Thomas Meunier

RedNed77

I am fully on board with this. Just the right age and profile if Ole is going to buy young uns in other areas.

Him and Toby should give us some experience at the back, plus Meuniers a red. Perfect.

Raw

Prefer this transfer to AWB.

He'll be an immediate upgrade on RB, good in attack and defence and only 28 next season. AWB is good but I fear he'll block the progress of Dalot or even Laird.

AgentP

Make this happen. Could be our easiest signing of the summer. I prefer Muenier over Wan Bissaka mainly because Muenier is good on the attack.

Raw

Also an absolute steal for £22-26m. Is there another available RB as good as him, in that price range? AWB will cost like £40m at least.

GBBQ

Prefer this transfer to AWB.

He'll be an immediate upgrade on RB, good in attack and defence and only 28 next season. AWB is good but I fear he'll block the progress of Dalot or even Laird.
Yeah exactly. plus Crystal palace will (rightly) fleece us for AWB and drag it out all summer to get more options in. Getting this deal over the line quickly and moving on to other targets would be sensible.

RedNed77

Yeah exactly. plus Crystal palace will (rightly) fleece us for AWB and drag it out all summer to get more options in. Getting this deal over the line quickly and moving on to other targets would be sensible.
Yep. I'l have a lot more faith in Ole and the club if we can get a couple of transfers sewn up before the end of the season. We do have a full summer this year with no World Cup/Euros but, its been incredibly frustrating watching us flounder around in July with nothing done in past close-seasons.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This makes so much sense. Good age, experienced and a Manutd fan. Most importantly very good attacker which is important for a FB.

settembrini

Hope we don't buy him. He's overrated on this forum because people believe he supports United.

Yes he is a relatively cheap option, but there's a reason for that. He's considered surplus by PSG and there won't be much interest in him from other clubs.

Raw

Yep. I'l have a lot more faith in Ole and the club if we can get a couple of transfers sewn up before the end of the season. We do have a full summer this year with no World Cup/Euros but, its been incredibly frustrating watching us flounder around in July with nothing done in past close-seasons.
And we haven't even got a DOF sorted yet, I have to wonder what Ed has been doing this whole time :lol:

Hope we don't buy him. He's overrated on this forum because people believe he supports United.

Yes he is a relatively cheap option, but there's a reason for that. He's considered surplus by PSG and there won't be much interest in him from other clubs.
No one is overrating him, we just think he would be a good option for us because of his age and the price, plus he's good going forward.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Also he has only one year left on contract, so shouldn't be a huge transfer fee

Sanche7

For 22-25 million pounds, we will not find a better RB. He's pretty good attacking wise and would provide us with much needed width. Also as many have said, perfect age. LEquipe is pretty reliable and I hope this transfer goes through.

We will have to be pretty intelligent in this window, buying players who are quality and available for cheap should be our aim. Meunier would be a good start, add Alderweireld and Rabiot (provided the manager and the staff are OK with his attitude) and we would have covered three positions of need for less than 50 million pounds. Add Bruno for 40-50 million Euros, we would have enough money to spent on a WC CM & RW

Sanche7

Who do you want us to sign?
There are very few quality RBs out there (especially for the price of 20-25 million) and Meunier's experience can help us a lot

gaz1185

Big fan of his and he's a great option at the price, plus if it's true that he is a supports United he's the sort of player we need at the club right now. Always seems to link up well with Lukaku on international duty too, but who's to say he'll still be here next season.

Fingers crossed it's between him & AWB, we shouldn't be looking at Trippier.

redpatron

Agreed plus his boy Lukaku is already packing up and trying to leave.

He’s 28, We need to get younger period. This is a long rebuild, it’s not going to work with guys looking for their final big payday. Get awb or a Reece James, I don’t care if Dalot path is blocked. Cream rises to the top.

Zoo

We'll sign him and he will lose all his attacking capabilities.

