This is all Woodward, the Glazers’ fault

Crustanoid

We could have invested over multiple years and had a team full of World beaters who could have downed City , Liverpool and all comers. But we don’t. We’re chasing shadows here. We did amazingly to get where we are in spite of them, not because of them. Their lack of investment is coming home to roost

Fredo

You broke my heart!
We could have invested over multiple years and had a team full of World beaters who could have downed City , Liverpool and all comers. But we don’t. We’re chasing shadows here. We did amazingly to get where we are in spite of them, not because of them. Their lack of investment is coming home to roost
No

Shark

@NotShark
:lol:

It's all Woodward fault our manager couldn't beat the worst team in the league with what could be considered an embarrassment of riches on the field and bench.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yeah, it was Ed and the Glazers misplacing every other pass. feck those guys but this is on our players.

AshRK

:lol:

It's all Woodward fault our manager couldn't beat the worst team in the league with what could be considered an embarrassment of riches on the field and bench in comparison to our opposition.
Similarly one can argue it's all managers fault how some of our players can't do the basics. I agree today's loss is not to be blamed on the board but Similarly it is not fair to completely blame the manager after his first loss since November 1 in the league.

Schmeichel=God

He has a point.

If we had invested wisely and maintained our position at the top of the footballing world, like any powerful industry leading company does, then the cumulative impact of that would have gone a long way to preventing the status quo we see today.

They dropped the ball. We've paid the price.

Bad management

Shark

@NotShark
Similarly one can argue it's all managers fault how some of our players can't do the basics. I agree today's loss is not to be blamed on the board but Similarly it is not fair to completely blame the manager after his first loss since November 1 in the league.
Losing games is part of football, it's the nature and timing of the losses that worry me under Ole.

AshRK

Losing games is part of football, it's the nature and timing of the losses that worry me under Ole.
Any loss would have been a bad timing. Had we won today and lost against Arsenal it would have still been a bad timing as city would have overtaken us. Had we won today and the next game but lost to Southampton it would have been a bad timing. Today's loss hurts but I don't buy the logic of always blaming the manager. Ole has his flaws but I look at players like Martial and I get frustrated. Sometimes players have to take the responsibility.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
There is 4 or 5 players that a more progressive and squad building focused ownership group would have stonked out of the club quicker than you can say "spoofer".

TB and TB though, that's a minter for them at the moment though, innit?

Shark

@NotShark
Any loss would have been a bad timing. Had we won today and lost against Arsenal it would have still been a bad timing as city would have overtaken us. Had we won today and the next game but lost to Southampton it would have been a bad timing. Today's loss hurts but I don't buy the logic of always blaming the manager. Ole has his flaws but I look at players like Martial and I get frustrated. Sometimes players have to take the responsibility.
I'd definitely of taken a loss to Arsenal on the chin, our recent record at the Emirates hasn't been great and Arse are on a good run of form. That showing today however was downright embarrassing on every level from the performances to in game management. Honesty don't know how a team that was supposedly flying with confidence can dish that up. That's what worries me and it happened at the back end of our last two seasons under him too, performance levels suddenly fall off a cliff after a good run of results.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He has a point.

If we had invested wisely and maintained our position at the top of the footballing world, like any powerful industry leading company does, then the cumulative impact of that would have gone a long way to preventing the status quo we see today.

Bad management
All correct. the general downward trend was downward and now we have a team which has settled in 4th place (which could be where we finish the season).
But yesterday's loss to the worst team in the league was not down to under investment - that's on Ole and the players.

Canadianred17

I cannot believe this post. We lost to the worst team in the league. This is 100% on the players and Ole.

RooneyLegend

Their only fault is hiring Ole and not getting rid of him when they were supposed to.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Ok, it’s The Glazers fault we couldn’t beat a bottom of the league team with 5 points in 19 matches at home with players worth near or over 100m Pogba Bruno etc on the pitch and a bench worth more than Sheffield’s team that was also playing with many injured. Come on lets not become a laughing stock of excuses.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree. These things take time to fix but we were going into a season with no right wing and matic and Cavani as our only natural DM and striker. It’s criminal planning and investment and that comes from the top. That’s 1/3 of a team. I think top 4 was the best we could hope for with the shortcomings in vital positions and no longer term planning in place. I know Oles squad is expensive but the first 11 is still not close to the finished article and we’ve been getting results that have just been masking over this. Imagine we couldn’t get Cavani last minute or Pogba didn’t step up the last few weeks. We’d probably be in 6th with everyone freaking out... that’s how fine the margins are and happily going into a season with those glaring weaknesses is criminal. Also backing martial and not buying haaland when we had the chance isn’t on ole either. He’s doing his work despite the owners lack of knowledge or direction.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The club are in the position they are in because of the Glazers, make no mistake about it. Pressure eased because results had improved on the pitch but let's not kid ourselves that the club are suddenly back. Glazers need to go before the club many any strides towards the dominant United of old.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
feck me. Have we been relegated?

