Things you might not know about United

Pace Abuser

We should have had Ronaldinho. The deal was done. Untill Gill pissed off PSG by sending them one million less than the agreed fee. PSG took less money from Barcelona to prove a principle.

redmanx

Been a fan since 1979 and I had no idea David Platt was a Utd apprentice, and that he and Mark Hughes were offered to West Brom in 1981 as part of the Bryan Robson deal. West brom weren't interested apparently. Never knew that.

Edit: the part about Platt and Hughes being offered to West Brom may need confirming, as it was told me by my friend in work who is a big West Brom fan.
I believe Ron Atkinson was a big admirer of Hughes.

redmanx

During the Fergie years we were secretly owned by the illuminati - hence the record success. Fergies retirement happened to coincidence with a reshaping of the illuminati global business model and so they sold thier secret shares in United to the Freemason Glazers. Since then success has eluded us.
And the Church of Scientology was going to provide us with a steady flow of Venusian kids for our youth teams. Dear bog in heaven.

redmanx

Bill Foulkes and Nobby Stiles hold the club record for most own goals with 5 each. Phil Jones is trailing miserably with a paltry 3
Give him time, Foulkes and Nobby played more games than he has.

Agila Dathi

We should have had Ronaldinho. The deal was done. Untill Gill pissed off PSG by sending them one million less than the agreed fee. PSG took less money from Barcelona to prove a principle.
wait what?? I thought the prick Kenyon had something to do with that, tried to lure him to Chelsea while still working for Man Utd.

decorativeed

wait what?? I thought the prick Kenyon had something to do with that, tried to lure him to Chelsea while still working for Man Utd.
Yeah, Gill wasn't CEO when Barca signed Ronaldinho, Kenyon was. It looks like yet another 'fact' in this thread that's made up.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Peter Beardsley once played for United, no seriously he did, sorry no links.
According to Wikipedia, he was on the books, but never played,

1982–1983 Manchester United 0 (0)

Although this entry contradicts that:

During 1982-83, he also spent time at Canadian club Vancouver Whitecaps and Manchester United, although his period at United was unsuccessful, making only one single appearance in a League Cup tie, and otherwise failing to break into the first team. Eventually, in September 1983 he was signed back to Newcastle United.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
1. United's first ever loan signing was Geoff Thomas from Swansea City in December 1973.
2. In the late 1970's we tried to sign Iranian keeper Nasser Hejazi.
3. Former United player Leslie Lievesley died in the Torino 'Superga' plane crash in 1949 that killed most of their team.
4. Matt Busby, a Scot, once played for an England X1 during the Second World War.
5. Arthur Rowley, Jack Rowley's younger brother, made his United debut in 1941 aged 15 years and five days old! Our youngest ever player.
6. Nobby Stiles scored a hat-trick in his first ever game for United in a junior match at Sale. He was out done by Tommy Spratt who was making his debut in the same game...he scored 14.
7. Ron Davies and Wyn Davies who played for United in the 1970's have the same first name...Ronald.
8. Managers Walter Winterbottom, Harry Haslam and Tony Waddington were all United juniors.
9. Charlie Mitten once scored three penalties in the same game against Aston Villa in the late 1940's.
10. Peter Beardsley was once on United's books...!!!!

Chairman Steve

Paolo Di Canio was very close to going to Utd, but fell through because of West Ham’s £3m asking price and Utd being unable to find a buyer for Dwight Yorke.

Sir Alex had rung Di Canio by telephone on Christmas Day 2001 and in an initial exchange, Di Canio had inadvertently told Sir Alex to feck off, thinking someone was winding him up.

Diego Forlan was instead bought in January 2002 after a Di Canio deal fell through.

Chipper

Adulterer.
The use of the name "Manchester United" was first used to describe a team consisting of players from several different Manchester teams to take part in a benefit match. The name resonated with people and was put forward as an option when Newton Heath wanted to re-name itself.
Another one on Newton Heath and changing names - A few years before changing to Manchester United we attempted to change it to Manchester Football Club but there was already a team just called Manchester so we weren't allowed.

Manchester is what Manchester Rugby Club is now. They played rugby and football. Rugby was called rugby football/considered a form of football. They were the first team from Manchester to enter the FA Cup.

Last edited: