Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

AshRK

What was the purpose of showing the video? What did it achieve from aew perspective?

Sylar

What was the purpose of showing the video? What did it achieve from aew perspective?
I'm guessing it got people talking about their show/company post mania and people who don't usually watch to watch it. Whether it retains them or not remains to be seen (assuming the latter)

TheGame

I'm guessing it got people talking about their show/company post mania and people who don't usually watch to watch it. Whether it retains them or not remains to be seen (assuming the latter)
It seems to me they just got talking about CM Punk and the footage showed he was telling the truth during his interview. They need to focus on improving the wrestling element of their show and getting fans that way.

Last edited:

Bwuk

I can’t believe that had Khan fearing for his life. Pathetic.

Mountain out of a molehill that footage. Anyone who’s played any sort of competitive sport will attest to that sort of stuff happening all the time.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
If I speak, I am in big trouble.

But also, ospreay is a bit dim but this was known.

Woodzy

So it turns out the footage was almost exactly as described. So why the feck did they feel the need to show it?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
So it turns out the footage was almost exactly as described. So why the feck did they feel the need to show it?
Cus Tony feared for his life? Means he's never stepped foot in a pub in England, odd considering his Fulham roots.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Seems the overwhelming reaction from wrestling internet is just laughing at it rather than the shock and outrage Cokehead was probably hoping for.

Castia

The absolute state of AEW

The crowd were chanting CM punk! :lol:

I thought they had some explosive footage to discredit Punk they’ve made themselves look fecking stupid. Proper small time.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They really need to atop focusing on WWE or acting like they're trying to take WWE on.

It's sad and before they were doing this they were putting on entertaining shows themselves.

Although a bit ironic that Punk is the first I can remember coming into AEW and taking swipes at WWE openly on screen

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
After a hugely successful Wrestlemania, the clips I’ve seen from AEW last night are even more pathetic. Just drives an even bigger gap between the two companies.

TheGame

They really need to atop focusing on WWE or acting like they're trying to take WWE on.

It's sad and before they were doing this they were putting on entertaining shows themselves.

Although a bit ironic that Punk is the first I can remember coming into AEW and taking swipes at WWE openly on screen
MJF was doing it a while however because his whole character was excellent so it wasn't an issue and fit in well. The fact they are trying to promote Osprey v Danielson which is a huge match but spent the promo focusing on WWE is stupid.

GlasgowCeltic

When is MJF back, they need someone to focus the show around and he’s basically the only top guy they’ve built yet

LordSpud

I don't think Cody has what it takes to be the big dog for long. He's gotten a feel good storyline and maybe in a month or so, it'll be time to move on. There really doesn't seem to be anyone to replace him though!
If you look at the past massive wins at Mania (20 and 30) then it will be a run to Summerslam max. Seems a waste of a two year push really but then that's exactly why you don't really have it go on for that long either.

Sylar

AEW need to show the backstage brawl between Andrade and Sami next.

LordSpud

Also that footage will end up being the nail in the coffin for AEW. Pathetic attempt to drum up interest just to have everyone laughing at them

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
When is MJF back, they need someone to focus the show around and he’s basically the only top guy they’ve built yet
They've got guys you could have fantastic programs with but have done nothing of note with them. Jay white, Adam cole, edge, Christian, Danielson, black, okada, ibushi etc. If you wanted to build up someone "homegrown" there's wardlow, who I think they should have pulled the trigger on whilst he was on, and I'm probably missing quite a few.

Said it a million times before, he needs to hand over the keys to someone else and just finance the company. If you want a company that focuses more on the match quality and less on the stories, fine, but you still need to make good booking decisions. I'd strongly argue NXT black and gold before the TV deal, focused heavily on match quality and less so on the stories and it was fecking excellent. When they did concentrate on stories they were often hit out the park too.

TheGame

They've got guys you could have fantastic programs with but have done nothing of note with them. Jay white, Adam cole, edge, Christian, Danielson, black, okada, ibushi etc. If you wanted to build up someone "homegrown" there's wardlow, who I think they should have pulled the trigger on whilst he was on, and I'm probably missing quite a few.

Said it a million times before, he needs to hand over the keys to someone else and just finance the company. If you want a company that focuses more on the match quality and less on the stories, fine, but you still need to make good booking decisions. I'd strongly argue NXT black and gold before the TV deal, focused heavily on match quality and less so on the stories and it was fecking excellent. When they did concentrate on stories they were often hit out the park too.
Adam Cole has really gone downhill since that storyline with MJF finished. Christian is one of my favourites in AEW at the moment along with Samoa Joe. However they seem to focus on getting new signings, getting an initial reaction and then they fall down the order. They've got so much talent there and like you said, under someone who was running things effectively, they would flourish.

Sylar

Also that footage will end up being the nail in the coffin for AEW. Pathetic attempt to drum up interest just to have everyone laughing at them
No it wont :lol:
Nothing will change for them. Their haters will remain haters, their fans will remain fans.
AEW will continue as long as Tony Khan wants it to. They still got great tv deals which is important nowadays.

