Thinking of getting a tablet device...

Irrational.

Hi folks, I'm currently in the process of buying a tablet and am overwhelmed by all the different options available.

The main use I would be getting from the tablet would be reading and multimedia use (mostly watching movies/ browsing the web).

Which tablet would you recommend?

I've managed to narrow it down a bit. I don't think an Apple product will be for me, so currently I'm torn between the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" and the Nexus 10. Which is the better product? Are there any other better alternatives?

Your views would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

onesaf

Hi folks, I'm currently in the process of buying a tablet and am overwhelmed by all the different options available.

The main use I would be getting from the tablet would be reading and multimedia use (mostly watching movies/ browsing the web).

I've managed to narrow it down a bit. I don't think an Apple product will be for me, so currently I'm torn between the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" and the Nexus 10. Which is the better product? Are there any other better alternatives?

Well if you go for the Nexus 10 it is Android so you will be able to use the fantastic Show Box app assuming of course you don't mind watching free TV and Movies ;)

Leg-End

Can't go wrong with either of them but I'd favour the Nexus 10.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Lenovo Yoga Tab looks very interesting. Comes in 8 or 10". It's specifically designed for multimedia in as much as it has a built in stand and soundbar (front facing stereo speakers) and it also comes with different storage choices 8gb/16gb. I think it ships with jellybean instead of the latest kitkat android version, though. I hope that isn't too much of an Obstacle. for you.

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I want one that will literally be used to watch Netflix/the odd stream and web browsing. Which ones are the best ones without paying for shit that it won't be used for but at the same time not exploding or breaking? I was thinking around £70 - £100, but I have a feeling that I'm looking at expensive ones that won't have half the features used. I have a Xperia Z2 compact for myself, but the missus wants one for watching Netflix and web browsing.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I use an iPad 1 for reading books and watching films. It's limited to 720p, so I may upgrade to a 2 or a 3 after Christmas. There is no need to buy the latest one. Just get one that does what you want.

bishblaize

Don't be put off bY Tesco name, Hudl 2 > N7, I have both and Hudl is cheaper
Is that a 2013 N7? I have a 2012 Nexus 7 but its very long in the tooth now so I want a replacement. I like to have a cheapo tablet I can take with me on journeys.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Is that a 2013 N7? I have a 2012 Nexus 7 but its very long in the tooth now so I want a replacement. I like to have a cheapo tablet I can take with me on journeys.
It's superior to the new nexus 7 model as well as the previous... believe it or not, it's probably the best priced tablet out there, only problem is Tesco bloatware and there won't be many custom ROMs etc to support it, but you can easily use a GEL launcher or something similar which is most prefer to do anyway...

EDIT: Spec wise, for your money, you will not beat it, unless you go far east.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
If I want to get a device mainly for reading, but just with the added luxury of having internet and acting as a tablet, should I get the Kindle Fire?

You two gave it quite a hammering in the Black Friday thread.

@Spielmacher @JmRssll555

Kaos

nVidia shield, its the best stock android tablet....seriously.

It has the most powerful processor for a tab, has basically no bloatware, no lag, microSD and is only £240.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Which Kindle are you talking about and how much can you get it for?
I'm not really sure to be honest, it's an impulsive decision to get one. As I said, it's absolute main objective is for reading, and I don't particularly want to spend too much on anything. The Kindle Fire 6 with 16GB is available for £100.

Spielmacher

I'm not really sure to be honest, it's an impulsive decision to get one. As I said, it's absolute main objective is for reading, and I don't particularly want to spend too much on anything. The Kindle Fire 6 with 16GB is available for £100.
For me personally a 6 inch display would be too small. It should have at least 7 inches, even if you're just sitting in bed and doing stuff. Also the display and handling of the HD 6 isn't that great. If you're willing to spend a little more, there is a lot of really good stuff available for 200-300 pounds.

JmRssll555

For me personally a 6 inch display would be too small. It should have at least 7 inches, even if you're just sitting in bed and doing stuff. Also the display and handling of the HD 6 isn't that great. If you're willing to spend a little more, there is a lot of really good stuff available for 200-300 pounds.
I would agree with all of that.

I don't have a true tablet device of my own, however my dad has an original iPad, my sister has the iPad Retina and my mum has a Kindle Fire. Whilst the Kindle is decent enough, it's no comparison to the iPad or several of the other Android tablets which are available. I work in Currys part-time, so I have reasonable experience of operating and demoing a number of different tablets.

