Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Watched Dynamite and I really have little time for the CCTV stuff, especially as like noodle said it was all just so meh. Aside from Tony's ego being hurt over the Punk interview on Helwani I can only think they thought it might be a way to bring Perry back into the fold but it's still comes across as petty and small time. Should've just ignored it all. I watch AEW foremost because I enjoy the actual wrestling product way more than the soap opera elements around it so they need to stick to their niche of putting on great wrestling matches and not coming off like a kid who's been told to sit on the naughty step.

The Ospreay stuff I have less of a problem with. Probably not the right episode to do it on with the above happening but he absolutely has the right to clap back at HHH for his comments. To say he's someone who's afraid of the grind also comes across as salty. He's worked his backside off wrestling in Japan and still coming back week after week to work indie shows for the likes of RevPro and I even remember him putting together a show during Covid to give a lot of the UK guys who were struggling for work at the time some much needed support. Picking AEW was absolutely the right move for him. More money, the wrestling is more his style, it allows him to spend more time with his partner and family, work indies/NJPW still if he wants to and of course he'll probably headline Wembley this year. Nobody in their right mind wouldn't pick that. I don't normally recommend anything with Jericho involved but the interview he did with him on his podcast a couple of months back is really worth a listen.

Anyway in other news I see that WWE have got Guilia. No talk about that on here? She's pretty awesome and given a push she'll blow the likes of Jade away. She has both the look/chartisma and can actually go in the ring. Jade to me looks no different from when she was in AEW and if anyone needs the "doesn't fancy the grind" label throwing at them it's her. I strongly suspect she's only interested in using wrestling as a very quick stepping stone to Hollywood but we shall see.
I can't see how anyone thought showing that CCTV footage would do anything for Perry other than invite a nuclear amount of "go home" heat from which he may never recover. He's hardly got the charisma or ring-presence to shake it off.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
They needed his permission or to blur him right given its considered uk cctv (where the incident happened). And it's footage outside the standard wrestling show entertainment bracket.
This is quite funny. I assume nothing comes from it but still funny
They'd need everyone in that videos permission. The laws are that strict that technically, you can no longer just hand over CCTV to police (or even allow them to view it really), they have to come in with a request from.

And here's Tony, literally broadcasting it worldwide.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I can't see how anyone thought showing that CCTV footage would do anything for Perry other than invite a nuclear amount of "go home" heat from which he may never recover. He's hardly got the charisma or ring-presence to shake it off.
He's getting that when he comes back anyway in all honesty. Might as well come back as a heel.

El Zoido

Woah woah woah… Bruno Fernandes did WHAT?! Tell me you still have the link…

And agreed. But I think Will Ostrich (whatever his name his) was the most embarrassing thing about AEW on the day. From the clip I saw on Twitter. Saying that line about HHH getting to where he is because of Stephanie, which hasn’t been funny since Jericho said it in about 2001, and then looking at the crowd like he’d said something brilliant. Cringe. All it did was as prove he’s sensitive to the truth, highlighted that he is a lazy shit, and made me thankful that he’s not at WWE where people actually watch
They shouldn’t get so bent out of shape over it, HHH is right. If you go to WWE you have a harder schedule, have to move to America and you’re on the road a lot. It’s a harder job but with far greater rewards if you make it big. Someone like Ostrich would get paid a lot less at WWE initially because he’s not much of a draw despite being a good wrestler.

Tony is paying him a fecking fortune to be a part timer who spends more time at home in England than he does at work with AEW. Can’t blame him at all for taking that gig, but maybe don’t get upset about HHH saying he wants people 100% committed to the cause. It’s a totally fair comment, and not even really a criticism, just a statement of fact.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
They shouldn’t get so bent out of shape over it, HHH is right. If you go to WWE you have a harder schedule, have to move to America and you’re on the road a lot. It’s a harder job but with far greater rewards if you make it big. Someone like Ostrich would get paid a lot less at WWE initially because he’s not much of a draw despite being a good wrestler.

Tony is paying him a fecking fortune to be a part timer who spends more time at home in England than he does at work with AEW. Can’t blame him at all for taking that gig, but maybe don’t get upset about HHH saying he wants people 100% committed to the cause. It’s a totally fair comment, and not even really a criticism, just a statement of fact.
No offence but you sound about 12 with the silly name calling. He's not a part timer in AEW at all and his been on one of the shows in some capacity every week since he signed as well as wrestling more matches than Roman probably has in a whole year already. Quite simply, he doesn't want to move to America and uproot his family life which is perfectly understandable. Taking shots at his work ethic is a low blow and just plain wrong.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He's getting that when he comes back anyway in all honesty. Might as well come back as a heel.
His whole thing was going to be coming back as a heel in a "I was right and Tony threw me under the bus" capacity. It could have even turned into an anti-authority face run.

That probably would have worked without the footage. As it is, everyone saw him being a little dweeb that got his arse handed to him, and that Punk's version of events was pretty much entirely truthful.

AEW essentially lost Punk because of this, and they've now justified his departure.

There's getting heat for being a heel, and there's getting heat because people simply don't care for you, and Perry's going to have a massive uphill battle on his hands to stop the latter.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
His whole thing was going to be coming back as a heel in a "I was right and Tony threw me under the bus" capacity. It could have even turned into an anti-authority face run.

That probably would have worked without the footage. As it is, everyone saw him being a little dweeb that got his arse handed to him, and that Punk's version of events was pretty much entirely truthful.

AEW essentially lost Punk because of this, and they've now justified his departure.

There's getting heat for being a heel, and there's getting heat because people simply don't care for you, and Perry's going to have a massive uphill battle on his hands to stop the latter.
I don't think anyone really cared for him anyway did they? :lol: But it would be interesting to know what's going through his mind right now. Punk was very obviously gonna go anyway after the initial blow up with the Bucks. A good boss would've took action and binned him there and then (just for the press comments never mind the fight) but we all know he idolised the guy and couldn't do it, hence bending over backwards to give him his own show.

El Zoido

No offence but you sound about 12 with the silly name calling. He's not a part timer in AEW at all and his been on one of the shows in some capacity every week since he signed as well as wrestling more matches than Roman probably has in a whole year already. Quite simply, he doesn't want to move to America and uproot his family life which is perfectly understandable. Taking shots at his work ethic is a low blow and just plain wrong.
Roman has leukaemia, and is one of the biggest stars in the industry in the past decade. And yeah he’s a part timer with AEW, sorry. He just is. He doesn’t work a full schedule like he would with WWE. Look I’m not blaming him, who wouldn’t take the easy money to work a part time schedule. But that’s just the reality.

And Ostrich is a Cornyism that I’m keeping, it’s great.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Don't think the comments made by triple H were specifically for ospreay, I think it was in general as those points of working lighter schedules etc normally come up in this discussion.

Both points are completely fair and valid. If youre at a point in your career, where you want to work a lighter schedule whilst still getting some exposure, fair enough.

But it's also fair enough, that triple H not want to necessarily work with those people at those points in the career, either.

I didn't see a lot wrong with Triple Hs comments but I thought Ospreays were quite juvenile. They've been together over 20 years and have children together. It's the type of insult that gets a pop from a kid on the internet.

Holocene

Watched Dynamite and I really have little time for the CCTV stuff, especially as like noodle said it was all just so meh. Aside from Tony's ego being hurt over the Punk interview on Helwani I can only think they thought it might be a way to bring Perry back into the fold but it's still comes across as petty and small time. Should've just ignored it all. I watch AEW foremost because I enjoy the actual wrestling product way more than the soap opera elements around it so they need to stick to their niche of putting on great wrestling matches and not coming off like a kid who's been told to sit on the naughty step.

The Ospreay stuff I have less of a problem with. Unfortunate timing with the above happening but he absolutely has the right to clap back at HHH for his comments. To say he's someone who's afraid of the grind also comes across as salty. He's worked his backside off wrestling in Japan and still coming back week after week to work indie shows for the likes of RevPro and I even remember him putting together a show during Covid to give a lot of the UK guys who were struggling for work at the time some much needed support. Picking AEW was absolutely the right move for him. More money, the wrestling is more his style, it allows him to spend more time with his partner and family, work indies/NJPW still if he wants to and of course he'll probably headline Wembley this year. Nobody in their right mind wouldn't pick that. I don't normally recommend anything with Jericho involved but the interview he did with him on his podcast a couple of months back is really worth a listen.

Anyway in other news I see that WWE have got Guilia. No talk about that on here? She's pretty awesome and given a push she'll blow the likes of Jade away. She has both the look/chartisma and can actually go in the ring. Jade to me looks no different from when she was in AEW and if anyone needs the "doesn't fancy the grind" label throwing at them it's her. I strongly suspect she's only interested in using wrestling as a very quick stepping stone to Hollywood but we shall see.
I'm not sure if it was the goal, but it's a matter of days after one of the biggest and best Mania's of all time. Yet all the discourse is about... AEW. Just look at this thread. It's the same everywhere.

Do I think it was a good idea and they should have done it? Absolutely not.

Roman has leukaemia, and is one of the biggest stars in the industry in the past decade. And yeah he’s a part timer with AEW, sorry. He just is. He doesn’t work a full schedule like he would with WWE. Look I’m not blaming him, who wouldn’t take the easy money to work a part time schedule. But that’s just the reality.

Jim Cornette fanboys are weird.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC

I dunno what Ospreays schedule is, but by your definition, everything outside of WWE is part-time, which is obviously not true. No other company has a schedule like WWE so bit silly to compare.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't think anyone really cared for him anyway did they? :lol: But it would be interesting to know what's going through his mind right now. Punk was very obviously gonna go anyway after the initial blow up with the Bucks. A good boss would've took action and binned him there and then (just for the press comments never mind the fight) but we all know he idolised the guy and couldn't do it, hence bending over backwards to give him his own show.
He seemed fairly over in the tag team with Luchasaurus, and should have got a rub from the feud with Christian.

I don't think he was destined for main event status, but I figured he could have had a decent spot in the mid-card because he always seemed a decent enough worker and he was/is one of the "pillars".

I'm not sure what they do with him in AEW now.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports

Ah right that explains a lot then.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I'm not sure if it was the goal, but it's a matter of days after one of the biggest and best Mania's of all time. Yet all the discourse is about... AEW. Just look at this thread. It's the same everywhere.

Do I think it was a good idea and they should have done it? Absolutely not.

Jim Cornette fanboys are weird.
All fanboys are weird. Some people need a cult to belong to though I guess.

El Zoido

I dunno what Ospreays schedule is, but by your definition, everything outside of WWE is part-time, which is obviously not true. No other company has a schedule like WWE so bit silly to compare.
Again, it’s not a criticism, just saying that they’re looking for different things from the business and career. Will wants to spend more time with his family in the UK and AEW is offering him that, and paying him 4m per year. Not a criticism. Okada is back in Japan doing nothing for 6 weeks while getting a huge salary from AEW. Not a criticism. Does either want to move to Florida and work 7 days per week for WWE. Probably not. Not a criticism. And I have to stress THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM. But WWE wants people who want to live and breathe this 24/7, and Ospreay and Okada at this point in their careers don’t want that. And may I just say because I know AEW fans are a bit sensitive when you don’t worship their idols, this is not a criticism of either wrestler in terms of their talent or on a personal level. It’s just a difference of direction for company and person, it is not a criticism. Please understand I’m not criticising either

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
He seemed fairly over in the tag team with Luchasaurus, and should have got a rub from the feud with Christian.

I don't think he was destined for main event status, but I figured he could have had a decent spot in the mid-card because he always seemed a decent enough worker and he was/is one of the "pillars".

I'm not sure what they do with him in AEW now.
He kind of was in the tag team but I honestly think people just liked singing the song more than anything. After going solo and then the heel run he was really just treading water to an extent. He's not really awful or really great at anything, just kind of meh. Definition of mid card yeah.

I think the best thing for him to do now is play into any crowd heat and join the Elite. There's really no other option as far as I can see.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He kind of was in the tag team but I honestly think people just liked singing the song more than anything. After going solo and then the heel run he was really just treading water to an extent. He's not really awful or really great at anything, just kind of meh. Definition of mid card yeah.