The Hilton

Pretty sure he plagiarised a promo from the year 2000
Triple H made a general comment about free agents on a side show but he chose to reply on their main show to someone he wasn’t mentioned in. Silly stuff.
Ospreay stole the rocks and machine gun line from a random backstage segment Punk did after mania. I don't mind him firing back, but you're gonna look silly if your big line is copying someone else's promo from less than a week ago.

Last edited:

The Hilton

AEW were doing it from the very start, Cody smashed a throne with a sledgehammer at the first ever show which was a shot at HHH, part of the brand is to punch up at WWE.

It worked brilliantly back when AEW was on fire and Vince was still in charge, it highlighted the difference in momentum, nowadays it's sad because it does the same thing but the momentum has reversed.

Shinjch

What an unnecessary own-goal to score. An unserious business ran by unserious people at AEW.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Adam Cole has really gone downhill since that storyline with MJF finished. Christian is one of my favourites in AEW at the moment along with Samoa Joe. However they seem to focus on getting new signings, getting an initial reaction and then they fall down the order. They've got so much talent there and like you said, under someone who was running things effectively, they would flourish.
Tbf I put Christian in that group but his dead dad run has been entertaining af.

TheGame

Ospreay stole the rocks and machine gun line from a random backstage segment Punk did after mania. I don't mind him firing back, but you're gonna silly if your big line is copying someone else's promo from less than a week ago.

If he wanted to fire back, should have done it from a personal point of view either via podcasts or social media not when promoting one of the biggest feuds he has with Danielson. Also fired back with a silly old jibe. He could have just reiterated his commitment to the so called 'grind' in a much better way if he really had to.

The Hilton

:lol:

I laughed out loud after seeing this.

I get how they're trying to work this into the FTR Bucks build, but they really should have gone with a silly reenactment, that's right up the Bucks' street anyway.

As it is, the footage almost entirely vindicates Punk and shows Tony Khan, Meltzer and the guys he's a mouthpiece for, and the rest of the Elite hanger on to be, at best, misleading in their accounts of things. Which in turn begs the question as to reliable their account if brawl out is too.

TheGame

:lol:

I laughed out loud after seeing this.

I get how they're trying to work this into the FTR Bucks build, but they really should have gone with a silly reenactment, that's right up the Bucks' street anyway.

As it is, the footage almost entirely vindicates Punk and shows Tony Khan, Meltzer and the guys he's a mouthpiece for, and the rest of the Elite hanger on to be, at best, misleading in their accounts of things. Which in turn begs the question as to reliable their account if brawl out is too.
Even Meltzer has given up.

El Zoido

I didn’t think I could love CM Punk any more than I already do, but here we are. Saw a video of his Ariel Helwani interview comments overlaid with the backstage footage and it matches up so perfectly it feels like a play by play. You can see a point where Punk looks to his right at Tony (who is sitting behind the wall), which is presumably the moment Perry said “what are you gonna do about it.” He’s inviting Tony Khan to step in a deal with an escalating situation but instead he’s shitting himself at grown adults raising their voice and doesn’t get involved. No wonder Punk had had enough of it all. This is the moment Tony was scared for his life.

Some footage doing the rounds of Jamie Carragher calling Tony Khan a clown three years ago on Sky Sports, after a Twitter meltdown about Fulham. The guy is basically a socially awkward internet nerd with a billion dollars to spend on real life wrestling figures, so it’s no wonder he couldn’t handle what was barely a scuffle happening in front of him. Sheltered rich kid. I saw worse fights on the playground at school on a regular basis.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I didn’t think I could love CM Punk any more than I already do, but here we are. Saw a video of his Ariel Helwani interview comments overlaid with the backstage footage and it matches up so perfectly it feels like a play by play. You can see a point where Punk looks to his right at Tony (who is sitting behind the wall), which is presumably the moment Perry said “what are you gonna do about it.” He’s inviting Tony Khan to step in a deal with an escalating situation but instead he’s shitting himself at grown adults raising their voice and doesn’t get involved. No wonder Punk had had enough of it all. This is the moment Tony was scared for his life.

Some footage doing the rounds of Jamie Carragher calling Tony Khan a clown three years ago on Sky Sports, after a Twitter meltdown about Fulham. The guy is basically a socially awkward internet nerd with a billion dollars to spend on real life wrestling figures, so it’s no wonder he couldn’t handle what was barely a scuffle happening in front of him. Sheltered rich kid. I saw worse fights on the playground at school on a regular basis.
Thing is, I can imagine scuffles like that happen all the time at Wrestling events around the world, and have done for god knows how long.

They're probably just dealt with a lot better then this has been.

El Zoido

Thing is, I can imagine scuffles like that happen all the time at Wrestling events around the world, and have done for god knows how long.

They're probably just dealt with a lot better then this has been.
Usually there’s an authority figure that steps in and lays down the law to the talent. Someone who is in control of the situation. The lunatics run the asylum at AEW, it’s a mess.