Third Place: Croatia vs Morocco

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Olympics is obvious so that isn't news to me but you state most sports and that is news to me.
Major sports such as; tennis, Golf, F1 are ones of the top of my head that do not so feel free to enlighten me what major sports do?
F1 you get a trophy for being 3rd?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I would argue that both sides will care a lot about this game... Probably more then any other 3rd place game I can think of.
Haven't Croatia won this 3rd place match at least twice? I know they did in 1998 since they beat us, though I'm not sure what happened in 2018.

The highlight of the '98 game was Boudewijn Zenden almost breaking his neck after attempting a frontflip after scoring the 1-0.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Oi, we were 2nd!!

Yeah, remember that :lol:
Oh feck of course, you lost the final not the semi's my bad!

I imagine the least a team ever wanted to play it was Brazil in 2014 after being annihilated in the semis.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Haven't Croatia won this 3rd place match at least twice? I know they did in 1998 since they beat us, though I'm not sure what happened in 2018.

The highlight of the '98 game was Boudewijn Zenden almost breaking his neck after attempting a frontflip after scoring the 1-0.
We took the lead, with Zenden scoring that screamer to equalize 1:1 shortly before we added, what would be winning goal, our second by Šuker.

LoneStar

Its either going to be a complete borefest with 120 minutes played and decided on penalties

or

Its going to be an insane game with both teams going full on attack because there's no consequences

No middle ground
It will start off like that, maybe. Until one team scores a goal. Then it's attack vs defence.

I'd back Morocco if they scored first. They can counter much better and Croatia will always have to be wary of that.

poleglass red

I hate this game anyway, it's not fair on either side as the 2 teams just want to get out of there after their disappointment at losing. I love the back story of both teams, the underdogs, Croatia only 4 million people trying to reach successive finals. Morocco carrying a nation on its back. In truth both teams play to their strengths which unfortunately is not great to watch. Unless one teams abandons their defensive set up for this game, it won't be a good watch.

Jerzol78

Of course! For France or Argentina it would mean nothing as they have already won it all a couple of times. But for the smaller nations the bronze is something the people may celebrate for 30 + years. I was in a bar in Lithuania a couple of years ago and I couldn't understand why everybody was singing at first. Then I understood it was the song of summer 92 when their Basketball team claimed bronze. It coincided with the fall of the Soviet Union a couple of years prior. To this day that is Lithuanias proudest moment sporting wise I believe and it brought unity to a newly independent small country of 3-4 million people.

Same thing applies to Sweden 94, Turkey 02 and it used to apply to Croatia 98 and Morocco 86 but I suppose the latter two have new heroes on their walls now after 18 and 22.
As a Pole, I'll add that our thrid places in 1974 and 1982 are remembered as the highest football achievement of the country. We cared then and if we have any chance to reach a match for a third place (however unlikely) in the future, we will surely care a lot and celebrate it if we win.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
As a Pole, I'll add that our thrid places in 1974 and 1982 are remembered as the highest football achievement of the country. We cared then and if we have any chance to reach a match for a third place (however unlikely) in the future, we will surely care a lot and celebrate it if we win.
I understand you completely. I have been to Poland once, Warsaw, almost missing my flight home because I thought there was only one airport. I told the cab driver to the airport and he drove to Modlin while my flight was due at Chopin airport. Fortunately made it just in time. Lovely city by the way. And great mulled wine/glühwein.

And regarding that 70's team my dad always used to go on and on about Lato next to the likes of Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Höeness and Platini.

Real Name

That Dutch team was magnificient, I think if they went to the final they'd won vs France or would have a big chance.
Same goes for our 1998 team, that semi vs France still haunts me, just like everybody here. Šuker scored in the 1st minute of 2nd half only for Thuram to equalize the minute after, Boban was dilly dallying on the ball and lost it to Djorkaeff. Thuram of course scored another one and those were his only goals for France.
Madness.
I think he was at the stands for our Argentina game, that was a bad omen if I ever saw one.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
FIFA has chosen the referee for the match between Croatia and Morocco, and it is Abdulrahman Al Jassim (35) from Qatar, the referee who played the last match in the first round, in the match between USA and Wales (1:1). He was also the fourth referee in the match between Portugal and Uruguay. Al Jassim has been a FIFA referee since 2013.
His assistants will be his compatriots Taleb Al Marri and Saoud Almaqaleh, in the VAR room there will be four Brazilians (Claus, Back, Pires, Boschilia) and Chilean Julio Bascunan, who was in the same role in the first match between Croatia and Morocco. VAR will also be supervised by Dutchman Van Boekel, Colombian Gallo and American Villarreal.

:lol:

Real Name

FIFA has chosen the referee for the match between Croatia and Morocco, and it is Abdulrahman Al Jassim (35) from Qatar, the referee who played the last match in the first round, in the match between USA and Wales (1:1). He was also the fourth referee in the match between Portugal and Uruguay. Al Jassim has been a FIFA referee since 2013.
His assistants will be his compatriots Taleb Al Marri and Saoud Almaqaleh, in the VAR room there will be four Brazilians (Claus, Back, Pires, Boschilia) and Chilean Julio Bascunan, who was in the same role in the first match between Croatia and Morocco. VAR will also be supervised by Dutchman Van Boekel, Colombian Gallo and American Villarreal.

:lol:
What could possibly go wrong.

Pintu

Well they made it to the final in 2018 and didn’t need to bother with the third place game. Belguim won that one beating England… (Belguim lost their previous appearance against France in 86… After having lost the semifinal to an unplayable Messi).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
18 year old Bilal El Khannouss gets a run out today. Possibly the next big thing to come from the Belgian league; he’s currently starting no.10 for Genk who are first at the moment

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Looking forward to a high scoring affair.

Not being sarcastic. I believe in that

lex talionis

Nothing to do with the match itself, but what an appalling pre-match segment on Fox Sports featuring Lalas and Holden.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Rooting for Croatia. Coming 2nd and 3rd in the last two WC would be a great achievement for a nation that size.