Falcow

I think transfer fees for their starting 11 amounted to 20m.....so no.

romufc

Agreed. It must have been Ed’s mug in the stands that caused our £200m back line and highest paid keeper in the world to concede goals you don’t see in schoolboy matches.
David De Gea £18m
Maguire £80m
Wan Bisakka £50m
Telles £15m

Thats £160m not £200m

Plymouth Red

I get frustrated when folk make sweeping statements about matters such as transfer spending without providing any facts to back them up.
I have therefore gone back to 2000/01 and looked at signings and sales since then by season, shown below. It's a few years since I had to create Excel pivot tables so apologies for the basic, busy look.
I have used bold type to indicate where the Glazers took full control.
Hopefully, this will settle some differences of opinion (I am chuckling at the ridiculousness of these words even as I type them) and I expect someone will see an immediate opportunity to double-check every number. There may be a mistake or two, but I don't think it's far off the mark, however if you are a 'last word' obsessive, feel free to take it apart. If it does have errors, nobody's died, so let's just move on.
Finally, for what worth, I put last night down to the team and the manager, not lack of investment. Although the weather wasn't great, was it?

Mindhunter

This is spot on.

They are also responsible for COVID-19, receding Glazers, the strife in Ethiopia, GameStop shares soaring high, Daniel Pearl’s killers getting scot free, and Navalny being arrested in Russia.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
We have invested.. just done it poorly.. we tried to do a real madrid when we needed to do it our way.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
we were never going to win the league this year either way with an expensive but incomplete and unbalanced squad and the owners and CEO are as much to blame as the manager and players for not seizing the opportunity to kick on. I don’t understand how we are supposed to go up through the gears and play better football without a genuine threat on the right or up front and without Fred no pressure on the ball in midfield (or anywhere else). What I do know is I couldn’t have told you what it would take for us to kick on last summer and challenge beyond getting Martinez tonali sancho etc and just going for it. None of that happened and we’ve still improved a bit which I’m happy with.The one thing I can’t forgive is players walking around the pitch sulking like they’ve already won it all for us when they’ve won feck all. Ole is still majorly relying on other managers players who’ve shit the bed here under pressure repeatedly. Martial Pogba Matic etc these guys aren’t going to just develop a major winning mentality or in pogbas case one day wake up and realise he actually wants to be here so much he’ll consistently move the ball faster to a teammate in a better position or run and tackle and show some leadership. Oles being forced to persevere with these players simply because we won’t replace them with anyone more suitable until our hand is forced. It’s always totally reactionary management from above instead of getting in front of a problem and fixing it we wait till we are desperate and let other clubs rinse us over and over

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Was waiting for blame the Glazers and Woodward thread. We weren't able to beat a team which has 5 points in 19 games. 2 weeks back everything was fine when we on the top of the league but now everything is owners fault

fps

“My team I like lost a match and I’m having a tantrum.”

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We know who Ole wanted and it really comes down to moments. People might say why he take off greenwood? But others have more experience and it only takes a moment to score a goal. We are still talking ab a game where we had two good goals disallowed.....our performance was anemic but poor decisions. Which may have adversly effected Martial. Because right now he's very poor by his standards and we need to get him back to where he was because our forward line is not as strong as last season. But yesterday was a bad game and we can say the officials cost us the game despite a bad performance. We need to use this as a springboard.

What was wrong with our disallowed goals? Nothing. So I think its just one of those things. Look how many experts and how many turned their nose up at grealish in the summer. If we signed him and not donny I suspect we'd be top but we have to address the issues at home, in concentration and in bouncing back

Last edited:

croadyman

Was waiting for blame the Glazers and Woodward thread. We weren't able to beat a team which has 5 points in 19 games. 2 weeks back everything was fine when we on the top of the league but now everything is owners fault
Just hang on a minute I wasn't happy with this ownership even when we won the double in 2008 so please don't tarnish me with that same kneejerk brush as other members of our fanbase

romufc

Sorry, you’re right. We have no right to expect to beat Sheffield Utd with that. Maybe you’d be more happy if we spunked another £40m on the next flavour of the month and watch him defend like a schoolboy.
I was just correcting you, I didn't say we shouldn't expect to beat SU, thats you putting words in my mouth.

I never realised that a football team defends with just defenders. I would prefer my team as 10 outfield players to put a defensive shift not just the defence, in that the winger needs to track his full back, the CM need to protect the edge of the box.

I am not like you expecting my 4 defenders to defend everything when the ball is not being pressed by the forward players.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He has a point.

Bad management
This is true...not specific to the last game...but it’s true. We tend be reactive not proactive. If we don’t get top four we spend. If we do get top four...we have a summer like last

stevoc

He has a point.

Bad management
Well to be fair that got off to a very bad start when Alex Ferguson chose a clown like Moyes to replace him. The board then compounded that bad decision by hiring Van Gaal who seemed intent on getting rid of every one of Ferguson's players in as short a time as possible. Thats no way to refresh a title winning squad and build for the future.

By the time Mourinho came in the damage was done, it's taken Solskjaer 2 years just to get the squad in decent shape again by making the hard choices on players like Fellaini and Lingard that his predecessors wouldn't.