Thomas Meunier

Fróði

I've said this before and I don't want to come across like a broken record but in all fairness these are the sorts of comments levelled at Liverpool when buying players from Southampton, Roma, Newcastle and Hull.

If we get 2 or 3 top quality signings, that may be fine, particularly if they click right away and are in the right positions. However 5 signings of a good quality could also provide a wider boost in squad quality and there may always be a couple of them who really click.

As always, hindsight will be a wonderful thing come about December. Signing the likes of Meunier, Maddison, Alderweireld, James and one or two others aren't earth shattering in terms of budget and may give us what we need to go on and get closer to the top 2. If we signed them and then made third then it would give us a much stronger foundation to go and add some real stardust next year.
We're not really in a position where we're looking for the cherry on top, we need to put a good base in for the coming season. I honestly don't expect us to challenge for 2-3 years and spending 100 million plus on hopeful signings may well just push us further back.

I've seen an awful lot of transfer snobbery aimed Liverpool's way over the last 3 years or so.
This is a really good post. It is really difficult to take a team to the next level. I remember how Ranieri struggled at Chelsea and Hughes at City. It takes time to build a solid squad. Patience and wise recruitment is needed.

Loublaze

ATLien
No, the slight negative is that he's an average footballer.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48502300

Seems more likely that Arsenal might buy him now.
He is a very good, functional player who would improve us.
His defensive career stats are worse than Debuchy's! What's shocking is he can't seem to head a ball and he's 6'3. I think United should avoid him, the club need more balance in a RB. We already have Dalot as an understudy with more impressive attacking attributes than defensive ones. Let Arsenal get him, I don't think he'll have as much joy in the PL as he has in Ligue 1 team

passing-wind

His defensive career stats are worse than Debuchy's! What's shocking is he can't seem to head a ball and he's 6'3. I think United should avoid him, the club need more balance in a RB. We already have Dalot as an understudy with more impressive attacking attributes than defensive ones. Let Arsenal get him, I don't think he'll have as much joy in the PL as he has in Ligue 1 team
This is a particular reason why im glad we are looking at AWB. Younger, proven in the league and unlike 95% of our back four he can defend.

It's telling that Meunier has not been selected above Alves / Kreher who collectively have played above him in his position (Kreher who isn't even a natural fullback). By no means does it mean Meunier is a bad player but those are hardly world class players in front of him for his position. People always refer to Moura as a PSG bench signing but look who was in front of him.

Meunier would be an underwhelming signing in my opinion, PSG seem disinterested in keeping him and I doubt he has an array of offers abroad sounds like his agent doing all the talking.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He is a very good attacking fullback. If you'd rather a defensive FB, then fine ... he doesn't fit the bill. But as far as overlapping, attacking FBs go (you know, the UNITED WAY) then he really fits the bill. Get a fecking grip man and don't be such a crybaby.
Yeah, after that outburst I'm the one who has to get a grip :rolleyes: all I said was that I don't think Meunier's that good, chill out, man.

Zlatattack

Any idea why Arsenal are in for this guy? Don't they have Hector Bellerin. He's a decent RB, especially going forwards.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Any idea why Arsenal are in for this guy? Don't they have Hector Bellerin. He's a decent RB, especially going forwards.
He did his ACL so maybe they're concerned about his recovery next season and want someone in to take up some of the slack, or he might be considering leaving, he's been there 8 years now so he could fancy a change of scenery.

Tiber

The Times called our interest Lukewarm, but its behind the paywall