I think the best thing for him to do now is play into any crowd heat and join the Elite. There's really no other option as far as I can see.
Truthfully, I felt him and Guevara both seemed to have far too much air time compared to what they actually brought to the product. Definition of mid-card being presented as future main-eventers.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Again, it’s not a criticism, just saying that they’re looking for different things from the business and career. Will wants to spend more time with his family in the UK and AEW is offering him that, and paying him 4m per year. Not a criticism. Okada is back in Japan doing nothing for 6 weeks while getting a huge salary from AEW. Not a criticism. Does either want to move to Florida and work 7 days per week for WWE. Probably not. Not a criticism. And I have to stress THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM. But WWE wants people who want to live and breathe this 24/7, and Ospreay and Okada at this point in their careers don’t want that. And may I just say because I know AEW fans are a bit sensitive when you don’t worship their idols, this is not a criticism of either wrestler in terms of their talent or on a personal level. It’s just a difference of direction for company and person, it is not a criticism. Please understand I’m not criticising either
It might not be a criticism from you but you can see why someone who's worked in this business since he was kid all over the world might be offended that someone said "he's not up for the grind" right? Just listened back to what he said about choosing AEW over WWE and he said "I respect everyone there (in WWE) doing it but it was just not for me." He cites being able to live in the UK and not uproot his partner and her son who just started school as the biggest reason. Also said the money was loads better and he wanted to pay Tony back for the trust he'd shown in him already.

Truthfully, I felt him and Guevara both seemed to have far too much air time compared to what they actually brought to the product. Definition of mid-card being presented as future main-eventers.
Yeah I have very little time for either. MJF is on a different level altogether and Darby has carved out his own niche as a real life crash test dummy.

El Zoido

It might not be a criticism from you but you can see why someone who's worked in this business since he was kid all over the world might be offended that someone said "he's not up for the grind" right? Just listened back to what he said about choosing AEW over WWE and he said "I respect everyone there (in WWE) doing it but it was just not for me." He cites being able to live in the UK and not uproot his partner and her son who just started school as the biggest reason. Also said the money was loads better and he wanted to pay Tony back for the trust he'd shown in him already.
Yep and it’s totally fair, and I don’t think HHH was talking about him specifically, nor was it said with any malice or bitterness on the part of HHH. It’s just business. And HHH nearly died not long ago so I’m sure he’d respect any man’s decision to prioritise life and family above all else. That’s why I think it’s petty for Ospreay (or Tony Khan, or whoever) to have a dig back. AEW is becoming more and more insular and playing to their own crowd, I’m not sure this is the way to go.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Woah woah woah… Bruno Fernandes did WHAT?! Tell me you still have the link…

And agreed. But I think Will Ostrich (whatever his name his) was the most embarrassing thing about AEW on the day. From the clip I saw on Twitter. Saying that line about HHH getting to where he is because of Stephanie, which hasn’t been funny since Jericho said it in about 2001, and then looking at the crowd like he’d said something brilliant. Cringe. All it did was as prove he’s sensitive to the truth, highlighted that he is a lazy shit, and made me thankful that he’s not at WWE where people actually watch
I think he's better suited to AEW anyway, weirdly.

All the high flying crazy stuff would be curbed/toned down in WWE, where as in AEW its right at home...and then he's rubbish at the mic talking and other stuff so he'd never be in more than a Ricochet type role anyway, imo.

Ricochet vs Osprey would be a cool undercard Mania match but other than that I don't think its a great loss for either WWE or Osprey.

Sylar

There was nothing wrong with Ospreay having a dig. HHH was subtle in his dig because lets be honest, he didnt say any names but it was aimed towards Ospreay (whether directly or indirectly). Ospreay retaliated which happens a lot in wrestling. The thing is, it came on the same episode with the nonsense cctv and secondly, his actual dig was something thats been heard for 20 years. It wasnt new, bruv. Plus it made Renee look embarrassed / awkward.

I like Ospreay, and hes had some great matches since coming to AEW. Looking forward to see him work with Danielson and the like. But the obvious feud waiting for him in WWE would be Rollins. I did want to see how him and Okada would have done in the WWE environment with HHH in charge now, especially as weve seen both of them in AEW previously. It would have been interested.

El Zoido

There was nothing wrong with Ospreay having a dig. HHH was subtle in his dig because lets be honest, he didnt say any names but it was aimed towards Ospreay (whether directly or indirectly). Ospreay retaliated which happens a lot in wrestling. The thing is, it came on the same episode with the nonsense cctv and secondly, his actual dig was something thats been heard for 20 years. It wasnt new, bruv. Plus it made Renee look embarrassed / awkward.

