry career started off very poorly but in the last year or two he definitely stepped it up. No doubt his time at Sky has improved his ability to express his opinion properly in English and will benefit him in his coaching career.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Gonna miss his glistening beard and dapper suits.

What a beautiful man :drool:

Zoo

Meanwhile Redknapp will continue spouting hot air on there for years to come.

C'est Moi Cantona

Never liked him really, but when you compare him with Souness, Redknapp, Neville, and the loss of credibility Carragher, then it's a big loss, especially as very likeable Lampard won't be about this season either, they really need some new blood.

fallengt

He has to start from somewhere first. Ask him to join us as attacking coach .

Last edited:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Get him in as an attacking coach, he seems to have morphed into a United fan ever since retiring anyway.

stubie

Sky need to get rid of Sournes and Redknapp, need to freshen it up

Also the entire Soccer Saturday panel need replacing alongside Kamara

stu_1992

He grew on me as a pundit so it's a bit disappointing he's going. Especially if I have to listen to even more Redknapp. Hopefully they get someone decent in to replace him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That's disappointing. Really liked him at it. Thought his views on Utd were pretty unbiased too.

Carragher is the only other Sky Sports pundit I can actually tolerate these days (and Neville, unless he's talking about Utd) and, well... not sure how much screen time he'll get anymore.

CA1

I actually thought he was a poor pundit, he wasn't great at getting ideas across. He came across a good guy though after me hating him as a player.

He could have a lot to offer in the coaching world, good luck to him.