In addition, if it's mainly for reading, I would suggest looking at a purely e-reader type tablet. I have the Kindle Paperwhite for that purpose and it's far better than regular tablets for reading - especially when it comes to sitting outdoors, at the beach or beside a pool on holiday. The screen-glare from regular tablets makes them nearly impossible to use in sunlight; on the other hand I have lay reading on various beaches whilst I was in Australia, with the Paperwhite, and never had any issues.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Galaxy Tab S is ace for its price. The amoled display is very nice

EDIT: For reading go with the 10" at least, you'll read magazines nicely with that, even novels are pain in the arse when you read it in 7"

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Tesco is your friend...

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Best tablet on the market when you consider price and performance is this fella IMO:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HTC-8-9-inch-Nexus-Tablet/dp/B00OIHRWNY
For 289 pounds a real bargain.

If you don't consider the price it's the iPad, hands down.
Not really... The hudl 2 is half the price, with the sam RAM and graphics, it just has a slower processor, but the N9 is a bottleneck, it basically means it's excess, you have to build the infrastructure up to support the whole thing, rather than do up one or two bits..

It's like someone buying a PC for £250 and buying a £400 GFX card and wondering why he isn't utilizing it's capabilities

Kaos

What you said... it being the most powerful, it's not even a new product that beats it...

Razor Edge Pro ....

EDIT: It's a bit like saying Emile Heskey is slightly better than Ronaldo...
:lol: The Razer Edge pro isn't exactly a conventional tablet, its more akin to a gaming laptop. It also runs on Windows, not Android.

That's like comparing a plane to a NASA shuttle.

Spielmacher

Not really... The hudl 2 is half the price, with the sam RAM and graphics, it just has a slower processor, but the N9 is a bottleneck, it basically means it's excess, you have to build the infrastructure up to support the whole thing, rather than do up one or two bits..

It's like someone buying a PC for £250 and buying a £400 GFX card and wondering why he isn't utilizing it's capabilities
Not available in my area, so I can't say anything about it.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I bought myself a Fire HD 6 for £79 a month or two ago and it's served me well so far. I only use it for browsing the web and reading though.
I went for the 16GB for £100 yesterday. I only want it for those two functions really so it should do the job.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I went for the 16GB for £100 yesterday. I only want it for those two functions really so it should do the job.
Good buy in my opinion. I use it to watch Youtube videos too and it's good enough quality for me. Also, a 6 inch isn't to small like people have said, it's perfect for the job. Battery life isn't as marvelous as some devices but lasts about a day and a half for me dependning how much I use it.

Cina

What you said... it being the most powerful, it's not even a new product that beats it...

Razor Edge Pro ....

EDIT: It's a bit like saying Emile Heskey is slightly better than Ronaldo...
:lol: what a ridiculous comparison

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Good buy in my opinion. I use it to watch Youtube videos too and it's good enough quality for me. Also, a 6 inch isn't to small like people have said, it's perfect for the job. Battery life isn't as marvelous as some devices but lasts about a day and a half for me dependning how much I use it.
It's main use for me will be so that I don't have to try and balance a 1000+ page textbook when reading in bed or on the bus/train so I don't think I'll be doing too much extensive reading in one go. I don't think I'll be using it much for streaming or Youtube on it either.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ok I'm looking at the galaxy note 10.1, mainly for the wacom technology. Any good reason why I shouldn't?

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Don't get the N7. It has issues with recharging and they have ignored people for the past 18 months. No point in having a tablet that takes forever to recharge, if it ever actually does.

JmRssll555

Bump.

I want a cheap tablet. Internet and watching youtube videos only. It's to replace a very old iPad but don't want/need the expense of a new iPad. What's good right now?
You could get a Samsung Tab 4, in the 7" model, for around £129 I think. There's also an 8" version if you preferred something a bit bigger. Solid tablet, good quality screen and you'll get Showbox etc. for movies, which aren't as readily available on iOS devices.

Samsung were also doing a £100 cash-back offer for a while, but I don't know if that's still running now. Basically, if you're happy to trade-in your iPad, they'll give you the full £100 back into a bank account between 30 and 60 days. If the deal is still on then get yourself an 8.4" Samsung Tab S. It's usually about £250 - it's super quick, very light and has an OLED screen which is better than the iPad Retina display.