I like Ospreay, and hes had some great matches since coming to AEW. Looking forward to see him work with Danielson and the like. But the obvious feud waiting for him in WWE would be Rollins. I did want to see how him and Okada would have done in the WWE environment with HHH in charge now, especially as weve seen both of them in AEW previously. It would have been interested.
He’s better off in AEW at this stage in his career, he’d have been mid card in WWE to begin with, and nowhere near Rollins since 99% of WWE fans would have no idea who he was. They don’t put unknowns on their programming much, and there’s a whole aspect to WWE production that’s different to anything he’ll have ever done before. His in-ring work is good so he’d have got a good push, pretty sure of that. It would’ve been interesting though, I like him more than a lot of mid carders at WWE plus his style would’ve added something. I want to see MJF in WWE more than Ospreay, he seems much better suited to it.

Zen

How many times is Ospreay gonna bang on about his commute? We all know Khan pays for first class, so it's hardly like he's trawling around in a rental. I get he used to travel more with us regular folk before AEW, but yeah, his "working" week nowadays is cushy.... and yes, it's well earned, but it's still cushy. Just accept it, or given that you are supposedly in the Don Callis family - despite fighting and beating them all for some reason - use it as to feed that you are supposed to be a heel, but he's not.

Ospreay's just there to earn Meltzer stars at the moment.

TheGame

I think he's better suited to AEW anyway, weirdly.

All the high flying crazy stuff would be curbed/toned down in WWE, where as in AEW its right at home...and then he's rubbish at the mic talking and other stuff so he'd never be in more than a Ricochet type role anyway, imo.

Ricochet vs Osprey would be a cool undercard Mania match but other than that I don't think its a great loss for either WWE or Osprey.
I’ve seen a clip on social media where Osprey and Richochet have wrestled each other before somewhere.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I’ve seen a clip on social media where Osprey and Richochet have wrestled each other before somewhere.
Very famous match. Vader hated it and worked his way into a match with Ospreay on the indies by shitting on it online.

El Zoido

Calling BS on that, Observer knows feck all about WWE. They’ve been wrong on so much stuff regarding WWE in the past year or so. The story I read was that Austin had a personal issue come up that weekend, but that’s also just gossip. It’s very hard to believe they couldn’t come to an agreement with Austin for such a massive occasion. He’s close with The Rock, too. Time will tell, but I think this story is wrong.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
And vader won :lol:
Vader wanted it to be a series of three matches!

Think Ospreay basically agreed to it because it was getting a lot of attention, but had no interest in putting the old man over again.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Calling BS on that, Observer knows feck all about WWE. They’ve been wrong on so much stuff regarding WWE in the past year or so. The story I read was that Austin had a personal issue come up that weekend, but that’s also just gossip. It’s very hard to believe they couldn’t come to an agreement with Austin for such a massive occasion. He’s close with The Rock, too. Time will tell, but I think this story is wrong.
I don't believe it was money. HHH threw the book at this year he wouldn't have missed out on Austin over a fee issue.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't believe it was money. HHH threw the book at this year he wouldn't have missed out on Austin over a fee issue.

The story I heard is Austin didn't want to be part of a team of wrestlers coming to Cody's aid which is what happened. He wanted to come down alone and they couldn't work round that.

El Zoido

The story I heard is Austin didn't want to be part of a team of wrestlers coming to Cody's aid which is what happened. He wanted to come down alone and they couldn't work round that.
I heard his wife was unwell and couldn’t travel so he stayed behind to be with her.

Zen

Why not? He's missing out on the best free agents over a fee issue.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
White, Ospreay, Okada, Sasha...

He (or well, probably Nick Khan) aren't willing to overpay to the levels Tony Khan is.
Not one of these is on the level of Austin, how can you compare?

Bwuk

Why not? He's missing out on the best free agents over a fee issue.
None of them are worth the salary they get in AEW to WWE.

The Austin moment would have been worth whatever Austin wanted (which let’s be real, he knows what the going rate is). It’d of been used in so much footage.

I doubt it was financial. The rumours about his wife not being well seem believable. Taker felt a bit out of place. I think they’d of booked it differently if they’d always planned on it being Taker.