Raw

He’s 28, We need to get younger period. This is a long rebuild, it’s not going to work with guys looking for their final big payday. Get awb or a Reece James, I don’t care if Dalot path is blocked. Cream rises to the top.
Don't make it sound like 28 is old, could get 4/5 years out of him. I'd rather focus our finances on attack and midfield.

settembrini

No one is overrating him, we just think he would be a good option for us because of his age and the price, plus he's good going forward.
He's not that good going forwards though, that's why PSG signed Dani Alves when they already had Meunier. Even at 35 years old and with less playing time Alves has twice as many assists as Meuiner this season. Even Wan-Bissanka who people seem to believe is the worst attacking full back around has qualities going forward that Meunier lacks, he's quick for example and can beat players 1v1 (1.7 successful dribbles per game this season), Meunier has no pace and can't beat opposition players 1v1 at all (0.2 successful dribbles per game this season). He is able to get forward for PSG because they completely dominate teams every week in France and play the entire game in their half of the pitch. That won't happen at United and Meunier will consequently offer us little as an attacker.

ArjenIsM3

Don't make it sound like 28 is old, could get 4/5 years out of him. I'd rather focus our finances on attack and midfield.
Perfect age tbh. Allows the likes of Dalot/O'Connor/Laird a few more years to develop without really being in anyone's way.

settembrini

Who do you want us to sign?
There are very few quality RBs out there (especially for the price of 20-25 million) and Meunier's experience can help us a lot
I remember writing a post last year saying I liked Mitchell Weiser when he was still at Hertha, Leverkusen bought him last summer but I think he would still be attainable for that price and I rate him a lot.

However I don't see why we should limit ourselves to cheaper players when looking at right back. Wan-Bissaka is phenomenal defensively, not as bad going forwards as people believe, English, PL proven, great age. I think United should buy him unless Palace demand a completely ridiculous fee.

Dozer

He's 27, but it seems like everyone wants to round up to 30 given the chance!

Every time I've seen him play, mostly for Belgium rather than PSG admittedly, I've been impressed. I'd have a slight preference for AWB but he'll cost twice as much, and if that saving means we can get the CB, right winger and CM we need, I'm all for it.

MadMike

He's not that good going forwards though, that's why PSG signed Dani Alves when they already had Meunier. Even at 35 years old and with less playing time Alves has twice as many assists as Meuiner this season. Even Wan-Bissanka who people seem to believe is the worst attacking full back around has qualities going forward that Meunier lacks, he's quick for example and can beat players 1v1 (1.7 successful dribbles per game this season), Meunier has no pace and can't beat opposition players 1v1 at all (0.2 successful dribbles per game this season). He is able to get forward for PSG because they completely dominate teams every week in France and play the entire game in their half of the pitch. That won't happen at United and Meunier will consequently offer us little as an attacker.
PSG are also a marketing circus who like to sign big names for the sake of it. Like signing 40yo Buffon. And Alves too.

Meunier is no Alves going forward, you're right about that, but he's a very good and solid right back. Better defensively than Alves is at this stage of his career that's for sure. The bolded part is also why Alves works for PSG in Ligue 1. Because when he has some actual defending to do he's not that great. But that wouldn't work for United because we don't dominate teams and we need a RB that can defend first and foremost and offer something in attack secondarily. Like Shaw does on the left.

Hawks2008

Think he's overrated but if the price is right in I don't mind. If we can somehow get Rabiot too I think it could be shrewd business.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Going from Young to Meunier would be like upgrading a beat up old VW Golf to a Lamborghini Aventador.

What a fantastic signing he would be. Probably means he'll go elsewhere.

izec

AWB one of the best in the league, would take him anyday over Meunier
Yeah but more clubs are in for him and he will cost a lot more. The big issue i have is that Palace will not be keen to do a quick deal, they will hold out for as much money as possible with more clubs interested. Meunier is an easy transfer and can be done quickly it seems to be here for pre season and add some attacking oomph to the side from RB.

Dolf

Get in Meunier and Alderweireld for 50-60 mill and we instantly improve our defence.

MadMike

Get in Meunier and Alderweireld for 50-60 mill and we instantly improve our defence.
It'd be great business especially if we can also sell Bailly and Rojo and recoup more than half of that.

Devil may care

He's not overrated, he's rated as what he is, a good RB with a great attitude and a lot of experience. No one is saying he's a world beater but he can buy time for us to coach up the young RB options we have in Dalot and Laird while offering us good service in attack and defense as he's the ideal age.

He's half the price of Caf darling AWB who still needs to be coached on what to do when he gets over the halfway line, we don't need more prospects, it's the same reason Sancho and Felix, as talented as they are, aren't what this team needs when we already have several young players that need players of proven quality to lift and guide them. People seem to forget that when the vaunted class of '92 were ushered in by Fergie they had Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Keane and Cantona to carry the load and set the standards while they bedded in.